View Full Version : Preparing for first ever program

DallasSkater
11-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Feeling a bit anxious as I must select music for my first ever competition that will be held in April. I have tossed around many ideas but really want something cool but level appropriate. I will skate in the pre bronze level. I have reviewed the required elements and it appears to only allow 1/2 jumps. (disappointed about this as I like the salchow the best now!).

Would love to hear your input about music selection for this level and any espeically any suggestions for the preparing a program. My coach said she will bring me a bunch of CDs she has that are skating appropriate. However, I just do not feel confident that she will be too much help in giving direction as she is not that into adult competitions. I don't think she grasps what a big deal this is to me. It feels like she just wants to throw something together. I am pre judging this because we have only had one conversation about it so far. I have my lesson today and will re evaluate her level of commitment to assisting me.

My partner is actually degreed in music therapy but the suggestions from that perspective do seem a bit grandiose for my level. I think using a therapy foundation and interpretation would maybe help the over all performance though.

I am also curious if it is the coach that actually designs the program or if you give input at this level.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thank you in advance! (You guys do know you are my secondary coaches...don't cha?)

Bill_S
11-17-2006, 09:28 AM
I started a program last year, but never went anywhere with it. This year, I'm trying again with different music.

In the first program, I chose music that got my blood stirring - a spicy Spanish number. However I quickly discovered that the fast tempo of the music provided a bigger challenge than I expected. I never used this program. My advice is to be conservative with your music choice so you don't have to rush around trying to keep up with it.

This year I gave into another adult skater's desire to get me onto competitive ice and agreed to put together a program. She chose the music and initially planned the program. Wisely she's given me veto power over footwork elements that she initially suggested because a) there are other elements I can do easier and that I like better, and b) she's recently been in the same boat with her own coach being forced into elements that she dislikes.

My advice is to work with your coach and make sure she works with you on the program. You know what you feel comfortable doing better than she does. Through discussion and compromise you can both choose elements that are doable and enjoyable.

flo
11-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Pick out something you love - it will be a better performance, and you will be hearing it again and again and again.

One of the most common problems in early programs is that skaters pick out music that is beyond what they can skate to, or does not feature or present their best style, or distract from their skating.

Think about your style, lyrical? contemporary? Athletic, fun or graceful?
In general be careful of anythting too fast or commanding. Many people think picking a slow lyrical piece is easier. It actually brings more attention to the form of the skater, so be sure you can point those toes, and extend! It's not a great choice for skaters without good positions.

In working with a coach, take a look at the pieces he/she picks out for their students. Does it fit the student's strengths or the coaches? I or my pairs partner have always picked out my/our music, but I have a background in music. I choreographed a piece for one skater and I absolutely hated the music! But he loved it and it fit his style and he really performed it well.

Be aware that your music needs a begining, middle and end. This can be difficult with the shorter times, as with bronze and interp. A good place to look is sound tracks and overtures.
Enjoy - I love picking out my music.

Rusty Blades
11-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Wow Dallas, what PERFECT timing! I am in exactly the same spot (with the same time line)!

I have been through 4 different "phases" so far. I find music I like, start putting together a program and then realize, like Bill, that it is beyond my abilities or just "isn't me", and I scrap it. Then I do the same thing again with a different piece of music. I THINK I finally have a piece that will suit me, make a nice program, and isn't beyond me.

I am trying to get together with my coach to talk about a program but it just isn't happening. She has very strong ideas of her own and I think she'd like to just do the whole thing for me but that isn't me either - if I don't "own it", I wont be able to put myself into it 100%.

I have downloaded a zillion pieces of music, gone through my collection of records and tapes, and picked out the dozen most promissing pieces and put them on a CD. In the wee hours of this morning, I put the CD on and all the lights off, laid back in the recliner, and listened to the CD over and over again. One piece of music started to choreograph itself in my head and it "fit" - it fit with my skill level, my style of skating, and my personality. I will now work with this piece some more and see if it continues to "fit" as I work it up.

(I emailed the music, costume ideas, and "flavour" of the routine to my coach - no comment yet! I guess I will find out in lesson tomorrow what she thinks of it.)

phoenix
11-17-2006, 10:08 AM
My best advice for you is, once you've picked out some music, take it to the rink & put it on & just skate around a bit with it--often music that sounds reasonably slow when you're sitting listening to it, becomes unreasonably fast when you're actually moving to it out on the ice!

Also pick something you can stand to hear jillions of times (I play it over & over in the car while I drive as a litmus test).

All the other suggestions so far a great too.

flying~camel
11-17-2006, 10:51 AM
often music that sounds reasonably slow when you're sitting listening to it, becomes unreasonably fast when you're actually moving to it out on the ice!

ITA! I'm cutting the music for my new Bronze freestyle program (it's 1st time I've ever cut music!) and my 1st cut sounded MUCH faster on the rink's sound system than it did on my computer @ home.

So now I'm going to recut that part of the music so I don't have to kill myself to keep up with it! :lol:

Team Arthritis
11-17-2006, 10:55 AM
WOW exciting news! First competition is very scary but don't worry they are all just as scarry from here on 8O .

As opposed to the wonderful advice above, may I put in a vote for NOT being conservative. Go with whatever music makes you feel like skating just a bit better than you can actually skate. This program isn't for the judges, its not for advancing you to sectionals, its to help you skate better so skate to the music you'd like to be able to skate to!

You already have that sneaking suspicion you're going to come in last right? OK, we all do, so if I'm going to come in last I just want to have some fun doing it. Dress up and pretend.:lol:
Lyle

Skate@Delaware
11-17-2006, 11:18 AM
WOW exciting news! First competition is very scary but don't worry they are all just as scarry from here on 8O .

As opposed to the wonderful advice above, may I put in a vote for NOT being conservative. Go with whatever music makes you feel like skating just a bit better than you can actually skate. This program isn't for the judges, its not for advancing you to sectionals, its to help you skate better so skate to the music you'd like to be able to skate to!

You already have that sneaking suspicion you're going to come in last right? OK, we all do, so if I'm going to come in last I just want to have some fun doing it. Dress up and pretend.:lol:
Lyle
I'll second this!!! For what it's worth, I play each competition as though it's my "show spotlight" piece (since I don't get them in the shows). It's my time to shine-all by myself on the ice!

Ellyn
11-17-2006, 11:25 AM
I will skate in the pre bronze level. I have reviewed the required elements and it appears to only allow 1/2 jumps. (disappointed about this as I like the salchow the best now!).

What competition is this for? Pre-bronze should allow single jumps including toe loop, salchow, loop, and flip as well as half jumps.

phoenix
11-17-2006, 11:30 AM
WOW exciting news! First competition is very scary but don't worry they are all just as scary from here on 8O .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SpaMama
11-17-2006, 12:53 PM
You are going to do great! But of course you know that I am a big chicken, and I think you are so brave! DD's and I will be cheering you on!

SpaMama

doubletoe
11-17-2006, 01:01 PM
What competition is this for? Pre-bronze should allow single jumps including toe loop, salchow, loop, and flip as well as half jumps.

That's right. In Pre-bronze, there is no lutz or axel allowed, but you are allowed to do all of the other single jumps, even in combination. So do your salchow and maybe even a salchow-toeloop! :)

What kind of music would you like to skate to? For my very first program, I skated to the main theme from Dr. Zhivago and it was perfect because I managed to find a cut of it on the soundtrack that was already the right length for a Pre-Bronze/Bronze program. I ended up doing a good job with that program because I loved the music so much. I think it is very important to love your music, whatever that may be.

Debbie S
11-17-2006, 01:03 PM
My coach said she will bring me a bunch of CDs she has that are skating appropriate. However, I just do not feel confident that she will be too much help in giving direction as she is not that into adult competitions. I don't think she grasps what a big deal this is to me. It feels like she just wants to throw something together. I am pre judging this because we have only had one conversation about it so far. I have my lesson today and will re evaluate her level of commitment to assisting me.
Why do you think this? After all, you've only talked about it once. Listen to your coach's CDs with an open mind. Chances are, she's choreographed (and seen) lots of competition programs so she will likely have a lot of insight into what works best for your skating level and for a comp. As to whether she is "into" adult comps, that's not really the point - there is not much difference between adult and kid comps as far as the process of music selection and choreography goes - music should be appropriate for your age and skating ability and the program should be something that you enjoy skating to and shows off your skills. Obviously, working with a young beginner skater and an adult are different...and it sounds like your coach is seeking your feedback and input in an apprpriate manner.

What you should probably be asking is if your coach has experience in putting programs together and the degree to which she is willing to listen to your suggestions and the type of music she is recommending. If she recommends a "kiddie" piece (like Disney music or some other kid-oriented music), then perhaps it's time to seek another opinion....but wait and see what happens and be optimistic about it. If your coach doesn't do a lot of choreo, then perhaps you should suggest (if your coach doesn't on her own) that another coach work with you on the program. Your coach can work with you on the execution of the elements and you can have supplemental lessons with the other coach on the choreo and the performance/presentation.

Isk8NYC
11-17-2006, 01:47 PM
My coach said she will bring me a bunch of CDs she has that are skating appropriate. It's possible that these CDs have music already cut to certain lengths. Bring your choices with you as well and pick the music together. If you choose something that s/he doesn't have already cut, perhaps your partner can bring it down to the proper length. (BTW, have him/her check the timing with a stopwatch.)

As for WHO does the choreography, it can be a joint effort if you have the confidence and if your skating styles are in synch. I have a prelim student that wants to do knee slides every five seconds, so I have to reign him in a bit, but frankly he's fun and flexible about adjusting the program to fit the music and work around his skating skills.

One observation: if your "style" is strong, a coach that does "delicate" choreography may not be the best mix. It will challenge you to try and do all the little toe steps and light little skips, but it can also be frustrating when you're not a tiny little kid who's in her fifth year of ballet. Just a word to the wise.

Team Arthritis
11-17-2006, 02:00 PM
FWIW my first program was to La Grange by ZZtop, current is PVC-4 from blueman group:D Lots of silly stuff in between8-)
Lyle

DallasSkater
11-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Bill: Thanks for the advice! I think you are right about finding a tempo I can actually do elements and keep time! eeek!

Flo: Great idea to first pick a style and then think about music!

Rusty: Awesome that you are already able to choreograph! I fear this aspect as I have no experience with this but also look forward to the challenge. I love that you will be doing your first one the same time I am! We are in it together!

Phoenix: Oh that makes total sense! I will have all week and think I will try some of the music out at the rink to see if it feels as good as it sounds!

Flyingcamel: Good luck with the music re cut. Sounds hard!

Lyle: I had to LOL at your post! The part where you said " You already have that sneaking suspicion you're going to come in last right?" ...my immediate thought was ...Yes, but a secret hope that I will land first! giggle. I have a competitive streak left from childhood! You should have seen me in dodge ball! I love your attitude. Dress up and pretend is such great advice. Would love to see you perform Blue man! Too funny!

Skate@Delaware: Wonderful perspective. I hope I will feel brave when the day comes to take that spotlight.

Ellyn: It is for the local skate club yearly competition called Skate Dallas. The information about it is not yet out but the one they are hosting in January (that I will not skate in) had pre bronze elements listed and only allowed 1/2 jumps. Did email them asking if Skate Dallas event for pre bronze might offer full jumps. I also found it odd that they limited to 1/2 jumps.

SpaMama: I know your DD will be in it too....but for my 1 minute and forty seconds....I want you as my mom! giggle....

Doubletoe: I have really been thinking hard about the music I love best. I love so many different styles it is hard to pick! I think I will take heed to how many times I will have to hear it to make sure I really, really love it!

Debbie: Thanks for your words. You would just have to know my coach! giggle. I did meet with her today and I think it is going to be just fine.

Isk8NYC: What a hoot that your student wants to do a ton of knee slides! I for one hope a knee slide does not sneak into my program at all! giggle. After meeting with her today, she made it clear that we will design the program together. It helped me to feel better as I know she has lots of experience and I can have input!

What great advice you guys had! I am so grateful that you are willing to share your thoughts with me. It makes me feel supported. Thank you!

I have the CD's from my coach. She did well to listen to how seriously I was taking the process. Started listening on my drive home from the rink. So far I have two tracks from Robinhood that I really like. (Of course worried about what kind of costume this selection would put me in!) I have had some thoughts about doing a program to honor my love of the ocean. I do not wear my title of "cruise queen" lightly! Maybe Titanic? giggle.

Heading back to the rink for my fs and power stroking classes. Each time in the car is another opportunity to listen for that "perfect" selection.

SpaMama
11-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Hey Dallas, I sent you an email about the January comp.......

Of course Ill be your "mom" at Skate Dallas - what kind of stuffed animal do you want me to throw on the ice???

Spa Mama

looplover
11-17-2006, 05:34 PM
In the first program, I chose music that got my blood stirring - a spicy Spanish number. However I quickly discovered that the fast tempo of the music provided a bigger challenge than I expected.

I'll echo this! I just did my first competition last weekend and skated to an edit of Classical Gas. I absolutely LOVE this music but it's very fast. I skate fast, but the song is so fast that I was consumed with keeping up and never was able to chill out and set up the jumps like I should have. We are dumping it and doing a new program.

Good luck!!! It was fun but scary. Good to get the first one over.

Rusty Blades
11-17-2006, 07:08 PM
We are in it together!

Yup, right up to our respective necks! :roll:

Skate@Delaware
11-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Debbie S. brought up a good point. I am my coach's first adult student to compete. Although she wasn't that familiar with adult competitions, she is competent at choreography and artistry for a skater's level and for highlighting a skater's talents. That is the important thing.

aussieskater
11-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Started listening on my drive home from the rink. So far I have two tracks from Robinhood that I really like. (Of course worried about what kind of costume this selection would put me in!)

Green tights, green boot covers, and a feather in your hat, of course! Either that or the whole Maid Marian thing...8O :lol:

Seriously, enjoy selecting your music and program. Even though you know you're not heading to the Olympics, you do take your skating seriously, so this your time to shine. Have fun! (And enjoy the green tights!)

(From a fraidy cat non-performer... :roll: )

DallasSkater
11-17-2006, 09:32 PM
SpaMama: Here's the deal with having an "older child".... You may have noticed that as your daughters grow, their interests and tastes seem to get more and more expensive! I am of the age of being much more practical with my idea of positive reinforcements. Therefore, mom, I require gift certificates to the Malls starting at the 100 dollar range thrown to me!!! in place of stuff animals to truly feel loved, nurtured and supported. Otherwise, I will develop abandonment issues! I will accuse you of loving your other daughters better! Giggle!

Looplover: Thanks....on my drives so far I am noticing that I am more drawn to the powerful music. I will definitely keep that in mind.

Rusty: LOL

Skate@Delaware: Glad you have that kind of coach. Mine is a bit burned out so I think that is part of the problem. She really wants to teach the very elite kids as she did in her former job. She is newer to our State and I think is disappointed.

Aussie: That was my exact fear! LOL...where does one get green tights?! I considered a track from Free Willy to go with my desire to get an ocean theme but then pictured me in a killer whale skate dress! lol (SpaMama is going to comment on the fact that my practice wear is mostly black with white accents! eeek....)

SpaMama
11-17-2006, 10:28 PM
At the Bunny Hop a few weeks ago we blew up little beach balls, wrote their names on them, and threw them on the ice. How bout if I just try and bean you with one on your head as you are taking your bow!!!!???? Will that show the love???? :lol: :lol:

You know my every last dime is going towards the first two dd's, but I would love to give you some gift certificates for some more colored fleece!!!!

Spa Mama

DallasSkater
11-17-2006, 10:31 PM
SpaMama: That is a riot! giggle.

DallasSkater
11-17-2006, 10:35 PM
SpaMama: OMG...and I bought blue just for you!

jazzpants
11-18-2006, 12:45 AM
DallasSkater/SpaMama: You two are just RIOTS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DallasSkater: I was also my primary coach's first student to compete and test! (Actually I was the first student he put out to test... EVER!!! And of course, I had to find that out AT the test session!!! 8O :lol: ) However, he was still a competitive skater at the time and he knows a LOT of skating adults and what they go thru!

I'm still with him after 6 years, so that should tell 'ya something. The way I see it is... if your coach is willing, she's gonna try her best to give you the best first competition you ever have. You've picked this coach for a reason! Trust in her and see what happens. ;)

SpaMama: You should go for it and put together a program too! Don't miss out the fun! I was a big chicken once too! (Still am... just a "more experienced" one now! http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/52.gif :P :lol:) I survived! And finally got to where I am now. Go for the experience!!! You'll be happy you did too!. ;)

SpaMama
11-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Jazz - don't be fooled, I havent even put on skates yet, at least not in 20 plus years!!!! Dallas's first goal is to get me out on a public session with the blue plastic booties!

Spa Mama

jazzpants
11-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Jazz - don't be fooled, I havent even put on skates yet, at least not in 20 plus years!!!! Dallas's first goal is to get me out on a public session with the blue plastic booties!

Spa MamaOOOOH!!!! All the more reason to get out there on a public session in those blue plastic booties (which we also have at my rink too BTW, only its "powdered blue." and well, they look more like ski boots to me...) You need to get out there and learn to skate again so you can prepare a program! LOL!!! :lol:

C'mon, SpaMama!!! The ("frozen") water is fine!!! :P

slusher
11-18-2006, 02:48 PM
My freeskate coach who I still have did my first program. It was a march of some sort and seemed endlessly long. I wore a red dress and was terrified. My mind went blank and it was just because I'd practiced the thing over and over that my body knew what to do because the brain was gone.

I finished and people applauded and I was addicted.

Since then, I mostly choreograph my own programs, cut and edit my own music and make my own dresses. I'll show the rough version to my coach who then oversees the choreography to make sure I've got the right number of jumps and spins, they go in places that compliment me (the flip is hidden in the far corner) and that I've got proper ice coverage. I work with someone else on presentation, the arms, polishing, but the whole "program" is my conception.

And then when I hit competition, my brain deserts me and I make up a lot of it :lol: I haven't done my footwork section the same twice, and it's been carefully choreo'd and even written down for me.
This is my coach at the rinkside: :frus: :frus: :frus:

All I can say is find music that you like, and you'll hear it a lot so consider that. Wear something that makes you feel like a skater. In the beginning, with the shorter programs it's really hard to do the entire package, to match the dress to music and develop a theme so maybe just go with what you like. If you're a faster skater, wear a fluffier skirt to emphasize the ice movement. If not.... well, there's got to be something to emphasize :)

Morgail
11-18-2006, 02:59 PM
I have nothing new to add - just want to echo what everyone else says about finding a piece that you love and want to hear over & over. :) And finding something that makes you want to skate to the best of your ability. My favorite program I ever did was to a piece from the Last of the Mohicans soundtrack. I LOVED that music and everytime I practiced that program, the music made me want to put everything I had into skating it well. When I have to do a program for Bronze, I'll probably use that same music (pending coach approval of course:lol: ).

Rusty Blades
11-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Well my coach and I finally agree on music - and it didn't even come to blows! :roll: It's a bit corny (so am I), it's slow (so am I), it has a bit of a swing to it (so do I, when I loose my balance - LOL!), so I think it will work. The best thing, being a bit corny means I don't have to "play it straight" and takes some of the pressure off. (I'm only doing Pre-Introductory Interpretive so I can get away with corny :mrgreen: )

mikawendy
11-18-2006, 04:50 PM

Lyle, ITA--when my coach and I were picking music, I proposed a few options. A few were ruled out as way too fast for me (and my coach used one of them for a program for an intermediate lady who skates REALLY fast, so it was too fast). However, when my coach played the rough cut from a music soundtrack I had suggested, the first part was slow but the two other parts were faster than I thought I'd be able to skate. (And other people had previously told me those tracks would be too fast for me.) I was prebronze and we were putting together a program that I could use in my Bronze FS test and for Bronze-level competition before and after that. While I still could work to increase speed, I am skating faster than when I started working on the program--so I'm glad we picked music that my skating could grow into.

DallasSkater
11-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Jazz: Thanks. I think I would like your coach. He just seems cool. Glad you gave Spamama some encouragement too. I think she is close to trying it! (Wonder what color she will wear! If she even thinks about black I will not let her live it down!)

Slusher: Awesome that you choreograph at this point! I think my coach is going to really have to do a ton of it for me but I will do my best to assist. I just feel so darn inexperienced. Everything feels like a big deal and I am not even PMSing!

Morgail: I hope I find a perfect piece that makes me feel that way! I adore that your experience was to feel so encouraged to do your best.

Rusty: Congrats on finding perfect music for you! Sounds like you went through quite a bit of research! Good for you! Slightly corny is great!

Milawendy: Interesting about the concept of finding music to grow into. Makes sense!

I have now listened to all the CD's provided by my coach and have even downloaded a few others that I will also consider. So far I have 5 pieces narrowed down. Not too bad! I thought I would listen to some from more recent movies today. I like the older ones better it seems. Makes me wonder how many times it has been "done" though. Since I am newer to skating and completely new to competing I fear boring the judges who have probably heard a lot!

Learned that the competition in April will allow full rotation jumps! Only the one in January was a mix between ISI and USFSA which was why it limited what could be included. Going to have to check to see if I will still be qualified to participate in it as they may require me to already have the pre bronze status. My coach wants me to take the pre bronze in January but I think that is too soon since I have not learned the waltz eight yet. I did see the pattern on paper and it does not look too bad. I think I can do the other things fairly well. Trying to figure out when the next possibility to test is after that as I might feel more comfortable with a bit more time.

Raye
11-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Well my coach and I finally agree on music - and it didn't even come to blows! :roll: It's a bit corny (so am I), it's slow (so am I), it has a bit of a swing to it (so do I, when I loose my balance - LOL!), so I think it will work. The best thing, being a bit corny means I don't have to "play it straight" and takes some of the pressure off. (I'm only doing Pre-Introductory Interpretive so I can get away with corny :mrgreen: )
Go Dianne!!!:bow: Can't wait to see the program :halo:

Debbie S
11-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Since I am newer to skating and completely new to competing I fear boring the judges who have probably heard a lot!

Learned that the competition in April will allow full rotation jumps! Only the one in January was a mix between ISI and USFSA which was why it limited what could be included. Going to have to check to see if I will still be qualified to participate in it as they may require me to already have the pre bronze status. Don't worry about how often your music has been skated to before - just pick something you would enjoy skating to. Pretty much any piece of music you pick will be something the judges have heard multiple times - that's just the nature of judging. The most important thing is how well you skate to it.

At any non-qualifying comp, you are allowed to "skate up" a level. The only qualifying comps for adults are AN and the Championship events at Sectionals. For a local club comp such as this one, you may skate at Pre-Bronze if you are Pre-Bronze or No-Test. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't allow it. However, if no one else signs up for Pre-Bronze, you are probably out of luck, b/c you won't be able to compete in Bronze, unless the club makes an exception (and I've seen this happen).

DallasSkater
11-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Good to know Debbie, thanks!

Sk8pdx
11-20-2006, 12:24 AM
Oooooh Dallas! so nice to hear that you are going to be performing soon!! I am very excited for you! Performing in front of an audience and performing in front of judges changed the way I thought about skating. The whole process became more deliberate than just an average public session practice to achieve some single element me and my coach were working on last week that is for sure! Enjoy your new end exciting journey into the realm of art, technique and performing! -- it is the next level of deeper skating addiction. I will be interested in knowing how you evaluate how you cope with pre- competition jitters, numb toes, the feeling of having your stomach lodged in between your tonsils (assuming you still have them).

Have fun!8-)