View Full Version : Trick jumps/ glides/ spins/ and or MOVES!!

Kuddles
11-20-2006, 01:44 AM
Decided to start this thread where people can share ideas on new moves they have created or have dreamt up.

I myself always plan out about 15-20 mins during my training sessions just to mess around and come up with crazy new things that havent been done before or maybe have just not intentionally :) .

Here are a few that I have become willing to share with the world ;) ...

Ps. The glides are fairly dangerous and shouldnt be attempted by newer skaters... but who am i to tell you what to do eh? ;)

1. The Zubot.
( sadly not my invention,.. a friend of mine created this one and named it after himself)

The zubot jump is a forward take off jump which gets its origins from combining an axle with a toe jump. Wierded out now? You should be, lol.

To perform the Zubot glide forward on an inside edge and pick behind or under ( whichever way you look at it.. ) with the free leg. This should cause you to take off upwards where you hit your back spin and rotate.

Revs include...
half zubot - .5 revs, ( much like a waltz jump )
the zubot - 1.5 revs, (much like the axle )
doubel zubot - 2.5 revs, ( double axle, was tough as hell to first land it, but i managed to beat the creator on this one ;) )
and the triple zubot - 3.5 revs, ( sadly Zubot beat me to this one as i still try and get it, so far he's the only person I know of to pull this off successfully. )

2. The Gambler Glide

Glides are more of show number tricks that i've been doing for years. One of the glides I do most readily to show off with ;) is the gambler glide.

To perform the gambler glide, a person must skate forwards fast ( the more speed you have the further you'll glide , if ya got the balance lol ),
then once speed is attained, perform a 3 turn, as you turn backwards in the 3 turn place your free foot on the ice ( the inside of the boot) then procede to fall down on both boots ( insides) the momentum of the turn will make you glide sideways on the insides of your boots !!!!

3. The YEE-HAW Glide

The yee-haw glide is probably one of the more dangerous glides that i've come up with. And is very very hard on the ankles.

To perform the YEE-HAW glide, a person must skate forwards fast ( slow if your learning) , then procede to cross your feet and fall, as you fall down twist sideways and force your blades outwards, you will land on the outsides of your boots with you legs crossed causing you to glide on the boots. You will look much like a skateboarder or a surfer in stance as you glide with your legs crossed.

4. The funky duck.

The funky duck was created, when I was attempting the ravy spin, ( Mr. walleys sit spin where the foot is crossed under.. )

To perform the funky duck, simply do a shoot the duck , or a duck shoot but instead of gliding with your free leg beside cross it underneath then press it as far forwards as you can. With some flexibility a person can achieve a perfectly straight leg which is crossed under the gliding foot.

(This would be really awesome in a spin but alas, its still a work in progress ;) )

Those are all the tricks im willing to share for now. If you have any comments or tricks of your own please post them here.

Any questions on the tricks I listed Pm me and i will gladly answer questions :)

-Kuddles:twisted:

Mrs Redboots
11-20-2006, 03:36 AM
How about a pigeon eagle, as done by several people here and at least one girl at our rink - the opposite of a spread eagle, where you glide on two feet with your toes pointing towards each other!

But what is probably more important are good ideas for jump and spin entries, since now that even we adults can get one or two competitions marked under the NJS, it's quite important to think of our transitions and not just do crossovers. Husband does his loop jump from a LFO spiral - he comes up, does a 3-turn on his right foot and then jumps up. Usually lands it, too, although occasionally 2-footed.

Bill_S
11-20-2006, 04:32 AM
I've been working on Gold moves, and brackets are a challenge. Lately I've been trying brackets in almost every situation I can.

I need repetitions to learn something, and invent patterns that permit many reps in a short time.

There's an "oxbow" bracket pattern that exercises my RFO and LFO brackets. I've drawn the pattern at:

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/oxbow-brackets.jpg

A video of me attempting this can be found at:

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/movies_and_pictures.html

Look for the listing called oxbow-brackets.avi

You'll find other bracket practice there too together with other skating stuff.

Award
11-20-2006, 04:40 AM
How about a pigeon eagle, as done by several people here and at least one girl at our rink - the opposite of a spread eagle, where you glide on two feet with your toes pointing towards each other!

I wouldn't mind paying to see that one. I've never seen that done before by anybody.

Casey
11-20-2006, 04:53 AM
I would quite like to see a video of the Zubot, at least the half...to get an idea of how the body has to be positioned to get off the ground with a reverse pick like that...sounds fun. :D

Casey
11-20-2006, 06:33 AM
Two things come to mind:

1. Go into a sit spin, then grab the underside of of the free leg shin (between the knee and ankle) with the left hand, right arm back and to the side.

2. Do a right back outside hydroblade, but instead of only touching one hand to the ice with the other out to the outside, turn into the circle and face the ice with both hands on the ice inside of the circle.

This is me going in to #2 - you can get lower...
http://kc.sk8rland.com/pictures/Me/2006-10-09-casey-hydroblade.jpeg

Bill_S
11-20-2006, 06:45 AM
WOW! That's incredible Casey!

I've attached a picture of another talented skater who performed at our local competition last january.

I admire the ability to do those things, but I'm sure I'd never get back up afterwards.

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/skate-comp-06167.jpg

Isk8NYC
11-20-2006, 07:58 AM
These pictures make my knees hurt ...

NoVa Sk8r
11-20-2006, 09:21 AM
My latest move is doing forward lunge to back lunge directly into salchow. (Loops has dubbed it the Tras-chow, a play on my last name and the jump).
My ultimate goal would be to do this into 2sal.

But it pales in comparison to the zany, wacky feats listed above!

Casey
11-20-2006, 09:31 AM
I've attached a picture of another talented skater who performed at our local competition last january.
Ahh, that's a shoot-the-moon! It's fairly commonplace in the quad roller skating world but rare on inlines or ice as I guess it's a lot more difficult to control on a blade. There's a couple guys at the roller rink I visit occasionally who can hold that position and maneuver around the whole rink at least once. I'm still trying to get down all the way on that one...it's tough. :frus:

Team Arthritis
11-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Oh these are wicked! The only one I can do is the half Zubots - coach has me doing these bothways in my scratchy footwork.

On the front to back lunge - how do you check this??? I keep spinning out into a butt spin.
Lyle

black
11-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Team Arthritis: Try turning your upper body 90 degrees into the turn beforehand, arms extended forward and backwards. Make the turn, and as you do turn your upper body 180 in the opposite direction of the turn.

Kuddles: I can do what you call: "The funky duck" - do you hold the extended leg with your hand? A word to those thinking about it; practice off-ice first! You have to lean forwards alot more when doing on the ice though and if your a guy, make sure "everything is in the right place" ;)

Another thing to try on the shoot-the-duck/teapot theme is switching feet. Try first just bringing the extended leg in, glide on two skates, then extend the other leg. When you feel more confident try jumping from one skate to the other! :)

Mrs Redboots
11-20-2006, 12:51 PM
One skater at our rink does this incredible move where she does a very low back outside hydroblade from which she comes up into a back spiral on the same leg with nothing in between. It is totally amazing, and even more so given that this is no ten-year-old but someone old enough to compete at Oberstdorf (which we are trying to persuade her to do!).

Kuddles
11-20-2006, 02:33 PM

QUOTE]

Thanks for submitting this picture,

this move probably has a bunch of diferent names for it, it is known to me as the glide of death. A very difficult glide that i haven't been able to get yet.

[QUOTE=Mrs Redboots] How about a pigeon eagle?

Ah yes the pigeon eagle, is also a great move, thanx for submitting it :).
I know a couple of really flexible girls that can do this move almost perfectly.
One infact can hold it across the entire ice surface !!!

keep up the posts, Cause I live for the tricky moves :)

Kuddles
11-21-2006, 10:27 PM
Time for me to let out a few more appealing tricks that you people might like to give it a shot at.

1. Reversed cross foot spin.

Now the cross foot spin is mainly the spin used by males to counter the female layback, not many do the spin any more because of its difficulty to attain a good one.
How I created the reverse cross foot spin was purely by frustration of not wanting to work on something usefull after a long 6 hour day of skating, and just really wanting to waste a little time. hehehe 8-)
So I decided to work on cross foot spins, and I realized that no matter which way you are spinning if you hit the position correctly you could change your direction and spin the other way with the same foot position!, so I started to experiment with the foot changes, and discovered the Reversed cross foot spin.

How to do..
To achieve a reverse cross foot spin, one must spin Their own way and simply position in the reverse spinners footing of a cross foot... now I know this is hard to understand but I will try and put it into perspective...

Say your a counter clockwise spinner, ( which im not.. ) to achieve your cross foot spin you will spin on your left foot and cross the free leg behind.
Now to achieve a reverse crossfoot spin you will cross your free leg Infront.

If done correctly you ( the counter clockwise spinner ) will be spinning a clockwise spinners crossfoot in a counterclockwise revolution!!

hehehe, simple no?

2. The Hugo

This flying ariel move I nicknamed "A real deathdrop", was created by Hugh Yik, a canadian senior men competitor, he's also really the only person I've ever seen that has enough air to acutally do this element. Because to do it, you need a HELL of alot of air time and/or Height.

How to do...
To perform the Hugo spin, think of a deathdrop and a flying sit spin, now combine the two airal movements, now do that in the air before hitting the ice again. ( ya,.. friggen tough. )
To do it, go into a flying sit spin, jump and tuck as nice and as friggen high as you can possibly jump. Then once you feel yourself beginning to decend to the ice again, ( this is where in the flying sit you would bring your leg down to land), hurl your body into a deathdrop, so instead of bringing down a landing foot kick it backwards lean forward and twist for your life!, if you complete the deathdrop movement, and manage to land on your landing foot in a back sit spin, congratulations cause ya just did the Hugo.

( Ironically this is most likely the hardest possible flying spin, but with the new system, its value is probably equal to a single axle. :( hence we wont see Hugh Yik do it in competition, maybe if you ask him really nicely he'll perform one, cause I just end up on my head usually with this one. :P )

Keep them posts and pms coming folks :)

Casey
11-22-2006, 04:45 AM
Hey Kuddles,

Is the Zubot you refer to Darryl Zubot?

Team Arthritis
11-22-2006, 10:57 AM
OK for those of us less able but equally adventurous; I figured this one out yesterday:

Do a FO3 and tuck the free leg behind the knee and sit down on it as you can. Now try this with the upper body leaning forewards or head up with one arm up. As you get more comfortable you just ride this into a BI figures loop letting the free arm circle to add more show then duck your head and rise up into a BI spiral and/ or swing it into a scratch spin or twizzles.

THis got a "wow nice" from one of the high skaters and all I was trying to do was figure out what my coach had just put into someone else's program :lol:
Lyle

Kuddles
11-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Hey Kuddles,

Is the Zubot you refer to Darryl Zubot?

yes casey, it does refer to darryl. :)

Thats cool idea also Team Arthritus, im gonna give that one a try today at skating :)

Bill_S
11-22-2006, 05:44 PM
OK for those of us less able but equally adventurous; I figured this one out yesterday:

Do a FO3 and tuck the free leg behind the knee and sit down on it as you can. Now try this with the upper body leaning forewards or head up with one arm up. ...

Tried a version of that tonight entering my scratch spin. Instead of bringing around my free leg, I tried tucking it behind my skating knee and sitting on it in the spin entry. I managed a few revs a couple of times and once even managed to straighten up into a regular scratch spin afterwards. Seeing that I'm usually spin challenged, this has potential!

sk8rabbi_07
11-22-2006, 10:13 PM
:?: Is there anyway u can get a video of this... the take of just puzzles me

Casey
11-23-2006, 02:07 AM
:?: Is there anyway u can get a video of this... the take of just puzzles me
I hear you. I tried this today at the rink and couldn't figure it out...I mean I could sort of do a half Zubot but it was very forced and the picking leg felt like it was causing problems rather than helping me get off the ground. So then I thought to myself, "gee this doesn't make sense maybe he means with the other foot" so I tried that and it pulled my leg funny and hurt...so I didn't try anymore... :P Would really like to see video...

kayskate
11-24-2006, 06:24 PM
The Zubot sounds like a toe-assisted inside axel? Is that fair?
That shoot-the-moon things is really amazing. Have to get one of those.
Kay

starskate6.0
11-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Last time I landed this.. 1990 in Manila in the Phillipines... :)
Iv done it a few times since in a special harness i made for the ice and still do occationaly for fun but i dought Ill ever do it free fall again.. but its fun.. :lol:

Perry
11-27-2006, 08:18 PM
I used to do LFI spiral directly into a forward hyrdoblade (crossed leg) and then up into a LFO spiral without putting my foot down. But unfortunately, under COP, that's worth absolutely nothing in terms of levels.

vesperholly
11-28-2006, 03:33 AM
I've been working on Gold moves, and brackets are a challenge. Lately I've been trying brackets in almost every situation I can.

I need repetitions to learn something, and invent patterns that permit many reps in a short time.

There's an "oxbow" bracket pattern that exercises my RFO and LFO brackets. I've drawn the pattern at:

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/oxbow-brackets.jpg

A video of me attempting this can be found at:

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/movies_and_pictures.html

Look for the listing called oxbow-brackets.avi

You'll find other bracket practice there too together with other skating stuff.
That oxbow video is way cool. :bow: You have lovely smooth edges.

May I offer a bit of advice on your forward inside brackets? If you bring your free foot forward sooner, it will "block" your skating foot and keep you from dropping over to an outside edge before the turn.

Bill_S
11-28-2006, 06:41 AM
May I offer a bit of advice on your forward inside brackets? If you bring your free foot forward sooner, it will "block" your skating foot and keep you from dropping over to an outside edge before the turn.

Thanks for the suggestion! You must have done figures to see such subtle differences.

Question... should the free foot tuck back in place immediately after the turn? And does this apply to troublesome (for me) forward outside edge brackets?

My coach doesn't offer much comment about how to do the brackets themselves, but is more concerned about the pattern and quality of edge.

vesperholly
11-29-2006, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the suggestion! You must have done figures to see such subtle differences.

Question... should the free foot tuck back in place immediately after the turn? And does this apply to troublesome (for me) forward outside edge brackets?

My coach doesn't offer much comment about how to do the brackets themselves, but is more concerned about the pattern and quality of edge.
Hi Bill, yes I did do figures, didn't get very far, and it was many moons ago. :) I am really enjoying your videos - moves are my favorite part of skating by far.

Yes, on the FI turn, the free foot should "snap" back to trailing the skating foot, like a rudder. On the outside, I perform it with a quick swing in front, then bring the free foot toe to skating foot heel, turn and keep free foot in front.

Here's a video of me doing RFO/LBI brackets from the Intermediate moves test (at a competition). This was several months before I actually passed the test in 2001. The RFO edges are a little flat, though.
Video (http://users.adelphia.net/~jdelmar/video/RFOLBIbrackets.avi) (10.5MB)

And no offense to your coach (who has indeed insured that your quality of edge is very good) but a pattern is made by the things you do with your body to control the skate. Correct patterns are only half the story.

sceptique
11-29-2006, 03:14 AM
I was watching gymnastics once and noticed a very interesting element that could make a nice very advanced spin: this is when a lady bends forward and grabs her ankle touching it with her forehead while her free leg is pointing straight up and she rotates on the ball of her foot.

Bill_S
11-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Hi Bill, yes I did do figures,
Here's a video of me doing RFO/LBI brackets from the Intermediate moves test (at a competition).
Video (http://users.adelphia.net/~jdelmar/video/RFOLBIbrackets.avi) (10.5MB).

That's really nice and controlled! I've got a ways to go to be able to do them that well.

Team Arthritis
11-29-2006, 11:41 AM
I was watching gymnastics once and noticed a very interesting element that could make a nice very advanced spin: this is when a lady bends forward and grabs her ankle touching it with her forehead while her free leg is pointing straight up and she rotates on the ball of her foot.
You know I thought of that too. Gliding down the ice, I think its called a Charlotte. Lots of people spin with free leg held straight up, I wonder if this is possible to get into - still its very similar to the down position in an illusion.
Lyle

Casey
01-16-2007, 03:03 AM

I admire the ability to do those things, but I'm sure I'd never get back up afterwards.

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/skate-comp-06167.jpg
Bill, do you happen to know this skater personally? I'd love some insights on how the heck he gets all the way down like that on the inside hydroblade. I've been taking stabs at it recently (http://kc.sk8rland.com/video/2007-01-11/casey-forward_inside_hydroblade-attempt.mpeg), but not getting very far... :(