View Full Version : made a big decision - re: testing

TaBalie
11-08-2006, 04:23 PM
When I started skating semi-seriously (I go three times a week or so, which I should be ashamed of based on what you folks do ! :) ) again last summer, I didn't want to do any testing. But finally, I decided it would be okay -- I realized it is easier to practice when I have goals.

So, I decided to take Pre-Bronze and Bronze Moves and Freestyle tests in December - yep, 4 in one day! I have a lot of work to do, mainly putting together a program.

Wish me luck!

Any ideas for good music? I have drawn a blank and I want to give something to my coach ASAP.

Bill_S
11-08-2006, 04:37 PM
So, I decided to take Pre-Bronze and Bronze Moves and Freestyle tests in December - yep, 4 in one day!

A woman skater at my rink did the same thing two years ago. Four tests in one day - and she passed them all.

I tested only Bronze moves that day, and felt like an underachiever compared to her.

doubletoe
11-08-2006, 05:58 PM
I also tested my PB and Bronze tests in one day, but that was before they started requiring MIF. I blanked out in the middle of my Bronze program and forgot an entire section of my music and started improvising. I didn't pass. I got comments like, "Should have skated to the music." (Uh . . . yeah! :roll: ) But it was also the first time I'd ever skated a program for either judges or an audience, so I had no idea how to "present" and focus at the same time, LOL! Anyway, I couldn't take my Bronze FS test for another 4 months because they changed the requirements the next month and I had to learn all the Bronze MIF and pass that test before I could test Bronze FS again. :frus: Not that any of this has anything to do with you; I'm just rambling! :P

Anyway, good luck on your tests, and welcome to the wonderful world of testing and competing! It WILL make you a better skater, faster, that's for sure! :)

Thin-Ice
11-09-2006, 04:15 AM
CONGRATULATIONS on your decision. You will find doing so many tests in one day will help you at least in one way... by the time you get to your 3rd and 4th tests, the idea of judges watching you won't even phase you!

As for music... find something you REALLY like since you'll be performing to it and want to be able to enjoy hearing it over and over and over. Don't pick anything too fast.. but don't pick anything that's really slow either, unless you are a gorgeous-lots-of-ballet-background skater. Broadway show tunes or many movie soundtracks work well. But mostly, make it something you want to hear.. so that will translate into something you will make worth watching when you skate for the judges.

Best wishes!

jazzpants
11-09-2006, 10:01 AM
YAAAAAAY, Tabalie! GO FOR IT!!! You definitely have the skills for it.

As for music, just make sure it's instrumental. The rest is really based on your taste in music and what you think you can skate to w/o getting nauseous hearing on a consistant basis. LOL!!! :lol:

TaBalie
11-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the well-wishes... I think I will look at some movie scores -- that is a great idea! :)

TimDavidSkate
11-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Good luck - I did the same thing too before... And I forever will remember my judge who did my test. (she passed away 4 months later due to a car accident :cry: )

sk8er1964
11-09-2006, 01:43 PM
I took the pre-bronze, bronze and silver freestyle tests all in one day, pre-MIFs. That was fun!

Good luck on your tests. Holst's The Planets, Mars has a very easy part to cut into bronze length, especially since you are a bit crunched for time. Then you can decide to either keep it or search for other music for when you compete (assuming that you want to).

Team Arthritis
11-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Good Luck!
At our rink, you are not allowed to even sign up for "provisional" tests (i.e. any that depend on passing another test first. Consequently you must test PB moves first all by itself and next can test MAX B moves and PB FS and PB Dance. Better check with your club because if you fail your PB moves you will not be allowed to test PB FS or anything else and it makes the club look very bad and judges HATE it. On the other hand if they let you try - GO FOR IT!

I cut music for most of our skaters, what style would you like to skate to?
Lyle

e-skater
11-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the well-wishes... I think I will look at some movie scores -- that is a great idea! :)

Best of luck to you in your tests! That's a great goal, and impressive to pull off in one day.

I just attended a testing session yesterday, as a matter of fact, where a guy did his APB and AB freeskates, and AB Pairs test in one afternoon. Definitely a skating terminator!

I used some music from "Legends of the Fall" for my AB FS. It was not too fast or slow, had room for artistry and all the necessary elements as well. The best thing was I never got tired of the music. Until the day I passed my test. I threw away the CD that day! LOL!!!!

e-skater
11-09-2006, 03:17 PM
I took the pre-bronze, bronze and silver freestyle tests all in one day, pre-MIFs. That was fun!

Good luck on your tests. Holst's The Planets, Mars has a very easy part to cut into bronze length, especially since you are a bit crunched for time.

8O 8O 8O, re those tests, even pre-MIFs. Then, from me to you, :bow: :bow: :bow:

Also, nice music selection/suggestion!