View Full Version : Only have one dress for three events

looplover
11-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Certainly this is a minor issue in the scope of one's life -- my friend's wife had brain surgery today -- but the dress I ordered from SeKu cannot arrive prior to competition because they damaged it, so I only have one dress for three events over two days.

Am I lame? should I care about this?

It's ISI...I don't even think I'll have an audience...

I am not ordering from Seku again, btw. Lovely dresses, but they told me I'd get it, then they didn't follow up, then I had to hound them to get the status, then she said they can send me another color (which would have looked horrible on me) in time, mine was damaged.

skating_babe11
11-08-2006, 07:37 PM
I have wore the same dress many times for different events in one weekend. Chances are no one will notice except your coach and you! Have fun at your competition and good luck!

mikawendy
11-08-2006, 07:40 PM
I've known ice dancers who have back to back dances with no time to change, so they wear the same dress.

dbny
11-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Certainly this is a minor issue in the scope of one's life -- my friend's wife had brain surgery today -- but the dress I ordered from SeKu cannot arrive prior to competition because they damaged it, so I only have one dress for three events over two days.

Am I lame? should I care about this?

I hope the surgery went well and your friend's wife recovers quickly.

You're not lame, and just because there are bigger problems does not mean you shouldn't care about the smaller ones. IMO, things would fall apart pretty quickly if no one looked after all the seemingly insignificant details. I do think you will be fine with just the one dress, but I'm sure it would be a lot more fun with missing dress.

TreSk8sAZ
11-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Like someone said above, dancers often wear the same dress. At local competitions we usually have one dance in between, if not back to back, so I normally just bring one. I've worn the same dress for spins then compulsories then jumps in the same day. It's completly acceptable!

Best of luck in your competition!

slusher
11-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Accessorize!

I found a lace bolero that matches my dance dress which is rather plain velvet and chiffon and it changes the look from dance to dance.

mikawendy
11-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Accessorize!

I found a lace bolero that matches my dance dress which is rather plain velvet and chiffon and it changes the look from dance to dance.

Also, depending on the event (e.g., interpretive), you could accessorize with fancy gloves (elbow length) or a small scarf tied around your neck if it's not too distracting....

If you have time between events, you could also change your hairstyle.

phoenix
11-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Do you know anyone who could loan you a dress? We do that a bit for tests, etc. Maybe someone has one or two that you could borrow for the day. I've had 2 nightmares now of ordering dresses & almost not getting them in time, so I can sympathize.

Other thing you could do---LOTS of street dress styles now are very skatey/dancey looking--made of lycra, often sparkly, short & cute!! Go shopping & see what you can find--just wear black trunks over your tights & no one will ever know it isn't a skating dress!

Mrs Redboots
11-09-2006, 05:23 AM
Other thing you could do---LOTS of street dress styles now are very skatey/dancey looking--made of lycra, often sparkly, short & cute!! Go shopping & see what you can find--just wear black trunks over your tights & no one will ever know it isn't a skating dress!I have at least four of these! I do wear them over a flesh-coloured leotard, as I'm far too old to get my upper arms out in public, but they work very well indeed!

looplover
11-09-2006, 07:27 AM
I'm not going to worry about it. I also realized that the rink holding the competition sometimes has a nice selection of adult dresses in their pro shop, so hoping that's the case and I can just buy one on the first day :)

SDFanatic
11-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Don't forget, you don't have to wear a dress.

Steven

Petlover
11-09-2006, 11:53 AM
At one ISI competition years ago, I had 4 events in 3 hours - not many people entered. I made the decision to wear the same dress for all 4 events so I wouldn't have to get hectic and change. I felt really comfortable, and would do it again. The best thing to do is relax, have fun, and don't worry, you will do fabulous!