View Full Version : Butt Pads! Need Help!

miraclegro
11-26-2006, 02:42 PM
I have officially decided to start working on my axel and some doubles, but have to be VERY careful! As you all remember, i broke my ankle this Jan. just doing slide chasse's - caught an edge, went down wrong, and the rest is history. Now that we have a LOCAL rink, i want to work on these things..but need information as to the best padded things to get.

I went to Rainbo Sports and started to order the ones that look like a girdle with the padding in them,but after measuring my waist it appeared i would take and XL! That concerned me, because most of my skating dresses are adult medium. I am 5'5" and weigh 120 or 125 depending on the day. My waist is about 30"- i thought it was smaller until i measured, ugh. But, i don't know what to purchase, what size, and if i should get any other body pads, like elbow or something. I CANNOT afford to break anything else! Thanks for your input!

jazzpants
11-26-2006, 02:53 PM
I personally like the Skating Safe (http://www.skatingsafe.com) pads myself. Just wear two pairs of tights and the pad underneath those tights (to hold them in place.) Unless you get really sweaty and slippery, your gel pads should still hold. Best part is that any 'ol tights will do. (Of course, I can't wear them anymore b/c I am FORBIDDEN from wearing them to my lessons unless I'm working on something during the lesson that will require me to fall a lot... :roll: )

They also come in knee pads and palm pads I wear under the gloves. (Hey, my coaches didn't say that I can't wear palm pads... ;) )

miraclegro
11-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Jazzpants,

i went to the site, and there are several different sizes, etc. PLus, they seem more expensive because it's 35.00 for one. What did you order from them?

jazzpants
11-26-2006, 04:14 PM
I got the UltraCrash pads! Yeah, it's kinda expensive, but I look at it as a one time purchase. They last VERY LONG and they're very durable! I remember the first time I wore the tailbone pad. I immediated tested out the pad by falling right on the tailbone. Stung for like 5 minutes then... nothing!!! (I was skating again after the initial sting.)

LilJen
11-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Also take a look at the last page of the Grinning/Griping thread--there are some suggestions (thank you so much, I initiated an inquiry about them by falling HARD on each buttock last week--wish I could say it was on my triple axel attempt, but really I was doing nothing special, of course--still hurts!).

Skate@Delaware
11-26-2006, 06:32 PM
I also wear the skating safe pads, although I tend to fall more on crossovers and spins than on jumps. There are a few that wear the waxel pads, but they really look huge (not a look I'm into). I like the skating safe pads and have the large hip ones (one for each hip) as well as the tailbone pad. I also bought the knee pads, and when we work on the flip and lutz, I slip those on top of the hip ones (I also wear 2 pair of tights to help hold them in). I don't usually wear anything on my knees or elbows.

When I first started jumping, I did wear the girdle-type that has the foam padding, but it wasn't enough padding for me (I was much bigger then).

I bought my husband bmx protective shorts. They are priced about the same and are dense foam layered in a stretchy short.