View Full Version : Competition vs Test Dresses

newskaker5
11-10-2006, 01:59 PM
I have noticed some people mention "test" dresses vs a competitive dress. What is the difference? Is a test dress just more casual? Can someone where a more "fancy" dress to a test session? (not that I do either of these yet - just curious!)

doubletoe
11-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Your understanding is correct. A test dress is more casual than a competition dress, although many skaters wear their competition dresses if their test program is also their competition program.

Debbie S
11-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Generally, judges like to see conservative attire for MIF tests, meaning dresses w/o a lot of stones and glitz - but scattered stones here and there are fine. For an FS test where a program is involved (anything higher than Pre-Bronze or Pre-Prelim), as doubletoe said, a skater would obviously wear their program dress. In that case, it's fine to be sparkly. :)

For MIF tests, many skaters also wear a sweater over their dress and/or gloves. I've also seen skaters wear separates (skirt and some top with or w/o a sweater), as long as it looks OK (no T-shirts hanging out, etc). I even saw a skater wear pants once for an MIF test (Pre-Prelim), which is allowed, and she passed, so I don't think the judge got hung up over her attire.

I did see a comment at the bottom of someone's Prelim MIF test paper recently where the judge suggested the skater (who passed) clean her skates (they were a bit dirty and scuffed).

jazzpants
11-11-2006, 01:10 AM
Generally, judges like to see conservative attire for MIF tests, meaning dresses w/o a lot of stones and glitz - but scattered stones here and there are fine. For an FS test where a program is involved (anything higher than Pre-Bronze or Pre-Prelim), as doubletoe said, a skater would obviously wear their program dress. In that case, it's fine to be sparkly. :)For my moves tests, I wear my standard black camisole dress with a long sleeve ballet top over it. Makes me look more "ballerina"-ish!

My primary coach actually asked me what I was going to wear for my FS test. (I know.. very strange talking to a guy about clothes. Even stranger having him ask me first about it!!! Then again, we are talking about a guy who's VERY conscious about one's physical appearance. :lol: :P ) He suggested that I just go and wear my MIF test. But I thought about it and said "You know...there's gotta be a reason why all these kiddie skaters come to test in their competition outfit. I think I'm gonna go a little glitzy!!!" (I DID wear a DIFFERENT competition dress in than what I normally wear for this number though.)

Good move! It helped boost the presentation scores and the judge in charge complemented me on a "lovely dress" as soon as I came out!!! OMG!!! I am SOOOOO HONORED, sir!!! :bow:

I did see a comment at the bottom of someone's Prelim MIF test paper recently where the judge suggested the skater (who passed) clean her skates (they were a bit dirty and scuffed).Oh, now THAT is interesting!!! :lol:

Mrs Redboots
11-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Here, where there is no requirement to pass one test before you take another (on the same level, obviously), many, if not most skaters wear their competition outfits for both Elements and Free, and for Moves if they are testing it on the same day. Dancers usually change into specific free dance and/or original dance dresses, but not invariably, and do keep the same dress between compulsory dances (there are normally two dances in each test, which are tested at the same time, and must both be passed).

TaBalie
11-11-2006, 11:54 AM
I am just going to wear nice black skate pants and a nice black sweater (maybe cashmere) for my 4 tests next month. I asked my coach what to wear and she suggested that, and said I definitely didn't need a dress.

I think if you are competing and already have a great costume, by all mean wear it! But otherwise, just looking pulled together (no tshirts, etc) is perfect for testing.

SDFanatic
11-13-2006, 11:56 AM
I did see a comment at the bottom of someone's Prelim MIF test paper recently where the judge suggested the skater (who passed) clean her skates (they were a bit dirty and scuffed).

Good move! It helped boost the presentation scores and the judge in charge complemented me on a "lovely dress" as soon as I came out!!! OMG!!! I am SOOOOO HONORED, sir!!!

I've seen coaches that refuse to let their skaters skate to certain music or wear certain colors because they know some of the judges dislike such things.

I've even heard of skaters getting deducted for wearing their warmups, gloves, boot covers, OTB tights, and pants (even though pants are allowed)

Sure wearing something nice is a plus, but are not the scores based on skating, especialy MIF tests and the like where control and quality is forefront and not what one is wearing?

Steven (who has never seen a scoring column at tests or competions named "attire")

Mrs Redboots
11-13-2006, 12:35 PM
I've even heard of skaters getting deducted for wearing their warmups, gloves, boot covers, OTB tights, and pants (even though pants are allowed)

Sure wearing something nice is a plus, but are not the scores based on skating, especialy MIF tests and the like where control and quality is forefront and not what one is wearing?

Steven (who has never seen a scoring column at tests or competions named "attire")It's all part of the mysterious thing called "presentation". One skater failed a test and the "last straw" as far as the judges were concerned, that tipped the balance between a pass and a retry, was that her underwear was showing. At that level, the judges felt, she should have outgrown that sort of elementary error.

skaternum
11-13-2006, 01:13 PM
I've seen coaches that refuse to let their skaters skate to certain music or wear certain colors because they know some of the judges dislike such things.

Yes, which is why the urban myths about deductions or low scores for attire are usually bull. In my experience, the people claiming they got dinged for their attire are usually reaching for an excuse to explain why they justifiably didn't pass. And some people equate advice from judges with criticism that was reflected in the marks. A judge might suggest a better color for a skater on the ice or different music, but that doesn't necessarily mean they marked the skater down because of it. I've never seen a judge punish a skater for what the skater is wearing. I have, however, seen some bad skating fail.

jazzpants
11-13-2006, 01:46 PM
It's all part of the mysterious thing called "presentation". One skater failed a test and the "last straw" as far as the judges were concerned, that tipped the balance between a pass and a retry, was that her underwear was showing. At that level, the judges felt, she should have outgrown that sort of elementary error.Maybe I should be more clear... my dress did help me to present my lines better but *I* as a skater STILL have to present that body line. So SDFanatic, I wouldn't be so quick to say that the judges passed me b/c of my dress.

Also, the presentation is NOT JUST the body line of the skater, since I probably have THE WORST line for a skater. (I'm probably the "Mira Leung" of Adult Bronze FS level in that dept. :twisted: :lol: ) But those who have seen me skate also know that I have good flow and speed, as well as enough "sureness"/confidence in the overall skating that they thought that I should pass this Bronze FS test. ALL of that is NOT based on what dress I wear. (And BTW, since I brought up Mira Leung, I DID wear OTB tights too, but they were neat, clean, don't have holes in them, and CERTAINLY did NOT show any granny panties!!!) :lol:

Isk8NYC
11-13-2006, 02:08 PM
I will say one thing about color. I've taken a number of classes on presentation and public speaking. In every one of those course, they've mentioned that blue is the best color to wear to a first meeting. There's some psychology behind it, blue being perceived as a "warm" and "friendly" color. That perception transfers to the instructor/seminar leader.

I think that, at least for first impressions, blue is the best. In skating, black is a very common color for clothing and is acceptable too.

Is wearing a blue dress going to make you pass with high test scores? No.
But the judges might be kinder and gentler towards you, easing your nervousness, allowing you to skate better. No guarantees.

When I first started competing, a judge told me my skirt was too short. I immediately added three inches onto my patterns because she was right! (I saw the pictures, too. Uggh.)

The "clean your skates" note is interesting. Staid, older judges probably consider a test session to be a semi-formal occasion meriting clean skates/tights/etc. I have never thought about that before, being a pretty casual dresser myself. (ETA: I always "dress up" for tests/competitions, even as a coach and I ask my students to do the same. Just never thought about it before.) What's funny is that, at a seminar last week, one of the other coaches remarked that my skates looked new. Looking at my five-year old skates, I can't imagine why she said that - I've got spots where the beige paint's been skinned off, there are numerous scratches and cuts. The blades have "track marks" from the hard guards. I wonder if it was a putdown and I didn't get it! LOL

Mel On Ice
11-13-2006, 02:09 PM
my coach made me wear over the boot tights for my MIF test so the judges wouldn't see the synchro scuffs. She also insisted on a plain dress, but made sure I wore a dress. Her explanation was it made it easier for the judge to evaluate my carriage and line.

Since I am now a judge myself, I have agree with that and more. I want to see kids properly dressed so they respect the process and the importance testing has in the sport. If you want the judges to take you seriously, you don't come to the rink dressed in a dirty Ambercrombie and Fitch t-shirt and holey tights.

Rusty Blades
11-13-2006, 02:29 PM
I have had some discussion with my coach over the past couple of months on "the psychology of judging". She has 50 years experience as a competitive skater, judge, and coach, so I give her opinions a lot of weight.

A key psychological element is "first impression" - if you look like a strong, "together" skater and look sharp the first moment the judge sees you, the judge will be thinking "This person looks like they know what they're doing!" and you will be judged in a favourable light (Even if the judge isn't aware they are doing it).

If the judge's fist sight of you is hunched over, skating like a rag doll out to your starting position in disheveled clothing and scuffed boots, they are going to start with a negative impression and be looking for all your mistakes to confirm their suspicion.

Isk8NYC
11-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Dianne - that's a great observation. I know I work my first day of any seminar better if I've got my appearance together - hair,nails,etc. It gives me confidence and makes a good impression as well.

So we're agreed? No untucked, ratty t-shirts or jeans?

jazzpants
11-13-2006, 05:01 PM
So we're agreed? No untucked, ratty t-shirts or jeans?Or granny panties (http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/images/sk8can/sk8can%202006%20leung%20fs.jpg)??? 8O

Rusty Blades
11-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Dianne - that's a great observation.

Yup, that's why I pay my coach the big bucks! (Well, that and putting up with ME! :roll: )

Rusty Blades
11-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Or granny panties???

ROFLMAO!

Oops!

Where the hell was her COACH!!??

jazzpants
11-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Where the hell was her COACH!!??Apparently she was "in-between" coaches (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=297139#post297139)!!! ;)

doubletoe
11-13-2006, 08:03 PM
A key psychological element is "first impression" - if you look like a strong, "together" skater and look sharp the first moment the judge sees you, the judge will be thinking "This person looks like they know what they're doing!" and you will be judged in a favourable light (Even if the judge isn't aware they are doing it).

If the judge's fist sight of you is hunched over, skating like a rag doll out to your starting position in disheveled clothing and scuffed boots, they are going to start with a negative impression and be looking for all your mistakes to confirm their suspicion.

That is my perception as well. I don't think the "right" attire will necessarily help you, but I do believe the "wrong" attire can hurt you.

CaraSkates
11-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Generally, judges like to see conservative attire for MIF tests, meaning dresses w/o a lot of stones and glitz - but scattered stones here and there are fine. For an FS test where a program is involved (anything higher than Pre-Bronze or Pre-Prelim), as doubletoe said, a skater would obviously wear their program dress. In that case, it's fine to be sparkly. :)

For MIF tests, many skaters also wear a sweater over their dress and/or gloves. I've also seen skaters wear separates (skirt and some top with or w/o a sweater), as long as it looks OK (no T-shirts hanging out, etc). I even saw a skater wear pants once for an MIF test (Pre-Prelim), which is allowed, and she passed, so I don't think the judge got hung up over her attire.

OK, I've only taken the Pre-Pre MIF and FS tests (have Prel moves ready to test, watiting till after the next competition to test them). BUT my coach is super picky about what we wear to test in. Either OTB tights or cleaned and polished skates (including laces), simple, flattering dark dresses for MIF tests and hair must be pulled back nicely (most of us with longer hair do a simple bun for testing) and not loose in your face, if wearing jacket/gloves for MIF they must be clean and matching (no dirty white jacket with hot pink gloves!), preferably black. For any freestyle past Pre-Pre either your competition dress or a simple elegant dress. She has most of these requirements for competition too and she does dress up for competition, not so much for tests as the rinks where we tend to test are freezing at 7am. Her biggest thing is looking neat and tidy. If her skaters as a group go to practice at another rink we wear skirts or dresses and tidy hair, no sloppy buns. I find that it helps the way I feel before testing - if I am polished I skate polished, if I dress sloppy I skate sloppy.:)

SDFanatic
11-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Maybe I should be more clear... my dress did help me to present my lines better but *I* as a skater STILL have to present that body line. So SDFanatic, I wouldn't be so quick to say that the judges passed me b/c of my dress.

Sorry, didn't think I implied that either.

Maybe all you girls should be guys? Then you can just wear black skates with ankle length black trousers and a white or purple shirt that covers your chest and arms?

Steven

Mrs Redboots
11-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Maybe all you girls should be guys? Then you can just wear black skates with ankle length black trousers and a white or purple shirt that covers your chest and arms?I believe one could, for free skating and Field Moves, but it's not yet allowed for dance. Meanwhile, I rather envy you men - Husband just has to take along the one pair of trousers (oh help, I must sew them up again before he tests in a fortnight - or make sure he wears black underneath!) and a variety of shirts and tops for a competition, whereas I have to take several different dresses. Well, I don't have to, but you know what I mean.

You should see my coach at a test session, he gets so nervous, fussing around his students like a mother hen: "Right, now, X, gloves off, jacket off....". I rather think the younger ones are required to show him their test dresses before the big day - I know several dresses are circulated among the group, to ring the changes! You say "Nice dress, Y!" to a skater and she's apt to reply, "Yes, it's X's!"

jazzpants
11-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Maybe all you girls should be guys? Then you can just wear black skates with ankle length black trousers and a white or purple shirt that covers your chest and arms?Ummmm... Steven... I guess you know know the story behind my username on this board, huh??? :lol:

To recap: The username is my usual practice wear and this is going WAAAAY back when skaters were still pushing the old fashioned idea that I need to wear skating dresses to be taken seriously as a figure skater. I refuse to conform to wearing something that makes me look either too young or too old or too fat around the hips. Dress designs have changed then and I've managed to find a happy medium now with the skating dress choices and styles (plus a good dressmaker or two ;) ), so I don't feel too conscious about wearing a dress now. But I still wear jazzpants, shirt and PURPLE SKATES to practice!!! ;)

phoenix
11-14-2006, 12:08 PM
I usually wear pants for practice too, it's just easier. Dresses are way more hassle....though I do try to wear them semi-regularly because I think I tend to pay more attention to presentation in them.

I have a student testing pre-pre moves in a few weeks, & she asked to wear pants. I agreed, provided everything looks very neat & professional--but she's bringing the outfit in beforehand for approval. This is a college student who just started skating and she doesn't own any dresses yet, so I didn't see the need to insist upon it for this first test.

I personally haven't seen any tests in pants yet in my neck of the woods, but for lower levels, esp. moves, I don't have a problem with it.

SDFanatic
11-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Ummmm... Steven... I guess you know know the story behind my username on this board, huh??? :lol:

To recap: The username is my usual practice wear, way back when skaters were still pushing the old fashioned idea that I need to wear skating dresses to be taken seriously as a figure skater and I refuse to conform to wearing something that makes me look either too young or too old for the outfit. (I managed to find a happy medium now with the skating dress choices and styles, so I don't feel too conscious about wearing a dress now.) ;)

Yes Jazzpants, I recall the story of your username, I'm sorry if my words made it sound that since you had a nice dress that is why you passed, I didn't mean it that way at all only that a nice dress shouldn't be needed. Sure, you can wear a nice dress, but comments about it and scoring on it should not be part of it, especialy for tests. For freestyle, thats another matter since ones costume is supposed to reflect the music. I for one am amazed as to how guys convery the same moves and emotions when wearing black pants and white shirts while females tend to be very dramatic visually. Of course I know this is because females are allowed such freedom of expression through clothing while most males are not (or think they are not allowed) although there have been more extravagant costumes worn by males lately.

Some time ago, before skating was invented I think, males were the ones that wore extravagant costumes and jewelry (and even skirts and/or heels) unfortunately most males have lost such freedom and those who try are unwelcome by many.

Fortunately for you, you can wear jazzpants or a dress and be taken seriously, a serious male skater has a much narrower line to skate on, not just on attire, but the nature of the sport itself.

Steven (aka, the most hated male skater in Cleveland)

phoenix
11-14-2006, 12:40 PM
I for one am amazed as to how guys convey the same moves and emotions when wearing black pants and white shirts while females tend to be very dramatic visually.

Fortunately for you, you can wear jazzpants or a dress and be taken seriously, a serious male skater has a much narrower line to skate on, not just on attire, but the nature of the sport itself.

Hardly..... ;)

http://www.ice-dance.com/photography/displayimage.php?album=26&pos=2

http://www.ice-dance.com/photography/displayimage.php?album=26&pos=22

http://www.ice-dance.com/photography/displayimage.php?album=26&pos=14

http://www.ice-dance.com/photography/displayimage.php?album=18&pos=6

http://www.ice-dance.com/photography/displayimage.php?album=17&pos=11

http://www.ice-dance.com/photography/displayimage.php?album=177&pos=35

SDFanatic
11-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Hardly..... ;)

Thank you Phoenix for showing me something that doesn't exist in Cleveland Ohio.

Steven

jazzpants
11-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Thank you Phoenix for showing me something that doesn't exist in Cleveland Ohio.

StevenBOY, do you need to consider moving to California (or New York... or just someplace where it's a bit less conservative!!!) :lol:

For freestyle, thats another matter since ones costume is supposed to reflect the music.Said time that I got the compliment on the dress WAS for my Bronze FS test and it was an appropriate dress for the number I was doing...

Mrs Redboots
11-14-2006, 02:04 PM

StevenBut these guys will probably practice in leggings or sweatpants, just like everybody else. The costumes are strictly for show!

skaternum
11-14-2006, 03:12 PM
I for one am amazed as to how guys convery the same moves and emotions when wearing black pants and white shirts while females tend to be very dramatic visually. Of course I know this is because females are allowed such freedom of expression through clothing while most males are not (or think they are not allowed) although there have been more extravagant costumes worn by males lately.

Some time ago, before skating was invented I think, males were the ones that wore extravagant costumes and jewelry (and even skirts and/or heels) unfortunately most males have lost such freedom and those who try are unwelcome by many.

Steven (aka, the most hated male skater in Cleveland)Well, here we go, veering off towards that discussion again.