View Full Version : Boots with Blades or separate

iceskater26
11-18-2006, 11:20 AM
I am buying new skates next week and am wondering if I should buy boots and blades separately or together. I also need suggestions on what skates to buy. I am currently in Canskate level 4. Thanks for any advice

DallasSkater
11-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Hi iceskater: Typically the boots made for more advanced skaters do not come with the blade that you can pick individually the type wanted. IMHO, get skates that are designed for a level several ahead of yours but not too far. The more the boot is built to do, the more stiff the boot is making bending and maneuvering more difficult for a lower level skater. I feared that my boots were going to be so far ahead of me that they would be too stiff but that was not the case at all.

I went ahead and got boots and blades that were separate. I chose the boot based on what I knew was possible for me to learn in two-three years as I projected that I would likely want new boots about then. Try on several brands of boots and have your feet fitted by whoever the skaters at your rink recommends as popular. If you are going to do freestyle then I like the MK pro blade. I wish I would have just started with that blade in the first place as my skills out grew the more beginner blade too fast. Luckily, I chose a great boot for me as I now think my boots are more capable than I will ever be but not too stiff for me!

It costs more to get the less expensive boots and blades but learn that you will have to replace too quickly and end up buying more expensive ones anyway! Also the issue of breaking in and getting use to a new skate after learning on others!

Good luck to you! Very exciting to get new skates!

luna_skater
11-18-2006, 05:40 PM
If you have a coach, definitely ask his/her advice. Also, is there a good skate shop near you? In addition to your level, foot shape, weight, height, etc., play a role in determining what boot/blade is best for you.

Don't rule out getting skates second-hand, either. This will save you some money if you end up progressing faster than you thought, and end up needing a more advanced boot/blade again in the future.

iceskater26
11-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Thanks for all of the adive. I take group lessons, so probably gonna ask my group coach on what skates I should be trying on. I am sort of interested in trying out the riedell boots, but what blades do they come with?

sk8rabbi_07
11-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Riedell boots are what I wear, Usually they like to use John Wilson blades I'm in the parabolic pattern 99, but if ur only on badge 4 I ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT go anything higher then a cornation ace blade. the cornation ace might be a bit heavy for u and a bit harder to get used to the pick on... i found out the hard way :roll:

hope it helps!

iceskater26
11-18-2006, 10:56 PM
Riedell boots are what I wear, Usually they like to use John Wilson blades I'm in the parabolic pattern 99, but if ur only on badge 4 I ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT go anything higher then a cornation ace blade. the cornation ace might be a bit heavy for u and a bit harder to get used to the pick on... i found out the hard way :roll:

hope it helps!

thanks for the help. but do you know what blades riedell blue ribbon 121 skates go with?

Mrs Redboots
11-19-2006, 09:06 AM
thanks for the help. but do you know what blades riedell blue ribbon 121 skates go with?Probably Coronation Ace; they are the best all-round blade at your level. But ask your coach, who will probably have his or her own ideas.

Isk8NYC
11-19-2006, 09:52 AM
thanks for the help. but do you know what blades riedell blue ribbon 121 skates go with?Blue Ribbons (http://www.riedellskates.com/ice/121.html) are entry-level beginner skates that come with pre-attached "Saphire" blades. They're recommended for Canskate levels 1-5.

If your feet are still growing, this is an okay choice. Otherwise, I'd consider one of the Medallion skates, so you can use the same skates as you get into the higher level test groups.

You could also consider the Jackson Freestyle, which might be less expensive since it's actually made in Canada. It comes with a Mark IV blade attached.

A boot-and-blade set is fine for your level.