View Full Version : Blade Question

Ice Dancer
11-22-2006, 03:12 AM
Sorry in advance if this is really obvious!

I am about to get my blades sharpened for the first time, the back of one of them is sticking in the ice and I imagine that is the answer. I have had them about five weeks so I feel now is the time.

I don't live overly near my rink, so ideally I want to combine a trip to the shop and the rink to save on petrol. I am off work next week so I am going to go during the day a few times to take advantage of the quiet period.

However, the shop has really dumb opening hours!! It is open in the evening when there is no session, and isn't open when there is one, and the daytime session starts at 11:15, but the shop doesn' open until 1pm.

Anyway, my question is, is it ok to get the blades sharpened AFTER a session on the ice when they will be cold and damp. I always dry them after a skate session, but you know how it is when you get home-the soakers are always a little damp!!

Sorry again if this is obvious, I always assumed that you would get them sharpened before a skate, so have never really considered this and I am not sure if it would damage the blade or not sharpen properly if it was wet.

Mrs Redboots
11-22-2006, 06:33 AM
This won't be a problem, assuming the sharpener knows what s/he is doing.

Skate@Delaware
11-22-2006, 06:52 AM
I once got mine sharpened in the middle of a session, only because that was the only time I could squeeze it in (the sharpener was running late that day). He said it was no big deal-dried them off and took them.

I keep a hand towel in my skate bag and wipe the blades really well after each session, before putting the soakers on. I find it helps, rather than just putting the soakers on. If I've put my hard guards on between the rink and my seat, I take them and tap the water out of them, just to keep the dampness out of my bag.

Team Arthritis
11-22-2006, 07:34 AM
sharpening makes the blades hot and they will dry themselves
Lyle

NickiT
11-22-2006, 07:47 AM
It won't be a problem. I hand mine over to the coach who sharpens them after my lesson usually and he takes them home and does them. A word of warning though. Do be careful taking them to a rink shop for a sharpening. Often it's just the stewards let loose with the equipment and they can be known for doing more harm than good. Always go to someone who is recommended to you. Hopefully you have someone reputable doing your blades.

Nicki