View Full Version : Camel- need some info

miraclegro
11-24-2006, 06:35 PM
I am looking to see if anyone has a picture of the edgework going into a camel to compare with what i am currently doing, or, also any slo-mo videos.

I am starting to wonder if the back entrance edge needs to be shorter? Or, perhaps if my front entry into the 3-turn needs to be smaller? I need to see what it LOOKS like on the tracing, and any other help.

I can nail that thing so great at times, then at other times, i skid into it, or just don't get it. When it's good, it's amazing!

MQSeries
11-24-2006, 06:39 PM
The camel entrace is interesting. One book says to step into it the same way as you're stepping into a forward scratch spin, ie Step into the circle. Another book I read says for the camel you have to step outside of the circle. For me I find that stepping into the circle works.

Most skating instructional book will have a pattern of what stepping into a spin should look like. Check out the Sport Illustrated book with Brian Boitano for some good pictures.

techskater
11-25-2006, 04:21 AM
Try the Lussi video.

miraclegro
11-25-2006, 06:54 AM
Well, i may order the Lussi video, however, i am in a skating show in just a few weeks, and i don't have time to get it in, i'm afraid. So if anyone knows what good ol' Lussi has to say about it, let me know. Thanks!

doubletoe
11-25-2006, 12:43 PM
For me, the difference between a scratch spin and camel spin entry is that I need to get a really deep knee bend on my camel entrance or else the entrance edge isn't round enough and I pop up from it too early. When I step onto my entrance edge, I think about planting my left foot into the ice, bending really deeply and then pushing around while keeping my left shoulder high and my chin up.

miraclegro
11-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Thanks, doubletoe,

Will try to over-emphasize those tips, to be sure i am doing them. Thanks!

doubletoe
11-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Good luck! FX that you get it working in time! :D

Casey
11-25-2006, 09:44 PM
maybe it's just me and I'm doing it all wrong, but I have to think about turning the skating leg out as much as I can to get it...

miraclegro
11-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Doubletoe, went to the rink after t-giving break and tried bending way more, and voila! Let's hope it sticks! Was even able to do camel - sit-change-sit!

Starting working on the flying camel i was so pumped up! i think i might nail that one pretty well, in due time. Back camel, well, have never attempted that one yet...

Thanks for the tips, ya'll!

jazzpants
11-26-2006, 02:37 PM
YAAAAAY miraclegro. (Now to get back on the ice at a much quieter and saner ice session so I can see whether my good luck on my camels holds from coffee club... Nice to see that someone else besides my prmary coach saw that my camel attempts are gettin' better and I'm actually spinning in position for once.) ;)

doubletoe
11-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Doubletoe, went to the rink after t-giving break and tried bending way more, and voila! Let's hope it sticks! Was even able to do camel - sit-change-sit!

Starting working on the flying camel i was so pumped up! i think i might nail that one pretty well, in due time. Back camel, well, have never attempted that one yet...

Thanks for the tips, ya'll!

Wow, you rock!! :D