View Full Version : excercises to strengthen arms?

newbieskater
11-22-2006, 12:25 PM
anyone have any good excercises to help strengthen the arms? also any that will help strengthen the shoulder/back muscles? i have a tendency to roll my shoulders forward and drop the back arm down when skating.

thanks very much!

techskater
11-22-2006, 12:37 PM
weight training is good for both.

Pilates is good for core muscles

Kuddles
11-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Pushups work best, not those girly ones either. :twisted:

Skate@Delaware
11-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah, weight training is good. Any well-rounded workout for your shoulders, upper back, chest, and abs is a good start. But if you don't have access to a gym, you can do exercises using body-weight...you know, the old-fashioned way...pushups, pullups, chair dips, and the like. A book on calesthenics and pilates can help (maybe you can find them at the library).

MQSeries
11-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Arms:
-----
tricep extension
tricep pressdown
bicep curl
reverse bicept curl (for the forarm)

Shoulder
--------
Dumbell press
Dumbell lateral raise
Bent over dumbell row (for the back shoulder)

Back
-----
One-arm dumbell row
Lat pull-down
Chin-up

If you're working out at home and don't have dumbell then just use something like a can of coffee, etc. Something that will give you some resistance.

Skate@Delaware
11-24-2006, 08:51 PM
The November 2006 edition of Women's Health magazine has an article, "The Best Exercise for Every Body Part" and it's fairly complete but simple-bodyweight, dumbbells, chinup bar...you might want to check it out!

russiet
11-25-2006, 07:36 AM
I use a "Total Gym" . To strengthen the muscles that hold my shoulders back I sit facing up the incline and pull back on the cables. I visualize that Im trying to touch my elbows in back of me.

There are other ways of doing this.