View Full Version : Ankle Pain

iceskater26
11-13-2006, 06:57 PM
I now skate once a week for 1.5 hours, but after a while my ankle starts to hurt. I've planned to get new skates, but don't know which ones to buy. I'm thinking of getting one with more ankle support but the boot might be too stiff (also thinking of buying bunga pads). I am in Canskate level 4 and currently working on three turns and forward crossovers. Any suggestions of what type of skates I should be trying when I go fit my boots?

Thanks for any tips. I really would appreciate it.

froggy
11-13-2006, 08:54 PM
how are you lacing up your skates? s/t unproperly laced skates can cause pain. is there too much/too little room around your heel?? describe how your boots feel on you

iceskater26
11-13-2006, 09:25 PM
how are you lacing up your skates? s/t unproperly laced skates can cause pain. is there too much/too little room around your heel?? describe how your boots feel on you

They feel ok, I got softec skates and I think they're just not giving me enough support. I tie up my laces snug but not too tight and I think there is a bit of room in my heel. Here's is a picture of what my skates look like. It's a recreational skate so I think my ankle wants a skate with much more support.

http://www.figureskatingdeals.com/iceskatesproduct.php?dep=Ice&title=Ice%20Skates&brand=&id=3

faeriefall
11-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Hey, I'm a canskate coach and I've had a few skaters with this problem, we can normally fix it within a lesson, there's the odd few that it doesn't fix. Normally I'd just show you how, but since you're not here I'll try to give the best explaination I can.

Loosen the laces to about the second or third to the bottom then Tighten these pretty tight, not so tight that you don't have any circulation but enough so that it feels tight.

The once you come all the way up and are coming to the hood start to loosen up the first hooks will be tighter that the last ones but if your in level four that's good because then you can actually bend you knee for 3 turns(nasty little buggers I know)

When you're done you should be able to stick about two fingers in the top but you're foot shouldn't be moving around.

Bunga pads are a great investment too, they really help, I wouldn't be able to skate if it weren't for mine!

I hope that helps.

btw, how's canskate going for you?

Isk8NYC
11-15-2006, 10:12 AM
faeriefall - are those tying isntructions for the Softec skates or regular skates.
I'm curious about the velcro calf strap - do you have the skaters make the strap tight or loose?

They feel ok, I got softec skates and I think they're just not giving me enough support.Are they Jackson brand Softecs? The knockoffs really don't have very good support or ankle bend.

I know some people that disagree with me, but I don't think that the Softecs provide support for older/bigger skaters. They do, however, build up great ankle strength as the skater tries to control the skate. Several of my students switched to low-end leather skates this year from Jackson Softecs and I've seen radical improvement in control and balance. In a few cases, it also cured the "scooter foot" where the skater only uses one foot for everything.

Just MHO.

If these skates fit comfortably width-wise, go for a Jackson leather boot set next time you buy skates.

You'd probably need a wide width Riedell skate if you wanted to change brands. Don't let the pro shop sell you a bigger (longer) boot if they're too tight width-wise. Have them order the proper width.

Remember: skates are the only piece of equipment that is mandatory in this sport. It's worth the cost of buying good skates and keeping them well-maintained. You can cheap out on the clothing and accessories, but good skates make lessons productive and help you progress faster.

faeriefall
11-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Tying instructions are for softec, although I've found most of my skaters switch after a year... as for the calf-strap it depends on the skater...most of them have it too tight when they start so we have to loosen it a bit...

Isk8nyc, if you have any miracle cures for "scooter foot" I would kiss the ground you walk on :bow: I've managed to fix it with all but one...I'm thinking her problem is confidence though, she's older and self-concious about it...ah well, we'll see how things go today

Isk8NYC
11-15-2006, 10:29 AM
One of my private students has a little brother with a left foot that's constantly bent over in the Softecs. (He also has scooter foot with that boot.) I know the Dad can't tie the skates for beans, so I spend five minutes at the start of each private lesson retying the daughter's skates so she stops complaining and gets down to work. LOL I'll have to relay your lesson to him for the son.

As for scooter foot, I think we had a thread about that some time ago.
I'll see if I can find it for you.

ETA: This is the only one (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=248509) I could find. It's called "shuffling." I'll start a new thread in the Coaches forum and see what responses we get.

Coaches' Skater Shuffle Thread (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=22066)

iceskater26
11-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Canskate is really fun for me and I can't wait to finish it. I am thinking of buying Riedell Blue Ribbon 121 Skates, but I'm not sure what my pro shop sells. At this point, do I need to buy boots and blades separately yet?