View Full Version : Blade Alignment

zerio
11-15-2006, 05:30 AM
Hi List,

Custumized Blade Alignment service is a problem where I live. Could some one give me some advices besides the common toe / heel alignment? I am aware that sometimes blades must be mounted a bit centered off... one way to check whether or not the blades are aligned are the drawings made on ice while you skate a str8 line...but I wonder if theres any other tip to do that before we mount the boots on the blades. Its a real problem here to mount the blades and later on to realign them...so,,please,share with me some tips how to do that.

If it happens that I need to remount them...what shalI use inthe holes ? Is epoxy glue ( araldite) enough to solve this problem out? I was told that as time goes by the araldite may crack ( it becomes a sorta metal texture) and due to the water its also a big problem.. any tips about what to stick in on the holes either made on the boots that you must realign or old boots that have been nounted on new blades? Justto make sure the holes wont be tooclose and will end up 2adjacents holes into asingle big one that ultimately the blades get off the boots.

ANy other hint about outersoles waterproofing??? Some clue ??? Is vannish painting appropriated?

As a senior s8er who is in a tropical country I have no chance to get any advice and its important to share what I learn here..I used to have all those services done thanks to the HOI crew when they were in tour here....now...we have ano realiable service for this and the chances are do-yourself-and-thanks-or-regret-for-afterwards...(lol) or get a round trip and do it all abroad.

Thanks in advance

ZERIO

From Sunny RIO

PreciseIce
11-15-2006, 09:01 AM
I looking their foot alignment (barefooted) before they wear they skates. Check for off center & where it lean towards. Then as they walk, study their walking habits.

If it's problem skating can help align, work on it .. if not, work the blade instead (normal i suggest working the alignment 1st, then blade compensation).

Also check for their weight baring habits while they balance off the height of the skating boot's heel.

So far it's pretty accurate ... just alot of work!

Joan
11-15-2006, 09:05 AM
This has probably been discussed extensively in earlier threads of this forum. Try doing a search for "blade mounting". Also, this url has some basic instructions:
http://www.usaskates.com/figureskateblades/blademountinginstructions.html
After you have done your temporary mount, try one foot glides on the ice - do you go straight without having to force it? If not, your blade needs to be adjusted at either the toe or heel. Try 3-turns. If you are falling to the inside on an outside 3-turn, you may need to mount your blades slightly to the inside of the center of your soles.

Hope this helps.

Casey
11-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Don't look at the bottom of the sole when you mount the blades, the center of where the soles is is not a good indication...instead, look beyond that at the center of the entire boot. For instance, the front of the blade should align with the seam on the toe, and the heel should align with the center of the back. It may still need adjustment beyond that, but that's the best starting point...

luna_skater
11-15-2006, 07:46 PM
For instance, the front of the blade should align with the seam on the toe, and the heel should align with the center of the back.

This is not necessarily true. None of my skates have actually had the blade mounted exactly in line with this seam. There are variations by boot and foot type.

Isk8NYC
11-15-2006, 09:00 PM
The mounting instructions that came with my Wilson Gold Seals and my kids' Riedell/Jackson boots both say to NOT use the toe seam as a guide. A pro shop uses a "jig" of some sort that allows them to measure the center of the foot based on the boot sole. None of our skates, even my Klingbeils, have that alignment.

Too bad a pro shop is not an available option for you, zerio. Good luck.