View Full Version : hinged skates

Team Arthritis
11-13-2006, 12:25 PM
I couldn't think of where else to put this.
I've been tieing my laces on the bottom half of the Jackson Hinged skates right in the crease where the bottom half and top half attach. DON'T do this, it is a mistake as I have already worn through the tongue padding and there is only stretchy fabric underneath :roll: No wonder I have a big ulcer on my ankle at that spot;)
Lyle

Skate@Delaware
11-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks, Lyle, for the info! I have passed it onto my husband, who is going into his 2nd week of his pro-flex break-in phase....He does have a sore spot, but it's on his ankle bone not the front.

saras
11-14-2006, 06:34 AM
I tie mine on the leather flap that covers the fabric part of the tongue.

I do find that I have to add a double knot or the laces loosen and my heels start to slip.

I've had mine for 3.5 weeks - and am settling in to them well. Spins were the hardest for me to "get back" - although I switched blades pretty drastically too. Jumps came back quickly. Footwork and harder moves (novice) were also tough.

Sara

Team Arthritis
11-14-2006, 07:22 AM
I tie mine on the leather flap that covers the fabric part of the tongue.

I do find that I have to add a double knot or the laces loosen and my heels start to slip.

I've had mine for 3.5 weeks - and am settling in to them well. Spins were the hardest for me to "get back" - although I switched blades pretty drastically too. Jumps came back quickly. Footwork and harder moves (novice) were also tough.

Sara
Yeh tieing on the leather is no problem, sigh, I tied in the groove because it looked cool not to see the tie (vanity).

BTW I switched to the combo nylon/cotton laces and they hold much better. Funny about the heel - I don't think its heat moldable. You may want to call and ask Jackson. Maybe it needs to sit in the oven for a LONG time to penetrate. My R heel is a little tight and goes numb after a couple of hours.

I'm having trouble getting my backspin back, but my lowly footwork is better.
Lyle

saras
11-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Yeh tieing on the leather is no problem, sigh, I tied in the groove because it looked cool not to see the tie (vanity).

BTW I switched to the combo nylon/cotton laces and they hold much better. Funny about the heel - I don't think its heat moldable. You may want to call and ask Jackson. Maybe it needs to sit in the oven for a LONG time to penetrate. My R heel is a little tight and goes numb after a couple of hours.

I'm having trouble getting my backspin back, but my lowly footwork is better.
Lyle

Re not seeing the tie - you can tuck it into the side of the boot (top of the boot edge - close to where the last lace-hole is - not the hinged part) and still not see 'em :)

the boot is heat moldable - I dunno about the heel specifically. It has taken me a few weeks to get my orthotic inserts to fit well - so it's possible that the heel area got stretched a little before the orthotic sat down well into the heel cup area (my heel was sitting a little high for a bit). My heel doesn't move until after about an hour on the ice - so I tried double knotting (as well as re-tying during ice-cuts) and that seems to have solved the problem. My boot fitter did say that heat molding wasn't required - it sped up the process of getting a boot to mold around your foot, but that it would happen anyway from skating in the boot. As for your tight heel - I wonder if there's a way they could stretch it out a bit.

Yup - backspins took a bit for me too. In a way - having to learn the ankle control brought a level of "eek" and self-protective "errors" - KWIM? I mean, - it has made me regress and go through a re-learning stage - errors that I had previously fixed are coming up again. The learning curve is steep though - I'm relying on having previously fixed certain errors already and fixing them again is pretty quick. Backspins were one example - I started doing all these old "not right" backspin things.

On my list is calling the boot fitter to ask about what length laces I need - I'll think about switching to cotton/nylon.