View Full Version : Weekly Advice Thread (19-25 Nov 2006)

Isk8NYC
11-20-2006, 10:00 AM
About.com published an article on layback spins, which might be useful to our on-ice members:

http://figureskating.about.com/od/figureskatingtechnique/ht/layback.htm

Sk8pdx
11-23-2006, 12:46 AM
I love this spin! I am currently working on the attitude spin. Thanks for the link Isk8NYC. I especially found the checklist of "things you will need" very entertaining. ..."a skating rink"... "and a figure skating coach if possible"...yeah, lemme just pull one of those out of my tote bag. :lol:

Does anyone have any helpful insights for twizzles? As part of a little footwork in my holiday program, I am doing twizzles on each foot. I seem to trip over myself as I think I enter them on too deep of an inside edge. I start with the right foot turning CCW, then step with the left foot turning CW. It would be great to at least do more than 1 rotation on each foot. Thanks! :)

Casey
11-23-2006, 02:16 AM
I sure wish I could do a layback, even if it's not the most manly thing. There's a guy at my rink who does great laybacks and it looks really good even if you're not female...more men should try this... :)

I do a weird sort of spin where I cross the foot like a normal scratch spin, but then reach the arms skyward and look at the center of the spin on the rink ceiling. It probably looks really stupid but it feels fun... ;)

techskater
11-23-2006, 04:54 AM
Does anyone have any helpful insights for twizzles? As part of a little footwork in my holiday program, I am doing twizzles on each foot. I seem to trip over myself as I think I enter them on too deep of an inside edge. I start with the right foot turning CCW, then step with the left foot turning CW. It would be great to at least do more than 1 rotation on each foot. Thanks! :)
Make sure your hips and shoulders are square. We all have a tendency to "pick up" the free side to "help" and it just hinders.

Sk8pdx
11-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Make sure your hips and shoulders are square. We all have a tendency to "pick up" the free side to "help" and it just hinders.

That is totally what is happening! thank you for helping me pinpoint this wrongdoing. That certainly helps. :)