View Full Version : Tim David's SILVER FREE SKATING Test ~ Tosca's last dance

TimDavidSkate
11-20-2006, 02:06 PM
6:10am *Cell phone alarm goes off*
~Groggy, got dressed yata, yata, yata

6:31 I leave the apartment
Half a block away from the subway I realize I forgot my sheet that has the bus & gate number, time,

6:56 I arrive at Port Authority Bus Terminal. I saw the line for the ticketing booth was long (8 people). Rats, I thought, I was hoping to ask the agent the bus number and etc. I decided to go to the kiosk and see if I can remember the number by memory. Hmmm Bus 197 Wayne, Warwick. Sounds familiar, eh, I have to get it now, I dont have that much time. Then the machine ask me the zone number, great! umm I saw the farthest zone 20, rather have much than short.
I started walking towards the gates, now Im going by visual memory. I went into the gate where I thought it would be, YES!!! gate 233, YEY!

7:25 The 197 pulled up and I made sure I sat in the front since I could hardly remember where the exact stop would be

8:27 I halted to the driver to stop on Barbour Pond Road and Valley Road
I walked one block to the rink and found rink 1 empty.

I got dressed and laced up my skates and stepped on the ice at 8:52

I placed Tosca on the loud speaker and had it play on loop at least 3 times.

9:12 Nina Petrenko stepped onto the ice sporting an Italian National team jacket with a 2002 Olympic fleece sweater and scarf.

9:16 I decided to tackle the spins first since I knew that got me easily tired
Camel - blah! Camel - traveled 3 feet (oooh no), Camel - stepped out
Attitude - traveled 3.5 feet (wondered if something is wrong with my left blade - maybe the setting is slightly off) Camel - got into the hook but couldnt hold the edge continously.

9:32 I did two waltz jumps, salchow, salchow/half-loop/salchow (wonky and out of place), I never do half loop jump sequences AT ALL!!! I did at least 1 more time and said, eh, good enough. Then moved onto Flip and Loop/Loop.

9:34 Victor Patrenko stepped onto the ice to coach the head case 2axel girl. He was wearing a Ukraine jacket.

9:36 I decided to play my music for the last time. I just mapped out the jumps and decided to do the spins. Camel - hook too short-step out, Second Camel - body wasnt in a spiral position so I bailed out.

9:44 I stepped off the ice and figured I had enough. I took two pills of dramamine, just in case.

The test was running behind, there was a JR Nat competitor and was being critiqued by the panel.

10:47 I was given permission by the test chairman to ask the panel a question. I asked them if I can do a camel/attitude for a combination and if it would be properly ratified. They said yes. Yey I thought. I told them that due to my surgery I am unable to do a sit spin.

I stepped on the ice for warmup at 11:02 I felt fine, no numb legs, I saw Cathie off the boards reminding me to breathe, I smiled back and nodded.
I started off with a loop/loop, flip, and salchow/half-loop/salchow, stroked around for a little bit then got off the ice 36 seconds before the warmup ended. I quickly took off my left skate because my foot was getting numb. I could feel the looseness of my right boot. I thought it was time for me to start putting duct tape again. ugh

I was calm and not putting too much stress on myself at this time. I figured things would fall into place and if I made a mistake it would only be one and knew I would get a retry.

11:17 I stepped on the ice with full costume (my usual gold outfit-shortsleeves) {yes it was fudging cold} and plus I shaved my head so it was colder. I took two puffs of my inhaler and knew I was set to go.

I did not wait for my feet to tell me to start I just simply took my place and knew everything would be ok.

Loop/Loop: strong checkout and no pussy landing

Salchow/half-loop/salchow: first sal ok, half loop-so/so, salchow (I laughed at myself bc the rarity of me doing these combos)

Camel: one revolution 8O and placed my foot down

Flip: flip? I did the three turn and just turned around like Emily Hughes at Skate America, I quickly turned around to try again, HALF-FLIP! 8O My body was so curved in that it was impossible to get a good check before taking off.

Could this get any worse I thought!

Second Camel attempt: body bailed out and could not even get into an attitude position. Oh dear, I thought: "Darn it, I dont want to go back to this damn rink again and do this over!"

Loop: ok, Salchow: ok, attitude - felt fine so I held it as long as I could and ended on my knees to my swan-05 ending position.

Crap, crap, crap I thought. I took a drink of my hot chocolate that was already cold. I overheard one judge say, "his flip was fine in the warmup, just the spins." I hoped and prayed that my attempt would work this time. I tried THREE TIMES and none worked, they said they kind of understood because of the surgery. Before they were about to dismiss me, I told them I would try a back camel into a back scratch. They agreed. I NEVER did back camels without flying into it, so I knew this attempt would be interesting. I did 1.5 revs and pulled into a backscratch that spun 7 revolutions. I felt like crawling in bed and just forgetting the rest of the day. Cathy handed me the papers and whispered, "you passed" I was shocked. How? Why? Huh? replayed in my head at least 5 times. I got the score sheets and saw:
Judge 1: Tech 2.7 All elements complete, Presentation 2.7 Nice extension
Judge 2: Tech 2.7 Work on your spins - your jumps are fine!, Presentation 2.7 very nice presentation
Judge 3: Tech 2.7, Presenation 2.7 (no notes)

I have hit all passing average scores from all panel. Phew I thought. I knew though that it was not a good performance AT ALL!!! It was trully a gift and a wake up call. It hit me, I am not young anymore that I could pull off these clean performances without preparation. I HAVE TO WORK ON THE FECKING SPINS!!! ugh * Anyways I am happy to compete at competitions as a valid Silver level skater 8-) I will be taking time off for a short while and skate at least once a week until mid-January for New Year's Invitational, Sectionals, and Nationals.

Tessa
11-20-2006, 02:14 PM
ALRIGHT!!!! Way to go! Congrats:)

Isk8NYC
11-20-2006, 02:39 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TIM !!!

lovepairs
11-20-2006, 04:05 PM
A BIG CONGRATS TO YOU!

HEY, PAL, YOU SHOULD HAVE PASSED THE TEST JUST FOR HANGIN OUT AT THE PORT AUTHORITY THAT EARLY IN THE MORNIN! :P

doubletoe
11-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Congratulations!! It's great that you have already passed your test in November. Now you have time to beef up your program and get it perfect before Sectionals and Nationals! :D

aussieskater
11-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Congratulations! What an achievement. Enjoy Adult Nationals...

Terri C
11-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Congratulations.
Now, can you please send those pass vibes South? I'll be retaking Bronze moves in two weeks!

TimDavidSkate
11-20-2006, 10:32 PM
ALRIGHT!!!! Way to go! Congrats:)
CONGRATULATIONS TIM !!!
Congratulations! What an achievement. Enjoy Adult Nationals...

Thanks, I cant wait for Sectionals and Nationals ~ and finally a valid official silver level skater.
Congratulations.
Now, can you please send those pass vibes South? I'll be retaking Bronze moves in two weeks!

Thanks, Sure will do ;-)

Congratulations!! It's great that you have already passed your test in November. Now you have time to beef up your program and get it perfect before Sectionals and Nationals! :D

I will debut a new program for sectionals, I don’t know yet what it would be.

A BIG CONGRATS TO YOU!

HEY, PAY, YOU SHOULD HAVE PASSED THE TEST JUST FOR HANGIN OUT AT THE PORT AUTHORITY THAT EARLY IN THE MORNIN! :P

Thanks dear, Hahaha, yeh it was a joy ;-)

Mrs Redboots
11-21-2006, 07:53 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Team Arthritis
11-21-2006, 11:14 AM
way to go Tim and what an exciting writeup - You really have to save that description of the day - it was inspired.
Lyle

Casey
11-22-2006, 04:43 AM
Congratulations! :)

I hope that you are still competing next year, so that I can go against you and show you how it's really done... ;) :P Hehehe, well in all seriousness, congratulations. :)

dbny
11-22-2006, 09:04 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!

2salch0w
11-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Congrats, Tim. Based on your description, I think your test may be the perfect example of the rule that was being discussed here a little while back. That is, that the judges may pass you if they believe that as a whole you skate at the silver level.

Having seen you compete, IMO you certainly come across as a "silver skater", at the very least. So despite a few mistakes, this must have come through on your test. When I passed my silver freestyle it was with a horrible camel spin. I was surprised, too, but I suppose the rest of my program looked silvery enough. :)

Tim M.