View Full Version : coaching confusion

new2skate
11-17-2006, 08:38 AM
My 6yr old daughter is new to this sport,she has progressed very rapidly and is now working on salchows and camel spins. She started taking private lessons 4 months ago with 2 wonderful coaches, we'll call coach A and coach B. She has 2 lessons per week, one from each coach. Coach A has been absent for the past 6 weeks due to unforseen circumstances, she had arranged for Coach c to fill in for her. It was on our understanding that coach C only fill in for a few lessons. My daughter doesn't like coach C but always puts on a brave face and does well in each lesson. And up until recently she has has Coach B to give her some stability once a week, but Coach B has been away for the past 2 weeks due to an injury and has Coach C filling in for her. So what started as a fill in coach now seems to have turned into a full time coach. This isn't what we had signed up for when taking private lessons. Personally I wouldn't have chose Coach c for my daughter as it's not a good personality match. My daughter no longer wants to go skating if she knows she has coach C that day. With out hurting anyone's feelings how do I correct this. We've only been in this sport for 4 months and don't really know the protocol. Is this something that goes on regularly, that I should just accept? Or do I stick with my instinct and want to change it? If so how? Is it ok to tell coach A and B that if they are not available I'd prefere that my daughter not have a lesson that day? I don't get to speak with either coaches very much due to them being in lessons, they don't let me know if they will be late or away and therefore we don't know who will be giving my daughter a lesson until she is actually in a lesson. Needless to say I have no idea who is charging me what. We usually keep in contact with coach A and B via e mail, but I have never spoken to coach C and don't even have her e mail. What would you do if you were a parent, or a coach in this situation.

Isk8NYC
11-17-2006, 08:58 AM
What were the unforeseen circumstances? Could it be that the original coaches don't want to have your daughter as a student because they have better prospects, or lessons have been canceled?

Side Note:
I coach a young girl who - no lie - fails to attend every other scheduled lesson. I always get a last minute call or a no-show from her Mom. I'm giving her time slot away to another student who comes every week, on time and ready to skate. (Except one time where she had the chicken pox; even then, her mother left me three messages two days in advance!)

Talk to Coach C and explain that, while you appreciate the effort, it's just not working out. You don't have to go into the personality fit issue. Keep it light and friendly - no need to burn bridges.

Then, talk to Coaches A and B. You would like her to take lessons with Coach A or B, not C. If neither one is available for your daughter, you'll need to thank them for their time and explain that you'd like more stability. Therefore, you'll need to evaluate a different coach. If they ask, Coach C "just wasn't a good fit." Don't elaborate. Ask who they would recommend for your daughter, but realize they'll only recommend coaches on their "team."

What other coach options do you have available? Ask the skating director or other parents for some recommendations. Don't rule out any of the coaches - I know some instructors who teach privates at other rinks, but no one thinks of them as "coaches" because they teach group lessons at one of our rinks.

You don't have telephone numbers for these coaches? Suprising, since they'd probably want to be notified if you're not going to make a lesson. I personally would not want to do this via email, it's a bit impersonal. You need to speak to each of them on the phone or in person. Ask them, via email, to call you or send you their phone numbers. You could also leave a message with the rink office, asking for a return phone call.

new2skate
11-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Coach A has been away from the rink for the past 6 weeks with an illness, it's not like she is there and just not teaching my daughter. We keep hoping she'll be back soon.
I originally thought that maybe they no longer wanted my daughter as a student, so I sent coach A and B an email asking how she was doing and if things were working out well or not. I got a reply back from both coaches saying how they loved working with my daughter, she responds well and they are very happy with her progress. My daughter has only missed one lesson in which I gave notice a day prior. She is never late. And we always pay on time.
I think I will e mail Coach A and B and ask for a meeting, that way things can be cleared up hopefully.

flippet
11-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Since it seems that both Coach A and B enjoy teaching your daughter, I would simply ask one or both of them if there's someone else that they'd recommend in the interim, instead of Coach C, since that isn't a good fit. I trust that both A and B will teach your daughter again when they return.

Also, see if they have a time frame when they plan to come back. For all you know, both of them will be back next week, and all the sturm und drang is for nothing. Perhaps if the time frame is short, you can simply skip a lesson or two--everyone can use a short break now and then. But if it will be a while, I would search for a different coach to bridge the gap. You don't want your daughter losing skills if it will be a long time.

And wow--six weeks! I hope Coach A is all right....that's a pretty long illness.

FSWer
01-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Ok,are these Learn to Skate lessons in a Learn to Skate Program? Or just lessons in genual? Also, when you first met the Head Coach,did she/he seem eiger to take on your Daughter? Also are all 3 coaches that have trained little kids before? I ask that to make sure it can be ruled out that the Head coach (A) didn't just walk out on her for any reason. I know you said your Daughter has accomplished a lot. But it doesn't nesacerally mean true feelings. I personally myself if could would love to teach a kid. Hyphophedically speaking of course. Have you tried leaving any kind of voice-mail? Though I've found myself they never get returned. But if the Head coach is nice as you say. Maybe she/he WILL answer you. BTW. did A and B spicify any amount of time they'd be gone? Or give you any numbers as emergency contact,etc.?

kayskate
01-31-2008, 06:21 AM
I second getting in touch w A and asking for another recommendation, maybe 2 if possible. Saying C is not a good fit is enough. Tell C the same thing that you will be using another interim coach. Make sure the new interim knows s/he is an interim until your regular coach is back.

Kay

doofsy
01-31-2008, 09:44 AM
This thread was started in November '06..... I would hope the issue with the coaches is resolved by now!?

Isk8NYC
01-31-2008, 09:51 AM
This thread was started in November '06..... I would hope the issue with the coaches is resolved by now!?
I was just going to say that, thank you.

FSWer - please remember to check the posting dates. There's plenty of new conflict threads we can add to without resurrecting old ones, thanks.