View Full Version : New To Skating

IceDancer_xo
11-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Hi everyone! I used to skate when i was younger but then for some reason i stopped! (Why? I don't know...) But anyway i am getting back into skating this year and i was just wondering if anyone had some good advice or tips. Thanks! ;)

techskater
11-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Don't expect to do everything you used to be able to immediately. Your mind remembers (sort of) what it is supposed to make your body do, but it doesn't feel the same anymore. Don't be too frustrated with it, it DOES come back albeit in odd orders. Good luck!!

itfigures
11-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Techskater is so right. I used to skate at a very young age and then at the age of seven stopped because of a big skating accident. Anyway don't get discuraged when you see all of the young skaters doing doubles or big jumps. Just ignore them. Trust me you'll need to! Anyway just remmber have fun! Good luck!:P 8-)

Rusty Blades
11-19-2006, 10:59 PM
WELCOME BACK!

I skated from age 14 to 19 and wasn't on the ice again until age 56 - a whole generation has been born, grown up, and had children in the time I was off the ice - LOL!!!

Tech is right. Depending on your age and how long you were off, it could take quite awhile to regain your skills. For me, it was ALL gone and I started all over. In my 10 months of skating 3 or 4 times a week, I think I have re-learned what took 10 days to learn at age 14. About the only things I have retained are: #1 - the "eye" for a well done element, and #2 - recognizing the feeling when I finally DO hit something right.

I think that the older one gets, the more patience you need to have with yourself and more determination to keep going when you don't seem to make progress.

Oh yea, and you need a sense of humour! It is the only thing that keeps you smiling when you are out skated by 7 year olds 8-)

newbieskater
11-21-2006, 11:51 PM
hello all!

i have been skating for 3 1/2 months now. am in my early twenties and wasnt a skater when i was kid.
i can do forward /backward crossovers, forward 3turns inside/outside, waltz jump. starting to land 1/2 flips and single salchows. NOT perfectly obviously but continuing to get more and more comfortable. i skate often and am curious to see if my progress so far is average?

Morgail
11-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Welcome back:) I did the same - skated until I was 17, and just came back earlier this year (I'm 27 now). What everyone else has said is right - don't expect to be able to do everything you used to right away. If you can, try to start taking lessons again as soon as possible. Then you can get your basics "fixed" or re-learn them if you need to. It's so easy to create bad habits after not being on the ice for so long. I think that I'm finally back to where I was quality-wise when I quit (but minus a couple jumps). But it takes everyone a different amount of time to regain the skills they had. And just remember to have fun:)

hello all!
i have been skating for 3 1/2 months now. am in my early twenties and wasnt a skater when i was kid.
i can do forward /backward crossovers, forward 3turns inside/outside, waltz jump. starting to land 1/2 flips and single salchows. NOT perfectly obviously but continuing to get more and more comfortable. i skate often and am curious to see if my progress so far is average?

I won't even tell you how long it took me to go from forward crossovers to a salchow - and I'm talking about when I was a kid. You would laugh :lol: So, to me, 3 1/2 months is incredible for you to be doing all that you are. Everyone has their own pace, and so long as you feel that you are making progress, then I think you're doing well:)