View Full Version : Going to a competition without a coach - Scary!

dani
09-09-2002, 08:45 PM
Hi everyone!

As you all know, I skated the Peach Classic and I was very, very nervous heading into it. Part of it was the unknown factor of how I was going to skate.

Another, HUGE, part of it was the unknown of skating my first real competition. I really didn't know what to do or where to go or anything like that. I think this was my biggest problem and was the source of a lot of stress. Add to this that I didn't know anyone and that is quite a lot to worry about!

Enter Flutzilla! We made friends here. She offered to stand with me by the boards. She did so much more than that! She gave me a bottle of water. She grabbed my tape after I was done. She cheered me on. She helped guide my warmup.

I skated a great free-skate (for me) and I think a lot of that is due to Flutzilla - Thanks!! I hope it was some sort of karma because she skated an incredible free skate (although I was competing on the other surface so I didn't get to see it until the tape later)

Hugs!
Danielle

ps) Maybe we should try to start a big sister kind of program for these adult competitions where we can't always afford to bring our coaches!

singerskates
09-09-2002, 09:45 PM
Good idea. I seem to always go coachless to competitions. I usually cheer on my competitors upto and even when they are coming off of the ice and I'm going on the ice.

dani
09-10-2002, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by singerskates
Good idea. I seem to always go coachless to competitions. I usually cheer on my competitors upto and even when they are coming off of the ice and I'm going on the ice.

Exactly Singer, but it isn't at all just being cheered on. It is that you have no clue what happens next. That unknown is quite a distraction!

Hugs!
Danielle

garyc254
09-10-2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by dani
ps) Maybe we should try to start a big sister kind of program for these adult competitions where we can't always afford to bring our coaches!

How about big sister/big brother. Can't leave us guys out. :lol:

An excellent idea!!

I think that the postings which ask "Who's going to..." really helps. Those that are attending can hook-up in advance, then make plans to meet at the competition. There are usually a couple of people that are familiar with the rink who could assist those that have never been before.

flo
09-10-2002, 09:10 AM
We've been doing this at Nationals. There's always another skater willing to help out. It really helps to have someone to tell you who is on the ice, if they are running behind or ahead and such.

dani
09-10-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by garyc254
How about big sister/big brother. Can't leave us guys out. :lol:

Of course, Sorry Gary! ;-) I thought about that, but ... ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

Mrs Redboots
09-10-2002, 10:57 AM
Indeed, we do it too in the UK and at the various Adult Internationals.

But for those of you who have yet to compete, do try to watch a local competition before you take the plunge. Your local club will always welcome a volunteer, if you don't fancy just sitting and watching! If you find you have entered the next competition, and there isn't one you can go and watch, then sit down with your coach, or a more experienced skater if your coach is too busy, and go through exactly what will happen, and what you can expect. Write it down! Make a list of everything you will need to take with you, and make sure you have it. Practice going on the ice and running straight through your programme after only a 6-minute warm-up (or however long you are going to have at this competition - FIND OUT!).

If in doubt - ask! Also, tell people that it is your first competition, and you will find they will help you out and be there for you. And cheer you on, and congratulate you afterwards.

flutzilla1
09-10-2002, 04:34 PM
Thanks Dani! :) I was very happy to do it and even happier that it helped you feel more comfortable. You did a fantastic job at your first USFSA competition and I am very proud of how well you skated and most importantly I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself and had a great time at a great competition! (Note to anyone thinking about Peach Classic next year: Go! This was my second year and the GAFSC adults do an incredible job running this event).

As for me, I've also been fortunate to have fellow adult skaters coach me through competitions and a test session -- Jodi (from the old FSW boards) helped me sk8 gr8 at State Games, and 1lutz2klutz really did a great job keeping me calm and focused and was as big of a part of me passing my Bronze test as my actual skating was. And of course I would never have survived the ISI Adult Champs without IceT's help at the boards. :)

I also really like the big sister/brother/mentor idea. I know it's really helped me having a fellow adult skater there when my coach can't be, because as much as my hubby and other non skating friends have tried valiantly in the past to help me out pre-competition, they just really don't know what I am going through before I get on the ice the way my fellow adults skater friends do.

singerskates
09-10-2002, 09:29 PM
I forgot to say, that I've volunteered as ice captain, results runner, sign maker, music player, music registration, trasportation desk, ice patcher and registration at various level competitions from local invitationals, divisionals (pre- Eastern and Western Challenges that lead to Canadians and Junior Canadians) and Canadians. So I know what goes on at competitions and what to look for. If you want to get a feel for what to expect when competing at a competition, volunteer at a local kids skating competition. They'd be glad to get the help and being an adult, you'll get a more involvled job to do. Then when you go to compete, it will be old hat. That's why when I went to my first competition, it was relaxing after they were finished calling my name on the warm up. (That was truely the worst-the on ice warm up introduction, just about tripped over my toe picks they made me so nervous.)

Mrs Redboots
09-11-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by singerskates
I forgot to say, that I've volunteered as ice captain, results runner, sign maker, music player, music registration, trasportation desk, ice patcher and registration at various level competitions from local invitationals, divisionals (pre- Eastern and Western Challenges that leads to Canadians and Junior Canadians) and Canadians. The absolute worst is announcing, and I always end up having to do it at international competitions as I speak French! And someone told me at Bordeaux I sounded like Katie Boyle at the Eurovision Song Contest..... oh yikes! The thing is, I need both distance spectacles and reading glasses, and the first time I tried, I hadn't realised that the thing to do was to put in my contact lenses and then my non-prescription readers on top, as I can look over the top of them. But with my reading-glasses on I couldn't see the judges' marks, and with them off, I couldn't see who the next skater was to be!

And at Bordeaux it was awful because the commentary box was miles from the judges, and you absolutely couldn't see the marks at all. Didn't help when the furthest-away judge kept holding up the wrong thing, mind.....