View Full Version : First Competition - oh my!

looplover
11-12-2006, 03:43 PM
This was my first competition, I have no idea of what to think! I did three events, one was fun, one was worse than a trip to the dentist, and the last - I have no idea! I had to skate against the book for all three in ISI FS4. I beat the book.

Compulsories - yay, landed flip, loop and did the sit spin though it wasn't as low as I would like. In fact not parallel though it felt parallel.

technical program - lordy, it started off w/the footwork which I screwed up twice and it was downhill from there, though I landed the loop (I think twice)

interp - in isi interpretive is different, you make up the program on the spot to a song of their choice. This was the strangest one. It felt the best of the three, but I think it was the worst, because my coach said nothing afterwards, yikes! Literally nothing! I think I flailed around a lot.

I guess I will enter another competition?? :??

Skittl1321
11-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Congrats on your first competition! I hope I'm able to get out there someday...

Isk8NYC
11-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Hooray! I was an ISI skater and I hated interpretive, but I loved the experience. The key is to have a few mini-routines that you can use for fast/slow/dramatic music. Then, make it fit to the music they choose.

I judged Interpretive once and the song was the "I Dream of Jeannie" theme song. These kids had NEVER seen the show, (I asked later) except one little girl who kept doing the fold-arms-and-blink routine. The other judges were ready to cry - we heard that song at least 20 times before the event was over!

Petlover
11-13-2006, 11:31 AM
I'm a witness - Looplover's compulsories were awesome!!!! Looplover, you are a lot of fun to skate with, and I'm really proud of you for all your good stuff this competition!
Marcia

Team Arthritis
11-13-2006, 11:48 AM
way to GO! Coaches never know what to make of interp - its just for fun. FS-4 is tough I'm impressed and wish I could match that. NExt, enter in the event where you get to wear the silly costumes :lol:
Lyle

Mrs Redboots
11-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Very well done indeed!

Here, your interpretive is called Improvisation and has recently become very popular. I did it once - never, ever again! What worked in my head in the cloakroom, and vaguely worked in the warm-up didn't work at all in the actual competition.... oh well! It was fun anyway.

looplover
11-13-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks all!

Oh Marcia...the interp...I dunno about doing that again. I think I did crossovers and edges for the whole time, and one loop and one salchow 8O

faeriefall
11-15-2006, 09:29 AM
In skatecanada competitions we have interpretive which is the normal pick a peice of music and interpret it ahead of time.

Then we have an event called artistic(although they change the names, just to make you read the fine print) Where they choose a peice of music and you make it up on the spot.

My first attempt at this was horrible but after that It's now my favorite event!:D

Probably something to do with the fact that I'm the biggest spaz ever...in a good way, and mayber even being a band geek helps, our band director makes us play everything under the sun, the jetsons theme, lord of the rings, e.t., Marches, Ballads, anything he can get his hands on and I'm always like
"If I could skate to this...."

O.k. I'll stop rambling now:giveup:

Mel On Ice
11-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Congrats on your first competition, it's the one you will always remember! When the time comes to part with my medals, those are the ones I will keep.

I hate the FS4 dance step, it is one of the reasons I keep screwing up my 3-turns in silver MIF (note to self: there are no mohawks in that MIF pattern...) It's also the reason I don't ever want to compete freestyle 4 again - I skate faster when I'm nervous and inevitably two foot something or turn on the wrong foot. I have only done it cleanly in competition once, at Winter Classic. LY at the Adult Champs I two-footed the LBO 3 in front of the judges and at this year's ACs, well, the middle was simply a mess.