View Full Version : Flying or falling (Practice Thread 26 November-2 December 2006)

Mrs Redboots
11-26-2006, 02:20 PM
It's all very well starting the thread on Sundays, but as Sunday mornings here is anything up to 8 hours earlier than it is in the USA, means I end up starting it! This week's title is because I have just been to Peter Pan on Ice.

Flying: Husband's lesson. He toe-pushes on his clockwise runs (in perimeter stroking), which might explain why we have such trouble doing them round the circle in hold! Everything else is working well, but his spin isn't quite perfect, although passable. His coach said the judge will probably comment on his runs, but not fail him because of them.

Together we did a Dutch Waltz, a Swing Dance, and one of the best Willows we've ever done. Even though I'm far from in practice on that dance, it's already infinitely better than last time we competed it as a couple, two years ago! I am still scraping quite dreadfully on my back edges, though, especially the long back edge, but it feels so much easier than it used. When I bend my knees to try to get off my toes, I stick my bum out! Sigh!

We also did the end of the 14-step round the circle and it's beginning to happen now. One of these days we'll manage the full dance. At the moment I still have trouble really pushing into both the forward run and the Mohawk, and I'm rather apt to jump the Mohawk, which is not, of course, done in the best circles!

Falling: We also did a Canasta and I don't quite know what went wrong on the re-start, but I strongly suspect that Husband stepped up the rink when we were facing down it! Anyway, I nearly got pulled off my feet.... but we'll get there. We must start working on the Fiesta again soon.

And I couldn't make myself practice my back cross-cuts. The cross-rolls were a little better, I think - I managed at least 4 pretty good ones, I thought. Whether the coach would have agreed is another matter!

miraclegro
11-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Flying: Although i missed several days due to the Thanksgiving holiday, I had a good skate. Klingbeils still giving me the fits on rt. boot, but am dealing. Did a pretty great camel-sit, back sit, and then tried a camel back sit. Worked on some split jumps, and although still not perfect, got much more height!

Falling: Still gotta get those boots looked at AGAIN! It's messing with my head and with my gold MIF. Ugh. Fell some, but not too much considering i was off the ice for days. Looking forward to trying my lutz-loop and getting in consistent, and working on axel!

Rusty Blades
11-26-2006, 04:01 PM
SPLAT! Since the angry dressing-down about my forward stroking not being up to snuff and working my a@@ off to clean it up, and then yesterday’s dressing-down about upper body control, I found myself simply “gutted”. Ok, I am not very good, and everything I have (however pathetic) I have worked damned hard for and what I lack in talent, I try to make up for with determination and hard work. But today I just did not want to skate, I had no zip, no drive, it was all broken. After fifteen minutes of skating aimlessly around the ice I packed up an left before the tears.

I felt, for all the world, like chucking my skates in the waste bin. I wont, of course, but I felt like it.

Bill_S
11-26-2006, 04:35 PM
SPLAT! ...
I felt, for all the world, like chucking my skates in the waste bin. I wont, of course, but I felt like it.

I've certainly felt that way! I like to either take some time off and do other things for a little while, or to try another rink out of town and just skate for fun. The change of pace lets me come back to skating renewed.

Terri C
11-26-2006, 06:03 PM
SPLAT! Since the angry dressing-down about my forward stroking not being up to snuff and working my a@@ off to clean it up, and then yesterday’s dressing-down about upper body control, I found myself simply “gutted”. Ok, I am not very good, and everything I have (however pathetic) I have worked damned hard for and what I lack in talent, I try to make up for with determination and hard work. But today I just did not want to skate, I had no zip, no drive, it was all broken. After fifteen minutes of skating aimlessly around the ice I packed up an left before the tears.

I've been having those thoughts as of late as I prepare and train for my upcoming test a little over a week from now.
Bill S is right- sometimes a break is in order.

But with all that feeling of discouragement, there is a fire in me that comes roaring back that makes me more determined.

As for today, nice quiet club session. Was able to do multiple patterns of moves practically in peace. That will change tomorrow with the rink run three ring circus and zoo freestyles.

The thing that was falling was my sitspin. Lately, as I get into position I feel like I'm literally on my toepick and can't stay in position.

But

DallasSkater
11-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Mrs Redboots: I love the title this week!

Rusty: There is no doubt that you have worked hard and with considerable determination. We all have skate days like that. Mine was yesterday...but today was a new day! Hang tight. It only gets better.

Flying: After yesterday's crowded rink, multiple falls, and extra holiday "fluff" leaving me feeling like Free Willy is the perfect song selection for me (someone save the whale!), I was prepared for a short skate to just maintain my skate legs. Instead I found a rink that had fresh cut ice, no crowd, and skated the best I have in a long time! I decided I needed to concentrate the toe loop since it was a repeated disaster yesterday. I made sure my migrating pads were in appropriate position and wham....nailed it with what I thought was my best one ever! I tried again...and no, THAT one was the best one ever....again...and no THAT one was clearly my best. Moved on to the salchow and felt easy with good height and timing. Stayed 2 1/2 hours practicing everything I know so far. (Apparently a gazllion pieces of pumpkin pie with whip cream facilitates good skating!)

Falling: Not a thing! Today was a perfect skate day.

Skate@Delaware
11-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Flying: finally got the routine for my other number for Nutcracker....and the show is in 3 weeks :frus: and it's basically blah (4 sets of figure-8 back crossovers? come on!!!) but we have it. We all agreed we might tweak it here and there because we agreed it's stupid! And I was complimented that "finally, you are able to keep up with us and are the same level as us" which I thought was nice as I was able to keep up!!!!

Falling: I need to get mileage dollars for my spins......I only centered one today and I was barely able to enjoy it-during our program run-through so it was spin-jump-jump-jump!! I came back for adult skate to work on my program, only to have hubby take up all my time (sigh) with his stuff-today he was extra-needy. So, to be me :twisted: I taught him the toe-loop. He refuses to work one-footed on 3-turns, although he did them last year...he is insecure and he keeps "forgetting" to wear his pads.

And I got over-charged admission because stupid boy was mad at me because I said we had our own music (and I have the rink manager's blessing, which he knows) and that ticked him off-he was going to skate and run through his stuff (which is not allowed). So, I get to talk to the manager tomorrow :x

doubletoe
11-26-2006, 07:28 PM

Ugh! I know that feeling!! It might be a good idea to take a few days off, then come back and skate for just an hou, doing only do the things you do best and love to do. And if possible, make it a public session so you'll see how much better you are than the average person! :)

DallasSkater
11-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Oh double toe...that is some good advice...that will do it!

Sk8pdx
11-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Falling:
*sobbing profusely* :cry: Will I ever loop? Will I ever flip? sit spin? back spin??? Nothing went right today.:cry: :cry: :cry:

Flying:
*sniff sniff* double chocolate hot cocoa with marshmallows.

doubletoe
11-27-2006, 12:04 AM
Stayed 2 1/2 hours practicing everything I know so far. (Apparently a gazllion pieces of pumpkin pie with whip cream facilitates good skating!)

Falling: Not a thing! Today was a perfect skate day.

Congratulations on your perfect skate day! I agree about the Thanksgiving carb loading method (geez, what we'll do just for skating, eh? :roll: ). I skated pretty well today, and I attribute it to the carb loading, a day off from skating, and 9 hours of sleep last night. Funny how that seemed to make my camel entry position work, even though I wasn't doing anything differently. Rest is important!

FLYING: Not only did I do two program run-throughs, but on the second one, I actually finished with time to spare, even though I normally struggle to finish on time and not go over my music. I think my stamina is finally there now, all 2:40 of it! Landed the axel in both run-throughs and in one of them I also completed the flying camel-back sit, which has been very inconsistent for awhile. I skated almost 3 hours total.

FALLING: Double sal is still under construction. Sigh. . . And although I nailed the only two double toes I tried, someone with a very trained eye told me the one she saw was a toe axel, so apparently I'm still having that problem, too. :( Then I expected to practice my MIF -- especially back perimeter power 3's--on the public session, but forgot it was now officially "Christmas season" and it would be too crowded. I never even got one full pattern in.

Thin-Ice
11-27-2006, 03:58 AM

Hang in there RB-- This is what my skating has felt like since LAST SUMMER!!! :frus: Then miraculously two Wednesdays ago, everything fell into place. I have NO idea what I did differently-- but spins, jumps, even the 3-turns in the field on the Silver Moves test were working... in fact they were going so well, I had a half-thought about testing them at a test session where I was judging and EVERYONE was passing. The test chair would have let me -- if we'd had time.. but of course that would have been a VERY BAD idea... since I would have been the last skater and all the judges would have been tired and wanting to go home, instead of squeezing in one extra skater... but it shows you how encouraged I was by the way things were going. The following Friday's lesson was also going well.. so think of this timeframe as your "down period" that will show you how well you DO skate when you get there. If everything went really well all the time, we wouldn't realize how much progress we've actually made. Go out and have a "fun skate" -- where you don't WORK on anything.. you just glide and feel beautiful and do what you feel good about. You can get back to WORK on things next week. Instead, enjoy yourself for a session or two... since that is really why we skate.

max
11-27-2006, 04:05 AM
It's all very well starting the thread on Sundays, but as Sunday mornings here is anything up to 8 hours earlier than it is in the USA, means I end up starting it! This week's title is because I have just been to Peter Pan on Ice.

Did you enjoy it? My eldest daughter is one of the skaters. I am waiting for it to get to Nottingham.

Sonic
11-27-2006, 06:24 AM

I know exactly how you feel. That's me entirely this week - and I didn't even get a dressing-down.

Hang in there RB.

S xxx

miraclegro
11-27-2006, 07:17 AM
Doubletoe,

I couldn't help but chuckle at your remark about skating off the pumpkin pie. I think that stuff should be banned! just kidding! I gained 5 POUNDS with just taking the days off around the holiday and eating that stuff.

Skate@Delaware
11-27-2006, 07:35 AM
Ugh! I know that feeling!! It might be a good idea to take a few days off, then come back and skate for just an hou, doing only do the things you do best and love to do. And if possible, make it a public session so you'll see how much better you are than the average person! :)
We had this very discussion last night at the adult session...dispairing over the sloooow progress we make as adult skaters, but realizing that, compared to the skater on public session, we really are much better than they are. Slow progress is better than no progress at all!!!!

Mrs Redboots
11-27-2006, 09:35 AM
I felt, for all the world, like chucking my skates in the waste bin. I wont, of course, but I felt like it.Been there, done that, read the book, bought the T-shirt..... when I feel like that I've learnt to go and do something completely different, often figures (my coach taught me the basic ones for just such occasions), or something that I find relatively easy (forward inside swing rolls are about the easiest thing I can do).

"Keep on truckin'", as they say. Anybody who knows me - and an awful lot of people on here do - will tell you that I'm the world's worst skater, but that doesn't stop me having a great deal of fun with it.

Did you enjoy it? My eldest daughter is one of the skaters. I am waiting for it to get to Nottingham.Yes, it's brilliant! Is your daughter one of the ballroom dancers/mermaids/flower fairies? You should have seen my 83-year-old father sit up and take notice whenever they came on, especially when they were dressed as flower fairies, it was seriously funny! But the show is wonderful - well worth going to see.

Rob Dean
11-27-2006, 09:48 AM
We had this very discussion last night at the adult session...dispairing over the sloooow progress we make as adult skaters, but realizing that, compared to the skater on public session, we really are much better than they are. Slow progress is better than no progress at all!!!!

Yup. I was having a frustrating week last week on moves (and may have another this week), so I dragged myself out to what turned out to be a very quiet public session last night so that I'd at least have a chance to assimilate Friday's lesson before I see my coach again today. There was one LTS girl having a lesson at ~ Basic 4 (where I was about two years ago) and a couple of young adult ladies wth their own skates but who weren't skating backwards at all, plus six or eight people on rental skates, so I felt like Evgeny Plushenko by comparison. I find that it's mentally helpful to skate a session like that once in a while to remind myself that I really have made some progress.

Meanwhile, it's back to trying to figure out what makes the LFI3s so hard to do in the APBM 3s pattern; everything else seems to be coming together tolerably, albeit slowly.

Rob

Team Arthritis
11-27-2006, 11:11 AM
FLying:
so I can't get my backspin and traveled 6 feet on every fast scratch, I did 3 decent change squat spins! (that would be change sit if you have A LOT of imagination) :o

Falling:
like Rusty, I'm constantly fighting my body. No kidding but the thing that makes me breath the hardest is 2 lengths of 2 footed alternating turns (imagining FI bracket, BI3) while keeping my head up enough to look at my reflection in the glass:frus: :frus: :frus: :giveup:

Lyle
P.S. Rusty - when I'm down, I play with the kids, they always cheer me up:P

flying~camel
11-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Flying:

We started the new choregraphy for my new freestyle program and it is going GREAT! My coach has really been paying attention to where we place my jumps & spins to make sure we have good ice coverage.

Flips have been feeling so much bigger and better and I'm landing my lutz more consistently.

Falling:

Spins! For some reason, my camel & layback spins have gone on hiatus and my back sit just doesn't feel secure right now. I'm really hoping the problem is the result of dull blades and not that I have just completely lost them!

I've just had a lack of energy in general over the last few days. Maybe it's because I skated a total of 6 hours over a 5 day period and I've started doing a lot of cardio aerobics classes in the last 2 weeks, but either way, my skating has suffered and that has been discouraging. :cry:

Rusty Blades
11-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the encouragement everybody.

Today I woke up with a tod in da hed (sniffle, cough!) so I guess it has probably been dragging me down for the last couple of days. The back gate fell off in my hand this morning so I had to make a new one so my doggie can have the use of her yard, there's a major winter storm coming tomorrow so I have to put up some snow fence so my rink doesn't get buried, the storm may cancel Tuesday skating, and there's no Wednesday skating this week. I sent my coach an email saying I need some positive feedback as well as constructive criticism so we'll see how she takes that. So, all in all it is shaping up to be a wonderful week. Might as well get all the crap over with at once! :giveup:

We will survive. We WILL overcome :mrgreen:

dbny
11-27-2006, 12:42 PM
I sent my coach an email saying I need some positive feedback as well as constructive criticism so we'll see how she takes that.

That's a great idea, and hopefully, she is already aware that she overdid it with the negatives. I was thrown completely off track by an angry tirade from my coach, and it ended our relationship and really sank my progress for a good year and a half.

Flying:
Our local outdoor rink is open! I managed to get myself up early today and got there by 9:15. I had a wonderful skate, part of which was getting to see much of the adult weekday morning contingent again, and part was the free feeling I get on that ice and the glorious weather we had. The graceful and accomplished Helen C was there, and encouraged me, saying she saw real progress in my basic stroking, posture, and FO threes. Those threes are progressing slowly, but surely. I am making myself start over with spins, and even though I didn't nail any one foot spins, I do feel I made some progress in just tackling them.

Falling:
I have no endurance at all! Still leaning to the right on the one foot spins, and still dizzy after just 2 or 3 of them. Discovered that one of the scary things about FI threes for me is that I tend to drop my ankle on the R one, causing a scrape and risk of catching the edge.

Rusty Blades
11-27-2006, 01:42 PM
That's a great idea, and hopefully, she is already aware that she overdid it with the negatives. I was thrown completely off track by an angry tirade from my coach, and it ended our relationship and really sank my progress for a good year and a half.

AAACK! 8O NOT what I want to hear! I have committed myself to a major competition in the spring and I WILL be there with a coach or without one! It would be a lot easier WITH one.

coskater64
11-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Flying: Edge quality is coming back, can do counters and rockers reasonably well, not as well as before the surgery but much better than last week. Have selected music for this year will work with goals for better grace, flow and posture in overall skating. Spins are good, attempted first camel back camel not bad but still limited on back camel leg height, back sit works well just need more sitting.8O

Falling: Actually, not really supposed to fall, and still can't jump edges on more difficult moves and still a little skiddy and stepping quickly to the right inside edge is still difficult.

Started doing weights after skating since the doctor keeps encouraging me to get stronger so the jumps go better. We'll see...;)

Raye
11-27-2006, 02:40 PM
"Keep on truckin'", as they say. Anybody who knows me - and an awful lot of people on here do - will tell you that I'm the world's worst skater, but that doesn't stop me having a great deal of fun with it.

Annabel you are NOT THE WORLD'S WORST SKATER, and many of us who know you would agree with me. I was impressed at this year's Mountain Cup with the improvement you had made in the year since last year's MC, and I expect to be impressed again at MC07.

You also have the biggest heart of any skater I know.....

Please stop putting yourself down - you are awesome! :bow: :bow:

Skate@Delaware
11-27-2006, 02:43 PM
AAACK! 8O NOT what I want to hear! I have committed myself to a major competition in the spring and I WILL be there with a coach or without one! It would be a lot easier WITH one.
My first competition was with my coach (thank goodness!!!!) but the rest have been without :cry: (she had prior committments). I really miss her when she is not there. I know I am a big girl, but she does help me focus, remembers things that I don't, keeps me from freaking out (funny that I don't freak out for shows...)

Maybe one day I'll grow up and not need her as much...

Isk8NYC
11-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Annabel you are NOT THE WORLD'S WORST SKATER, and many of us who know you would agree with me. I was impressed at this year's Mountain Cup with the improvement you had made in the year since last year's MC, and I expect to be impressed again at MC07.

You also have the biggest heart of any skater I know.....

Please stop putting yourself down - you are awesome! :bow: :bow:
Hear, hear!
Mrs Redboots: I have second-hand knowledge that you're quite capable as a skater.

Plus, you're a wonderful online friend!

sceptique
11-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Flying:

I passed my Level 1 Free today - what a relief! I can now forget about testing for a while and focus on a new programme for Bracknell.

Falling:

Just out of curiosity, decided to check out what I need to be preparing for next, and..... :frus:

Who put mohawks on a circle into new Level 2 Field Moves? What a cruel, ruthless, heartless being?

Isk8NYC
11-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Maybe one day I'll grow up and not need her as much...Start recording the pep speeches and listen to them on your iPod.

jazzpants
11-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Hear, hear!
Mrs Redboots: I have second-hand knowledge that you're quite capable as a skater.

I will third that emotion!

Annabel: You are NOT the WORLD'S WORST SKATER!!!

(That title went to me a while back b/c my basics STILL SUCKS... though not as bad now... :lol: :oops: :giveup: )

Congrats to sceptique on passing your Level 1 test! :bow:

Morgail
11-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Flying:
-Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango are coming together. I learned why I was running out of room for the end pattern on the DW.
-Learned the Rhythm Blues today - fun except for those scary tuck-behind things at the end8O
-Slide Chasses have improved.
-Foward X-Over Stroking Pattern is in good shape, and Back X-Over Stroking Pattern isn't too bad.
-Did some nice salchows and toe loops last night before a busload of kids arrived.
-Have lost weight from all this skating:)

Falling:
-My cat is trying to walk on my laptop as I type this8O
-Hips! I am having the hardest time trying not to "pop" them out on the Power 3 pattern. Need to work on keeping everything lined up over one side.
-Power 3 pattern in general - the hip issue, holding the tail end of the 3s while keeping good posture, and the step forward (I step too far out and end up coming up on my toepick to get around).
-5 Step Mohawk pattern feels awkward.

Bill_S
11-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Flying: After my skate this morning, I took a tour through a new student center that just opened right across the street from the rink. It's GIGANTIC with a HUGE food court and coffee shop with a fireplace - and did I say right across the street from the rink? I'll have to skate twice as hard to avoid gaining weight!

Pictures of it are here:
http://www.ohio.edu/center/photos/

Falling: The feeling that skills go away overnight was with me once again this morning as I ran through some gold moves. Coach just shakes her head at my inconsistency.

jazzpants
11-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Flying: After my skate this morning, I took a tour through a new student center that just opened right across the street from the rink. It's GIGANTIC with a HUGE food court and coffee shop with a fireplace - and did I say right across the street from the rink? I'll have to skate twice as hard to avoid gaining weight!Ooooh, I know exactly what you're going thru...especially after I found out that there was gonna be a new Whole Food Market a block away from the rink. BAD BAD!!! EVIL EVIL!!! :twisted: (Lucky for me, my GYM is also a block away too!!!) :lol:

Terri C
11-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Today was a day I just wanted to cry.
Let's see, I'm paying $10.00 (via punchcard) to skate on chewed up ice run amock by rugrats, some of whom are in the hormonal stages of life.
And this is NOT a public session I'm describing, it's a freestyle.
By the time my Monday lesson rolls around, the ice is soo chewed that you literally have to push to get any power. Today was especially difficult.
No matter how hard I tried, I could not get my moves patterns to where my coach wants them and I left the ice asking myself why I signed up to test, when I feel so unprepared.
What's even sadder, is well, I've told a few people here, but if I cannot pass Bronze moves, I may give up skating.

icedancer2
11-27-2006, 06:32 PM
What's even sadder, is well, I've told a few people here, but if I cannot pass Bronze moves, I may give up skating.

Oh no you don't -- this seems to be something that is going around on this site -- people wanting to give it up... I'm feeling it, too, but know that I will not.

Whenever I feel like this (which isn't often) I go back to the basics, whether it be Moves or figures, or dance patterns or just edges and turns and try to remember what it is that I like about skating. And I always come down to the same thing: it's the flow, the glide, that is totally addictive and is so very real, that nothing else really matters.

Who cares if you never get that jump, or that dance, or can't do Power 3s up to speed (my big nemesis) -- just enjoy the ride! Literally!!

I bow to all of you.:bow:

dbny
11-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Let's see, I'm paying $10.00 (via punchcard) to skate on chewed up ice run amock by rugrats, some of whom are in the hormonal stages of life.
By the time my Monday lesson rolls around, the ice is soo chewed that you literally have to push to get any power. Today was especially difficult.
No matter how hard I tried, I could not get my moves patterns to where my coach wants them and I left the ice asking myself why I signed up to test, when I feel so unprepared.

Your rink sounds like a real disaster! I have stopped attending freestyle sessions at one of my favorite rinks because they have become hazardous for some of the same reasons, but now I have my wonderful outdoor rink to go to daily.

DON'T QUIT! You said "if I cannot pass Bronze moves", but you didn't say "this time", so I think that deep down, you are willing to give yourself more time if necessary. Keep in mind that anyone can be completely ready and still not pass a test on a given day.

jazzpants
11-27-2006, 07:29 PM
What's even sadder, is well, I've told a few people here, but if I cannot pass Bronze moves, I may give up skating.So is this a campaign to not let Terri quit skating??? LET THE CAMPAIGN BEGIN!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

Terri, look at how long it took me to learn to get thru Bronze Moves??? 4.5 FREAKIN' YEARS!!! Did I feel like throwing my skates away??? HELL YEAH I did!!! :twisted: Did I have people tell me that I probably would never EVER see the day that I would finally make Bronze b/c my basic skatings SUCKS and I don't have the right coaches and I'm too old and too chicken??? HELL YEAH!!! :twisted: But did I give up on it??? HELL NO!!! And even if I did try to, my coaches and DH wouldn't let me!!! :twisted:

My coaches reminded me after the second retry on Bronze Moves that I came REAL close to passing this time and I did pass ONE judge who has a rep for being excruitiating TOUGH in judging!!! The secondary coach suggested that I do Skate SF "to have some fun." (Yes, a month before the comp I had to put together a program..... :roll: ) But guess what? If I had given up right then, I would not have WON Skate SF. I realized then that all that work that I've put in already would have been wasted if I gave it up right then... so I promised myself and my coaches that I would give it my all for the 3rd try. And well, as you see in my signature, I'm glad I didn't give up! I'm glad I went on and prove those naysayers that they're WRONG and I DO have it in me to make it!!!

Yes, you will have bad days with idiot skaters and rinks with less than perfect ice. (Yes, I have skated on ice that has not seen a Zam for over a day. Not fun, but I managed and lived...) But you know that on test day you should not have bad ice! And I remembered not too long ago (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=298661#post298661) you have much better ice and no crowds and did just fine!!!

Remember!!! AN 2008!!! Location to be determined (probably after Junior Nationals.) The Peanut Gallery ALL HANDS meeting is scheduled then!!! YOU BETTER SAVE UP NOW and you BETTER BE THERE, b/c you ARE a REQUIRED ATTENDEE from my Outlook email here!!! *stern look* :P

Rusty Blades
11-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Give up? Quit skating? Is it contagious????? 8O

For all the frustrated skaters everywhere, I think it's time for a

GROUP HUG !!!!!

Sk8pdx
11-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Hmmm. wonder if it has to do with the phases of the moon...

Rusty Blades,
Thanks a bunch! I am beginning to feel better already. :) You rock!

Terri C, Don't you dare quit, what am I going to do with all that champagne in the cooler :P ?

Jazzpants, Thanks for your fire-y and feisty encouragement! :twisted: :D :bow:

I shall go into my lesson tomorrow morning in better spirits!8-)

Raye
11-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Terri I agree with everyone here. I have seen you skate and you WILL pass that test. I know you can do it, and I know how tough it can be to overcome discouraging sessions.... We're all rooting for you.:bow:

(me and my purple butt are here to join in the group hug.... bad mohawk - bad bad evil mohawk!!)

Debbie S
11-27-2006, 10:31 PM
What's even sadder, is well, I've told a few people here, but if I cannot pass Bronze moves, I may give up skating.Come on, Terri! Don't give up! First, the test hasn't happened yet - keep a positive attitude and remember that it's natural to have mistakes when a test or comp is approaching. In my last lesson before testing Bronze FS, I messed up the loop, back spin, sit spin, and toe loop - an official disaster. That was the week there was a tropical storm named Debby (note the different spelling, everyone ;) ) and I remember hearing the weather guy on TV say that the storm wasn't a threat and "we're not going to see a lot out of Debby this weekend" - I thought...yeah, I bet my coach is thinking that too after my lesson last night - lol. But I did all the elements when it counted and I know you will too. You are prepared for this test - you've spent all this time practicing and your coach has prepared you well.

And if you don't pass, then try again. Like Jazz, it took me 3 tries to pass Bronze MIF. My goal is to pass Silver MIF on the first try, but after watching some Silver tests this weekend, I think I'm going to end up taking that test more than once.

doubletoe
11-27-2006, 10:43 PM
NO, Terri!!! We don't skate to pass tests, we skate because we LOVE IT!! Skating rules and test structures come and go (Remember compulsory figures? Remember 6.0?) but the constant is skating itself--the feeling of gliding on the ice and owning that ice like nothing in the world matters. Don't let the stupid test get you down! 8-)

Big hug!
Doubletoe

jazzpants
11-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Come on, Terri! Don't give up! First, the test hasn't happened yet - keep a positive attitude and remember that it's natural to have mistakes when a test or comp is approaching.Yup! Think of it this way... would you rather get the bad ones out of the way during practice before the test, or DURING the test??? ;)

NO, Terri!!! We don't skate to pass tests, we skate because we LOVE IT!!
And just to show I'm skatin' crappy but I'm not discouraged by it (b/c I love the sport!!!)... I give you my Monday night practice:

Falling:

No camel! So much for that... I had two tries where I almost kicked a skater going into it. Of course, same said skater also almost ran right into ANOTHER skater who was about to go into the camel himself! :roll: (The guilty party is NOT a kid... but an adult skater who wasn't really paying much attention to anything...)
No loops or flips either! :roll: Then again, I wasn't really trying much beyond maybe 2 or 3 of each jump anyway. :roll:
Sit spin is not my best. My lower legs and back were stiff going into the session b/c it's COLD!!! By the time I'm warmed up, I had to leave and pack up for tomorrow mornings lesson.
I'm not expecting much on the back sit either... though I certainly tried for it a couple of times.Flying:

I can (sorta) do a backspin change foot to a forward attitude!!! Now to aim for a nice back scratch!!! :twisted:
BO pivots!!! They're coming along... I think I need to start learning to get into it at faster speeds (i.e. faster than a slug) so I can get used to going into the toe loop entry at faster speeds.Falling again:

Have NO freakin' clue how to put the BO pivot to work on my toe loop! Or at least I have the concept of it, but I don't get the FEEL of it. I tried last week with my secondary coach and well, didn't quite get it... I'll leave it for tomorrow morning with my secondary coach.
Most of all, I really REALLY am getting lazy here!!! It's COLD! It's FREEZING! I HATE COLD and I'd rather stay under the blankets and HYBERNATE!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/muede/d035.gif But you know what? Once I warmed up, I got more energy and I'm GLAD to be back on the ice after a 4 day break! :D

Thin-Ice
11-28-2006, 02:38 AM

Hey Terri--

You can cry, you can get upset.. but you CANNOT quit! Skaters have hurdles to overcome.. and sometimes they include bad ice, other skaters who don't look where they're going, coaches who are more "direct" (mean) than they should be... but we all skate anyway.

Give yourself 15 minutes to just WALLOW in how awful it was, how terrible other people have been to you, how hard you have worked to get the moves to where they are now. Do you remember the first time your coach showed you what was on the Bronze test? Are you, like most, one of those who said "S/he must be crazy!!! I'll never get that!" And look how far you've come! Your coach obviously thinks you are ready to take this test otherwise s/he would not have said to schedule this test. You're just feeling nervous about the test.. which is perfectly normal. Everytime I do the wallow in how awful my skating is (and I admit I DO get VERY dramatic -- but privately and internally -- I end up with the giggles, thinking "Oh come on.. this is SKATING.. it's a sport, it's supposed to be fun, it's not life and death, it's not a cure for global warming, it's not even about what my bosses think at work." )

Remember, there are LOTS of people who skate who would be THRILLED to look like you and be able to do what you do on the ice. Remember there are people -- even on this board -- who are off the ice with injuries just dying to get back on... and you can still skate. They would happily trade places with you.

Think about the little kids who go stand on the spot in the ice where you just finished a spin. They think the spot is magic and will make them spin... but what made the magic was all the work you've put into skating.

Think of your favorite times skating. What did it feel like? Was it the wind in your hair, the fact that you could get across the rink in just a couple pushes, the dress and music you knew you should skate to? What could make you feel like that again?

Also go back and re-read Rusty Blades post about how she felt after her coach had lots of negative feedback and see what everyone wrote there to encourage her.

And think of that chewed up ice as your friend.. if you can push through that muck, you're building stamina.. which will make you feel like you're flying on CLEAN test ice. You'll be fine! And if by chance, you get the extremely tough panel of judges, just show them how adults skate when they are under pressure. You don't HAVE to pass this test this time. This isn't like an IRS deadline. You go, you do your best, they either pass or invite you to retry the test. None of that is fatal. We've all been there.. and we'll all hit those roadblocks again. The worst thing that could happen would be 15 years from now you start talking about the days when you skated.. and then you realize you gave it up. A friend of mine says you can either work on the obstacle and time passes.. or time just passes, which will it be?

Besides, you have lots of friends on-line and on the ice you would never have met without skating... don't you want to keep us? PLEASE don't reject us -- we have such sensitive feelings.:lol:

More hugs!

Thin-Ice

max
11-28-2006, 03:04 AM
Yes, it's brilliant! Is your daughter one of the ballroom dancers/mermaids/flower fairies? You should have seen my 83-year-old father sit up and take notice whenever they came on, especially when they were dressed as flower fairies, it was seriously funny! But the show is wonderful - well worth going to see

Awful to admit but I don't know. I do know that she tells me she is a way too feminine lady pirate which causes hilarity amongst the lost boys.

I see you were mentioned in iskate for rallying the forces at the adult championships.

kateskate
11-28-2006, 04:19 AM
Falling
I failed my bronze field moves test.

Of the 6 exercises I only got a passing mark for one although she said it was very close. She said I would find the next level too hard if she passed me on this one.

You need an average of 3.0 and a total of 18.0 to pass and I got 16.8.

Forward double threes - 2.8 - insides were a little scratchy
Back outside double threes - 2.9 - CCW a little stiff
Back inside double threes - 2.8
Double Mohawks- 2.8
Choctaws - 2.5 - very good on first side and very shakey on second side
Brackets- 3.0- only passing exercise

I sneaked a look at her score sheet so that's how I know what I got since you don't get a mark sheet, only a short comments sheet. General comments were that is was a little wobbly and scratchy.

Teacher thought I didn't deserve a fail and everyone else was shocked. The other girl doing the test passed and noone could really see a difference between my test and hers. I think she was quite a tough judge. She made a lot of people reskate although I was the only fail. Fair enough yes I could have cleaner more controlled turns but I don't think they were so bad to be a fail.

I'm more annoyed that I have to still practise these.

Flying
I was actually happy with how I skated the test. Teacher said I did it a lot better than she'd seen it and she was pleased. And I wasn't nervous which is good - maybe I'm learning to control my nerves

Had a good dance lesson today. Started work on my tango OD and test dances were a lot better. Teacher said I can put my papers in.

Free skating lesson also good - no break from the field moves though. Teacher spoke to the judge and so we were working on more flow generally and more confidence.

And my pictures is in ice link with all the other BAC medallists.

NickiT
11-28-2006, 06:02 AM
Flying:

I passed my Level 1 Free today - what a relief! I can now forget about testing for a while and focus on a new programme for Bracknell.

Falling:

Just out of curiosity, decided to check out what I need to be preparing for next, and..... :frus:

Who put mohawks on a circle into new Level 2 Field Moves? What a cruel, ruthless, heartless being?

Yay!! Congrats on passing your level 1 free! As for the field moves, don't know about yours but my daughter recently passed her level 2 elements and free, and prelim field moves. She was shown some of the new level 3 exercises and they are HARD! One is LFO3 to RBI3 all down one side and then back up the other side on the other foot, and another is change of edge spirals. I passed inter bronze years ago but found the bronze exercises so difficult I semi gave up on them and had hoped the new moves would be easier....well, they're not!

Nicki

NickiT
11-28-2006, 06:07 AM
Falling

Of the 6 exercises I only got a passing mark for one although she said it was very close. She said I would find the next level too hard if she passed me on this one.

You need an average of 3.0 and a total of 18.0 to pass and I got 16.8.

Forward double threes - 2.8 - insides were a little scratchy
Back outside double threes - 2.9 - CCW a little stiff
Back inside double threes - 2.8
Double Mohawks- 2.8
Choctaws - 2.5 - very good on first side and very shakey on second side
Brackets- 3.0- only passing exercise

I sneaked a look at her score sheet so that's how I know what I got since you don't get a mark sheet, only a short comments sheet. General comments were that is was a little wobbly and scratchy.

Teacher thought I didn't deserve a fail and everyone else was shocked. The other girl doing the test passed and noone could really see a difference between my test and hers. I think she was quite a tough judge. She made a lot of people reskate although I was the only fail. Fair enough yes I could have cleaner more controlled turns but I don't think they were so bad to be a fail.

Flying
I was actually happy with how I skated the test. Teacher said I did it a lot better than she'd seen it and she was pleased. And I wasn't nervous which is good - maybe I'm learning to control my nerves

Had a good dance lesson today. Started work on my tango OD and test dances were a lot better. Teacher said I can put my papers in.

Free skating lesson also good - no break from the field moves though. Teacher spoke to the judge and so we were working on more flow generally and more confidence.

And my pictures is in ice link with all the other BAC medallists.

Oh no. So sorry you failed. They are so difficult though. I know there have been some serious re-skates and fails too at our rink lately on those and the inter silver moves. It looks like you are that close though. You should be able to get another go at them. Isn't it the case that as long as your test papers are in by the end of the year, you have till March to test on them again? I'm glad I've not been working on them to be honest. My friend has and is keen to give the test a go, but doesn't feel that confident, although personally I think she'll do OK. One can never tell though. Different judges look for different things and some are more lenient than others.

Nicki

Sonic
11-28-2006, 06:26 AM
Give up? Quit skating? Is it contagious????? 8O

For all the frustrated skaters everywhere, I think it's time for a

GROUP HUG !!!!!

yay! much needed. I'm still trying to pluck up the courage to skate this evening....

S xxx

Mrs Redboots
11-28-2006, 06:48 AM
Definite GROUP HUGS needed, I think.

Dianne - get well soon!

Sceptique - congratulations, and I hope this an omen - Husband tests his Level 1 Elements and Free next week! Hope he does as well.

Nicki - why do you think I'm so desperate to pass Level 3 Dance Moves - no way can I do that 3-turn exercise! Nor, at that, the spiral sequence they expect! If I don't pass (and I almost definitely won't, alas), I shall stop testing Moves!

(Those of you who were kind enough to say I'm not the world's worst skater haven't seen me try that 3-turn exercise!!!! But thank you, anyway).

Kateskate - again, so bummed that you didn't pass; but congratulations that you have your Level 6 compulsory papers in! Those, I'm sure, you'll pass with ease.

Terri C - don't you dare give up skating!

This is long enough, I'll post about today's practice separately!

Mrs Redboots
11-28-2006, 06:53 AM
Falling: Coach Effect kicked in today! Told the coach I thought our Willow Waltz was better now than it had been when we'd competed it two years ago - so he said we'd work on it, and, naturally, I was appalling!

After we'd stumbled and kicked our way through it for the first time, he made Husband do it solo so he could see where, if anywhere, his problems were, as opposed to mine which were all too painfully obvious! Needless to say he (Husband) did the most beautiful, showy-off, superb solo Willow he's ever done! Mind you, it was a walk-through, there wasn't any music, but all the same..... I hate him, sometimes!

But some of it is him, all the same, as his shoulders don't always go where I need them to, and if we are to keep our shoulders square, that gives me even worse problems than normal. I cannot do a RBO, RBI chassé, LBO edge with my left shoulder forwards!

Flying: At least all my problems are down to the same basic cause - my total inability to skate backwards on an edge without counterbalancing! Can't do it all that well forwards, either! Which makes it really hard to shift my weight to where it needs to be to get a decent push on to the other edge. It's a lot better with a partner than without!

Coach actually said my 3-turns had improved a lot! Wish that were true solo - they are better when I'm partnered, I'd agree, but I still can't do them at any sort of speed solo. But Coach doesn't often compliment me, so I'll take it!

BatikatII
11-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Flying:

Falling:

Congrats on the level 1 Sceptique. I think I am joining the 'why on earth am I bothering, perhaps I should just give up now' brigade since I seem to have completely lost my loop and flip recently (ever since returning from back injury) and all my confidence about landing on right foot has gone

As for the new level field moves - they are horrendous. I was hoping to get my interbronze ones done so I would be credited with level 4 of the new moves but I am struggling with the mohawk to back outside 3's in a circle so have a feeling I won't make it in time. That leaves me with having to do the level 3 and 4 in the new moves and when Nicki T told me what they were I was aghast! There is no way they are possible. Change of edge spirals - what a ridiculous idea (given that current level 4 equivalent has changes of edge but ordinary ones eg LFO/I followed by RFI/O and then vice versa on other side of rink). Now they want that in a spiral position and at level 3!!!!8O

I'm a bit confused though since I asked dance coach what the level 3 dance moves were - thinking that would at least get me out of ever having to do level 3 in the new moves but she said it included the alternating mohawk thingies - now I wonder if she was meaning the new ones rather than the old ones. I think I could do the old ones if they are just back cross rolls and crosscuts. Must ask tomorrow.

Kateskate - so sorry they failed you - sometimes they just have a picky day. It's annoying as I have seen people pass inter-silver with much worse skates than my daughter had when they failed her (and the coaches agreed) She was just unlucky with the judge that day.

phoenix
11-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Yesterday was a great example of why I skate.....was in a terrible mood, worked all weekend to catch up on a project that the client sat on forever, then suddenly they needed it done NOW! I got a lot done, but was feeling very stressed & put upon. I did not feel like skating. But I had to go up to teach a lesson, so I just figured I'd stay & skate the other 1/2 hour of the session (I usually go in early & skate an hour before the lesson).

And as I was teaching (which always lifts my spirits anyway), & doing little choreography steps for my student, it started being fun, & maybe it sounds weird, but it really feels good to demonstrate something that I used to struggle with, and which I now do with ease.....to remember how far I've come. And my student, who I've only been working with for about a month is really starting to show signs of life! She was so shy when I met her, I thought we were all in for a very very long slow haul. But she has begun to thaw a bit, and is starting to get a little more confident, and I'm very proud of her.

And so then I really did feel like skating after her lesson. I didn't work really hard, mostly did various twizzle exercises (my LFI one has gone AWOL for no apparent reason).

And driving home, I felt so much better, like a huge weight had been lifted off me. Just lightened my heart an awful lot, that hour on the ice spent more playing around than doing anything serious.

Amandaskategirl
11-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Falling: I didn’t get to take my inter-bronze field moves test on Monday. My papers were in too late – teachers fault but she was very sorry and did do her best to get me in. I am just fed up of practising these moves.

My spins are so dreadful! I have about three good spin days a YEAR but the rest of the time they are awful – all of them! Even the slight improvements which I have made over the last couple of months on spins are so minor. My teacher said that there is such a huge difference between the standard of my jumps and my spins.

Flying: I am getting my head around different combinations of single jumps and my teacher was generally pleased with all of them. Today I did a fast and high three jump –half loop – back inside three turn – three jump.

I love skating but it feels like the progress which I make with it is so slow.

Isk8NYC
11-28-2006, 10:42 AM
And this is NOT a public session I'm describing, it's a freestyle.You should comment on the premium price for crappy ice - not fair or equitable.By the time my Monday lesson rolls around, the ice is soo chewed that you literally have to push to get any power. Today was especially difficult.Are you taking the test on this crummy ice? If not, consider it extra training - if you can get the job done on slow ice, you'll do better on good ice. I used to skate outdoors, which helped make me a strong skater. Testing and competing on indoor ice had me flying!)
No matter how hard I tried, I could not get my moves patterns to where my coach wants them and I left the ice asking myself why I signed up to test, when I feel so unprepared.Your coach probably wants you to pass with high scores, so s/he's being tough on you. Hey - I was told last week that I wasn't even ready to schedule a test yet. Depressing, but true. Hang in there.
What's even sadder, is well, I've told a few people here, but if I cannot pass Bronze moves, I may give up skating.Whoa! That's crazy talk - over one test? There are other avenues you can pursue if you don't pass that test, including taking some dance lessons to improve flow and control (a key MITF element), skating ISI where there are no moves-before-freestyle requirements, or changing rinks or coaches.

Don't get down on yourself - it's a great sport, great exercise, and you make great friends. The tests and comps are just icing. You'll find your groove soon, everyone progresses at their own pace.

sceptique
11-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Falling: I didn’t get to take my inter-bronze field moves test on Monday. My papers were in too late – teachers fault but she was very sorry and did do her best to get me in. I am just fed up of practising these moves.

Amanda, don't get too upset. It's wasn't the best test session the rink had seen - they had a martial arts event on Sunday, and the ice was a bit "rough-ish". Quite a few people failed even though they skated "just fine" according to coaches. So maybe it wasn't that bad not to take it on this particular day.

kateskate
11-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Oh no. So sorry you failed. They are so difficult though. I know there have been some serious re-skates and fails too at our rink lately on those and the inter silver moves. It looks like you are that close though. You should be able to get another go at them. Isn't it the case that as long as your test papers are in by the end of the year, you have till March to test on them again? I'm glad I've not been working on them to be honest. My friend has and is keen to give the test a go, but doesn't feel that confident, although personally I think she'll do OK. One can never tell though. Different judges look for different things and some are more lenient than others.

Nicki

Yeah I'm going to try again. As long as my papers are in by the end of Dec I have until the end of March to test again. I will be retrying as soon as I can. And in the meantime more practice practice practice.

sk8_4fun
11-28-2006, 11:33 AM

Yep, I know what those kind of days feel like! Its best to just write it off when that happens. have break and start again with a fresh head.:giveup:
hope it goes better for you when you next skate

sk8_4fun
11-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Hear, hear!

and you have the best clackers any where around- according to iskate magazine LOL8O

Isk8NYC
11-28-2006, 11:47 AM
and you have the best clackers any where around- according to iskate magazine LOLI really, really hope that was not meant for me, but for Annabel!

Shyly,

dbny
11-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Falling

That comment somehow seems out of line to me. IMO, one should be judged on the quality of one's skating the required elements, not on speculation about whether or not one is ready for the next level. I think you've taken it extremely well. Better luck next time!

and you have the best clackers any where around- according to iskate magazine LOL

Whoa, that sounds a bit suggestive, a la 'Allo 'Allo 8O :lol:

Falling:
FI threes, just did not have the courage to really work them today. One foot spins - I simply cannot keep my weight over my left foot. I'm not sure if it's the fear factor or something else. All suggestions welcome.

Flying:
It was another glorious morning outdoors, and to top it off, they played wonderful music that seemed to set me free. I started fooling around with F cross strokes, holding my arms and shoulders pushed back, then hands on hips, even alternately passing my arms down, across, and up over my head. Joannie Rochette skated out to her starting position at Skate Canada (I think it was that one) with the most beautiful, smooth F cross strokes, and I kept that image in my head. Evidently I was doing it all very nicely, because I got some great compliments from other skaters. FO threes are still coming along, with the RFO still better than the LFO. I've almost got a real check on the RFO.

doubletoe
11-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Falling
Fair enough yes I could have cleaner more controlled turns but I don't think they were so bad to be a fail.

I HEAR YOU ON THAT ONE!! Exactly how I felt about not passing my Intermediate test earlier this month! :(
Let's hope we both only have to take our tests one more time to pass!

sk8_4fun
11-28-2006, 12:10 PM
I really, really hope that was not meant for me, but for Annabel!

Shyly,

yes it was, sorry! It always comes out wrong:giveup: :D

Isk8NYC
11-28-2006, 12:14 PM
No problem; it took me five minutes (and two edits) to write the reply in proper english! LOL yes it was, sorry! It always comes out wrong:giveup: :D

Mrs Redboots
11-28-2006, 01:10 PM
and you have the best clackers any where around- according to iskate magazine LOL8OGiven me by an American judge, of all people!!! I also have a cowbell....

jazzpants
11-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Flying:
Well... nothing!!! :cry:

Falling:

Evil exercise #1: Stroke around the rink as fast as I can, LFI mohawk and set up for a waltz jump. AND, she wants to make sure that my new waltz jump kicked thru is ingrained in my brain. The other thing... if I'm blocked by another skater, I have to go another lap and set up again!!! :twisted: Well, I didn't set up right the first time. Then I didn't kicked thru. The third time I was able to kick thru a little.
Evil exercise #2: Stroke around the rink as fast as I can, and then set up for a spiral (any spiral.) Yup! Same rules! If I'm blocked by another skater, I have to go another lap and set up again!!! :twisted: Well, at least I tried for the spiral. Problem is... the spiral wasn't high enough and I didn't open the free hip enough. So I'm straddle in the penalty box and am going thru hold a spiral position for 10 seconds. Foot turned out and straight! Needless to say, I don't feel my legs when I got back on the ice after that exercise!!! And she still wants me to try and set up again for that exercise!!! 8O
Scratch spin: My best spin right??? Well, there's stuff to work on for that spin as well too!!! She's now fixing my hips so I'm more squared and she wants the legs lifted higher!!! I tried doing that and I can't seem to lift the free leg higher w/o lean back. (And I don't want to lean back b/c I'm supposed to be more on the ball of my foot...)And if that's not bad enough....

(Darth Vader Star War theme) http://64.20.36.214/lucasforums.com/images/smilies/vader1.gif

Yup! I'm going to the Dark Side of the Force! Secondary coach is STRONGLY SUGGESTING that I take ice dance lessons with this up and coming young man at another rink. He is also WeirFan06's new ice dance coach too! And yes, she mentioned about just learning the basics and to get used to moving fast and effortlessly. She wants me learning REAL progressives too. However, she said I do not need to learn dance patterns.

Those of you who are in the Peanut Gallery knows that I've been thinking of taking ice dancing for a while and had a particular coach in mind. Problem is... the person I had in mind is a woman who is a highly qualified ice dancer. (She and her hubby competed in the Olympics relatively recently.) Secondary coach wanted someone for me to partner with. So I suggested the ice dancer's husband. (My choice for a coach and I have discussed this and she said I can take lessons with her husband too if that's what I want.) Secondary coach shot down both of my options for an ice dance coach, mainly b/c she doesn't know their teaching style. She said she knows this young man's teaching style from watching his lessons with WeirFan06 and other students and wants someone who's a strapping big, strong, young man to drag me along in a Killian hold so I would go faster. Secondary coach even said that I can wear my protective pads when I'm taking lesson with him. Of course, another coach piped up and snickered "Yeah, his students usually do!" :twisted: "

To add to this mess even more... I have approached primary coach about taking ice dancing and he strongly discouraged me to take ice dancing b/c I have already enough on my plate. (Sounds like my DH... :roll: :P ) Also, he feels ice dancing are a totally different animal from what I would learn in FS. I have spoken to secondary coach about this and I told her to please talk with my primary coach about this, since he definitely had strong opinions about my NOT taking ice dancing.

Soooo... I have a feeling I will be meeting my assassin... ummm... new ice dance coach soon! http://64.20.36.214/lucasforums.com/images/smilies/vader1.gif :giveup:

Isk8NYC
11-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Speaking of evil: :twisted:
Tell the secondary coach you'll be taking lessons from the new dance coach INSTEAD of him/her and see what shakes out. Once you've gotten rid of the secondary coach, you can take dance from anyone you like, right? :twisted:

jazzpants
11-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Speaking of evil: :twisted:
Tell the secondary coach you'll be taking lessons from the new dance coach INSTEAD of him/her and see what shakes out. Once you've gotten rid of the secondary coach, you can take dance from anyone you like, right? :twisted:LOL!!!! There's a thought!!! But nah, I like my secondary coach! :bow: :bow: :bow: Besides, she's really good at working freestyle stuff, which will be her focus!!!

The other incentive... she did say that he's a hottie!!! ;) :lol: I asked even better than my wonderful NYC coach? She said he's definitely a "reasonable substitute" for my NYC coach. (Yeah, right! I've seen the guy's picture. :roll: :P )

phoenix
11-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Also, he feels ice dancing are a totally different animal from what I would learn in FS.

I would strongly disagree with this, from personal experience. You know I really only dance, but I did do FS for a few years having quit dance for awhile. Then I went back to dance. After I went back, I didn't jump AT ALL for 2 years. Then one day I decided to see if I could still do them all.....and after 2 years of only dancing, not jumping, not even thinking about jumping, my jumps were much, much better than when I'd been practicing them every time I skated. I was much stronger, & I understood the edges/body positions better. I will admit that dancing likely won't do much for your spins, other than giving you killer entrance edges.

The other thing to remind your coach is, while dance isn't as related to FS as he might like, it IS related to moves, which as we all know are crucial!

Besides, we also all know there's more to skating than jumps....what is it....what should we call it.....Oh yeah!! Edges, turns, speed, footwork, presentation......hmmmm, that sounds a lot like ice dancing!! :twisted:

Sonic
11-28-2006, 03:55 PM
I would strongly disagree with this, from personal experience. You know I really only dance, but I did do FS for a few years having quit dance for awhile. Then I went back to dance. After I went back, I didn't jump AT ALL for 2 years. Then one day I decided to see if I could still do them all.....and after 2 years of only dancing, not jumping, not even thinking about jumping, my jumps were much, much better than when I'd been practicing them every time I skated.

The other thing to remind your coach is, while dance isn't as related to FS as he might like, it IS related to moves, which as we all know are crucial!

Besides, we also all know there's more to skating than jumps....what is it....what should we call it.....Oh yeah!! Edges, turns, speed, footwork, presentation......hmmmm, that sounds a lot like ice dancing!! :twisted:

I've recently taken the decision to abandon jumps in freeskate for a while to work on MIF instead, so it's really nice to read about such a good experience.

S xxx

doubletoe
11-28-2006, 06:29 PM
I think it's true that strong edges will help your jumps more than just jumping a lot, so I wouldn't worry about your jumps suffering if you take some time to do ice dance. But of course working on Silver MIF will help your edges, too, so you don't *have* to do ice dance if you'd rather do something closer to freestyle skating.
But instead of getting confused over what each coach wants you to do, why don't you just do what YOU want to do. Take ice dance if you think it would be fun and beneficial, and take lessons from whomever YOU want. I mean, if we can't do that, then what's the advantage of being an adult, right? ;)

sk8pics
11-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Hey Terri--
Remember there are people -- even on this board -- who are off the ice with injuries just dying to get back on... and you can still skate. They would happily trade places with you.

Amen, amen. I know we all get frustrated at times, but right now, I would trade places with anyone on this board who's not injured, no matter how badly or how well they feel they are skating! It's perfectly natural to have feelings of frustration from time to time, but maybe, after you (all) allow yourself to feel frustrated, you could think back to a time when you were injured, and you couldn't skate as well, or couldn't do as much, and think about how you aren't injured now, and that's a big part of it! Okay, so I sort of garbled this up, but I hope you can understand my point.

Big hug to everyone!

Skittl1321
11-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Flying My left to right mohawk is getting pretty good for a basic mohawk. I have good extension in the backwards glide in it.

My waltz jump was actually looking more like a jump than it ever has before. And doing waltz jump- toe tap- waltz jump (repeat) was tons of fun.

Falling
Did Mazurka for the first time ever- yeah, that was no good.
One footed spin was just not happening at all tonight.
Right to left mohawk combination (from basic 8) just did not work because my turn out is just not there for using the hockey circles. (If I do it on a tiny circle I can do the combination)

Urgh frustration...

jazzpants
11-28-2006, 08:21 PM
*sigh* All this about my potentially taking ice dancing in addition to what I have now could be moot depending on my discussion with DH about OUR budgets for next year (and our gripe about how we're so NOT making enough money...) :roll:

Meaning: I might not be able to afford my lessons with the ice dance coach anyway...

Sk8pdx
11-29-2006, 01:02 AM
Flying:
At my lesson today coach revised my holiday program. I am much happier with added footwork and I am ending on time with the music. I also wore the dress I will be performing in to add a little incentive and positive motivation.

Falling:
Bronze MIF. alt. back crossovers to back outside edges. I must get these under control! Test date is January 15! 8O

Really a positive skating day overall. :)

Sonic
11-29-2006, 06:35 AM
Flying:
My forward dances really feel like they're getting better

Falling
Spins are off, but I think that's due to having a blocked-up/fuzzy head.

I missed last week's dance lesson due to being ill, Monday's free skating lesson due to being ill, finally made it to the rink this morning only for my ice-dance coach to be late and me miss yet another lesson.

It feels like I'm hardly making any progress at all at the moment, but having reminded myself of the number of lessons I've missed over the past couple of months, at least that might be a partial explanation.

S xxx

Rob Dean
11-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Flying: The fiesta tango finally felt like it was starting to come together on Monday night, enough that I daringly signed up to skate it with a pro at the social dance session that night. It almost worked--and "almost" feels like flying on this one. We also worked on the moves; the double-3s were improving as confirmed by this morning's practice.

Falling: I'm missing two skating days and a lesson due to a business trip this week, and I need the time to go back and do some basic rework on back crossovers, which have been shockingly neglected lately.

Rob

Isk8NYC
11-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Meaning: I might not be able to afford my lessons with the ice dance coach anyway...My solution's lookin' better than ever! :twisted: Seriously, trim a few minutes off each of your primary/secondary lessons and take a short dance lesson, OR alternate dance with one of your other lessons every other week. Gives you two weeks of practice in between to work on each lesson. You'd need to make notes, so you remember what to work on.

Mrs Redboots
11-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Also, he feels ice dancing are a totally different animal from what I would learn in FS. :giveup:I must agree with Phoenix here, and disagree with your primary coach. Dance, assuming you can afford it, will only help your free skating - you will get better edges, much more control of every body part, your on-ice posture will improve.....

I don't do much free skating, but I've noticed that the people who do both are usually just that much better at their level than those who only do one!

For me, today, it's all falling: Not skating. I had been going to go down to the rink this morning to watch the tests, and skate if there was a spare half-hour at the end, and, failing that, was going to skate this evening (there is an hour's patch on Wednesday evening that is very lightly used, and lovely ice - I've done it once before and loved it). Unfortunately, I have eaten something that has disagreed with me, and left me rather washed-out.... sleep is calling, not the ice! Rats!

Mrs Redboots
11-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Awful to admit but I don't know. I do know that she tells me she is a way too feminine lady pirate which causes hilarity amongst the lost boys.Oh, I know which one she was - I noticed her! Excellent skater, too.

I see you were mentioned in iskate for rallying the forces at the adult championships.Yeah, and they spelt my name wrong. Grrrrrrrr.

Team Arthritis
11-29-2006, 11:10 AM
FLYING:
I spent an hour jumping yesterday, even had the entire lesson on jumping and my knee is only mildly troubled this AM! whoohooo:lol:
Lyle

jazzpants
11-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Oy!!! I think I better start a new thread... there's a lot more complications than I thought... 8O

Morgail
11-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Flying:
-End pattern on Dutch Waltz is getting better.
-Power 3-turn pattern feels like it improved today - the step forward was a lot smoother & I got a few of the 3s in the right place at the top of the lobe.
-I remembered the Rhythm Blues!
-toe loop was good
-Had a few centered scratch spins.
-Did back spins til I felt dizzy. I feel like I'm thisclose to getting more than one revolution.

Falling:
-Salchow was not working today at all.
-Sit spin was dead - I think because I didn't try it until right before I left when I was too tired to get my leg around fast enough.
-The tuck-behinds on the Rhythm Blues - these things are hard!

Hannahclear
11-29-2006, 04:56 PM
Landed a LESS cheated axel today! Turning the extra quarter, instead of hopping for another half turn. Well it's progress. It's getting easier. I can taste it.

Runthrough of program wasn't bad, but I missed my back camel/back sit. Grrrrr......

Didn't really have time to run through my silver moves but a good day overall.

sceptique
11-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Not quite skating, but skating-related comments for today:

Flying:

My husband got a permanent job offer: his first "proper" job since he moved to UK. This is going to have a more tremendous effect on my skating than even the day when I switched from whatever blades I'd been sold with my boots to MK Professional!

It was a 4-year marathon for him, and the last 3 months were particularly tough (3-4 interviews a week on average and no offers). I just wanted to say how proud I am of him (and a little bit of myself for staying by his side all this time!).

Falling:

After 5 days of non-stop shooting and 5 more nights of non-stop sorting, editing and uploading I sold only 4 photo CDs from Deeside competition so far.... and no prints whatsoever. I'm not complaining, this is better than nothing, but I guess, despite the news no 1 I will still have to keep my day job... :lol:

Terri C
11-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Flying:
The sinus (or it could've been stress) headache is gone, and I totally redeemed myself from Monday's Lesson From Hell.
I feel a lot better going into next Friday's test and Primary Coach reviewed with me on lesson today how to stragetize. Think of the main things for each move before you start that move. If Pattern 2, is crappy ( I picked that one guessing it will be) I need to put it behind me and think about Pattern 3.
Funny thing is, I was planning to do that all along.

Falling:
My forward spins have been off lately. No jumps today.

Tessa
11-29-2006, 07:02 PM
I am with the whole GROUP HUG thing.

We all need to stick in there cuz this is a great board to read and participate in. I need all you guys!

Falling: I had no warm up as I was late to my lesson so we started with threes in the field. EEK. I've had a bit of a breakthrough on them but I can't do more than one or two in a row. I have to think of over checking and always looking backwards to my line of travel. Coach and I agreed that testing in February is not going to happen. She now thinks maybe March/April. Yarite!

Flying: My power pulls rocked. They weren't perfect but I made it all the way down the ice both forwards and backwards. After that my coach was going to let me do freestyle but I persevered on pre-juvie moves and did my back perimeter power stroking and 5 step mohawk.

doubletoe
11-29-2006, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=sceptique]Not quite skating, but skating-related comments for today:

Flying:

My husband got a permanent job offer: his first "proper" job since he moved to UK. This is going to have a more tremendous effect on my skating than even the day when I switched from whatever blades I'd been sold with my boots to MK Professional!

It was a 4-year marathon for him, and the last 3 months were particularly tough (3-4 interviews a week on average and no offers). I just wanted to say how proud I am of him (and a little bit of myself for staying by his side all this time!).
[QUOTE]

Oh, Sceptique, that is wonderful news!! I hope the two of you are going celebrate with a bottle of your favorite expensive champagne! :D

Skate@Delaware
11-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Flying: Before his lesson, Hubby and I were warming up and I got him to do alternating crossovers around the rink, then we did some waltz jump stuff, then crossover stuff, then I taught him to spin with the free leg...free and out to the side!!! He had all his safety gear on so he was brave! We were waiting for his turn with his coach, and the ice dance pair showed us how to track doing back crossovers, which was pretty cool, and very nice of them. So we did that for a while.

Hubby and I shared his lesson, and worked on dance/pairs stuff!!!!8O We did progressives, stroking, and swing rolls holding hands, then in kilian position. She said it actually looked good! Then she made us go clockwise....which wasn't as good and needs more work. We still need to work hard on several things, timing, the kilian hold, leg position, posture, etc before we can progress to the Dutch Waltz, but it should come pretty quickly!

Falling: The kids on the ice, not working on stuff or in lessons!!! They decided, towards the end of ice time (which coincided with our lesson time) to play games on the ice, like tag and racing games. I shooed several of them away...I am going to have to complain. This is the 2nd week they have done this. I'm not buying ice time to skate on ice that is treated worse than public ice :x !!! And they talked about pair skaters being dangerous??? The cool thing-we are adults and bigger so we can take out more of the little darlings in one swoop!!!!

Isk8NYC
11-30-2006, 12:57 AM
It is unbelievable how hard it is to get from one town to another on a gridlock alert day. Went to a seasonal rink near my office tonight. It took 45 minutes to go about 15 miles. Arrrgh.

(BTW: TimDavid - I saw that guy who I mistook for you.
He's working on ISI FS1 - hadn't realized that last time I met him. No insult intended, just thought you'd find my mistake humorous.)

Q: What do you do with 40 minutes on bad ice with no crowd control?
A: Whatever you can get away with safely.

Flying:
Practiced the smaller MITF patterns; not too bad, plus:
I CAN DO THE THREES ON THE LINE!!! YAYYY!!!
(As they say on Monty Python, "And, there was much rejoicing.")

Spins were good, probably because it was warm and damp out, softening the usually-brittle ice. Skate@Delaware - you're right: medium ice is best for spins. I was digging little circular trenches in the ice with my edges (not my toepicks.)

Forward camels were iffy, but my back spins were dead on.

Falling:
Couldn't do any of the larger MITF patterns because there were lines of "ice mushrooms" running down the ice lengthwise. Almost killed myself doing the Preliminary spiral pattern, after that I gave up trying full-rink patterns.

Jumps were so-so, mainly because I didn't have time to really warm up.

Need a sharpening. I did the math and figured out that I am on the ice for about 10 hours a week!
It's been at least three months since I had them sharpened.
Have a Klingbeil appointment this week for an adjustment and to be measured for new boots.
Figured I'd get them now and break them in before we relocate next year.

One last note: the "ice mushrooms" made lines of raised drip-bumps from one end to the other. Since they were spaced about 5' apart (a quick look overhead explained why) I used them as "lanes" for power pulls! No way was I going off my axis, or I'd be on my a**.

jazzpants
11-30-2006, 01:35 AM
Oy!!! I think I better start a new thread... there's a lot more complications than I thought... 8OWell, it's now a lot simpler than I thought...

What my secondary coach had in mind is someone who is essentially bigger, faster, strong, fitter to drag me along on the ice and makes sure that I'm pushing myself. What she wants is for me to do all the in-between stuff FASTER and more aggressively. The secondary coach is not as fit as she once was and essentially she's looking for someone who is big and strong and fit enough to drag lit' ol me around... :lol: :twisted:

The ice dancer part is b/c she wants someone who is just as nit-picky about all those things contributing to flow, speed, extension, yadda yadda (what phoenix said... :lol: ) The young man will definitely teach me proper mohawks, turns, progressives (instead of just crossovers), etc... Also, she wanted a guy b/c she wants someone to pull me along in a Killian hold to make sure I keep up with him. (The "hottie" part is just for laughs on my part! :lol: )

There is NO actual ice dancing involved where I'm actually going to learn dance patterns, etc... at least not that much. I think primary coach would be okay with this. As for the money issue, I think I'll go ever other week. The dude is a bit on the expensive side for me to be going every week. And I'm hoping that this guy is temporary, b/c I want to have more money on hand to spend on AN!!! :twisted:

ETA: So why not have my primary coach drag me around the ice??? He might be male, a fast skater and he's got muscles, but ummm... let's put it this way... the guy nearly had a hernia trying to literally pick me up off the ice!!! :lol: :twisted: (I *TOLD* him not to try since I'm heavier than he is. But does he listen??? :P )
So... not Vader... but GROUP HUGS and PRAYERS for me! BOY am I gonna NEED it!!! EEEEEEK!!!! 8O :giveup:

Raye
11-30-2006, 02:22 AM
Jazz - you won't be sorry. I have taken dance as well as freeskate, figures and moves right from the beginning and all the different components worked very well together.

Last winter however... I decided to save some money by not signing up for dance sessions - big mistake - I suddenly was not progressing in skills(MIF Canadian Style) or freeskate.

And I don't mean that I was progressing SLOWER than before I stopped going to dance, I mean thatI HAD STOPPED PROGRESSING AT ALL!!!! Needless to say that for Spring session and ever since I am back to doing dance. I get a lesson every other week from this awesome (translation "HOT") dance coach, and the week in between I work hard so that I can impress him :halo: (well - at least try to impress him anyway)

You will survive dance lessons and you will be a better skater for it

(((((((Special prayers and hugs for you, my friend))))))) Meow :halo:

quarkiki2
11-30-2006, 08:28 AM
Good morning!

Falling: Synchro coach had to miss practice suddenly last night and the weather was looking bad, so only half the team showed up. Yes, we're performing at the Christmas show in two weeks.

Flying: Our costumes will indeed be ready for the show. We weren't sure as we only sent the info into Six-O a couple of weeks ago. I guess procrastinating is sometimes a good thing -- they were past the busy part of the year and somehow cranked out 10 custom dresses in two weeks, yay!

We worked some of the footwork sequences and, because I was counting and "coaching", we turned the music up a little louder -- I've got a BIIIIG voice, especially when compared to our soft-spoken coach.

Because there were only five of us, we got a chance to work on the stuff that we needed to work on -- not enough people to do pass throughs or wheels, so we all picked something we wanted to fix and got a chance to do it. Worked pretty nicely -- and our team has such awesome people on it that we can get along and be helpful to each other and make an otherwise wasted practice valuable.

Rusty Blades
11-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Flying? Falling? Well, how about "hovering"?

Haven't skated at all this week but slowly starting to feel better from my cold. Also things in the works for a more suitable (for me) skating environment, which has helped to start clearing the funk - details on the News At Six - LOL!

Isk8NYC
11-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Flying? Falling? Well, how about "hovering"?

Haven't skated at all this week but slowly starting to feel better from my cold. Also things in the works for a more suitable (for me) skating environment, which has helped to start clearing the funk - details on the News At Six - LOL!
How's the home ice coming along? (You should give that rink a name, just for fun!) That should help you make up for lost practice time. Feel better.

Rusty Blades
11-30-2006, 11:02 AM
How's the home ice coming along? (You should give that rink a name, just for fun!)

I was thinking of that.

There was an elderly couple who lived across the road from me when I bought the property 10 years ago. They used to maintain a 3/4 size NHL rink for the local kids. The rink was destroyed by "road improvements" about 6 years ago and both of these lovely people have since passed. I was very temped to put up a sign that said "The Alex & Millie XXXX Memorial Patch" but it would bring tears to everybody's eyes every time they saw the sign.

The patch is coming nicely. I am about 2 more floods away from having skateable ice if the weather stays cold (and the forecast is for continued COLD).

Skate@Delaware
11-30-2006, 02:06 PM
I didn't skate today, as I normally would on a Thursday...was feeling woozy from the stupid migraine I've had since Monday (I haven't eaten much since Monday).

So, stayed home and did some light chores, got my stuff together for my skate spray, and ate whatever I felt like (which really wasn't much :frus:).

and I didn't miss skating, either.:cry: What's wrong with me? Must be the pre-Christmas funk.

vesperholly
11-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Whee - I changed my Axel take offs again and landed FOUR! Two in a row were perfect, and two had touch downs with my free foot after I checked out. I glide slowly backwards on two feet on the blue line, then step forward. Slowing down the entrance really seems to help stop me from rushing the take off. Interestingly enough, the takeoff edges were not skids - I usually skid when I enter from crossovers.

The ice was just perfect today, super smooth and softer than Tuesday. The zamboni crew must've ground down the hockey ridges again. I had really great spins. Unfortunately my video camera hates me and continues to stay broken. :frus:

doubletoe
11-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Vesperholly, that's wonderful! Isn't it funny how reducing speed for the axel takeoff can help so much, even though it's so hard to do lutzes or flips without speed?

I think maybe it's because the axel takeoff edge has to be just right, and speed just magnifies small errors on the takeoff edge (curve, lean, etc.) and turns them into big errors.

das_mondlicht
11-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Flying: first time, I did a complete APBM run through in skating dress. I feel a little bit strange for the short freestyle skirt. But it turns out not too bad at all!

Falling: no progress on the Dutch Waltz. I am still trying to catch up with music...Coach also wants me to push every single edge to get my miniature pattern to fully utilize whole sheet of ice. Will try harder!

Luna

Bill_S
11-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Flying: Because we had no local ice today, I drove (some would call that flying) to the OSU rink's adult session from 11:15-12:15, and then flew downtown to the Dispatch Ice Haus for another public session starting at 12:30. Both sessions were very lightly attended, and I worked on mostly moves and speed. After nearly 3 hours of skating, I could tell my upper thighs were worked enough. Met two other adult skaters I know from the area and we chatted afterwards. Then I had to drive the 1-1/2 hours back home for a late "lunch" at 4 pm.

Falling: Oh, how I wish the price of new boots were falling, but I'm afraid it's going to be my account balance falling instead.

BatikatII
11-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Flying: two good lessons this week One with new dance coach. I never thought I'd enjoy dance lessons with a lady coach but this one is so good that I don't mind. She is slowly fixing my crossovers to turn them into the much nicer looking progressives and has given me so many tips already on the patterns and body positioning for the dances. Did waste part of lesson chatting though so need to put a lid on that!

Fun lesson with Free coach too even though it was mainly on moves. He showed me some amazingly complicated steps which he tried to get me to repeat the length of the rink. They looked so fantastic when he demonstrated - I so want to be able to skate like that!!! Then we worked on my nemesis the interbronze field move number 4 (back outside 3's and mohawks on a circle). We got so carried away with working on these that he gave me about 8 minutes extra time - or perhaps it was to make up for all the time he has spent showing me piccies of his new extension! I felt like I had made a breakthrough on these back outside 3's by the end of the session. Must go write down all the tips. If I can make progress it might still be possible to test these before they change the system and that would save me ever having to be able to do change of edge spirals8O

falling: Flip is still AWOL - it almost showed up but not quite.

jazzpants
11-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Falling:

Oh, dear.... Primary coach was MEAN today!!! I told him about what secondary coach had in mind for this ice dancing coach guy and he's NOT happy... I mentioned part of the thing she wanted Ice Dance Coach to do is to go into a Killian hold and make me skate fast with him. Of course, primary coach has PAIRS and ice dance background, says "And she doesn't think I can do that!!! Oh, *I* can do THAT!!! C'mon..." And before I even protest, he and I are already at full throttle speed and he wants me to then mohawk (still at speed) and do a bunch of back crossovers and then set up for a waltz jump and then a salchow and then a toe loop. In between instructions, I overheard primary coach telling a couple of skaters "No more Mister Nice Guy!!! *I'm* gonna make her SKATE FASTER!!!" :twisted:

Needless to say, the midday "after coffee club" public session regulars were all going like 8O the entire time I had this lesson!

Flying:
After I got off the ice, people were like :bow: to me and commented that I skated really strong and confident out there!!! OMG!!! 8O :?? (And all I was thinking thru out that whole lesson is "Please keep me in one piece in time for Christmas. I want to skate Christmas time. I don't want to be in a body cast coming to my in-laws home... 8O )

Okay, FO spirals are coming along better. We're now trying to get me to do a REAL spiral and not a semi-spiral like I normally do... All I was thinking about was 1) you want me to lower myself THAT LOW!?!?! and 2) OMG!!! I'm gonna hit my head!!! 8O :giveup:

Primary coach reminds me in his backhanded compliment tone that "at least now I don't wear those God awful knee pads and am taking *some* risks..." :roll:

doubletoe
11-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Whoa~h! Hold on, Jazzpants, it's going to be a wild ride! :lol:

What do you mean by a "semi-spiral" by the way? Do you mean that your free leg isn't quite high enough or that your legs aren't completely straight?

jazzpants
11-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Whoa~h! Hold on, Jazzpants, it's going to be a wild ride! :lol: If you think I was fast at Sectionals, that was NOTHING compared to what Jay wanted me to do today!!! 8O 8O 8O

What do you mean by a "semi-spiral" by the way? Do you mean that your free leg isn't quite high enough or that your legs aren't completely straight?Free legs is not high enough and torso is not low enough. I have to learn to lower that torso a LOT more than I'm comfortable with. Jay had me low enough where I can actually see every little ruts, gauges, ice crystals and hockey spit (Alright! I was joking about the "hockey spit" part...) on the ice going past by me as I'm in my spiral position... OMG!!! 8O

This is probably a good time for me to start getting out the video cam again... sorta doing a "before" and "after" thing... :P

But yes, I also have the problem where my legs aren't completely straight. And in secondary coach's case, she also wants the free foot turned out to the point where I would feel a strong pull all along from the calves to the inner thigh and hold this position while I'm ON ICE!!! Needless to say, if I do this a lot, I won't have ANY feelings to my free leg!!! 8O

DallasSkater
11-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Jazz: You crack me up!

Flying: Today was a great day only because we had snow/sleet and freezing rain (remember I am in Texas so this is special!) I went to work since I have a 4 wheel drive and live close to my office but anticipated most would cancel for the day. Sure enough! The rescheduling calls came! I had the afternoon free for skating and called my coach for an additional lesson to concentrate pre bronze MIF. We had the ice with only 2 other skaters!

In tomorrow's lesson we will play my music selection to actually hear it in the rink. I selected from March of the Penguins but have 4 alternatives if it proves too fast, too slow, too bizarre a selection, too difficult to choreograph or anything else that can go wrong! My coach says I worry too much....lol ...I say I prepare well for anxiety states!

Falling: When I looked at the requirements and patterns of MIF prebronze I did not think it looked too hard. I can already do everything it requires. However, actually doing it today proved my naive assessment of it. I was surprised to learn that I do not control my 3 turns as well as I thought. Having to put them in a pattern, even a simple one, changed everything for me. I do appreciate that practice will help but geez!

Other falling thing was the silly bridge program practice for the Xmas recital. I am just baffled by the chaotic approach to preparing for this! Since they knew this was coming up at the end of LTS semester you would have thought they (coaches) would have coordinated and prepared. No such luck. Instead it is a mess! All the kids kind of skate when and how they want to with limited regard for the pattern the coaches are in some disagreement about. There are two sisters in this class who are significantly advanced from the rest of us. These girls announced that they will not be performing with us as this one is ...and I quote..."too stupid!" giggle. They are preparing for a local Christmas show at another rink and know there is a huge difference.

Only two more classes to make this thing happen! I have to continuously remind myself that it is a marketing thing for the rink, that the "audience" will be the skaters parents, that it will be over in one song..(on three different nights!) and that it is good experience for me. Otherwise, I am sure my controlling side would pop out! Since I am 44 and unable to do a full spilt on the ice, I am expected to skate to the middle of a circle of my tiny classmates who will be in full splits down on the ice and I am to do a one foot spin in the center and then raise my arms up in perfect timing to the music end.. Think I will just blend in? ...giggle. Working on emotionally detaching from my distress about this! It is hard to concentrate on this detachment as I am not done on detaching from the expectation that I can do a lunge followed by my dreaded toe loop! Dual detachments always get me. Somebody shoot me now!

mikawendy
11-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Jazz - you won't be sorry. I have taken dance as well as freeskate, figures and moves right from the beginning and all the different components worked very well together.

Last winter however... I decided to save some money by not signing up for dance sessions - big mistake - I suddenly was not progressing in skills(MIF Canadian Style) or freeskate.

And I don't mean that I was progressing SLOWER than before I stopped going to dance, I mean thatI HAD STOPPED PROGRESSING AT ALL!!!! Needless to say that for Spring session and ever since I am back to doing dance. I get a lesson every other week from this awesome (translation "HOT") dance coach, and the week in between I work hard so that I can impress him :halo: (well - at least try to impress him anyway)

You will survive dance lessons and you will be a better skater for it

(((((((Special prayers and hugs for you, my friend))))))) Meow :halo:

....what she said! I don't do dance, but I can attest to the fact that Raye has killer footwork, most likely thanks in part to her doing dance. Her footwork sequences have turns in both directions and a nice bit of speed and ice coverage to them.

jazzpants
12-01-2006, 12:16 AM
....what she said! I don't do dance, but I can attest to the fact that Raye has killer footwork, most likely thanks in part to her doing dance. Her footwork sequences have turns in both directions and a nice bit of speed and ice coverage to them.I believe 'ya... I've seen Raye skate at Skate SF a couple of years back and even then I was amazed at how smooth her footwork was... and wishing how much I would LOVE to have the smoothness and cleaniness (for lack of a better word) of her footwork. :bow: :bow: :bow:

(Jazzpants meow hello back at Raye... Much appreciated for the hugs and prayers!!!) http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/figuren/e020.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/tiere/a020.gif

Well, folks. Primary and secondary coach are directly at odds over my direction in skating, so I told them "You two hash it out! I'm just the messenger and skater! YOU guys go and talk to each other and hash it out! I expect that at the end you two have a UNITED FRONT on the direction of my training and HOW you guys are gonna approach it!!!"

So we'll see in the end if I'm gonna get dragged around by Jay or by the new "hottie" ice dancer coach... ;)

Sk8pdx
12-01-2006, 01:31 AM
...And before I even protest, he and I are already at full throttle speed and he wants me to then mohawk (still at speed) and do a bunch of back crossovers and then set up for a waltz jump and then a salchow and then a toe loop. In between instructions, I overheard primary coach telling a couple of skaters "No more Mister Nice Guy!!! *I'm* gonna make her SKATE FASTER!!!"

... I cannot help but think of skating with Casey here. On one occasion, my coach referred to such speed as "wild abandon." he he he :lol:

we had snow/sleet and freezing rain (remember I am in Texas so this is special!) I went to work since I have a 4 wheel drive and live close to my office but anticipated most would cancel for the day.

Wow!8O That is nearly close to he** freezing over! :lol: (I say "close" since SpaMama hasn't been on the ice yet.) :P

Flying:
took a break from skating today, Coach is out of town. I still went to Kickboxing and Yoga. Can't wait for my off-ice class on Saturday. Will be practicing a lot this week for our holiday program next week. My goal is to work on being as entertaining as much as I can. I think there is a lot to be said for using this opportunity for working on performing, even though the skating itself isn't very technical. It really is all about the glitter. :)

jazzpants
12-01-2006, 02:05 AM
... I cannot help but think of skating with Casey here. On one occasion, my coach referred to such speed as "wild abandon." he he he :lol: Well, there's "wild abandon" and then there's setting goals for the amount of speed that you want to build up to for the moment. I'm shooting for the latter, since I have a particular piece of music in mind that I'm hoping to skate fast for. (Don't worry! For those who have heard the piece that I'm doing, it's....ummmm, quite peppy!!! :lol: )

Wow!8O That is nearly close to he** freezing over! :lol: (I say "close" since SpaMama hasn't been on the ice yet.) :P It's very close to freezing in our neck of the woods. At times the ice rink is WARMER than the outside. (Though DH disagreed with me on that point on that particular day.) :P :lol:

Flying:
took a break from skating today, Coach is out of town. I still went to Kickboxing and Yoga. Can't wait for my off-ice class on Saturday. Will be practicing a lot this week for our holiday program next week. My goal is to work on being as entertaining as much as I can. I think there is a lot to be said for using this opportunity for working on performing, even though the skating itself isn't very technical. It really is all about the glitter. :)I know what you mean... and when I do work on a program, my goal is to entertain the skaters first. The coaches are there to worry about the rules and what the judges want according to the event I'm competing at. :P

Raye
12-01-2006, 04:23 AM
....what she said! I don't do dance, but I can attest to the fact that Raye has killer footwork, most likely thanks in part to her doing dance. Her footwork sequences have turns in both directions and a nice bit of speed and ice coverage to them.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Shucks
Thanks for the kind words Mika - I am speechless
:oops: :oops: :oops::oops: :oops:

Raye
12-01-2006, 04:26 AM
So we'll see in the end if I'm gonna get dragged around by Jay or by the new "hottie" ice dancer coach... ;)

TAKE THE HOTTIE !

SpaMama
12-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Wow!8O That is nearly close to he** freezing over! :lol: (I say "close" since SpaMama hasn't been on the ice yet.) :P

Allright, allright, thats enough from the peanut gallery!:lol:

Spamama

Mrs Redboots
12-01-2006, 09:11 AM
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Shucks
Thanks for the kind words Mika - I am speechless
:oops: :oops: :oops::oops: :oops:
That's a first..... but you deserve all that Mika said, it's absolutely true. And, folks, for those who haven't seen her - the woman's a great ice dancer, too!

Jazzpants, I read your description of your lesson and I was :lol: :lol: :lol: I can so see your primary coach doing that to you...... :lol:

S@D, so sorry to hear about your migraine, I do hope it passes soon. I have a nasty feeling one feels worse afterwards than during, almost - so washed out as to be unable to do anything.

As for me, today was very nearly all flying:

Did waltz 3s round each other and I didn't scrape on the step to forward. Well, not every time, anyway.
Did a pattern of the Willow Waltz and I actually held the entrance edge of the Mohawk for the required 3 beats.
We managed a 2-revolution spin in Kilian hold.
Suddenly "got" the right place on the blade to use when skating backwards. About time too, do I hear you all shout? I couldn't agree more! All the same, it was most pleasurable. Can only do it on plain vanilla edges, and possibly crossovers, so far, but it will come on chassés and, hopefully, inform my dance moves.Falling:

Still find it hard to get a good push on to a RBO edge when skating backwards in Kilian hold with Husband. And the LB edge is totally flat.
Dance moves still pretty awful, but coming along.
Husband's landing leg was sore today.
Rink clock had been altered and is now correct - which we didn't know, so Husband got off the ice four minutes too early, and we could have had a whole nother runthrough of the Willow Waltz! Drats.

DallasSkater
12-01-2006, 10:24 AM
sk8pdx: Too funny! I think spamama is seriously considering the beginner adult class for this next semester! (Sometimes just announcing someone's intent works!) WTG on kickboxing and yoga! What a great attitude about it not being technical but about the glitter! Will have to remember that.

Flying: Just got my new undies crash pads! Will try it out today. (Can you say undies on here?..if a word is missing in this post..it was undies!)

Falling: My new undies add a look of about 30 additional pounds! eeek! But my fluffy butt will be safe!

Team Arthritis
12-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Falling: My new undies add a look of about 30 additional pounds! eeek! But my fluffy butt will be safe!

:lol: One of the things I enjoy about skater is that we don't even pretend not to be vain:lol:
Lyle

Skate@Delaware
12-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Well, Dallas, you now officially have the "Ice Princess" look going for you now.....run with it!!!

Mrs. Redboots, I do feel more run-down after a migraine; this was the worst I've had in a long time...couldn't eat, barely drink which made it bad. My appetite is back so I should be picking up steam soon. Thanks for caring!!

I need to ask coach about those partnering moves-the waltz 3's sound sooooo interesting! After our try at stuff in killian position, and the positive comments from our resident ice dancers, we are ready for more practice and other moves! (already got hubby to do the partnered waltz jumps...:twisted: could a pair spin be far behind? :halo: )

jazzpants
12-01-2006, 12:06 PM
TAKE THE HOTTIE ! http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d030.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d015.gif

(I can understand the powers of having a hottie coach, trust me on it. ;) )

Allright, allright, thats enough from the peanut gallery!:lol: C'mon, SpaMama!!! You know you want to do it!!! ;) And I know I want to watch h*** frozen over!!! LOL!!! :lol: :P

Sk8pdx: Ditto on the WTG on kickboxing and yoga!!! I wish I had more time to do that than just my once a week reformer classes. I just have too much to do right now as is...

DallasSkater: If I end up with the Hottie coach, I have permission to wear the crash pads. Of course, it means I'm probably have a bottom bigger than J.Lo... :roll: (So much for looking nice for the hottie coach, but hey, if most of this guy's students wear crash pads, ummm... there's a reason! :twisted: :lol: :P )

S@D: Pairs spin! Pairs spin!!! Pairs spin!!! :P :lol:

phoenix
12-01-2006, 12:11 PM
FALLING!!!! Snow, that is. It's just starting to slow down & the current measurement for my city is 14.5". Needless to say, I didn't have my lesson this morning. :cry:

Skate@Delaware
12-01-2006, 12:52 PM
DallasSkater: If I end up with the Hottie coach, I have permission to wear the crash pads. Of course, it means I'm probably have a bottom bigger than J.Lo... :roll: (So much for looking nice for the hottie coach, but hey, if most of this guy's students wear crash pads, ummm... there's a reason! :twisted: :lol: :P )
are you sure he doesn't read these boards???
S@D: Pairs spin! Pairs spin!!! Pairs spin!!! :P :lol:
A pairs spin would be sooooo cool (and could a death spiral be far behind????)

icedancer2
12-01-2006, 01:59 PM
I agree -- take the hottie (been there, done that -- fun!):twisted: .

Isk8NYC
12-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Falling: Oh, how I wish the price of new boots were falling, but I'm afraid it's going to be my account balance falling instead.I feel your pain. I went to Klingbeil this morning and got measured for new boots. Don's remark upon seeing my current boots: "These are beat!" LOL He "goosed" my current boots a bit, adding padding to the insoles for the heel spurs and lambswool to the tongues to stop the lace bite I'm getting. (I guess he actually "lambed" my boots, huh?)

On the way out west, I took a nice side trip to Aviator Sports in Brooklyn to give the adjustment a try and scope out the place. First time there - what a nice, clean place. The bathrooms smell like new vinyl, not who-knows-what. Public session ($8) had four woman on it (including me) all doing MITF and freestyle. Hallelujah!

Surprise, surprise, I met a fellow Board member: HelenC. Lovely skater - you have to see her "spotting backspin." (There's lots of technical ballet names for what she does that I don't know, but it is gorgeous to look at!) Don't know if the other skaters were Board members, it didn't come up, but they are both strong skaters as well.

Anyway, back on topic:

Flying:
I was at Aviator, I had to fly. The music was nice and quiet, then the attendant switched over to "Everybody Dance Now," which is a rocking tune, so I jumped right into it, skating to the music.

MITF - just fine and my feet don't hurt.
Spins - very good, especially the back spins.
Jumps - so-so, but I landed a flip today, very badly.

Falling:
Felt like "slow ice" so I really had to work for speed. (It might have been the result of not eating all day.)
MITF - I've gotten the forward outside spiral sequence down, just have to work on the inside spiral side.
Spins - The camels were sleeping, though most of my spins were good.
Jumps - I scraped every three turn! I'm due for a sharpening.

jazzpants
12-01-2006, 02:16 PM
are you sure he doesn't read these boards???Well, he's not my coach YET!!! LOL!!! :lol: And I'm pretty sure from what I know about him that he will take the "Hottie coach" comment in good humor (and a bit of flattery too.) ;)

(I really can't officially say that he's a "hottie" anyway since I've never met the guy. I'm really going by second hand knowledge of the person and both sources says that he's a hottie. I'm just a messenger of the reference to him, that's all! :lol: )

Crash pads usually don't go past my secondary coach for very long and she is allowing me to wear them with this particular coach. I figured that he knows his students are wearing them and he's okay with his students wearing them, since, you know... better safe than sorry.

A pairs spin would be sooooo cool (and could a death spiral be far behind????)Hey! Go for it!!! LOL!!! :lol:

Morgail
12-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Flying:
I had the ice to myself for almost an hour for a whole $6! I guess the insane gusts of wind and weird pellet-y snow scared everyone else off. And, 40 minutes after I started skating, they decided to zam the ice. Just for me:) I felt like the Queen of the Ice Rink.:halo:
I did my Back X-Overs to BO Edges pattern without fear of decapitating anyone. I did spirals across the entire rink. I had far too much today.

Falling:
Nothing. Nothing can be bad when I get the entire ice to myself:)

Debbie S
12-01-2006, 02:42 PM
I did my Back X-Overs to BI Edges pattern without fear of decapitating anyone. Um, it's actually back crossovers to back outside edges (you are talking about the Bronze MITF, correct?). I figured it was probably a typo, but just wanted to make sure you knew that. :)

Flying: Had first lesson in 3 weeks (due to T-giving last week and coach not feeling well the week before) and showed my coach my flip. Since she hasn't seen it in a while, I wasn't sure if it had improved to the point where it is actually recognizable. Well, my coach confirmed that it is indeed a flip. Yippee! But I still have to speed up the takeoff (I'm too slow between the picking back and actually jumping) and be able to do the jump itself at speed in order to be able to put it in the program. Next item on the agenda: lutz exercises. I hadn't been practicing them much b/c of spending so much time trying to improve the loop (which my coach said is much better) and flip, so they are my homework for the next week.

Coach was also pleased with the progress on the 3-turns in the field, but my BI 3's still have a long way to go.

Falling: Due to traffic, I arrived at the rink about 5 minutes before the first FS session last night. I saw the parking lot filled with cars and a line of cars parked on the street outside the lot (reminded me of the Chessie Open). Apparently, there was some big high school hockey game that aftn and the parents and players were slow to leave. I noticed some parents about to get into cars next to each other so I sat and waited with my turn signal on, and they proceeded to stand outside their cars and have a conversation - sure, don't rush or anything, I'm not in any hurry. :twisted:

jazzpants
12-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Um, it's actually back crossovers to back outside edges (you are talking about the Bronze MITF, correct?). I figured it was probably a typo, but just wanted to make sure you knew that. :) She could also be talking about the second move too - the back perimeter crossovers! LOL!!!

Congrats on the FLIP!!! WOO HOO!!! :bow: I better get a "move on" on those flips too!!! I haven't touch them much. :oops:

Mrs Redboots
12-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Surprise, surprise, I met a fellow Board member: HelenC. Lovely skater - you have to see her "spotting backspin." (There's lots of technical ballet names for what she does that I don't know, but it is gorgeous to look at!) Don't know if the other skaters were Board members, it didn't come up, but they are both strong skaters as well.A very lovely skater! Helen, it's time you came back to this side of the Atlantic again, to the European competitions.

doubletoe
12-01-2006, 07:18 PM
TAKE THE HOTTIE !

Yep, I'm casting my vote for the Hottie, too! :mrgreen:

Oh, and you *should* be scared if you can see every rut in the ice during your spiral. . . Your chin and eyes are supposed to be UP! :lol:
But seriously, working on spirals is great because not only will it give you nice spirals, it will also give you the right position for your camel spin, too.
BTW, the thing everyone is afraid of on spirals--catching the toepick and falling on your face--won't happen as long as you lift your toes up in the boot of your skating shoe. I don't even remember who gave me that tip, but it has kept me from falling on a spiral for at least 7 years now, I think! :)

WeirFan06
12-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Well, he's not my coach YET!!! LOL!!! :lol: And I'm pretty sure from what I know about him that he will take the "Hottie coach" comment in good humor (and a bit of flattery too.) ;)

(I really can't officially say that he's a "hottie" anyway since I've never met the guy. I'm really going by second hand knowledge of the person and both sources says that he's a hottie. I'm just a messenger of the reference to him, that's all! :lol: )

Crash pads usually don't go past my secondary coach for very long and she is allowing me to wear them with this particular coach. I figured that he knows his students are wearing them and he's okay with his students wearing them, since, you know... better safe than sorry.

Hey! Go for it!!! LOL!!! :lol:

Jazzpants,

Yes, he is an attractive young man... and I'm sure he knows it too! :P The fun personnality helps with that as well. Many of his students do use crash pads... granted they're being launched into the air by him, but I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem with you using them for moves/dance. He might laugh a little, but other than that it will be fine. His opinions about things aren't quite as... umm... opinion-ish as are the opinions of your primary and secondary coaches, if ya know what I mean! Speaking of primary and secondary... have either of them gotten back to you about the dance issue???

jazzpants
12-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Yes, he is an attractive young man... and I'm sure he knows it too! :P The fun personnality helps with that as well. Many of his students do use crash pads... granted they're being launched into the air by him, but I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem with you using them for moves/dance. He might laugh a little, but other than that it will be fine. His opinions about things aren't quite as... umm... opinion-ish as are the opinions of your primary and secondary coaches, if ya know what I mean! Speaking of primary and secondary... have either of them gotten back to you about the dance issue???He launches crash pads in the air?!?!!? Does he have an air gun??? LOL!!!

Oy, do I KNOW exactly what you mean about both of my coaches being opinionated. That's why I told them to go duke it out amongst themselves. :roll: (LEAVE ME OUT OF THIS!!! I just SKATE HERE!!! :lol: ) And no, I have not heard from either of them about whether or not I'll be ice dancing with Hottie ice dance coach! I HOPE I'll get a resolution tomorrow morning when I get my hair done with primary coach!!! :twisted:

Sk8pdx
12-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Allright, allright, thats enough from the peanut gallery!:lol: Spamama

Don't speak too soon, you'll be joining us in the pre-bronze gallery soon enough according to news from DallasSkater.:P :lol: 8-) :
I think spamama is seriously considering the beginner adult class for this next semester! (Sometimes just announcing someone's intent works!)

*whistles a cat call to DallasSkater* Nice pants! ;) :)

DallasSkater & Jazzpants: Kickboxing helps with interval training so I am not winded after doing my programs when skating. PLUS even though you are using your arms and legs a lot, it is the best abs workout ever! (... and when it's over, I can't help but feel a little "Ferg-a-licious"):halo:

Falling:
Since last weekend there was a holiday, they changed the club session to a High session (we have high and low level sessions alternating weeks). so I didn't skate today. (there is always a later public session filled with hormonal adolescents...:giveup: )

Flying:
Decided to take a round of jump and spin classes to see if that will help me progress a little more with loop, flip, back spin and sit spins. Classes start tomorrow so I am very excited! I am determined to get out of this rut!

DallasSkater
12-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Sk8pdx: LOL on ferg-a-licious...step class never makes me feel that way..so maybe I am taking the wrong class! Very cool that you have options for jump and spin classes! Wish my rink offered that!

Flying: Lesson went well. She liked my March of the Penguin music! We are going to try to use it! Was able to show her I had already had a bit of progress on the waltz eight. It helped to watch Renata's video! My circle is still not perfect but hey you should have seen the not even a circle I was doing with it yesterday! Had "report cards" in LTS tonight. I passed and can now take the intermediate freestyle class! Woohooo! She was very pleased with my salchow . Was able to do them from back cross overs as usually that messes it up.

She was there Wednesday to witness my messed up toe loops after the lunge so I did that for her today with no difficulty...egads..maybe I just can't do toe loops on Wednesdays? I never skate well on Wednesdays....hmmmm.

Power stroking class was awesome since we had a sub that concentrated on improving our stroking. He really concentrated basic crossovers in all directions and I learned a bunch as he just put things differently to really focus the quality of the cross overs.

Falling: I did not get a chance to find out if the crash pad undies were as impact friendly as my other pads. That should probably go under flying since it means I never fell today! They were really uncomfortable off ice as I was there most of the day. At least with the migrating pads, I can pull them out when not needed. They were fine on ice except I was extremely body aware since it adds so much bulk. Yes, Lyle...I have to admit that as much as I profess that I don't care, my awareness today suggested otherwise! giggle.

I think I pulled a muscle. Hope it is better tomorrow!

Rusty Blades
12-02-2006, 05:52 AM
On The Takeoff Run! It is going to be an interesting day! After being REALLY knocked out by a bad cold for the past week and being in a deep funk about my skating I am off shortly to spend an hour on the ice with a perspective new coach, then over to my home club for 2-1/2 hours and maybe break the news to my present coach. I haven't skated in a week and am still feeling weak but we'll see how much of the 3-1/2 hours I can do. Add to that the emotional "stress" and it is going to be a tough day!

No matter how the day turns out, I need to come away from it with a renewed vigor and optimism for my skating and cast off the funk. I hope, by the end of the day, to be flying again!

Terri C
12-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Flying:
Am now over the funk I was in regarding my test next Friday. Moves feel a lot better. Of course they are going to when you have clean ice and few people.
Did some freestyle the last half hour and realized what moves do when I did back crossovers for a waltz jump- I was flying indeed! Spins also made a appearance on the session as well.

Falling:
I really really wish there was a way to keep the little beginners off of freestyle sessions. Our rink offers plenty of practice time for the LTS skaters on Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings and yet, beginner skaters doing swizzles are on the freestyle with skaters doing doubles.

phoenix
12-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Flying: Practice today was good, continuing on the upward trend from Thursday when I found my knees back! I actually put Killian music on & did several rounds of 2 patterns. As I got more tired the edges started to flatten out, but I stayed w/ the music & best of all, felt connected to the ice and unafraid!

Falling: This seems to be a strange dance for me--when I'm skating well in general, I really enjoy it. When I'm not skating well, it terrifies me. I'm not sure if it was a mental block or physical, feels like a combination. This sport is hard!!

jenlyon60
12-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Join the crowd. It's epidemic at one of the rinks I skate at. Everything from LTS privates to senior ladies on the same ice at the same time.

Falling:
I really really wish there was a way to keep the little beginners off of freestyle sessions. Our rink offers plenty of practice time for the LTS skaters on Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings and yet, beginner skaters doing swizzles are on the freestyle with skaters doing doubles.

Rusty Blades
12-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Trundling down the runway After a week off the ice and very run down from a cold I started off with a half hour warmup - not as bad as I feared - most everything was working so-so except the backwards and the knees got sore in a hurry.

We have liftoff! After warmup, I met with my prospective new coach, a nice young woman who has skated at Adult Nationals and understands my desire to be part of it. I ran through my repertoire (except backwards) and her comment was that there was “plenty to work with” and “we can have fun with this” - ALRIGHT! “Fun” - that’s what had faded away in my skating. After some time together, we decided to add two morning sessions to my skating and work together there.

Minor turbulence After the 9 a.m. session it was off to my home club for 11:15 and to break the news to my original coach. I suppose it ended about as well as it could with two strong-minded women, each with a different slant on things. We both knew we just didn’t “mesh” on the ice and she said she was glad I took the initiative - bless you coach! You are a special lady.

Up, up and away! I managed 2 additional hours and worked on a bit of everything. Most everything was coming back pretty well (except right backward edges). For being at the tail end of a debilitating cold and a week off the ice, I am happy. I left the ice absolutely POOPED but feeling much better about everything.

The next question will be: can I take my skating from 7.5 hours a week to 11.5 hours or is it time to drop some sessions?? We'll see.

jazzpants
12-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Falling:
Into bed... I'm coming down with something and am not feeling well. All I want to do when I got home is just to crash and sleep. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/muede/p015.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/muede/d035.gif No skating today! :cry:

Flying:
My hair... with a blow dryer. Primary coach did my hair and DH's hair this morning and it looks NICE!!! :D

Isk8NYC
12-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Minor turbulence After the 9 a.m. session it was off to my home club for 11:15 and to break the news to my original coach. I suppose it ended about as well as it could with two strong-minded women, each with a different slant on things. We both knew we just didn’t “mesh” on the ice and she said she was glad I took the initiative - bless you coach! You are a special lady.I'm so glad you broke the news to the coach. I was at a session today where once again, a skater changed to or added a new coach without telling the old one in advance. Obviously, since the skater's a child, it was the parent's reponsibility to "break the news." They didn't and, to his credit, the old coach didn't make a scene.

It could be his fault as well - maybe he missed the call/msg, maybe he didn't return the message, but he was shocked, embarrassed, and angry. It's just not necessary.

kateskate
12-02-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm so glad you broke the news to the coach. I was at a session today where once again, a skater changed to or added a new coach without telling the old one in advance. Obviously, since the skater's a child, it was the parent's reponsibility to "break the news." They didn't and, to his credit, the old coach didn't make a scene.

It could be his fault as well - maybe he missed the call/msg, maybe he didn't return the message, but he was shocked, embarrassed, and angry. It's just not necessary.

Slightly off topic but related to this

Just wondering what is the etiquette if you stop lessons with one coach. Then months later you start lessons with another coach. Happened to me and I did tell the old coach out of courtesy but the reaction wasn't great. Granted I did tell him minutes before my first lesson with new coach but there wasn't time before. Old coach was obviously aware that I had stopped lessons with him and we had discussed that. Just wondering what someone elses take on that situation would be.......

Rusty Blades
12-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Just wondering what is the etiquette if you stop lessons with one coach.

My original coach was and is my friend. Although we both knew things weren't working out, I told her earlier that I was going to look and I made sure she was the first one I told after making a decision. Simply respect for a friend and fellow human being. You simply can't work with someone on the ice for any length of time without each of you having an "investment" in the other and even after moving on, you are still connected by what you have shared.

Rusty Blades
12-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Falling:
Into bed... I'm coming down with something and am not feeling well.

Awe Jazz - ***HUG*** - hope you are feeling better soon!

(It's not my cold, HONEST!)

Morgail
12-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Um, it's actually back crossovers to back outside edges (you are talking about the Bronze MITF, correct?). I figured it was probably a typo, but just wanted to make sure you knew that. :)

Hehe...yes, definitely a typo! :lol: Although it could be interesting to try that pattern with back inside edges instead...8O

Debbie S
12-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Just wondering what is the etiquette if you stop lessons with one coach. Then months later you start lessons with another coach. If you stop lessons with a coach, then that's it. You can start lessons with another coach anytime you want. Of course, you will want to make sure you've paid your former coach for all of your lessons up to that point. But you don't really need to tell the coach you're taking lessons with someone else, b/c by definition, you've "split", so your old coach has been informed of everything they need to know.

A situation where you need to specifically tell the coach about your coaching change is if you're switching coaches immediately, w/o a break. For example, if you have a lesson one week and decide to switch coaches by the following week, you need to let your coach know that you are no longer taking lessons from him/her and will be working with so-and-so from now on. As Isk8NYC pointed out, it's a matter of respect for the old coach so they know what's going on when they see you taking lessons from someone else after just having taught you days earlier.

I hope you feel better soon, Jazz!

NoVa Sk8r
12-02-2006, 09:54 PM
For example, if you have a lesson one week and decide to switch coaches by the following week, you need to let your coach know that you are no longer taking lessons from him/her and will be working with so-and-so from now on. As Isk8NYC pointed out, it's a matter of respect for the old coach so they know what's going on when they see you taking lessons from someone else after just having taught you days earlier.It's more than just respect; such actions are governed by PSA ethics rules. The new coach would need to contact the former coach to let him/her know about the coach change. (I know of certain instances where the new coach did NOT alert the old coach, and well, it got unpleasant.)

Sk8pdx
12-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Flying:
Started my Jump and Spin class today. The coach for the class is my very first coach way back when I was hanging on to the boards. When I was warming up waltz jumps she commented that when she last saw me, I was just learning waltz jump and that she liked watching me skate. :) and here is the best part! We worked on backspin today. and I finally had a revelation. she asked me why I was going forward? I looked at her a little confused :?? and she helped me to understand that it is a "backward" spin. as if there were a pole behind my right shoulder and that the momentum should be towards the pole behind me. and all-of-a-sudden it was like an A-ha! moment. I have realized that in my attempts to backspin, it felt as if it were more like "centered fwd consecutive inside 3 turns" but it isn't! (I say inside because I haven't been able to get off my inside edge :frus: which was symptomatic of me not getting all my weight transferred over to the outside edge) group coach also pointed out that that not a wonder I was having so much difficulty with loop jump. I finally felt inside how the "backwardness" feels instead. and I am so excited about it! I finally understand sensing the "back" in backspin. yippee!

Also practiced my program today for the holiday show. I am very happy with it!. All I need to do is work out a few arm movements (and I am throwing silk rose petals -tied to fishing wire- at the end) and I should be set to go for next Friday's performance. my favorite part is my attitude spin. Everything just feels right. The tension in my back, hips forward and free leg position. It is my favorite spin so far -- until I can catch camel spin...

Falling:
...can't think of anything...

jazzpants
12-02-2006, 10:20 PM
How about if your secondary coach recommends a third coach to work on something specific on a temporarily basis but your primary coach doesn't want you to? How do you handle that then?

(Just had dinner and now relaxing with a mud mask...) :)

Sk8pdx
12-02-2006, 10:40 PM
How about if your secondary coach recommends a third coach to work on something specific on a temporarily basis but your primary coach doesn't want you to? How do you handle that then?

(Just had dinner and now relaxing with a mud mask...) :)

Hmmmm. Well if it were me, I am the one with the $$ and I am the one who pays them to be the boss of me. Have you asked your primary if there isn't any reason why they wouldn't want you to be a batter skater by working with another coach on a particular element with the understanding it IS temporary? I did this with our skating director with my bronze moves. Even though I have 2 coaches and they are capable of teaching me moves. I wanted 1 other single perspective from someone in MIF. I took only 2 lessons with her 1/2 hour each. I skate at a rink where coaches are very supportive of one another.

(I am having a glass of sparkling wine watching skating on tv. aaahh. nirvana:D )

jazzpants
12-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Hmmmm. Well if it were me, I am the one with the $$ and I am the one who pays them to be the boss of me. Have you asked your primary if there isn't any reason why they wouldn't want you to be a batter skater by working with another coach on a particular element with the understanding it IS temporary? His claim in this case is that the type of thing that secondary coach wants this third coach to do, Jay claimed that HE can do just as well and for cheaper. (I'll have to admit, he did prove his claim by pulling me in a Killian hold and forcing me to skate to keep up with him.) He feels that my focus need to be on my jumps and spins as of now b/c he feels that area is really weak! He did comment though that if I still want him to make me skate faster, he WILL do that and he's in good physical shape to do so too!!! :twisted:

(I am having a glass of sparkling wine watching skating on tv. aaahh. nirvana:D )YOU know how to relax QUITE well, Sk8pdx! WAAAAAY better than me. :D Which brings to the other point that primary coach makes... he thinks I'm on the brink of burning myself out with too many things on my plate. (Yup! He's been talking to hubby and hubby fears the same with me too. And obviously they have a point, since I'm now sick with something...my appetite isn't that great, but I need to still have food in my stomach or I will feel REALLY nauseous.) :giveup:

To be fair to primary coach -- he is NOT forbidding me to go to this Hottie Ice Dance Coach! I can still go if I REALLY wanted to... but he strongly thinks he can do just as good a job and for a lot cheaper.

WeirFan06
12-03-2006, 06:38 AM
His claim in this case is that the type of thing that secondary coach wants this third coach to do, Jay claimed that HE can do just as well and for cheaper. (I'll have to admit, he did prove his claim by pulling me in a Killian hold and forcing me to skate to keep up with him.) He feels that my focus need to be on my jumps and spins as of now b/c he feels that area is really weak! He did comment though that if I still want him to make me skate faster, he WILL do that and he's in good physical shape to do so too!!! :twisted:

To be fair to primary coach -- he is NOT forbidding me to go to this Hottie Ice Dance Coach! I can still go if I REALLY wanted to... but he strongly thinks he can do just as good a job and for a lot cheaper.

Jazzpants, just go with your intuition. Do what YOU want to do... because after all you're skating for YOU! If you want to come and skate with dancey boy for a few sessions then just tell your primary that you understand where he's coming from, but you want to just try it out a couple of times to see what it's like. But if you don't want to skate with him... or rather don't think it's the best thing to do right now, then tell your secondary that you've thought about it and now isn't the right time to add something else to your plate.

You're free to come sometime and watch one of my dance lessons if you want... maybe that will help you decide if you even like his style of coaching.

To be honest, I don't think your secondary coach would be nearly as insistent on you taking lessons from him if she knew that it was YOU and not your primary coach calling the shots and making the decision. That's just my two cents anyway. Good luck :)

Isk8NYC
12-03-2006, 06:57 AM
It's more than just respect; such actions are governed by PSA ethics rules. The new coach would need to contact the former coach to let him/her know about the coach change. (I know of certain instances where the new coach did NOT alert the old coach, and well, it got unpleasant.)
I do call/speak with the other coach when a student wants to change to me, however I'm unusual in that respect. It's only happened to me after the summer, and I was very insulted and hurt by one situation this year. You're an adult with a DD who skates, you're at the d**n session, just walk over and say "() wants to try everything, so this year she wants to take from a different coach." That's all. Instead, this spineless woman sent her DD to ask the desired new coach. The kid asked her right in front of me! I'm over it now, especially since the kid's on her third coach of the season. She's just fickle, I guess.

I felt very bad for the coach in yesterday's situation. S/he was so obviously caught off-guard and the fact that the new coach was LITERALLY new (to the rink) was upsetting. I thought s/he'd go ballistic, but s/he was very professional.

I can't find the specific PSA document that states what Nova's mentioned, but the PSA did lay down some "changeover" guidelines. I thought the focus was more on having the skater/parents tell the old coach and ensuring that all bills have been paid in full.

DallasSkater
12-03-2006, 07:22 AM
Sk8pdx: Sounds like you will really benefit from that class! interesting about the back spin as I am supposed to be learning this too. I will try again today. I thought it just felt foreign because it was on the right foot. Had not thought about concentrating the outside edge. Hope that helps me too as I can only get a revolution if I start on the left leg and then switch to the right...giggle. I keep doing that to just get a feel or finding the center on the right...sort of looks like a spinning march! (well that is...when it works!)

Rusty: Glad things worked out for you. It sounds like you were profoundly impacted by her style in addressing you.

Flying: Skated at a different rink yesterday that is so much less crowded. I think I am going to take intermediate freestyle at both my rink and this one. Enrollment at my rink comes with free unlimited public...but at the other comes with free after your class plus an additional pass to their very non crowded public sessions per week. It would also afford me opportunity to work with two coaches as the elements are all dictated by ISI so will be the same.

Practiced my waltz eight again and it is feeling better. Trying to do a cleaner spin entry from backward cross overs and doing salchow out of backward cross overs. Also spending each session with extra edges time to keep them clean for MIF pre bronze.

Falling: Still have a pulled muscle....It is not until you are sore that you are so aware of how many simple activities require certain muscles! Ouch! Toe loop from lunge is still a hit or miss thing!

Will skate at my crowded rink today...wonder what I will be able to get done!

Mrs Redboots
12-03-2006, 07:49 AM
The next question will be: can I take my skating from 7.5 hours a week to 11.5 hours or is it time to drop some sessions?? We'll see.Is this including the time spent playing on your back-garden rink, or exclusive of it?

Jazzpants, hope you feel better soon.

Rusty Blades
12-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Rusty: Glad things worked out for you. It sounds like you were profoundly impacted by her style in addressing you.

Very perceptive of you. My former coach and I are VERY close friends and of very much the same personality. If it had been anyone else, I would have chuckled and skated away.

Is this including the time spent playing on your back-garden rink, or exclusive of it?

Exclusive. The outdoor rink is SO dependent on the weather. It doesn't take much of a breeze to make it uncomfortable when it is -28C (like this morning). Hopefully I will have skateable ice here within the week but this past week we have had snow every day or every other day and I can't flood when its snowing. It is calm and clear this morning so the rink is flooding now :mrgreen:

kateskate
12-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Comments re coaching change

Thanks for comments. I know you have to tell your old coach if you intend to switch and that a new coach shouldn't take on a student they know has lessons from someone else.

In my case, I stopped dance lessons altogether for about 3 months then I restarted with another teacher. I told my old coach I was stopping dance for good so he knew I wasn't going back to him. And at the time I did intend to stop dance but then I missed it and went back to dance but with another teacher. It just wasn't working with the first teacher and thats why I stopped in the first place

Out of courtesy I did tell him I was having lessons from someone else but he went MENTAL. I always wondered if I could have handled it better....

Skate@Delaware
12-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Falling: Woke up feeling dizzy yesterday and today so I had to take more decongestant and antihistimine....but not the antivert-that stuff is evil and I can't take it anymore!!! The other stuff I like to take isn't available except behind the pharmacy counter and darn near impossible to get (the "old" sudafed sinus). So, scratch spins will be traveling again.....

Ooops! forgot my competition application at home...so I took one that was posted on the board (last one up...it's due today so too bad!).

Flying: Today was my choice-told my coach that I've been in a funk-since it's the holidays...possibly our last one together!!! My daughter will be who-knows-where in the Navy next year and I've been sad (and crying...early start on the whole empty nest thing, even though the boy is still home) and the show is still in shambles and disarray....I picked...

THE CAMEL!!!!!!

This surprised her, I haven't worked on it since April...so from a "T" was how we started and it actually wasn't bad! Got up to 1.5 revs and in good position! She gave me some positive feedback and positive reinforcement!!! Now I have something new to work on.

Then she suggested the sit spin, which actually wasn't too bad (for once)! She was happy with some of the ones I did....suggested trailing the non-skating leg longer and keep on the ball of the skating foot more...but she said they were better than the ones done in April. :D

Next up: the loop! I haven't done these for her in a while (September), although I do hit them here and there. She did suggest I do the "trailing foot off the ice" exercise; but she did say I was getting good height...she wasn't too concerned about the left foot landings...or the left foot touching down...she said they were MUCH better and I was really getting on that edge!!!

I do feel better! Whether or not I go back to adult skate this pm is another story...I feel like a popsicle...It's been a battle to gain back the 4 pounds I've lost this past week (was sick with an upper respiratory thing and lost 2 from not eating; then was sick with the migraine and lost 2 more). Never thought that this would be a problem :frus: but it is beginning to be...at what point do I start to worry??? I would love to eat tons of cheese and ice cream, but I'm also lactose intolerant (darn!!!)

Skittl1321
12-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Obviously, since the skater's a child, it was the parent's reponsibility to "break the news." They didn't and, to his credit, the old coach didn't make a scene.

I'm not sure if this will get read, since this is last weeks thread, but I wanted to question the "obviously" in this statement. At any point are parents told of this expectation? If I had not been so internet savy, as well as have the time and drive to find out absolutely everything about ice skating, not only would I have never heard of PSA, I would never know its a bad idea to take classes from more than one coach at a time.

I think it makes much more sense that it's the coaches responsibility to check- because they are informed of this responsibility, by PSA. When I approached the man who will be my coach starting in January the first thing he asked me was if I was working with anyone else. I assume if I had said yes, he would tell me I need to inform them I was cuttting off the relationship.

But where do parents find out that "obviously" it is their responsibility that they tell a coach they are going with someone else.

(Other than courtesy, but we should all know that often sports parents with little princesses lack that.)

(Sorry to pick so much on your choice of wording, I don't mean it against you, and now that I am informed of the skating world, it is quite obvious, but to someone who doesn't spend all days on the forums, is it?)

jazzpants
12-04-2006, 05:43 PM
I would love to eat tons of cheese and ice cream, but I'm also lactose intolerant (darn!!!)Be glad you can take something for it. I am ALLERGIC to milk and NOTHING but a nearby clean bathroom is gonna help with that! :oops: :giveup: :frus:

SpaMama
12-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Too funny! I think spamama is seriously considering the beginner adult class for this next semester! (Sometimes just announcing someone's intent works!)

OOOOOOH, you are EVIL!!!!!:twisted:

To tell you the truth - 2nd dd just began privates too, so I CANT AFFORD TO SKATE!!!! But who can, right?

I can skate and even do jumps in my dreams, is that good enough?:P

SpaMama

jazzpants
12-04-2006, 11:21 PM
NO!!!!! :twisted: :P

(Just helping out DallasSkater there...) ;) :lol:

But seriously, give it a try!!! Heck, if this big http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/c010.gif can pass her Bronze FS test in a few years, you certainly could get yourself on ice! ;)

Isk8NYC
12-05-2006, 12:16 AM
OOOOOOH, you are EVIL!!!!!:twisted:

To tell you the truth - 2nd dd just began privates too, so I CANT AFFORD TO SKATE!!!! But who can, right?

SpaMama
No, it's not good enough. You know you wanna do it in real life.
There must be a way ...

I just set up semi-privates for the twins. My DH remarked on how much "skating money" I had in the bank account from teaching this year. (It's taken my three years to get back in the black after losing all my students and groups with family crises.)

I laughed and told him what's coming down the pike in expenses: new Klingbeils for me, new boots-and-blades for the twins, new blades for the oldest DD, plus weekly private lessons for the twins. I'm trying to get the teenager to go back into groups at the rink where "nobody knows her name."

This is last week's thread, so I'm not going to post any real skating notes. LOL

Mrs Redboots
12-05-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm not sure if this will get read, since this is last weeks thread, but I wanted to question the "obviously" in this statement. At any point are parents told of this expectation? If I had not been so internet savy, as well as have the time and drive to find out absolutely everything about ice skating, not only would I have never heard of PSA, I would never know its a bad idea to take classes from more than one coach at a time.Don't forget that Kateskate is not in the USA, but in the UK where all coaches are professionals, and normally spell out their expectations to their pupils, whether adult or child, before taking them on. Many of them have written down this type of information on a handout they give their pupils, or their pupils' parents, the first session.

Skittl1321
12-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Don't forget that Kateskate is not in the USA, but in the UK where all coaches are professionals, and normally spell out their expectations to their pupils, whether adult or child, before taking them on. Many of them have written down this type of information on a handout they give their pupils, or their pupils' parents, the first session.

Right, and that is wonderful that parents are given expectations of how to be a skate parent.

Although I think kateskate is who started the discussion, the example I quoted was from Isk8NYC and I believe happened at a rink in New York.

So here's another question- none of the coaches I have worked with (although I have only done "here and there" lessons- usually setting up a private to be evaluated for a level in basic skills, - but working with coaches at 3 different rinks in 2 states) have given me any sort of guidelines. Is this the norm at all in the US to inform students that they are obligated to let a coach know when they plan to take on another coach? Or do you just learn through internet boards, if you happen to read them, or trial and error when a coach gets really upset?

jenlyon60
12-05-2006, 09:28 AM
I can't remember as I've ever seen anything in writing from any of my coaches over the years.

Normally for me it hasn't been a problem. In fact, I just changed coaches because one of my coaches moved out of town. When I talked to my new secondary coach, he specifically asked "does your other coach know about this and agree with it" and "does your old coach know". I talked to other coach, who didn't (and she also talked to secondary coach about things).

Oh yes, and he also specifically asked about injuries... if I had any injuries that he should know about in advance.

Isk8NYC
12-05-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm not sure if this will get read, since this is last weeks thread, but I wanted to question the "obviously" in this statement. At any point are parents told of this expectation? If I had not been so internet savy, as well as have the time and drive to find out absolutely everything about ice skating, not only would I have never heard of PSA, I would never know its a bad idea to take classes from more than one coach at a time.

I think it makes much more sense that it's the coaches responsibility to check- because they are informed of this responsibility, by PSA. When I approached the man who will be my coach starting in January the first thing he asked me was if I was working with anyone else. I assume if I had said yes, he would tell me I need to inform them I was cuttting off the relationship.

But where do parents find out that "obviously" it is their responsibility that they tell a coach they are going with someone else.

(Other than courtesy, but we should all know that often sports parents with little princesses lack that.)

(Sorry to pick so much on your choice of wording, I don't mean it against you, and now that I am informed of the skating world, it is quite obvious, but to someone who doesn't spend all days on the forums, is it?)
First, let me clarify that by "obviously," I meant the parents, not the child, should be the person with which the coaches should discuss issues.

I tell my students' parents up front that I expect the courtesy of a call if they decide to change coaches, just as I ask them to call if they're going to skip a lesson and that they have to pay for ice time. Still, I have no shows and some of them "forget" to pay for their freestyle/public sessions, so that doesn't work. Some coaches give out little "private lesson" brochures, but it's not done in the rinks I coach in now.

Before the popularity of the internet, parents would talk to the head pro/skating director, the coaches, and other parents. They would see other skaters changing coaches and realize what worked well and what didn't. As an adult skater, I saw a lot of arguments and complaining about "poaching" and "stealing" when skaters started lessons with another coach without telling their former pro. I also saw a lot of transitions where the parents set the tone and the skater/coaches followed and there were no hard feelings. With today's "team coaching" approach, this happens less often because skaters transition less obviously.

Today, with the internet, there are a multitude of sources that say the parents tell the old pro first. If you're really unsure of how to do it, talk to the head pro/skating director and ask for their guidance.

I haven't found the PSA "requirement" in writing that says the new pro MUST be the one to inform the old pro. (That was suggested in a PSA article, but it may not have been endorsed.) However, the PSA does state that the new pro is supposed to find out if 1) the skater is a current student of another coach; 2) the old pro is informed; and 3) all outstanding bills are paid. Some pros, rather than risk a confrontation, will simply ask the parent/skater and let it go at that. The PSA rules do say that coaches may not solicit, which includes commenting to parents/skating about the current coach, giving free tips or any lessons to other coaches' students.

Having witnessed blowups, I don't EVER want to be part of them, so I'm over-the-top in managing these. I inform the parent/skater that I will talk to the old pro on (day), but I would like them to discuss it with that person first. I also inform the Skating Director/Head Pro. I've been given the same courtesy in return.

I DO believe it's a courtesy issue. Rarely do you begin lessons with a new coach without discussing it with them, why wouldn't you have the courage and consideration to discuss it with them on the way out? This is a pseudo-employee, would you like to be "fired" in this way?

I'm betting your new coach has a good relationship with your old coach and therefore didn't ask you to inform him/her. We have a few low-level coaches who "feed" their students up to the higher-level coaches when the skaters' ready and it's really no big deal for them to switch among themselves. Same goes for switching coaches within the "Team."

Skittl1321
12-05-2006, 10:08 AM
First, let me clarify that by "obviously," I meant the parents, not the child, should be the person with which the coaches should discuss issues.

That makes more sense than how I read it. I thought you meant it should have been obvious to the parent that they needed to tell the coach, not just that they should be the one to tell.

Today, with the internet, there are a multitude of sources that say the parents tell the old pro first. If you're really unsure of how to do it, talk to the head pro/skating director and ask for their guidance.

My issue isn't that I'm unsure of how do this, or that I don't want to. I most definetly will let my coach know in advance if I ever plan to change coaches.- just that I don't think the expectation that you have to tell your coach before you look for a new coach that you are thinking of doing this- is out there for people to know they have to do this- unless they are very internet savy, which many people who are internet savy assume everyone else is.

I DO believe it's a courtesy issue. Rarely do you begin lessons with a new coach without discussing it with them, why wouldn't you have the courage and consideration to discuss it with them on the way out? This is a pseudo-employee, would you like to be "fired" in this way.

And I agree with you completely. I plan to handle any future coaching change in the manner that I've learned through this board is proper. However, I do think it's strange I have to tell my old coach I am looking for a new coach (trial lessons) before I find one. I wouldn't tell my job I am looking for a new job before I find one. I would merely give them notice of my leave.

I'm betting your new coach has a good relationship with your old coach and therefore didn't ask you to inform him/her. We have a few low-level coaches who "feed" their students up to the higher-level coaches when the skaters' ready and it's really no big deal for them to switch among themselves.
I'm actually coming out of LTS so it's not an issue for me right now. I'm merely pointing out, if I didn't hang out here, (which I'm glad I do- because you people sure know a lot more about the skating world then what I've found at my rink- so I'm more knowledgeable for it) I would never know any of these little details. I would act only on what I assumed was courtesy- but from what I can tell, some of it might have been wrong.

Isk8NYC
12-05-2006, 10:37 AM
However, I do think it's strange I have to tell my old coach I am looking for a new coach (trial lessons) before I find one. I wouldn't tell my job I am looking for a new job before I find one. I would merely give them notice of my leave. You're not the EMPLOYEE, you're the employer. Think of how many companies announce that outsourcing and layoffs are a-comin' in the hopes of having people make other arrangements. I personally despise layoffs, but a warning in advance is better than the *Suprise-you're out of a job!* approach.

I'm merely pointing out, if I didn't hang out here, (which I'm glad I do- because you people sure know a lot more about the skating world then what I've found at my rink- so I'm more knowledgeable for it) I would never know any of these little details. I would act only on what I assumed was courtesy- but from what I can tell, some of it might have been wrong.
You know what's really different now than when I skated in the 1980's? Clubs in the US aren't the only game in town for figure skating, and more adults are skating. As adults, we cobble together snippets of time in our schedule for practice, lessons, and comps. Our coaches are hand-picked, often without input from directors, head pros, or other skaters.

While some rinks had freestyle sessions, most had skating clubs that rented the ice and ran the sessions with rules and "propriety." Clubs had a head pro who was supposed to (but often didn't) mitigate changeovers and conflicts. It was more tight-knit, so word of mouth got around bad changeovers and such.

As an adult, I was privvy to a lot of things that skaters, and even their parents, wouldn't know about. Think about the skating parent: they brought their skater to the rink, then they'd hang out and talk. That's how they learned the ropes. It's communication and feedback that adult skaters really don't get today.

ETA:
I'm actually coming out of LTS so it's not an issue for me right now.
You'd be surprised. At a coaches' meeting this year, a topic of discussion was whether group instructors should have first preference for the group students that want privates. (The answer was "NO" - the student/parents choose their private instructor.)

BTW, I wasn't offended by your post. I thought it was a great question.

Skittl1321
12-05-2006, 10:50 AM
You're not the EMPLOYEE, you're the employer. Think of how many companies announce that outsourcing and layoffs are a-comin' in the hopes of having people make other arrangements. I personally despise layoffs, but a warning in advance is better than the *Suprise-you're out of a job!* approach.

Hmmm... this makes it even stranger. While I have heard of a few companies that give advanced notice of major layoffs, my experience has been that for indivduals this isn't the case. (My boss at my last job was there before lunch (on a tuesday) and then just gone when we all got back- really quite horrible. The job before that worked the same way- although usually at the end of the day. The air force did give my husbands unit advance notice, and actually took volunteers first- which is how he got out.) As the employer- can I interview new candidates before letting the first one go? Clearly in skating, no. I'm glad I know that. But it really seems like it will be a "grass is always greener" situation, if you can't try a new coach out before getting rid of the old one. (Or at least offending him/her with the notation that you are looking)

Thanks for explaining how skating used to work. I remember some of the things you talked about- and that's really why I didn't skate as a kid. The system was complicated and the figure practice didn't fit into my mom's carpool schedule (my sister was an elite gymnast). And if you didn't do patch you couldn't take group lessons.

Really, I'm not at all arguing with the system, and I don't want it to seem that way. It just seems like it's expected that everyone knows all this.

phoenix
12-05-2006, 11:27 AM
As the employer- can I interview new candidates before letting the first one go? Clearly in skating, no.

Actually, yes, you can, it's just considered correct courtesy/ethics to let the current coach know about it. Just tell your coach that you'd like to take a few lessons w/ XX coach. They may not like it, but at least then they'll know what's going on. Since coaches work at many of the same places together, otherwise chances are your coach could walk into the rink & see you having a lesson w/ another coach--how would that make them feel? It's happened to me, & I felt really bad.

On the other hand, they may not mind at all, and they may encourage you to get info from other coaches from time to time. Sometimes it helps to hear things said a different way. My current coach has never minded if I take a lesson here or there w/ someone else, though I always let him know about it first. And he is in no danger of losing me as a student.

I have had my own students do this, and it is also helpful because then I discuss things w/ the other coach--what did they work on, specific instructions that I can then reinforce, things to take note of, etc. So that way everyone is working together for the benefit of the skater.

Skate@Delaware
12-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Be glad you can take something for it. I am ALLERGIC to milk and NOTHING but a nearby clean bathroom is gonna help with that! :oops: :giveup: :frus:
Sorry to hear that, jazzpants! My sister is also allergic to dairy (and beef-shame, since we used to raise our own beef). Luckily, she is an excellent cook and can adapt recipes. I just do without.

As for the other discussion about jumping around from coach to coach and expectations, when I first "hired" my current coach, she gave me a handout with her expectations of her students (child and adult). Full of common-sense things: her fees, call if you can't make the lesson, pay on time, let her know if you don't want to take lessons from her anymore, etc.

When my daughter switched coaches (mostly due to the other coach never showing up-too many other obligations) her new coach made sure that the old coach was notified before lessons began. She didn't want to get caught in any crossfire! Perfectly understandable!

Rob Dean
12-05-2006, 03:11 PM
I've been going through all of this during the past week, as it looks like I'm adding a backup coach to my employee roster. 8O (Just what the budget needed--son has been working with as many as three, one of whom is my primary coach.) Everybody involved in the process seems to have made multiple calls to ensure that everybody else was in agreement :) , so it looks like this will be working well. With son's coaches, I added the second one (for some dance) after consultation with his primary, primary added a choreographer to the mix (temporarily) after consulting with me.

But...practically speaking, I don't recall where I picked all this protocol up from. I do not think anyone every formally briefed me on it, and it seems to me that those rinks/coaches with handouts are on the right track.

Rob

Isk8NYC
12-06-2006, 09:44 AM
But...practically speaking, I don't recall where I picked all this protocol up from. I do not think anyone every formally briefed me on it, and it seems to me that those rinks/coaches with handouts are on the right track.Rob
It's just hearsay/witness information. I like the UK approach of a handout, but I don't want to be mocked. I remember one coach wearing a button that said "Ask me about private lessons!" on her coaches' jacket. The higher-ups made fun of her for weeks.

Let's say I did put together a handout. What would it include?

Skittl1321
12-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Let's say I did put together a handout. What would it include?

Seems like that should be a new thread! Some ideas- not being a coach, I don't know what exactly would be practical- and in hindsight, it appears I'm writing a newsletter, not a handout :)

I would say
1) Expectations of parents- get your skater there one time, pay on time (as well as your payment expectations- monthly, before each lesson, one week in advance...- I would not put the rate on there because I know many coaches who give some people price breaks per personal agreements), cancelation policy

2) Expectations for skaters- always try, focus on the lesson, do they need to have a skaters notebook at the lesson (my coach charges a quarter if we forget), do you expect them to be in a skirt/tights,

3)Make up lesson policy

4) Professional Courtesy. "If you choose to take lessons from another coach, please inform me before the lessons begin. If you are currently taking lessons from another coach, please inform them before you begin lessons with me"

5)Rink Etiquette (What the heck is a lutz corner? Don't park on a circle, right of way expectations- do those apply during public sessions?)

6) Competition policy- do you go with your students? How much do you charge? do you make tapes? ISI or USFSA?

Those are things I'd like to know from a coach before hand. My coach actually has a handout on his website that I just ran across that he gives to parents. I guess I didn't get one because I'm not a parent? I still don't know what a lutz corner is though. (Well I know WHAT it is, but not where, or even if my rink observes it- but is it just EVERY corner of the rink is only for doing lutzes? Or do only CCW skaters get corners? Seems like a huge part of the rink is reserved just for one jump though...)

Isk8NYC
12-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Seems like that should be a new thread!

Good idea - here it is:

http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=22230