View Full Version : Broken Ankle Progress!

sk8pics
11-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Okay, so it's been like 9 days since the surgery and I went in for my first followup. They took x-rays after pealing everything off my leg. The ankle is still a little swollen but not bad, and the incisions looked very good. Well, when the P.A. saw the x-rays he was practically jumping up and down because he was so pleased. I have to admit it was a little freaky seeing screws in my bones! But he said he could see some healing, and the best part was that the space between bones was the same all the way across my ankle, which was one of hte points of the surgery.

Then the surgeon came in, commented on my Salt Lake City olympics shirt(said he had one, LOL) and also was pleased with the x-ray. Then he started moving my foot around! It didn't hurt too much but I was like, is it okay to move my ankle that way?8O He said it just has to be protected from weight but yes, it can be moved and he wants me to! So, they put me in a boot instead of a cast. No walking, but I can take it off and they want me to. And said I should rub my foot, wiggle my toes, and move my foot a bit up and down. It was painful getting into the boot because my foot wasn't ready to be at a 90 degree angle to my leg, but not that bad. It is already much more comfortable than the splint was. I go back to see them in 3 weeks.

AND I start physical therapy next week. They'll move my foot around and teach me more about getting around with the walker or with crutches. The place is 5 minutes from my house, and except for thefirst appointment, they will pick me up and drop me off. Isn't that great?

The best part was that I will be in the boot for 6 weeks. That's actually a shorter time than they originally said, since it hasn't even been 2 weeks since the surgery. So it was very encouraging. I'm also cleared to work from home 4 hours a day starting a week from Monday.

Just wanted to let you all know since you've all been so great. Wish me luck with everything!

Isk8NYC
11-09-2006, 03:02 PM
That's all terrific! Sounds like a "best case" scenario.
Hope you continue to heal at a rapid rate!

Skate@Delaware
11-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Pat, that is wonderful news! I am so happy for you! We know you will do all that the PT tells you to do...which will speed you on to a rapid recovery! You are so lucky to have door-to-door service (and pick-up/drop-off also).

dbny
11-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Hip hip Hooray! That's great news. Keep on healing like you have been. The best thing about this, is that your ankle won't be frozen when you're ready to walk on it. That was the worst thing about having my wrist in a cast for 2 months.

Debbie S
11-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Woohoo, Pat! Great news! Keep us updated on your progress.

And with the PT you're getting on your ankle, you'll be that much closer to skating after you're able to walk again. :D

Chico
11-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Happy days. =-) I'm glad things are going so well! I found that therapy was hard the first few times but after that it felt great to actually use my ankle. I still do my exercises and I know if I didn't tell skaters at the rink about my injury they would never guess. In fact my "bad" ankle is my stronger skating side not to mention my landing foot. By the way, which ankle did you break? Can you feel your screws?

Chico

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2006, 05:57 AM
Excellent news! I do hope you go on healing just as fast - and I'm sure you'll be back on the ice before you know it!

looplover
11-10-2006, 06:31 AM
Great news, here's to a speedy recovery!!

Team Arthritis
11-10-2006, 07:38 AM
doesn't it feel great and a little scary to move it again- wonderful news
Lyle

sk8pics
11-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Thank you everyone! i am still so happy. Today, I took the boot off, aired out my foot and leg, and moved my foot up and down! Sure, not that much, but first things first. I was so relieved that it did turn out to be easy to get my foot and leg back in the boot, AND it's in a better position now because my ankle already loosened up from being in the boot since yesterday. It is a little sore but not too bad. I'm sure I'm going to be exhausted after therapy but that's okay.

To answer some questions,
It's my left ankle, which is my landing leg.
No, I can't feel the screws and it was definitely freaky seeing the x-ray with screws in my bones. It doesn't look like the screws will be a problem just from the way the x-ray looked. Of course, the one holding the tibia and fibula together looked especially freaky because it is so long and i could see how the head of that screw would irritate me if it were left in.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll keep you updated and please don't forget about me!

Isk8NYC
11-10-2006, 09:40 AM
No way - why would we forget about you?

Let's see, six weeks from now would be around December 15th. I think when Jazzpants comes in for her annual east coast whirlwind (Dec 20-27), we need a SkatingForums meetup. You'll probably be able to drive by then, right?

We haven't had a poll in a while - here are two to gauge interest in a Skating Forums meetup.
<<< WHEN TO MEET (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=22020) >>>
<<< WHERE TO MEET (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=22021) >>>

In the meantime, DON'T work too much. You need rest and diversions as well. Do you have NetFlix? My sister uses them and loves the convenient service. I wrote NetFlix a letter, asking them to add the educational skating videos to their library. Right now, the only figure skating ones they have are http://www.netflix.com/Search?v1=figure+skating&hnjr=1 and http://www.netflix.com/SubGenreList?sgid=2163&pgid=2168&gpgid=2190&hnjr=3.

BTW, if you're going to join, have a friend refer you so they get a little bonus.
(Not me - I get nothing out of this but interesting conversations with my sister.)

sk8pics
11-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Oh, don't worry i won't work too much! By my calculations, 6 weeks is about Dec 21. So maybe I will get the screw out and be able to walk by Christmas! I'm sure they'lll still have me in a boot but I should be able to limp anyway. And yes, I would drive for a skatingforums meetup!

Since I can sit up more now (sitting up right now, typing :)) it's easier for me to read and stuff. So far I haven't even watched everything on my DVR yet, but I did think about Netflix. I'll try it if I get too bored. Thanks for the tip.

jazzpants
11-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Pat:

If you can make it, I would love to see you again!!! :D