View Full Version : What Sort of Gloves Do You Wear?

SkatingOnClouds
11-17-2006, 02:06 AM
I've lost a glove, and had to wear different ones today, started me thinking about gloves in general.

I wear cycling gloves. They are fingerless, lycra back and synthetic leather palm, with gel pads where I am most likely to fall on, and they're fingerless. They look awfully butch, but I really like them. Now I have lost one (sniff :cry: - they cost about $50) so this morning I had to wear magic gloves. Wasn't long before I took them off, they made my hands way to hot. It felt weird skating without gloves, sort of naked and a bit daring. I fall too often and the ice is too rough to consider going naked, though I will for a comp.

So, what sort of gloves do other people wear?

Thin-Ice
11-17-2006, 03:38 AM
Sorry to hear you lost your expensive glove.

I like the little knit "magic gloves".. but then I have a tendency to need something bright at the end of my hands to remind me to keep my arms outstretched and at shoulder height for most things. And I don't get too warm, because generally I wear sleeveless dresses. I also like that they are easy to mend and CHEAP!!!

Isk8NYC
11-17-2006, 03:48 AM
A former student gave me a beautiful pair of fleece gloves that matched my rink jacket, and I had a pair of gloves with cute little penguins and mini-pompom-snowballs, but I loaned them to one of our skating school assistant instructors and she kept "forgetting" them at home. I don't lend out anything now, not even markers.

I now have two pairs of black gloves that I bought at a supermarket for $2 each. They look like wool, but they're really polyester. They're sized for an adult so they don't need to stretch very much. This is my second year with them and I keep watching to see if the supermarket gets them in again this year because I like them so much.

jenlyon60
11-17-2006, 04:57 AM
cheap super stretchy gloves from Target. They're usually around $3 for 2 pairs and are identical to the super stretchy gloves in the rink pro shop except for the price (much cheaper at Target).

russiet
11-17-2006, 05:31 AM
Cross country skiing gloves, made by Swix. They are thin yet warm with synthetic leather on the palm side & made for aerobic activity in the cold. I buy them when they go on sale at my local nordic ski shop.

Otherwise, just cheap knit gloves bought in bulk.

Jon

Skittl1321
11-17-2006, 06:55 AM
I wear these:
http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/product.cfm/id/4AC58220-475A-BAC0-55CE77AA8A049AB0

Cheap, keep my hands warm- and with my nerve damage that's important to me.

I think I can get them cheaper at a target, but I just threw em in with my skate order.

I have an awesome pair of pearl izumi cycling gloves with gel pads that I use for cycling. I guess they would cushion if I fell onto my hands, but they are a little chunky around the fingers and I would have a hard time making "graceful hands"

Ice Dancer
11-17-2006, 07:01 AM
I wear close fitted red ones, which are that soft material which looks like wool but feels a bit like velvet. They are knitted and do leave patterns on your hands if you fall!

My hands have never got hot in them, and they feel nice too!

Mrs Redboots
11-17-2006, 07:02 AM
I really only wear gloves if it's cold, and try to take them off once I've warmed up. But I do keep a pair in my skate bag, just in case it is cold - although last week Husband didn't have a pair and it was very cold, so I kindly lent them to him and wore the gloves out of my coat pocket.

But we both try to wear them as little as possible.

sue123
11-17-2006, 07:52 AM
I wear those stretchy fabric gloves from Target. They're $1.50 for 2 pairs, or they were when I got them. You get 2 pairs in a pack. When I lose them or htey become torn or something, I just toss them. I also am known to wear 2 different color gloves when I forget where my arms are supposed to be. When coming out of a spin, it would take me a while to realize which was my right and which was my left. So I started wearing 2 different colors, and it was easier to say the blue hand goes in front and the green in the back. Then, I got used to it, and can now wear the same colors. But I do wear 2 diff. ones on occasion when I need a reminder,

CaraSkates
11-17-2006, 08:47 AM
I wear those stretchy fabric gloves from Target. They're $1.50 for 2 pairs, or they were when I got them. You get 2 pairs in a pack. When I lose them or htey become torn or something, I just toss them. I also am known to wear 2 different color gloves when I forget where my arms are supposed to be. When coming out of a spin, it would take me a while to realize which was my right and which was my left. So I started wearing 2 different colors, and it was easier to say the blue hand goes in front and the green in the back. Then, I got used to it, and can now wear the same colors. But I do wear 2 diff. ones on occasion when I need a reminder,

I wear the stretchy gloves too. I have a couple pairs of them in a chenille :?: fabric that I wear now, for a little extra warmth. Our rink is VERY cold and I have been known to wear two pairs during Dec and Jan. I have about 15 pairs or so and I just stick my hand in the bag and grab two. I have a black dress with pink and blue side stripes and I sometimes wear one blue and one pink glove for fun. Or a friend and I will each wear a orange and a green. Things like that, just for fun. For competition/test warm ups we wear black, white or beige gloves.

DallasSkater
11-17-2006, 08:50 AM
My rink is a very cold rink. It seems when the temp outside is cold, they keep it even colder inside. During last winter, I could not skate without a hat or my ears would get freezer burnt! I wore ski gloves that are high quality and made for very active outdoor sports. For the summer I wore only ski glove liners that are also for high activity. Might be my Texan thin blood but I am always cold on the rink unless it is 100 degrees outside!

Clarice
11-17-2006, 09:04 AM
My daughter and I wear the Target stretchy gloves, too - in fact, we just stocked up for the season last week. We also have these enormous double-layer fleece mittens we wear over them when it's really cold.

Bill_S
11-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Umm, am I the only person who wears cheap 99 cent brown cotton garden gloves?

They last about two weeks before I manage to slice a hole in them putting on my blade guards. Because they are so cheap, I buy several pairs at a time and treat them as expendable.

TimDavidSkate
11-17-2006, 09:40 AM
when I dont lose them :halo: i just get the one from the 99c store too... i used to have leather biker gloves, but i lost 'em

Team Arthritis
11-17-2006, 11:02 AM
I have problems getting gloves to fit. I have a very broad palm and gloves often squeeze it in making my hand cramp, so I must use very stretchy gloves. THe rink barier is slick plastic so I can't really use knit gloves unless they have the little rubber beebles on the palms.

My favorites are a little more expensive - they are $11 a pair "mechanics gloves" from Walmart. The palm and fingers are thin leather. The rest of the glove is nice stretchy lycra. I wear out the leather in about 6 months - better the gloves than my skin.
Lyle

Skate@Delaware
11-17-2006, 11:28 AM
I use the stretchy knit gloves from Walmart, about $1.42 for 2 pair. When they get ripped, I chuck them. I buy up their stock at their end-of-season clearance sale, when they are usually 25 cents for 2 pair.

icedancer2
11-17-2006, 01:47 PM
I always start out with mittens (Isotoner mittens, cream color with brown suede palms -- have bought several pairs of these over the years) -- mittens keep your fingers warm because they are all together and keep each other warm.

Eventually my hands get hot and then I switch to those super-stretchy cheapo ones that you get at Target, only I usually get mine from the lost and found. I have about 10 pairs of them, mostly black, and right now I am wearing a nice light green pair.

I occassionally skate with no gloves (at the cold, regular rinks) -- at the mall rink where we ice-dance, I don't wear any gloves (or any sleeves for that matter -- too hot!!).

jazzpants
11-17-2006, 02:26 PM
I wear a combination of these (http://www.harbingerfitness.com/flash/catalog/Gloves/130.html) and the cheapo $1 Magic Stretch Gloves. I also have the gel pads from SkatingSafe.com under my leather gloves for extra cushion on falls too.

MQSeries
11-17-2006, 02:53 PM
I think it's better to forgo the gloves altogether; Otherwise, you get used to wearing them during practices and then you'll feel naked without them during tests and competitions.

doubletoe
11-17-2006, 03:24 PM
I have an awesome pair of pearl izumi cycling gloves with gel pads that I use for cycling. I guess they would cushion if I fell onto my hands, but they are a little chunky around the fingers and I would have a hard time making "graceful hands"

Yes, my padded Pearl Izumi bicycle gloves were a godsend when I was first landing my axel. I kept landing backwards on one foot, but then falling backwards and having to break my fall with my palms. My palms got so bruised they hurt, so my husband suggested them and they worked like a charm. But I eventually stopped wearing them because they were leather and so I never washed them and they got stinky. . . :roll:

doubletoe
11-17-2006, 03:28 PM
I think it's better to forgo the gloves altogether; Otherwise, you get used to wearing them during practices and then you'll feel naked without them during tests and competitions.

I agree that you definitely need to get used to skating your program without gloves before you skate it in competition or for a test. But if the ice is rough or you're practicing something you're likely to fall on, gloves are a really good idea!

black
11-17-2006, 03:35 PM
When I started skating I used to wear Damart gloves, that is until I left them in the tumble dryer and they came out pixie sized! 8O By the time I got around to getting a new pair, I'd got used to skating without gloves.

I am however thinking about getting another pair at some point for hydroblading. Does anybody here hydroblade without gloves?

sue123
11-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Does anyone else think it's funny that a question on gloves generates over 20 responses?

Edit: Not that there's anything wrong with it, but only on a skating forum will it get this kind of response. I just find it amusing. Now back to your original discussion on the benefits of different gloves.

doubletoe
11-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Does anyone else think it's funny that a question on gloves generates over 20 responses?

Edit: Not that there's anything wrong with it, but only on a skating forum will it get this kind of response. I just find it amusing. Now back to your original discussion on the benefits of different gloves.

Oh, I dunno. . . Wanna go to a softball or cycling discussion board, plant a "What gloves do you wear" thread, then run and hide and see what happens? :lol:

sue123
11-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Oh, I dunno. . . Wanna go to a softball or cycling discussion board, plant a "What gloves do you wear" thread, then run and hide and see what happens? :lol:

See, that's the other thing I never understood. Maybe because I am not much of a cyclist, but why do they need to wear gloves? To stop there hands from slipping off the handlebars? Or is it for protection from falling?

I don't know if a softballer or cycler would have the same response. In softabll, you wear the softball gloves. Sure there are different brands, but skating, we can wear any kind of gloves, from the cheapo stretchy gloves, to garden gloves, to ski gloves, to cycling gloves. That makes us special :D

jazzpants
11-17-2006, 05:54 PM
See, that's the other thing I never understood. Maybe because I am not much of a cyclist, but why do they need to wear gloves? To stop there hands from slipping off the handlebars? Or is it for protection from falling?Wikipedia seems to be a great wealth of knowledge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_gloves) for everything! ;)

I don't know if a softballer or cycler would have the same response. In softabll, you wear the softball gloves. Sure there are different brands, but skating, we can wear any kind of gloves, from the cheapo stretchy gloves, to garden gloves, to ski gloves, to cycling gloves. That makes us special :DPersonally, I would not wear those rollerblading gloves. They actually end up hurting more on impact and it's really bulky. Same w/baseball gloves...

Skittl1321
11-17-2006, 05:55 PM
See, that's the other thing I never understood. Maybe because I am not much of a cyclist, but why do they need to wear gloves? To stop there hands from slipping off the handlebars? Or is it for protection from falling?

When you ride 50+ miles those gloves make a big difference with the comfort of the handle bars. Actually even on 10 miles they make a big difference. They help prevent blisters from the rubbing, they help you from slipping off the bars and help you get a better grip on the handle bars, and yeah, they can help if you fall- but I wouldn't say thats the main reason.

Plus, they provide an additional tan line for your cycling gear.

doubletoe
11-17-2006, 06:44 PM
Sure there are different brands, but skating, we can wear any kind of gloves, from the cheapo stretchy gloves, to garden gloves, to ski gloves, to cycling gloves. That makes us special :D

That's true. Hmm. . . How about those disposable latex gloves from the examination room? 8O

CaraSkates
11-17-2006, 08:05 PM
I would freeze at my rink without gloves. A week or two before a competition/test, I practice my warmup/program without gloves. I never wear gloves to warm up at a competition so I can never forget to take them off! For normal practice though I love my magic stretchy gloves. I have hands that get cold VERY easily and will often be freezing just at home once the weather cools down. I need my gloves to keep warm while practicing!

sue123
11-17-2006, 08:45 PM
When you ride 50+ miles those gloves make a big difference with the comfort of the handle bars. Actually even on 10 miles they make a big difference. They help prevent blisters from the rubbing, they help you from slipping off the bars and help you get a better grip on the handle bars, and yeah, they can help if you fall- but I wouldn't say thats the main reason.

Plus, they provide an additional tan line for your cycling gear.

I have to admit, I never really thought about cyclists needing gloves, but after that wikipedia link, it seems to make more sense. For some reason, I never thought that you would need them for warmth, because I always thought they were without the fingers, which are for me, always the parts of my hand that gets coldest. But I never realized htere were so many different cycling gloves. I was never a serious cyclist, just rode my bike around the neighborhood, but serious athletes need serious equipment.

mr7740
11-17-2006, 09:16 PM
I never wear gloves...luckily my hands don't seem to get cold. My coach used to make me take them off whenever I did a run through of my program and I eventually got used to being without. It has been about ten years, and my hands feel so bulky whenever i wear them...plus they would screw up the lines the artistic lines when I am trying out different arm movements.

sexyskates
11-17-2006, 09:37 PM
I wear the cheap little stretchy gloves also for practice and warm up at competitions if it's cold. But the first time I competed all I could think about were my fingers, because I wasn't used to skating with naked hands. So now I always do runthroughs of my programs without gloves, even if the rink is really freezing.

SkatingOnClouds
11-18-2006, 01:31 AM

LOL. You should try the cellist's forum which I used to frequent when I played. Just try asking them what rosin they use, what strings, what anything. It leads to as much discussion as ooh, I don't know, which brand of skating boots are best.

I do fall over a lot, at least once a session, sometimes a lot more :roll:
When I fall I sometimes land on the heel of my hand, and this bursts blood vessels. It doesn't hurt too bad, but it does sting for a while. Next day there is a huge though painless bruise on my hand down into my wrist. So I definitely need some protection. Besides, our ice is often rough.

Happy to go without gloves for a program, but not for regular practise. I don't get cold, I get too hot, so fingerless suit me best.
I suppose I could try to find cheap acrylic gloves and get the gel pads to put in them. Not sure if that would work out cheaper than the cycling gloves.

Casey
11-18-2006, 02:14 AM
I got a pair of these (http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=171656&CategoryID=25030&LinkType=EverGreen) not long ago. They're thin and warm and leathery goodness. :D

I use the knit ones sometimes too but they wear out in about one session after a couple hydroblades... :( I like leather because it lasts forever and in the long run, it's cheaper (I used my last pair for about 6 months before I lost them, and I still have the pair of golf gloves that I bought when I first started skating (though they're pretty worn now with a few little holes and I don't really use them anymore...I left them in Portland once and thought, "good riddance!", but then my skate fitter found them and brought them to me the next time she was in Seattle 8O ).

NickiT
11-18-2006, 03:20 AM
I don't wear gloves. Our rink is warm and I find my hands get way too hot in gloves. I do keep a pair in my bag for when the heating breaks though, but I can't remember when I last wore them!

Nicki

Sonic
11-18-2006, 05:58 AM
Gloves! Agghhh!

I've just lost my eighth pair of gloves this year! Don't ask...it's usually because I'm so busy yacking or thinking about other things when I'm taking off my boots and drying the blades! I remember to check I've put the important stuff (ie wallet, phone etc) in my bag but forget about the gloves.:frus:

I don't like practising without gloves, partly because our rink is cold, though I did have a couple of runs without them prior to the two competitions, in order to get used to skating without them.

Luckily for me, primark sell gloves at £1 for two pairs. I keep them in business!

S xxx

lovepairs
11-18-2006, 05:58 AM
I agree with MQSeries, and try to forgo the gloves as much as possible. For me, the gloves are connected with a safety thing when falling, so if I practice ONLY wearing gloves, I'll be reluctant to fall in a test or competition. If I'm reluctant to fall, then I won't "go for it" and will pull back. Gloves have always been a HUGE psychological barrier for me, so I try to forgo them as much as possible. Also, when skating pairs there are many things that you can't do wearing goves, such as lifts, throws, death spirals, and pair spins. I really need that hand-to-hand contact without anything in between when doing these elements. Very subtle stuff this issue about gloves: interesting thread.

russiet
11-18-2006, 06:24 AM
Umm, am I the only person who wears cheap 99 cent brown cotton garden gloves?

They last about two weeks before I manage to slice a hole in them putting on my blade guards. Because they are so cheap, I buy several pairs at a time and treat them as expendable.

You could costume as a gardener for your next program and skate to Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons".

kateskate
11-18-2006, 06:55 AM
I don't wear gloves. Our rink is warm and I find my hands get way too hot in gloves. I do keep a pair in my bag for when the heating breaks though, but I can't remember when I last wore them!

Nicki

Yes your rink is warm. I am always so hot when I go there for competitions. Makes warming up so much easier though :D

Does you get very hot on usual practise sessions? I imagine I would bake!

kateskate
11-18-2006, 06:57 AM
Gloves! Agghhh!

I've just lost my eighth pair of gloves this year! Don't ask...it's usually because I'm so busy yacking or thinking about other things when I'm taking off my boots and drying the blades! I remember to check I've put the important stuff (ie wallet, phone etc) in my bag but forget about the gloves.:frus:

I don't like practising without gloves, partly because our rink is cold, though I did have a couple of runs without them prior to the two competitions, in order to get used to skating without them.

Luckily for me, primark sell gloves at £1 for two pairs. I keep them in business!

S xxx

Hehe I can't keep track of how frequently I lose gloves! I usually wear them as our rink is cold like yours.

I have the Primark gloves too - just like magic gloves but so much cheaper!

NickiT
11-18-2006, 07:24 AM
Yes your rink is warm. I am always so hot when I go there for competitions. Makes warming up so much easier though :D

Does you get very hot on usual practise sessions? I imagine I would bake!

Oh yes. By the end of my lesson I'm dripping! It's funny though. I do get very cold sat on the side while my daughter skates so it's not so warm then, but compared with some rinks I've been to, it's very warm indeed. Does come as a shock though when the heating goes and we all freeze!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
11-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Oh yes. By the end of my lesson I'm dripping! It's funny though. I do get very cold sat on the side while my daughter skates so it's not so warm then, but compared with some rinks I've been to, it's very warm indeed. Does come as a shock though when the heating goes and we all freeze!I remember once at a competition at your rink my coach was there and he was saying "Are you warmed up? Are you ready to skate?" and I was like, "Listen, if I got any warmer, I'd just collapse into a little pool of melted butter!" It was very hot that weekend, and your rink is always warm.

As is Slough - one never needs the layers and layers to practice there that you do here.

I agree with Lovepairs, though:
Also, when skating pairs there are many things that you can't do wearing goves, such as lifts, throws, death spirals, and pair spins. I really need that hand-to-hand contact without anything in between when doing these elements.I don't do much pairs skating, but the same applies to dance. Gloves are fine for basic compulsory dances, but I do take them off as soon as I can when we're working on anything serious together.

Mind you, I could wish I was wearing a pair right now - the back of my right (mousing) hand is very cold indeed!

Bill_S
11-18-2006, 01:00 PM
You could costume as a gardener for your next program and skate to Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons".

Heck, as inadequately as I skate - and considering how often I slice through trousers, gloves and other clothing, I'd be better off as a stationary scarecrow!

Like that music though!

slusher
11-18-2006, 02:07 PM
I wear something like this
http://www.toolbarn.com/product/kinco/5210/
fingerless gloves with the mitten overtop.

Currently I'm skating naked. No mitts, no coat. Competition is coming up soon.

mikawendy
11-18-2006, 05:00 PM
During the spring/summer/fall, I try to go without gloves as long as possible. I also skate without gloves as much as possible (at least for freestyle practice) when I'm getting ready for a competition--somehow, my jumps feel different if I do them without gloves right after having done them with gloves on for a long time.

When I do wear gloves, I wear the magic stretchy kind. My favorites are a pair that I snagged in Safeway last year--they have some kind of robot on them and say "Powered up!" They are grey with a red stripe and are otherwise hideously ugly, but I love what they say!

SkatingOnClouds
11-19-2006, 01:37 AM
Oh joy, oh bliss !!! My coach turned up today waving my missing glove. I was so pleased to see it I hugged her. Might seem crazy, but I really was so glad to get it back.

For me, the gloves are connected with a safety thing when falling, so if I practice ONLY wearing gloves, I'll be reluctant to fall in a test or competition. If I'm reluctant to fall, then I won't "go for it" and will pull back.

I don't believe I would even notice I wasn't wearing gloves in a test or competition, I'd have too much else on my mind. I don't believe lack of gloves would cause me to hold back for fear of falling. Everyone is different, I guess. But I can quite see that gloves might be impractical in dance or pairs.

lovepairs
11-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Sort of like a psychological quirk...I just associate wearing goves with falling. Yes, we are all different, in deed. But it's the same thing as practicing smiling when you skate, because if you don't practice this don't expect to show up on competition day and be able to smile through your program. With me I have to practice without gloves as much as possible, so that nothing is really different on competition day. Just a personal thing.

SkatingOnClouds
11-20-2006, 02:36 AM
...But it's the same thing as practicing smiling when you skate, because if you don't practice this don't expect to show up on competition day and be able to smile through your program. With me I have to practice without gloves as much as possible, so that nothing is really different on competition day. Just a personal thing.

Actually that is a really interesting point. I have only been in one competition in my life. I was so terrified they had to push me out onto the ice. In practise I knew exactly what I wanted to do in terms of artistic impression, but was too embarrassed back then to do it that way in practise. On the night I skated like an automoton, just got through it, with no artistry - and it was an artistic comp.

This time I am working on the artistic expression right from the first practise session. But I will still wear gloves up until that night.;)

Team Arthritis
11-20-2006, 10:41 AM
does anyone else feel sorta naked when they take off their gloves? We have to be gloveless for our pairs stuff and it make bothe my wife (Miss Frozen Fingers) and me (Mr. Hot Hands) a little nervous.
Lyle

Skate@Delaware
11-20-2006, 11:39 AM
I wear gloves because my rink is cold and my hands freeze, and my ice is yucky (even tho they sanitize it monthly, people still spit on it and bleed on it). My coach makes me take them off when I get lazy hands, or when I do my program. I like to have them on when I fall (which seems to be happening more often).

Bill_S
11-20-2006, 11:55 AM
does anyone else feel sorta naked when they take off their gloves?

Me.

I'd never take them off if I didn't have such a high-performance nose when it's cold. Gotta reach for the handkerchief every several minutes!

Testing: I'm so nervous for test sessions anyway that I never notice that I'm without gloves. I don't have time to ponder naked hands when I'm hyperventilating and running for the bathroom every 10 minutes.

Skate@Delaware
11-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Me.

I'd never take them off if I didn't have such a high-performance nose when it's cold. Gotta reach for the handkerchief every several minutes!

Testing: I'm so nervous for test sessions anyway that I never notice that I'm without gloves. I don't have time to ponder naked hands when I'm hyperventilating and running for the bathroom every 10 minutes.

HA!!!! This is hilarious!!! I thought you were talking about me just before a competition!!! It's bad enough to have trouble breathing but to be running to the bathroom (and wearing a dress and tights just compounds the situation)...:frus:so now before each competition, I've been advised by my coach to drastically restrict my fluids....