View Full Version : Ankle pain

newskaker5
01-19-2007, 07:09 PM
I was wondering if anyone has experianced this problem or if you know what causes it:

1. I have really bad ankle pain on the outside of my right ankle (Im right handed). It isnt a sprain of any kind - more of an irritation that has been happening after I skate for about a month now. It seems to swell too (not much but a little). It is sore to teh touch and is starting to hurt more and more when I skate. Even taking a week off, it did not go away.

I were the bunga pads around my ankles when I skate, so I dont get why all of a sudden this would start hurting. I lace my ankles tight but not terribly tight (enough so I can land jumps, etc)

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it just the skates? I have been in the same pair of skates since a month after I started (about 8 months in these skates) and this is the 1st time this has happened.

Any advice to make it stop hurting?:frus:

doubletoe
01-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Do you feel your boot pressing against your ankle bone? If so, it should help if you get the outside ankle on your right boot punched out at your skate shop (they'll often do it for free if you bought your skates there).

sk8pics
01-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Does it hurt only when you skate? Or does it hurt when you are walking too? I had tendonitis in the outside of my right ankle about 5 years ago. You should see a doctor if it doesn't go away and is interfering with your activities. My doc (a sports orthopedist) had me on anti-inflammatories, prescription level doses not OTC, for a couple of weeks, then off the drugs to see if it helped, then repeated the course of treatment and I was fine. He also prescribed exercises that helped. I also iced it after I skated.

Terri C
01-19-2007, 08:25 PM
I had to chip in here, since I did see a orthopedist today for a similiar issue.
About two weeks ago, I fell on a freaky landing on a loop jump (actually the jump wasn't fully rotated). It started to hurt afterward, but Coach insisted that it was "all in my head." A few minutes later, midway into my program I stopped short of doing a Salchow because of possible pain and making things worse.
All through this I could walk and skate normally- but jumps were a no -no. I could do power pulls, some of the Silver moves, and last week almost completed my first RBO three turn- I put the foot down.
So this afternoon, I went, and after X-rays and a exam, was basically diagnosed with a right post tibofibular ligament strain and lateral ankle pain., as well as arthritis in the ankle.
Even though I was given a prescription for PT and told to ice the area before and after I skate, I've elected to take a week off to expedite the healing process.

So if you feel the need, see a doctor- better to be safe than sorry

newskaker5
01-19-2007, 08:42 PM
It seems to me to be more of a bruise than anything. I have had tendonititis (sp?) in other body parts before, but this is more a general pain and swelling - like a bruise- of the side of the ankle above and to the font of the ankle bone. It hurts all the time if you press on in (like a bruise), but running/ walking/ weight training (squats, etc) it feels fine. However, no visible bruise is there (but thats normal for me - it takes a lot for me to bruise)

I am just so confused as why all of a sudden its hurting - it definately hurts a ton when I lace up the skates and skate, but I havent changed the skates/socks/bunga pads, etc and this just started - maybe it is from increased jumping (more rubbing on the ankle)?

I will see if I can get them punched out and if that helps. My only concern with the punching is that this is the skate that does tend to loosen at the ankle as I skate (prob from jump landings) and I just dont want it to get too loose. Would I be able to double up on bunga pads?

xofivebyfive
01-20-2007, 01:36 PM
nevermind.