View Full Version : Wish to remember or hope to forget (Practice Thread 12-18 November 2006)

Mrs Redboots
11-12-2006, 05:33 AM
(In deference to Rusty Blades, I'll start this week's thread. The title is because it's Remembrance Sunday!)

Wish to Remember: Our Kilian and Reverse Kilian stroking is getting much better - we are learning to touch shoulders all the time. Backwards was still a bit awkward, but worked better when we stopped and got down in the knee together before pushing off. Again, we are beginning to be able to keep our shoulders together, but we didn't quite dare try with the pad in place! Swing Rolls in waltz hold were pretty dire, but we kept trying. Foxtrot Hold not great, but the lap of cross-rolls we did were okay.

Frbskate63's success has inspired Husband (who always pretends he isn't competitive - yeah, right!), and he will probably be taking his Level 1 Elements and Free on 30 November! The only thing that is really new to him is the perimeter stroking, but he won't have trouble with that.

His Level 4 Dance Moves are no more ready than my Level 3 ones, alas, but we both hope for a kind judge who knows it's our last chance..... but that won't be until later, probably put our test papers in at the last possible minute and hope for a late test date.

Hope to forget: My cross-rolls weren't so bad this morning, I am beginning to get a bit more flow on them. Cross-cuts were desperately awful again, to the point of nearly reducing me to tears, but did manage half a lap of half-way decent ones so left it at that.

I need to work on my waltz 3s in hold; I was having trouble with "Extend, feet together, turn!" and pushing into my turns properly. But we had to stop our Prelim Waltz to avoid a child, and when we started again, it worked a lot better - I was able to stay much closer to him, and our hold worked better. I think part of the trouble is that he keeps an awful lot of tension in his shoulders, and it does make partnering difficult - I expect mine are a bit tense, too.

samba
11-12-2006, 06:31 AM
(In deference to Rusty Blades, I'll start this week's thread. The title is because it's Remembrance Sunday!)

Good title, lest we forget.

Frbskate63's success has inspired Husband (who always pretends he isn't competitive - yeah, right!), and he will probably be taking his Level 1 Elements and Free on 30 November! The only thing that is really new to him is the perimeter stroking, but he won't have trouble with that.
Well done Frbskate63
Glad hubby is going for it, trust me, he will sail through it.

Wish to Remember First day back yesterday after 5 months off, absolutely terrified for the first 15 minutes and then managed to relax a little. Had a good morning this morning doing basic dances with coach.

Hope to Forget Fell on my butt, which is not the best of place when recovering from a back problem, no harm done just hurt pride. Unbelievably rusty, feel like a total beginner again.

DallasSkater
11-12-2006, 09:07 AM
It has been a tough week following one week off the ice!

Wish to remember: yesterday was the first day I felt I had my mojo back. Finally was able to do all I had previously gained with confidence!

Hope to forget: Struggled all week just getting my ice feel back. The skate school is doing a Xmas recital and we were introduced to the things they want us to do. I cannot even begin to describe how silly it will be. The one other adult in my freestyle class asked just before our class...they are not going to make us all hold hands or something ...are they? Well, the answer is no...instead we must tightly grasp each other by the waist for a pinwheel...giggle. He and I are the anchors as the biggest people! He was horrified! giggle again. I found it all very amusing. He and I are partnered for a few things together which is even funnier as I am taller than he is! (Teased him as we do have to hold hands as he does a shoot the duck and I hold his hands and spiral behind him...too funny). ( Hmmm,,,,he is even shorter in this position...giggle) Glad he is in the class as I just could not stop laughing at the whole thing~!

renatele
11-12-2006, 09:45 AM
(This happened yesterday, but I like the title of this week's thread better):

Hope to forget: falling on my head on FO mohawk in 8-step mohawk sequence. In about a year or so that I've been doing 8step mohawks, I never had any trouble with them (besides being scared in the beginning), never fell down on those, couldn't really "get" why they are so tough for many adults.

Yesterday I was skating at a seasonal rink near my home. Quite crowded, couldn't do anything besides whatever would fit in the center circle, though even there it wasn't particularly safe, with some kids staging races straight through the middle, and a clueless parent with a tiny daughter getting dangerously close to me. I was distracted. Possibly stepped on the blade of the other foot, or didn't pick up the free foot out of the way fast enough. Felt myself flying down, BOOM. Hit the head (maybe twice). Went into shock - couldn't really move for some time, then felt tingly, but was aware of where I was and what happened, and could talk. Pool of blood around my head, ambulance, ER, etc. Have a tender vertebrae, but not broken. Came out of whole thing with a sore right wrist, strong whiplash, light concussion (I guess) and 15 staples on my head (scull is ok). Still laughing, as what can I do - cry? LOL.

Hope to be back on the ice in a couple of weeks.

Wish to remember: ahem... that I need to concentrate on what my feet are doing more 8O and not take chances skating on public sessions in a crowded rink.

Skittl1321
11-12-2006, 10:00 AM

Wow. You are a stronger person than me. I think my skates would be hanging up after that. Glad to hear you came out of it okay, and wish you a speedy, but complete, recovery.

renatele
11-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Wow. You are a stronger person than me. I think my skates would be hanging up after that. Glad to hear you came out of it okay, and wish you a speedy, but complete, recovery.

I expect to be quite scared when I come back. At the same time, I don't want to give up - life would be quite boring if we always chose to do only "safe" things.

DallasSkater
11-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Wow Renata!

What a story! Makes me think twice about what I attempt on the crowded public sessions. So glad you are OK as it sounds like quite a spill!

WTG for your good attitude about it. Send healing vibes your way!

mikawendy
11-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Ouchie, Renatale--I hope you're back on the ice soon! Maybe this break will give you a chance to see a podiatrist for that foot problem you had mentioned...

I've had some bad falls on the 8-step myself, usually when my shoulders get ahead of my hips and/or I step on my blades.

Skittl1321
11-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Wish to remember: Only 2 other people on the ice for the first 20 minutes of the public session! I didn't do anything remarkable, but that was nice. I also had a good lesson, though nothing stands out in particular. You can read about it in my journal (link in signature)

Hope to Forget: Eek, backwards 3 turns, if you can call them that. I guess I did as well as these as when I first started forward 3 turns, but wow were these bad. Maybe by the time we start them in group lessons I'll have them okay and it will look like I'm a genius :roll: . And I am so frustrated by my scratch spin. I just cannot seem to do it. I want so badly to be able to spin.

dbny
11-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Hope to forget:[/B] falling on my head on FO mohawk in 8-step mohawk sequence. In about a year or so that I've been doing 8step mohawks, I never had any trouble with them (besides being scared in the beginning), never fell down on those, couldn't really "get" why they are so tough for many adults..............
Possibly stepped on the blade of the other foot, or didn't pick up the free foot out of the way fast enough. Felt myself flying down, BOOM. Hit the head (maybe twice). Went into shock - couldn't really move for some time, then felt tingly, but was aware of where I was and what happened, and could talk. Pool of blood around my head, ambulance, ER, etc. Have a tender vertebrae, but not broken. Came out of whole thing with a sore right wrist, strong whiplash, light concussion (I guess) and 15 staples on my head (scull is ok). Still laughing, as what can I do - cry? LOL.

I'm guessing you have great turn out, which makes the FO Mohawk easy for anyone, even adults. That could be why you didn't "get" the difficulty.

I've seen too many skaters fall just that way, DD included, although I've never seen anyone injured as seriously as you were. If it's any consolation to you, one can do the same fall for the same reasons on a FI Mohawk too (speaking from experience :roll:). It sounds just awful, and I would have been crying, not laughing! OUCH! Hope you feel better soon and don't have too much fear when you come back.

sk8pics
11-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Renatele,
OUCH! I hope you feel better soon and make a speedy recovery, and are back on the ice fast.

Hannahclear
11-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Wish wish wish to remember!

For some reason, was able to do respectable forward power pulls today. I think the warm up drill of inside edge to inside edge has been working. Can't WAIT to show moves coach tomorrow. I think he will be happy.

Hope to forget

No one foot axel attempts today. :( Oh well.

Rusty Blades
11-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks for starting the thread Boots! (It gets hard to come up with good titles after awhile!)

Best forgotten! I am feeling a shortage of ice time! The Halloween eve session was cancelled 'cause nobody else wanted to sake (I would have!), I missed last Tuesday with a splitting headache, and yesterday's Saturday session was cancelled for Rememberence Day. :x

It took longer to warm up and limber up than it should have, being off the ice for 3 days in a row. Today had been “bring a friend day” in the preceding CanSkate session and, along with some stalagmites (condensation drips!) the ice was a mess until the mid-session flood!

Back to a bit of forward stroking, primarily left foot, and playing with turn combinations but mostly did a whole LOT of backwards, going for deep backward edges and proper free-foot position. Still have to build up the stamina of the backward muscles, especially for the deep knee bend but they are coming.

Wish to remember: Actually did a couple of CW back cross-overs - WAHOO! - not two in a row mind you, but one here and another there. Funny, I don’t remember back cross-overs feeling so strange but I guess they will come back in time. I couldn’t quite get solid enough on the skating foot to reach over for the CCW cross-overs though. Back cross-overs are the last of the “mandatory moves” that I want for my competition program in the spring, so things are coming along nicely. I have enough now to "fake it" if I had to :roll:

Skate@Delaware
11-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Renatale-OUCH! Please get better soon!

Wish to remember: What a good scratch spin felt like! Today's were crazy! Traveling and off-balanced...must have done about 20 and only centered 2-3. Sheesh! On the other hand, we worked on backspins (mostly because I'm still sick with this cold/cough). A small amount of progress! I had been blocking with my left shoulder and we worked on removing that. I had also not had my weight on my right foot before, but now I do. So, a small amount of progress is something!

Hope to forget: The Click of Death on back crossovers!!! Not sure what happened except my blades got too close together and BAM! down I went (on the left hip, of course!) sliding across the ice. Nothing but a big bruise, got up and shook it out. Also hope to forget the raw skin on the front of my ankle from my new boots-am I supposed to be breaking the boots in or are they breaking me in?????? Owie!!! Not sure what else to do, it's been padded, bandaged, etc. Nothing on the right side, isn't that weird?

Isk8NYC
11-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Ouch! Renata - guess we're not skating on Wednesday - get well soon.

Wish to Remember:
It was a good day to go for a spin!
Camels, a former distant memory! I did a bunch of them today and only blew a few!
Sit-change-sit were great - no bobbles, for some reason.
Cross-foot spin - Doubletoe's right: easier from a backspin. I'm sure I look like a constipated dog, but I did 5 or 6 of them with balance.
One-foot waltz jump - LOVE it! Fun and easy.

Hope to Forget:
Layback spin was strangely absent, but I did see the ceiling.
Flips and loops were lousy.
My feet hurt.

Sk8pdx
11-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Hope to forget:
Busy crowded session today. not much room to do anything except practice spins. but it isn't such a bad thing. towards the end of the session, my scratch spin is actually taking on the appearance of a real scratch spin. ...now about getting it centered:oops: the zam broke again so the ice was terrible!

Wish to remember:
a friend of mine showed me a little new footwork. I don't know what it's called. ..kinda like a backward and forward outside mohawk steppy thing traveling down the ice. It was fun though. I am making very small tiny pieces of progress on loop jump.

DallasSkater: welcome back from vacation. Was it a cruise to some place tropical?

Renatale: :cry: Hope you get well soon!

Skate@Del: ooo new skates. Hope your ankle is ok. ;)

doubletoe
11-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Hit the head (maybe twice). Went into shock - couldn't really move for some time, then felt tingly, but was aware of where I was and what happened, and could talk. Pool of blood around my head, ambulance, ER, etc. Have a tender vertebrae, but not broken. Came out of whole thing with a sore right wrist, strong whiplash, light concussion (I guess) and 15 staples on my head (scull is ok). Still laughing, as what can I do - cry? LOL.

Ooooohhh, that's a BAD one!! When I hit my head on the ice, I got that nice dramatic pool of blood (reminiscent of those great hara-kiri on freshly fallen snow scenes in the samurai movies), but no concussion, no ambulance, and only two stitches. I think we should start giving out Purple Hearts of Skating awards, and the first one should go to you! :bow:

jazzpants
11-12-2006, 11:50 PM
I think we should start giving out Purple Hearts of Skating awards, and the first one should go to you! :bow:Here, here!!! :bow: (OMG!!! That is SCARY, renatele!!! I hope that you are recovering well...) 8O

quarkiki2
11-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Wish to remember: Practiced stroking and edge drills as a warm up for my lesson. Forward and back crossovers are feeling much smoother. Worked forward swing rolls and cross rolls. Left side feels good, I'm klutzy on the right.

Lesson: 90% of my one foot spins were entered on one foot, yay-hoo! Although, somehow my centering was off -- not normal at all for me. I think it might be the insane head congestion... Also tried entering spin from RFI3 and stepping right into it. Seemed to work as well as from back crossovers, so now I'll practice both. Reviewed the new Synchro footwork, fine there. Worked back threes and brackets.

Hope to forget: Back threes still two footed, grr! Brackets wobbly because I'm too chicken to do them with speed. The only jumps that showed up were 1/2 flip, 1/2 lutz, 1/2 loop.

Talked with my coach about testing -- the only thing really holding me back is the stinking three turns in the waltz 8 and the new pattern. And the only thing preventing me from doing these is my brain, d'oh!! Coach checked my rythm and placement on waltz 8, just fine. Two footed three turn, as always.

Renatele: Do take care of yourself!!! And get back out there as soon as you feel up to it.

During on-ice practice for my first Synchro competition, I clicked blades with another skater as we were going backwards through a pass-through. I let go of my partner and hit the ice, back of the head first. Minor concussion, no blood or staples, thankfully. I argued with the doc that I wanted to skate the next day, he said no -- and I understand -- if I'd had a dizzy spell whil connected to the team it would have been bad. As it turns out, I couldn't have skated had I wanted to -- I felt like I'd been in a car accident -- whiplash, bruised hip, shoulder and head, sore muscles everywhere.

I was back on the ice four days later for practice -- including the pass through. I refused to let myself be dragged through (the partner of the woman with whom I clicked bades was terrified and stopped pushing entirely). I was scared, but forced myself to do it and all was well.

If only that would work for three turns... Maybe I need to try them with more speed???

Skate@Delaware
11-13-2006, 10:06 AM
I was back on the ice four days later for practice -- including the pass through. I refused to let myself be dragged through (the partner of the woman with whom I clicked bades was terrified and stopped pushing entirely). I was scared, but forced myself to do it and all was well.
It sucks doing synchro if everyone isn't pulling their weight. We used to have the same issue with our group...there was always someone that figured they could "coast" along. Glad you came through that ok.
If only that would work for three turns... Maybe I need to try them with more speed???
I used to have really crappy 3-turns and very slow at that. Now that they are working better, what my coach has me do is start slow, then speed up as I go, each set is at a faster speed, but still technically good (i.e. not sloppy). I either do them on the line or on the circle. It really does help!!! Eventually, you get used to doing them faster and not freaking out. Just go a bit faster and faster. When they get sloppy and bad, stay at that speed and work through it until they are good. Then move on. Hope this helps!

sk8pics
11-13-2006, 11:00 AM
I think we should start giving out Purple Hearts of Skating awards, and the first one should go to you! :bow:

Do broken bones count or does there have to be blood involved? ;) I did have quite a crowd of people around me.

doubletoe
11-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Do broken bones count or does there have to be blood involved? ;) I did have quite a crowd of people around me.

That's a good question. I guess we'll have to come up with minimum requirements for both breaks and stitches/staples, but I think an emergency room visit is a prerequisite for sure, LOL!

jazzpants
11-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Do broken bones count or does there have to be blood involved? ;) I did have quite a crowd of people around me.doubletoe, I nominate Pat for the Purple Hearts of Skating award too, since surgery and screws were involved! LOL!!! :lol: :P ;)

renatele
11-13-2006, 11:19 AM
That's a good question. I guess we'll have to come up with minimum requirements for both breaks and stitches/staples, but I think an emergency room visit is a prerequisite for sure, LOL!

Don't forget that an absolutely terryfing-looking, spectacular fall must be a must ;)

On a serious note: I was VERY scared when I fell, though might have looked relatively calm to those around me, as I talked to them immediately. I calmed down when could finally move my arms/toes, and knew that I probably didn't sustain any really serious brain damage as I was awake and fully aware of the situation, etc. Not a fall I'd want to repeat...

jazzpants
11-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Don't forget that an absolutely terryfing-looking, spectacular fall must be a must ;)Recovering time off ice b/c of said accident must be at least 4 weeks. :lol:

renatele
11-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Recovering time off ice b/c of said accident must be at least 4 weeks. :lol:

Does that mean I may not qualify?

(not sure if it will happen, but I surely hope to be on the ice in less than 4 weeks)

Team Arthritis
11-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Hope To Remember:
Boy you guys, so much good so much bad!
I finally had a good skate this AM and My wife rearranged our pairs program to her liking this AM and she made it flow better - we even ended with the music 8O what's going to happen when we get moving faster?

Hope to forget:
last week, whew, ever have one of those weeks when you just feel awfull very day?:giveup:
Lyle

Mrs Redboots
11-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Does that mean I may not qualify?

(not sure if it will happen, but I surely hope to be on the ice in less than 4 weeks)Do double-check with your doctors that you're really better before you get back on - concussion is not a thing to be trifled with! Some folk have been off work, never mind skating, for several months after a concussion. Actually, one of my friends was back skating long before she went back to work, come to think of it.... but then, her concussion didn't happen on-ice.

jazzpants
11-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Do double-check with your doctors that you're really better before you get back on - concussion is not a thing to be trifled with! Some folk have been off work, never mind skating, for several months after a concussion. Actually, one of my friends was back skating long before she went back to work, come to think of it.... but then, her concussion didn't happen on-ice.Yup! Better check with your doctor! Since you mentioned that you were out, you might find that you'll actually NEED the 4 weeks!!! :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion#Grades

I could make a special case for the Purple Heart in cases of concussions... ;)

renatele
11-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Yup! Better check with your doctor! Since you mentioned that you were out, you might find that you'll actually NEED the 4 weeks!!! :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion#Grades

I could make a special case for the Purple Heart in cases of concussions... ;)

I was not out, and besides being dizzy/feeling like spinning for the first minute or so, was aware of the situation, talked, maintained logic, no memory problems, etc. It was a mild concussion, in my case ;) I do still have a bit of a headache today and still get dizzy, but it is slowly improving.

I'll not take any chances before I feel completely ready to be back, don't worry ;)

Skate@Delaware
11-13-2006, 02:40 PM
This is really scary stuff! When I whacked my head (chin) on the ice a while back, I was out for a few seconds only. Didn't get dizzy or nauseated until the next day....then I did go to the ER. The doctor never told me I had a concussion, but he sent me home with the paperwork for "mild head trauma" & "concussion" as well as labrynthitis. :?? Sort of the warning signs to look for if it gets worse (yeah, we're talking about a woman that already has forgetfulness and balance issues...)

I did stay off the ice (and avoid driving) for two days.

e-skater
11-13-2006, 03:30 PM

Hope to forget: falling on my head on FO mohawk in 8-step mohawk sequence. In about a year or so that I've been doing 8step mohawks, I never had any trouble with them (besides being scared in the beginning), never fell down on those, couldn't really "get" why they are so tough for many adults.

Pool of blood around my head, ambulance, ER, etc. Have a tender vertebrae, but not broken. Came out of whole thing with a sore right wrist, strong whiplash, light concussion (I guess) and 15 staples on my head (scull is ok). Still laughing, as what can I do - cry? LOL.

Renata! OMG! I'm glad you are ok. Yep, well, I'm one of those adults for whom the outside mohawks are tough. And after reading your post, I'll be watching myself! How scary, especially when you do this move so well. I've seen your video! Please, please take care and make sure you stay off the ice as long as Dr. says!

Also, not that this is at all funny, you have me beat on "back of the head stitches"! In 1983, I went with my now husband to a regional rink. I, of course, had never skated. I was on the ice for 15 minutes when I fell and cracked my head. Yep, the pool of blood. Only 8 staples.....I didn't skate again until 1998 (not necessarily because of that fall, but there was no closer rink for my hubby until the one I skate at now opened).

Hope you are feeling better and sustain no lasting effects.

badaxel
11-13-2006, 05:54 PM
I hope you feel better soon, Renata! Is it me, or do we seem to have an abudance of severe injuries lately? In the words of my rink manager... Let's try to stay upright, people!
Anyway...

Remember: Landed a great number of axels today! WOOHOO! Started working on a pancake back spin, which is really fun. I am also getting through my program without nearing exhaustion.

Forget: I don't know where my layback has gone, but I haven't seen it in about 3 weeks, and none of my usually tricks seem to work. It's wild and really uncentered, making adding the catch foot really hard. Also, after having seen the video from HC, I realized that I am really slow overall, and really need to work on getting speed in my program.

Terri C
11-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Renata,
I had a concussion from skating back in 1998. Since I have epilepsy, I had to go to the ER to get checked. I also cracked a wrist on that same fall, and was off the ice for 6 weeks, off work for one. Lucky for me, I didn't have a seizure as a result of the fall.

Okay on with my lesson notes from today.
Wish to remember:
Power threes were all on pattern and was on a inside edge when I needed to be with the forward power perim!! Five step mohawk was nice and quiet.

Hope to forget:
Kids who ignore skaters in lesson having "right of way." Looks like I'm going to have to be the Queen B#$^H on ice between now and test day.
Back perimeter crossovers- I have a bet with Secondary Coach that this will be the reskate move, if there is one!

doubletoe
11-13-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm guessing you have great turn out, which makes the FO Mohawk easy for anyone, even adults. That could be why you didn't "get" the difficulty.

I've seen too many skaters fall just that way, DD included, although I've never seen anyone injured as seriously as you were. If it's any consolation to you, one can do the same fall for the same reasons on a FI Mohawk too (speaking from experience :roll:). It sounds just awful, and I would have been crying, not laughing! OUCH! Hope you feel better soon and don't have too much fear when you come back.

Even though RFO mohawks should have been easy for me (since I do a RFO outside spread eagle), two of my four worst skating falls were on those! Both times I neglected to point the toes of my left foot as I brought the foot down backwards. I planted the heel of my blade in the ice and it stayed there while the rest of me kept going! The first thing to hit the ice was my right hip. I think I got those two awful bruises in the exact same place just 2 weeks apart! :frus:

Skate@Delaware
11-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Hope to forget:
Kids who ignore skaters in lesson having "right of way." Looks like I'm going to have to be the Queen B#$^H on ice between now and test day.
I'm loaning you my "MOVE!!!" until you test. :twisted: I've been good lately and have been saying "excuuuuuse me!!!" instead (and getting more looks too).8O

dbny
11-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Even though RFO mohawks should have been easy for me (since I do a RFO outside spread eagle), two of my four worst skating falls were on those! Both times I neglected to point the toes of my left foot as I brought the foot down backwards. I planted the heel of my blade in the ice and it stayed there while the rest of me kept going! The first thing to hit the ice was my right hip. I think I got those two awful bruises in the exact same place just 2 weeks apart! :frus:

8O So that should help us all remember to point our toes!

renatele
11-13-2006, 08:58 PM
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=36147 - this makes me take my injury quite a bit more seriously. I probably had a grade 1 or 2 concussion, but falling on my head anytime soon just doesn't sound very good.

I'm getting better literally with every hour, though. Much less spells of dizziness today. TV/computer/reading don't exhaust me nearly as much as they did yesterday. I'm still not going anywhere at the very least tomorrow, and probably for several more days. Driving right now just wouldn't be a very great idea. Still hope to get back on the ice to at least stroke around sometime soon ;)

Skate@Delaware
11-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Wish to Remember: the darn steps to the Canasta Tangle (I mean Tango)! I keep forgetting, BUT I do remember the swing dance!!! It was fun and we did the swing dance for almost the whole class time (except the last 5, which was on the tango). During skating warm-up I did the most awesome feeling scratch spin!!!! It felt awesome because it was my most fluid-feeling spin I've had in a long time! I was in the ZEN of the Spin!!!! and it was centered! Couldn't do it again tonight, but that's ok.

Hope to Forget: Almost went down again on back crossovers!!!! Heard and felt the click...tumbled, but recovered. This was on the warm-up ice with all the little kids watching:roll:
PS-my heels and knee do not hurt at all now that I'm in my new boots. The front of my ankle didn't hurt as much tonight (well, I only skated an hour) because I padded it with lamb's wool and a makeup pad. At least the sore spot wasn't bleeding. I take that as progress!
Edited to add: received the dvd today from HC!!!!!

FrankR
11-14-2006, 08:55 AM

Yesterday I was skating at a seasonal rink near my home. Quite crowded, couldn't do anything besides whatever would fit in the center circle, though even there it wasn't particularly safe, with some kids staging races straight through the middle, and a clueless parent with a tiny daughter getting dangerously close to me. I was distracted. Possibly stepped on the blade of the other foot, or didn't pick up the free foot out of the way fast enough. Felt myself flying down, BOOM. Hit the head (maybe twice). Went into shock - couldn't really move for some time, then felt tingly, but was aware of where I was and what happened, and could talk. Pool of blood around my head, ambulance, ER, etc. Have a tender vertebrae, but not broken. Came out of whole thing with a sore right wrist, strong whiplash, light concussion (I guess) and 15 staples on my head (scull is ok). Still laughing, as what can I do - cry? LOL.

Wow. 8O I'm so sorry to hear about this terrible crash, Renata. I wish you a full and speedy recovery. Take care of yourself.

Frank

Mrs Redboots
11-14-2006, 10:21 AM
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=36147 - this makes me take my injury quite a bit more seriously. I probably had a grade 1 or 2 concussion, but falling on my head anytime soon just doesn't sound very good.I'm glad you've seen that. I wanted to refer you to it (it to you?) but couldn't remember where I'd seen the story!

As for me:

Wish to remember: In our lesson this morning, we spent most of the time skating round in waltz hold, trying to do swing rolls. Coach said they were much better, but they didn't feel great. We also did swing rolls in Kilian hold, which were fine, and in Reverse Kilian, which were dire - I don't think we'd actually ventured beyond plain stroking in Reverse Kilian yet. I keep finding I turn slightly towards him in that hold; whether that is me leaning on him (I do try very hard not to), or him pulling me is a bit moot right now; a bit of both, I suspect.

We spent the last five minutes on his Level 1 Elements so that we both knew what he has to do; all fine except his cherry flip which was definitely a toe 3-jump! But I don't think it always is.

After he'd gone, I worked on my one-footed slaloms, and was delighted to find I could actually change edge on 3 of the 4! Yay! Not for long - it wasn't sustained at all, but definitely change-change-wiggle-wiggle-grind-to-a-halt, which is an improvement! Still couldn't quite on left back, though.

Hope to forget: Dance Moves. The cross-rolls are relatively okay, but the cross-cuts are weird. They do seem better than they were - more on an edge, less toey - but I can't sustain them for a whole length of the rink.

Isk8NYC
11-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Wish to Remember: the darn steps to the Canasta Tangle (I mean Tango)! I keep forgetting...I have the same problem with dances and footwork sequences, courtesy (are you reading, Renata?) of a concussion as a child. I have a terrible memory for patterns, formulas, and numbers. (Not to mention faces and names.) If you tell me a story, I'll remember most of it for a long time. Give me your annual salary and I've forgotten it within minutes.

So, I use memory aids. What I've done is to "cut up" the sequences into 2 or 3 parts and then start to memorize from last piece to first. Starting at the "ending" makes it much stronger than working from start to finish, for some reason.

It also helps to actually draw and label the pattern, but that's very time-consuming. Did help me get through all my accounting and social studies classes, though! Strange, but it works.

Wish to Remember:
Started working on the first of three holiday programs I have to choreograph in the next week.
I love the song, but I have to be in a "Caribbean" dance mood.

Decided to start using my weaker side for lunges and other skills, so I get a bit of practice in while teaching.
I've already mastered a one-foot spin CW. (I'm a CCW skater normally)

Hope to Forget:
Can't jump CW. Not willing to hurt myself enough to try, yet.
My left inside threes are sloppy and skidded. Note to self: practice!

doubletoe
11-14-2006, 11:58 AM
8O So that should help us all remember to point our toes!

Yes, that would be my main piece of advice on the second step of the outside mohawk, LOL! To think that I would make the same mistake again after having such a bad fall on that. . .:roll:

SDFanatic
11-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Wish to Remember
That I remember how to skate! That I used to get up at 8am nice and rested.

Hope to Forget
My pronation problems, leaving my purse in my gf's car with my keys in it, truck not starting, sneezing, oversleeping, gloomy days, that the trash truck comes at 2am and my gf gets up at 5am.

Steven

jazzpants
11-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Wish to Remember:

That I finally started kicking thru more consistently on my waltz jumps... and that my salchow isn't THAT bad b/c of the work on the waltz jump. Oh... forgot that I'm now also trying salchows thru the mohawk entry instead of just the FO3 entry. Should be interesting... ;)
How to do a BO pivot (or is it the BI pivot... it's the pivot that the guy does on a death spiral.) Actually I can't remember it b/c I haven't done one yet!!! :twisted: (Yeah, I know for some of you guys... 8O 8O 8O ) I'm glad I'm learning it now b/c it's one of those "KEWL tricks" that I've been wanting to learn to do.Hope to Forget:

How to do a toe-waltz??? :frus: My secondary coach is ON THE CASE to fix this problem!!! 8-)
Not fun to hear that my salchow thru the mohawk entry (which I just started doing) were actually BETTER on the kick thru than the 3turn entry (which I've been doing for AGES!!!) :twisted: :frus:

Sonic
11-14-2006, 03:28 PM
Wish to remember
My loop. After bragging about finally getting a 'proper' loop a few weeks ago,
I am pleased to report that it's still working consistently and my coach is pleased with it.
Salchows are also looking quite good.

Golden Skater's Waltz is progressing well, even though lots of work is still required.

Hope to forget
Where do I start:

Spin entrances are STILL not quite right and look silly
Flip is still only getting a couple of inches off the ice...no sign of legs anywhere near crossed
Continuous three turns in programme are abysmal

tidesong
11-14-2006, 08:37 PM
Hope to forget:
Called the rink because I knew they might close early, but they said the rink would stay open as usual
and i got there and it was closed :frus:

Wish to remember:
nothing! I didnt do any skating!!! :(

Rusty Blades
11-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Hope to forget: ?????? The session was only 1:30 long?

Wish to remember: Dianne was "in a mood tonight"! There was some REALLY good very up-tempo Swing music from the 1930's and this old broad just cut loose 8O I never knew you could do the Jive on the ice, or a reasonable imitation of a Flapper - LOL! The lady in the music booth (30-something) was grinning from ear to ear and I think the young girls were thinking "This old woman is NUTS!" :mrgreen:

Ten months on the ice and already I am becoming a HAM! :roll: Maybe I should change my Interpretive program (again) and go with Big Band and Swing?

On the serious side, the back CW cross-overs were coming together tonight - proper weight transfer and all. Backward skating is also coming nicely - already it is obvious that my backward is going to be WAY better than my forward. Next item on the agenda, CCW back cross-overs!

Sk8pdx
11-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Hope to forget:
Told my coach today that I have been feeling blue lately and not even wanting to skate at all. I am feeling no affect whatsoever about the holiday show coming up and considered not even skating in it. *sigh*. I went to my kickboxing class this evening and feel a little better. I will need to wait a little before making such a drastic decision to not participate in the holiday show. My program seems so uninteresting because I don't think I can do very many "advanced" or "impressive" things that would go with the music (LOVE -Nat King Cole). We even debated using my FS3 technical solo as "plan B". :giveup:

Whish to remember:
Coach says my sit spin is resembling an actual sit position and not a "squat" position. She was delighted in my progress. :)

aussieskater
11-15-2006, 12:46 AM
Hope to forget: Dance Moves. The cross-rolls are relatively okay, but the cross-cuts are weird. They do seem better than they were - more on an edge, less toey - but I can't sustain them for a whole length of the rink.

Mrs RB - we had an "interesting" (read: really hard! 8O ) variation given to us in group lesson today, which I'm thinking will really help me with back cross-cuts when I work out how to do this exercise:

Back XO - hold hard BI edge - change to hard BO edge with free leg behind - bring free foot in front to do opposite direction back XO - repeat. (Grind to halt on toepicks! :P )

Mrs Redboots
11-15-2006, 06:31 AM
Back XO - hold hard BI edge - change to hard BO edge with free leg behind - bring free foot in front to do opposite direction back XO - repeat. (Grind to halt on toepicks! :P )That sounds totally impossible - please don't tell my coach about it or he might make me have a go! But excellent, I should imagine, for getting one's weight and hips in the right place.

Wish to remember (I think): So there we were, doing continuous cross-rolls in Foxtrot hold, when I became aware that all was not as it should be with his eyeline.

"Stop looking at my feet!" say I.

"I'm not looking at your feet," says he. "I'm looking at your behind!"

Collapse of both of us when he realised what he'd said - his concern, apparently, had not been for my beautiful (ahem!) arse, but he thought I was leaning forwards too much.

In my solo lesson we worked on the end pattern of the Fiesta, the level 3 dance moves and back inside swing rolls, and the mantra seemed to be "drop your hips!" I showed him my Field-moves-style back inside edges, which are fast and good, and he reckoned it was because I can keep my hips fairly level in it, so he made me work the swing rolls (which I wanted to do anyway) to help me get the feeling for dropping my hip, which apparently is the main fault in all the bits I am having trouble with. I think I see what it is supposed to feel like, and how am I supposed to get that with a Husband hanging on to my other hand in the Fiesta?

Hope to forget: His comments on my dance moves, which were not complimentary. Oh well.... Plus the Swing Dance Husband and I did together, which was frightful.

Skittl1321
11-15-2006, 07:00 AM
Wish to Remember Suprisingly, one footed spins. I got around quite a few times going into them on a hockey glide. There were very few spins that I wasn't able to get around at least once or twice on a hockey glide or two foot spin entrance. They weren't good spins, but they were spinning- and that's never happened before. The instructor probably thinks I'm a nut, because after the lesson and all the hugs by 7 and 8 year olds I asked if I could hug her. I've never spun before!!!

Hope to Forget Why are my right to left mohawks so pitiful? My left to right ones aren't terrible (from a stand still, a little worse moving, but doable)- I have to put so much thought into which direction I'm going and if I have any speed at all on the R to L it doesn't happen. :(

Mrs Redboots
11-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Hope to Forget Why are my right to left mohawks so pitiful? My left to right ones aren't terrible (from a stand still, a little worse moving, but doable)- I have to put so much thought into which direction I'm going and if I have any speed at all on the R to L it doesn't happen. :(Shoulders! Make sure you are bringing forward the shoulder and facing into the circle (assuming you're doing FI Mohawks); you can't do it if you're square on.

Petlover
11-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Things to Remember: Absolutely centered, 6+ revolution one foot spin this morning, several times!

Things to Forget: Coach wants me to do a salchow off of a swing choctaw, soooo not happening this morning.

Tessa
11-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Things to remember -- forward and backward power perimeter stroking -- coming along, edge pulls!

Things to forget -- 3s in the field. Did not even make it to 5-step mohawk today.

icedancer2
11-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Hope to forget:
Told my coach today that I have been feeling blue lately and not even wanting to skate at all. I am feeling no affect whatsoever about the holiday show coming up and considered not even skating in it. *sigh*. I went to my kickboxing class this evening and feel a little better. I will need to wait a little before making such a drastic decision to not participate in the holiday show. My program seems so uninteresting because I don't think I can do very many "advanced" or "impressive" things that would go with the music (LOVE -Nat King Cole). We even debated using my FS3 technical solo as "plan B". :giveup:

You'd better not quit, especially after I promised to take my Bronze Moves with you!!!!!!

It's great that you are skating to LOVE by Nat King Cole -- one of my favorite all-time skating pieces!!

Wish to remember: What it was like to skate well on clean, good ice.;)

dbny
11-15-2006, 02:24 PM
That sounds totally impossible - please don't tell my coach about it or he might make me have a go! But excellent, I should imagine, for getting one's weight and hips in the right place.

I think you have to do a power pull to get onto that BO edge. There is an exercise on the PSA MIF tapes that alternates B pulls with B cross strokes which I can do, but the transitional pull is always from BO.

I once again woke up too late today to get to the rink, but since younger DD called from Japan with worrisome medical symptoms, I was glad to be home for her. If I don't get to practice tomorrow, I'll just be throwing away my lesson fee on Friday :x.

doubletoe
11-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Dbny, is your daughter okay? Sounds like it must have been the middle of the night her time when she called.

HOPE TO REMEMBER
- The great camel-sit at the beginning of my program! (Please don't go away again!)
- The gorgeous flying camel-back sit I did in my lesson
- That I got thiiiis || close to a full split (on my "bad" side!) when I was stretching on the floor after this morning's skate!

WISH TO FORGET
- That the great camel-sit at the beginning of my program was supposed to be a camel-sit/reverse scratch . . .
- That I sat down on the ice at the end of the "gorgeous" flying camel-back sit because I tried to hold the back sit too long, LOL!
- That my program run-through had a botched lutz combination, no flying camel and no axel or double salchow. :roll:

aussieskater
11-15-2006, 06:09 PM
I think you have to do a power pull to get onto that BO edge. There is an exercise on the PSA MIF tapes that alternates B pulls with B cross strokes which I can do, but the transitional pull is always from BO.

I once again woke up too late today to get to the rink, but since younger DD called from Japan with worrisome medical symptoms, I was glad to be home for her. If I don't get to practice tomorrow, I'll just be throwing away my lesson fee on Friday :x.

dbny - I do hope your daughter's OK. Being overseas when you're not well is awful.

Yes, as far as I can tell, that diabolical exercise does need part of a back power pull to change the edge, and while you're doing it the free leg comes from the under-cross position to behind you but toe pointed outwards (ie: open the free hip), all as you rise up in the skating leg, ready to re-bend for the other-direction back XO. At least, that's what the coach did - and very nice it looked too.

Now as to what it looked like (and sounded like!) when the class was murdering it :P ... the only one who got it was a Junior level dancer in her youth - and she has the enviable ability to make all this stuff look graceful and extended in 3/4 length capri pants with brown boots hanging off the bottom!

Morgail
11-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Wish to Remember: I kinda like Bronze Moves. They're a lot more fun and cover far more ice than PB Moves. Did really well with the forward perimeter crossover pattern today. And I think I finally understand the 5-step mohawk pattern.

Hope to Forget: Argh...I have NO rhythm or counting talent for dance. My Dutch Waltz is like 1,2,3,...4...,5,6....1...2...3,4,5...6...blah. :frus: And I had some problems with stepping forward onto on outside edge for the Power 3s for Bronze Moves. The pattern is too similar to the Pre-Bronze 3-turn pattern, which required stepping forward onto an inside edge.

Rusty Blades
11-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Hope to Forget: It seems I paid for all my silliness last night with VERY sore knees tonight! They felt like I had climbed the stairs of a very tall building - more than once! At least my coach got some mileage out of it - “Dianne can’t boogie all night anymore!”

Stroking and edges were the only things working with the sore knees so I spent my session on edges and stroking, both back and forward, mainly getting the toe picks out of my forward strokes! I always have to work on the stretch for the left foot glide to!

I swear my coach must have been watching me do outside edges because the first thing she asked for was forward insides! (How do they always seem to know what you HAVEN'T been practicing!)

Wish to remember: I did manage to figure out how to get the toe pick scrape out of my forward strokes and correcting the push gave more speed. (Great! Speed is one thing I DON'T need!) Nice quiet stroking now (when I pay attention).

dbny
11-15-2006, 10:23 PM
Doubletoe & Aussieskater - thanks for asking. Unfortunately, we have lots of experience with her being sick while in a foreign country. The first symptoms she told me about brought something very nasty to mind and totally freaked me out to the point that I don't even want to say what it was. However, upon lots of googling, and further details, I was able to rule out it out. I sent her info on the doctors in Kyoto and Osaka who take our insurance, and she said she is going tomorrow, but maybe with a friend who is going to a different doctor. To which I said - just go, don't worry about the money! She's been staying up most of the night, which I don't like, but can do nothing about.

Sk8pdx
11-15-2006, 11:28 PM
You'd better not quit, especially after I promised to take my Bronze Moves with you!!!!!!

It's great that you are skating to LOVE by Nat King Cole -- one of my favorite all-time skating pieces!!

Wish to remember: What it was like to skate well on clean, good ice.;)

No, I'm not giving up entirely. just pondering scratching the holiday show all together. I am completely undecided and unmotivated. :roll:

yes, we will still be testing Bronze MIF in January and passing.:bow: I pinky swear. :P

jazzpants
11-16-2006, 01:10 AM
No, I'm not giving up entirely. just pondering scratching the holiday show all together. I am completely undecided and unmotivated. :roll:

yes, we will still be testing Bronze MIF in January and passing.:bow: I pinky swear. :PGOOD!!! I hold you two on that promise and expect a report with test notes!!! :twisted:

Funny thing... my coaches does NOT want me doing Christmas shows!!! They want me competing. :twisted: I tried correcting them in saying I want to do the Christmas show and they REPEATED that "Yes, you are doing Skate San Francisco." 8O (Ooooohkay!!! I got the hint!!! :lol: )

Sk8pdx: Why not see what happens the next time you go skating? Maybe you'll get your mojo back??? And remember, this is a local rink's Christmas show, NOT Stars On Ice!!! Go out there and do the best program you can. The rest will follow...

SkatingOnClouds
11-16-2006, 02:09 AM
Wish to Remember:

after a long absence, my spins were centred last night. I couldn't believe it, right from the first spin I tried. Yay! Then my toe-loop-/loop combo was working pretty well, and even my loop on its own, for a change. I even did what felt like a passable flip.

Worked on my program for the upcoming artistic comp, learned most of it now, which is just as well, only 3 more lessons before the comp.

Because I have a weird habit on sit spins, I don't open my arms out on entry, this meant I can hold my bullfighter cape as I spin, which is kinda cool.

Prefer to Forget:

After an hour of skating, I thought I'd better have a rest before my lesson. When I got back on ice, I couldn't do anything. None of the above-mentioned things that were going well, nothing.

the rest of my flip attempts.

kateskate
11-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Wish to remember
Field moves are so much better. I may actually pass this one - as long as I concentrate. Coach was pleased with them.

I can't seem to do axels moving anymore but they are half decent from a standstill and bizarrely in programme run throughs (from moving)!

Did a few good spins too! And spinning ain't my thing - change foot sit, flying camel and layback all felt nice :D

Hope to forget
Lutzes have gone weird. I seem to like waving my left arm above my head (I'm a CW jumping). And axels are just :frus: I seem to enjoy waving in these as well.

Double mohawk step will be the sticking point in my test - still a little too flat.

Need to stop breaking at the waist and getting my blade stuck on the brackets.

Weigth transferrence in dances needs work too. I seem to like trying to turn leaning the wrong way. Go figure. I do like to make things hard!

quarkiki2
11-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Hope to forget: Well, due to a raging case of PINK EYE, synchro was an individual event for me last night. I'd been on the antibiotic eye drops for 24 hrs, so I souldn't have been contagious, but I didn't want to chance infecting teammates, so I skated the program solo and off to the side. Helped coach a bit, too.

Team Arthritis
11-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Hope to forget:
my wife decided she was tired of being scared of our bewteen the legs pullthrough, without telling me. So, she grits her skates and skates at my behind at 3x her normal speed. I'm bent over so I see her upside down through my legs and didn't notice her speed. She comes through like a freight train and bowls me over so hard I was seeing stars. Our first pairs fall and not on something hard, just a pullthrough:roll:
Lyle

renatele
11-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Hope to forget:
my wife decided she was tired of being scared of our bewteen the legs pullthrough, without telling me. So, she grits her skates and skates at my behind at 3x her normal speed. I'm bent over so I see her upside down through my legs and didn't notice her speed. She comes through like a freight train and bowls me over so hard I was seeing stars. Our first pairs fall and not on something hard, just a pullthrough:roll:
Lyle

That sounds like a painful fall!

... but ... I just burst out laughing! Your description is too funny!

Team Arthritis
11-16-2006, 12:14 PM

... but ... I just burst out laughing! Your description is too funny!

Yeh it was funny, especially cause it hurt when I laughed8O
only good thing was I was wearing my butt pads to keep my pants up

I can't think of any time I've EVER seen her skate too fast for anything:lol:
Lyle

Isk8NYC
11-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Now who's scared of the pull-through? LOL

Hope to Forget: Missed my Wed evening skate because of family obligations.

Wish to Remember: Did some stretching and exercises - knee feels okay!
Pulled out the old spinner and did a few back spins. I really want to nail this cross-foot spin!

faeriefall
11-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Wish to Remember

the look on my newest skaters face when I showed up at the rink with music for her and mentioned "it's from casper" Apparently she loves the movie! :lol:

Also Axel is back after taking a time out because my arms don't like pulling in...My coach started yelling "Thump!" at me in an effort to get me to try and thump my chest with my hands...and it worked!8O my axel is now fully rotated and only ever so often double footed when my right foot decides it doesn't want to swing round, ah well. Also I can land the axel if I'm talking to someone while I'm jumping, coach thinks that I "think to much" and just need to do the stupid jump (her words not mine):frus:

Flying camel coming along much nicer to. I must remember that "it's basically just a horizontal cartwheel" So I'm getting all the rotation and not doing a salchow camel...:roll:

hope to forget
While coaching canskate one of my PA's comes up to me looking slightly horrified and whispers "Scott just lost his tooth" now this strikes terror into my heart because knowing Scott he very well could of knocked out a big tooth. (This is the child who likes to whiz about the ice at top speeds while running into as many others as he can) Anyway I tell said PA to make sure no one touches the tooth and skate over there after I'd finished dealing with another crises(which was underway when PA came over) When I get there about 2 seconds later a little girl holds out her hand to hand me this tooth. So I had to tell her to go wash her hands(she decided she didn't need mitts to pick it up. I walk scott off the ice and hand him over to his mom(he stopped crying when I mentioned the tooth fairy. He was back on the ice for game time....to show all the other kids the "hole in my face" :roll:

and double loop needs just a 1/4 more rotation...ah well, I'll get Myles to yell at me, that normally works because then I get pissed with him and do it just to prove to him I can...That is if he doesn't sit on me and squish the air out of my lungs again....:giveup:

Isk8NYC
11-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Now, this strikes terror into my heart because knowing Scott he very well could of knocked out a big tooth. I'm assuming it was a baby tooth? (My DD lost one yesterday at school and was heartbroken that no one made a fuss over her. My older daughter clued me in beforehand, so I fussed to make up for it! The Tooth Fairy brought her usual half-dollar coin.)

LilJen
11-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Hope to Remember:

dd came with me skating yesterday, so I didn't get much practicing in. Just as well since I hadn't been skating in nearly 2 weeks (hockey skaters taking over the rink, through this weekend). Just as well--landed SPLAT on my rear trying BI edges. Next time must remember: Lots of forward & backward stroking before trying anything else!!

Wish to Forget:

The rink schedule is really designed for school-age kids, not for people *with* school-age kids. . . wish I could get an hour each morning, 'cause it'd be perfect, but I'm guessing the rink wouldn't find it "economically feasible." Unless I paid an arm and a leg for the ice time, which I can't!!

Mrs Redboots
11-16-2006, 02:14 PM

... but ... I just burst out laughing! Your description is too funny!So did I. Husband won't even try a pull-through, and the looks anxious if I even suggest such a thing.... maybe if I buy him a cricket box..... but your wife must be more flexible than I am, as I'm quite sure I could never get up again if I tried!

doubletoe
11-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Lutzes have gone weird. I seem to like waving my left arm above my head (I'm a CW jumping).

Hey, I do that too, LOL! Maybe we should just raise that left arm up with flair and explain that we are doing "a more difficult variation, Brian Boitano's famous 'Tano lutz." :lol:

WeirFan06
11-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Funny thing... my coaches does NOT want me doing Christmas shows!!! They want me competing. :twisted: I tried correcting them in saying I want to do the Christmas show and they REPEATED that "Yes, you are doing Skate San Francisco." 8O (Ooooohkay!!! I got the hint!!! :lol: )

Jazzpants... Just tell them "Hey, I am a 30-something year old woman, not a six year old child... and if I want to skate in the Christmas show, then I WILL skate in the Christmas show! And you will like it!" :D That's what I do anyway... though I say I'm a 20-something year old woman. Because I am. Hope you had a nice lesson today.

doubletoe
11-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Jazzpants... Just tell them "Hey, I am a 30-something year old woman, not a six year old child... and if I want to skate in the Christmas show, then I WILL skate in the Christmas show! And you will like it!" :D That's what I do anyway... though I say I'm a 20-something year old woman. Because I am. Hope you had a nice lesson today.

I'm kind of surprised, too, Jazzpants. My coach wants me to get in front of an audience as often as possible, even if it's just a recital!

Team Arthritis
11-16-2006, 04:27 PM
So did I. Husband won't even try a pull-through, and the looks anxious if I even suggest such a thing.... maybe if I buy him a cricket box..... but your wife must be more flexible than I am, as I'm quite sure I could never get up again if I tried!

Getting you up is the guy's job, getting low enough that you don't stick your face in his rear is your job:twisted:

The timing that works the best for us is wife skates up and pushes me on my back, I rise up straight pretending to be suprised then bend down with the back of my hands touching but thumbs pushing out. Wife uses this time to back away a little then take 2 strokes at me and goes down on a LOW shoot the duck while grabbing my hands. Thumbs are the most important part - hers up, mine out. Now here is the flexible part - she has to arch her back as I pull her through, face goes UP, then I pull her up as she puts toepicks in a little to scoot up. THe lifter can't do it if your hands are even a foot forewards from his chest, he must pull you up like you are rising from a backbend right up his front. As you come up you pull forewards with your toes - if they shoot out - down you'll go.

Try it on a wood floor - guy in sneakers you in socks. we've been playing with our stuff on the hardwood and it really helps:lol:
Lyle

jazzpants
11-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Jazzpants... Just tell them "Hey, I am a 30-something year old woman, not a six year old child... and if I want to skate in the Christmas show, then I WILL skate in the Christmas show! And you will like it!" :D That's what I do anyway... though I say I'm a 20-something year old woman. Because I am. Hope you had a nice lesson today.AHHHH!!! But you see... my primary (your secondary) coach's thing with performance is... unless you're competing, you NEVER, EVER PAY to perform. You either do it for free or they PAY you to perform! My secondary (your primary) coach's thing is... ehhh, you go ask her why she doesn't want me to do Christmas shows. :roll: (Said something about allow other skaters get their turn to do the Christmas show...ummmm, I haven't had a turn at doing solos at Christmas!!! I only did group numbers!!! :twisted: )

Wish to remember:
I had a good lesson overall. Primary coach properly pushed and tortured me with LOTS of jumps and spins and just playing around to see what I could do and what he could *get* me to do... :roll: We're still working on my loop, my flip and now my LUTZ!!! EEEEK!!! 8O We also played around with fallin' leap... which is more like a falling STUMP in my case... :roll:

I've been spared doing back sit for competition for now, though I'm still NOT spared from practicing them!!! :twisted: He is now thinking "back scratch to an attitude spin" for me for now, though he'd prefers I get a camel-sit spin.

Hope to forget:
How primary coach would have me do a RFO spiral and then grabs me and tries to spin me around like a top so I would do a camel spin and almost lost balance and face planted on it??? EEEEK!!!! 8O

How I still don't have a stinkin' loop and if anything it's getting WORSE!!! :frus:

That I really don't have much energy in me this afternoon b/c it's cold and rainy and foggy and my muscles are all stiff.... :cry:

My frustration when my coach says "Where's your music for your new program?" (he didn't ask for it!) and then when I suggested a piece he immediately shot it down. (Alright! Agreed! Forrest Gump is way overplayed!!!) He then said "Something LIVELY this time! Let's get out of the slow New Age-ish theme!!!" :twisted: GREAAAAAT!!! Just GREAAAAT!!! :roll: (Sorry! No John Tesh either!!!)

(Okay, I'll pick something else... :giveup: I do have something I've been holding off for when I actually HAVE good footwork!!! TOP SEKRET 'til either I perform it or Jay shots that deal down too!!!) ;)

Sk8pdx
11-17-2006, 01:21 AM
GOOD!!! I hold you two on that promise and expect a report with test notes!!! :twisted:

Sk8pdx: Why not see what happens the next time you go skating? Maybe you'll get your mojo back??? And remember, this is a local rink's Christmas show, NOT Stars On Ice!!! Go out there and do the best program you can. The rest will follow...

:bow: Thank you so much, Jazz! You are totally right. That is just what I needed. I can always count on you for a little nudge of encouragement. :lol:

I am going to Seattle early tomorrow to see the Pac Coast Sectionals this weekend. I am taking a little break from skating on my own to watch other skaters perform. That too may be enough to give me a little more inspiration. Plus getting to see Casey and some of my other skating friends will make the trip all the more merrier.:D

WeirFan06
11-17-2006, 02:02 AM
AHHHH!!! But you see... my primary (your secondary) coach's thing with performance is... unless you're competing, you NEVER, EVER PAY to perform. You either do it for free or they PAY you to perform!

Oh right! Who is going to pay a couple of bronze adult skaters to perform??!! Champions on Ice hasn't exactly been banging down my door anytime recently! I just like to perform... WITHOUT the stress of competition. So if I have to pay a little to have some fun with low stress, I'll usually do it. That's what you can tell him!! Or I will. Maybe over Thanksgiving dinner after he's too stuffed to argue. I'll just get that irritated eye rolly thing he does. We should definitely do the Christmas show next year. Just sayin' :D

Thin-Ice
11-17-2006, 03:35 AM
Primary coach properly pushed and tortured me with LOTS of jumps (snip).... 8O We also played around with fallin' leap...

LOVED this typo... ALL my "leaps" are fallen... when I get enough air underneath me to consider a jump a leap, I have a hard time controlling the landing and end up sitting on the ice. And who in his/her right mind thought ANYTHING to do with skating should have the word "fall" in its name????8O

jazzpants
11-17-2006, 03:41 AM
Oh right! Who is going to pay a couple of bronze adult skaters to perform??!! Champions on Ice hasn't exactly been banging down my door anytime recently! I just like to perform... WITHOUT the stress of competition. Yeah, I know what you mean. Neither has Stars On Ice for me either...never mind the people who PRODUCES our Christmas shows either! :roll: Maybe my skating sucks too much for a skating show and I'm too old and not cute enough to go wigglin' around on ice with my coach!!! LOL!!! :twisted: :P :lol: (Just watch! There's always at least a toddler or two in the show doing that with!!! And of course, that kid has to be ADORABLE!!!)

It's okay though... this year, after running thru two major skating tests in one year, I think a break from ANYTHING is well deserved (and needed...) 8-)

So if I have to pay a little to have some fun with low stress, I'll usually do it. That's what you can tell him!! Or I will. Maybe over Thanksgiving dinner after he's too stuffed to argue. I'll just get that irritated eye rolly thing he does. We should definitely do the Christmas show next year. Just sayin' :DOh, THAT look!!! LOL!!! Don't worry, I gave him that look back this afternoon! You tell him that... I sure would LOVE to hear about his response!!! LOL!!!

Totally OT: He's making Thanksgiving dinner and you're invited??? I'm jealous (considering I know how good a cook he is!) :twisted: Then again, I already had plans with some old friends of mine too and their spread is pretty decent too. Tell him to wrap up some of his leftover turkey and stuffing and bring some for me for Monday night!!! :yum: :lol:

Isk8NYC
11-17-2006, 04:02 AM
AHHHH!!! But you see... my primary (your secondary) coach's thing with performance is... unless you're competing, you NEVER, EVER PAY to perform. You either do it for free or they PAY you to perform! Stars, Stripes and Skates is 9/11 charity that hosts an huge annual skating show. They have open auditions for skaters, charging a $50 audition fee. Selected skaters have to raise pledge monies as well. The show is held in an arena, there are some big-name skaters in addition to the kids who audition.

Maybe anyone who auditions gets in, I'm not sure. I just can't imagine "donating" $50 for an audition and then having your skater get turned down, though.

Mrs Redboots
11-17-2006, 07:00 AM
Getting you up is the guy's job, getting low enough that you don't stick your face in his rear is your job:twisted: Yeah, and that's the hard bit! And it's not my face in his rear he worries about, but the top of my head somewhere else....

Try it on a wood floor - guy in sneakers you in socks. we've been playing with our stuff on the hardwood and it really helps:lol:
LyleHmmm..... that would have to be in the corridors of our building, and it echoes..... I can see faces popping out the door of all the other flats on our corridor to see what on earth was going on! Might try it, though, and thanks for the tips.

Meanwhile, the issues today were mainly about hips.

Wish to remember: Good practice with Husband, especially doing swings and chasses to the Golden Waltz music, which was great fun. Plan to do that a lot, in various holds.

Hope to forget: Couples spin pretty dire, as were runs round the circle in Reverse Kilian hold. Also Fiesta Tango end pattern still not working right.

In solo practice, I could not get my left hip underneath me to do clockwise back crossovers. Nor could I do my cross-cuts. A passing coach yelled, "No wonder you can't do them, you're not bending your knees!", but when I try to get down low enough, I lurch forwards and straight on to the toepicks. I think I have problems bending my knees when going backwards, full stop.

blue111moon
11-17-2006, 07:47 AM
Back on the ice last night for the first time in three weeks - bronchitis is still an issue but not as bad as I feared it would be, probably because the warm weather made the rink air not so frigid as is the norm.

So all things considered, I did fine. A little shaky and there was no spring in the jump leg at all but I'm content to just be able to move without gasping. And the spins were surprisingly centered. I wonder where that came from?

Team Arthritis
11-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Back on the ice last night for the first time in three weeks - bronchitis is still an issue but not as bad as I feared it would be, probably because the warm weather made the rink air not so frigid as is the norm.

So all things considered, I did fine. A little shaky and there was no spring in the jump leg at all but I'm content to just be able to move without gasping. And the spins were surprisingly centered. I wonder where that came from?
Bad bronchitis ripping through our rink too. Glad you are back at it.

FWIW a new study just came out - other than hand washing the only thing ever proven to prevent headcolds is exercise atleast 3d a week. (Yeah us!)

Another study was trying to prove that Iceskaters were abusing inhalers because 8% of skaters self report having asthma where only 3-5% of age matched general population has asthma. Study found that on any given day 30% of ALL people ON the ice were having asthmatic bronchoconstrictions. 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
No wonder its so hard. Basicly if you hear someone have a persistant dry cough while skating then that person very likely is having bronchoconstriction and may benefit from an inhaler. (Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now)
Lyle

jazzpants
11-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Stars, Stripes and Skates is 9/11 charity that hosts an huge annual skating show. They have open auditions for skaters, charging a $50 audition fee. Selected skaters have to raise pledge monies as well. The show is held in an arena, there are some big-name skaters in addition to the kids who audition.

Maybe anyone who auditions gets in, I'm not sure. I just can't imagine "donating" $50 for an audition and then having your skater get turned down, though.Never mind where the money is really going to... if the audition fee is strictly going towards the show's production, I probably wouldn't be happy about it. But if it was going towards the 9/11 charity, then I probably would be okay about it.

Team Arthritis
11-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Hmmm..... that would have to be in the corridors of our building, and it echoes..... I can see faces popping out the door of all the other flats on our corridor to see what on earth was going on! Might try it, though, and thanks for the tips.

I can't get this image out of my head:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lyle

Hannahclear
11-17-2006, 05:03 PM
What do I wish to remember? My axel, landed in the harness on one foot. Just a tad cheated. Getting stronger and stronger. I want to remember to TRANSFER that feeling to when we take the harness off. My coach worked on it for a good 20 minutes today, alternating between on and off. I landed a cheated one foot axel right as the buzzer went off, so that was good.

Hope to forget......missing two out of three spins in my program. Stepped out of back camel without back sit and fell out of forward sit on the change to back sit. Blah. Rest of program was fairly respectable though. I did land all of the jump attempts and footwork is much better.

Amandaskategirl
11-18-2006, 01:51 AM
Wish to remember:
- my spins were a little better this week. Camel spins and sit-change-sit were spinning a little bit rather than turning.
- Single jump combinations felt ok. Especially flip-half loop-flip-half loop-flip.

Hope to forget:
- attempts at axels were dire! I think that I have forgotten everything that I have ever learnt on this jump. The timing has gone, the entrance is too round, I am swinging my free leg wide, not crossing my legs tight enough or pulling in. All wrong! I don’t think I have the motivation to work on each of these things again.
- Change foot walley the wrong way – to me this feels impossible. I cannot comprehend how I am supposed to jump from that inside edge. I have a bit of a mental block with this.

kateskate
11-18-2006, 06:42 AM
Wish to remember
My compulsories felt a lot better today. There was no feet kicking or shoulders in the wrong place. And teacher said it felt like we were skating together :D

Field moves felt a lot better too. Teacher said I will be fine. If only I could believe that too. I think they will be fine as long as I concentrate all the time!

And we decided on tango music :D

Hope to forget
Axels are funny. And annoying. And I am not driving through and going up! Grrrrr.
Need to make sure I don't leave my hips behind me on the double forward inside 3s.
Was doing turny drag thingys with arm movements and that really showed up my inability to coordinate arms and feet AGAIN. Will I ever beable to do this?

kateskate
11-18-2006, 06:46 AM
Hey, I do that too, LOL! Maybe we should just raise that left arm up with flair and explain that we are doing "a more difficult variation, Brian Boitano's famous 'Tano lutz." :lol:

Exactly - I'm going for difficult variations!

I've been shown jumping exercises where you are supposed to lift your arms above your head - supposed to be harder or something - but I need no encouragement to do that - I need exercises to stop doing that.

Morgail
11-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Wish to Remember:
-I got my loop back! I actually landed several without touching down with my free foot8-)
-Salchows felt nice, controlled, and big today
-I think I have the timing & arm positions down for the power 3s.
-I did the Canasta Tango on count (at least to the count in my head).
-I did two sit spins where I went so low that I ended up on my rear:lol: Hoping that will help with having nice low sit spins sometime in the future...

Hope to Forget:
-the bazillion kids at the rink today
-my very stiff 5 step Mohawk pattern
-the transitions in the power 3s
-my traveling scratch spin
-my wild, two-footed flip jumps
-all sit spin attempts after the first two

Rusty Blades
11-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Hope To Forget: I still have to work on left foot glides to get them as solid and pretty as the right and to keep that #%$@% right hip back!

Coach says I NEED my LFI Mohawks for my footwork sequence (translation: GET TO WORK ON THEM!)

I decided my current music wasn’t “right” for me this week so I went through all the music I had considered and listened to them all again and again.

Wish To Remember: About the 4th time through my music collection, one piece started to choreograph itself in my head and I could get the flavour of how it could be done. Ok, the tempo is slow enough for me and my primitive skills but it has a bit of a swing, which is good, it’s a bit corny (but so am I) so I can include a little silliness in my routine, and it fits the venue and it fits my personality. I suggested it to my coach, expecting a bit of a negative reception, but she liked it, said it fits. WAHOO! Going to put it on a CD and we start working with it Wednesday to see how it develops.

I didn’t work on anything new today but spent the 2:30 trying to smooth and polish my existing repertoire (such as it is), working for smooth flow, nice body position and smooth transitions from move to move - basically focusing on everything EXCEPT my feet. Also the forward stroking sans toe pick is working nicely.

mikawendy
11-18-2006, 04:42 PM

Me, too--I noticed it on video--my arms were way up in the air for my loop jump. I had never realized it, either, until seeing that video!

TimDavidSkate
11-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Hope to forget:
Entry for November 18, 2006

I went to my birthrink today. I skated from 10:35 to 11:25. Thankfully I found an insole lying around and stuffed it on my left skate and things started to feel normal again. I got through all my jumps including the lutz/loop/loop that eluded me at halloween! :frus:

{Off note: I felt like I was back to square one jumping at halloween, even my maneuver event when I had to do an easy loop/loop, I felt so wobbly. All my landings during my program felt weak and insecure, ugh, I wish I can do it all over again}

Anyways, back to skating today, I tried to do a camel spin and nothing worked out. I couldnt feel my body getting into position for the camel. It had a mind of its own. I figure tomorrow will be better. My second planned session at 1:05 my left skate was bothering me again. I was able to bite it up the a flip jump, but my left foot kept getting numb. So after tying and re-tying for 3 times, I gave up at 1:25 and decided to go home.

Mercedeslove
11-18-2006, 11:28 PM
I haven't really be able to practice much and all. I've been on the road for work.

Though today i did get sometime in. In a place I have always dreamed about. I skated at Rockefeller Center. It was crowded and I really couldn't do much. But when i took the ice I got all teary eyed. I have wanted to come here for a very long time. This was y first time and OMG.

I also went to Bryant park. I got to skate with New York ranger Adam Graves, of the '94 Stanley cup team. That was cool.

So that is my skating joy for this week I had to share with someone.

vesperholly
11-19-2006, 01:24 AM
Hope to forget: I failed my Junior MIF on Friday. :cry:

The crossovers and rockers went well, but then I put my foot down on the power pull-quick rockers (my most unsteady move) and they lost a lot of speed. The choctaws weren't as smooth as usual. I was pretty nervous because I really wanted to pass on the first try, I had been working my butt off and I really thought I could do it. I had an awesome warmup, too.

I was disappointed I didn't get a reskate, but oh well - the power pulls just came together a few weeks ago so a little more time wouldn't hurt. :giveup: I'm going to try them again in January.

Wish to remember: Er...nothing from this week.

looplover
11-19-2006, 07:38 AM
Though today i did get sometime in. In a place I have always dreamed about. I skated at Rockefeller Center. It was crowded and I really couldn't do much. But when i took the ice I got all teary eyed. I have wanted to come here for a very long time. This was y first time and OMG.

I also went to Bryant park. I got to skate with New York ranger Adam Graves, of the '94 Stanley cup team. That was cool.

So that is my skating joy for this week I had to share with someone.

I know what you mean! I will be in NYC next week doing my annual skate the Wollman Rink Freestyle on Tuesday, and might go to Bryant as well. I get teary eyed at Wollman! (the crowds at Rockefeller make me teary eyed in a different way)

renatele
11-19-2006, 08:12 AM

Sorry you got a retry... But you WILL pass next time.

Right now I can only dream of skating like you ;)

sk8pics
11-19-2006, 08:53 AM

Aw, I'm sorry you didn't pass on the first try like you wanted to, but it sounds like you'll do fine with just a little more practice. Hey, at least you didn't fall and break something. ;)

Mrs Redboots
11-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Hope to forget: I failed my Junior MIF on Friday. :cry:Oh, that is miserable for you! Better luck next time.

jazzpants
11-20-2006, 12:26 AM
Hope to forget: I failed my Junior MIF on Friday. :cry:AWWWW, man! That SUCKS!!!! :cry:

Keep working at it! Sounds like you're REAL close... 8-)