View Full Version : Pain from new boots

Vickstar
11-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Ok, this isn't so much about skate care but me care. I am struggling to break in my new boots and front of ankles are in lots of pain! I'm struggling to bend my knees and of course look ridiculous, not to mention unsteady.
Are the any quick tips for softening padded leather boots (etoile)?

:idea:P.S somewhere on this site I read a recommendation for cleaning blades with metal polish to remove dark spots and make them whizzy. It really worked so thank you whoever suggested it (I can't find the post again)!

sk8_4fun
11-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Ok, this isn't so much about skate care but me care. I am struggling to break in my new boots and front of ankles are in lots of pain! I'm struggling to bend my knees and of course look ridiculous, not to mention unsteady.
Are the any quick tips for softening padded leather boots (etoile)?

:idea:P.S somewhere on this site I read a recommendation for cleaning blades with metal polish to remove dark spots and make them whizzy. It really worked so thank you whoever suggested it (I can't find the post again)!

I would leave the top hook undone just for a while. otherwise try bunga pads gel sleeves. Also, wearing them at home and doing gentle knee bends will speed the process up a bit. I'm speaking from a very recent experience so I know how you feel!!!! Good luck:yum:

Kay
11-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Hey Vickstar,

I had the exact same problem breaking my skates in too - like right at the front of your skate, tops of your boots, you get rubs and your ankles start to bleed, right? (or at least mine did!)

I tried absolutely everything from taping, to padding, when finally my mom actually spotted "gel socks" in a boutique. It's not really a sock, so much as a cuff. It came in like a 20cm tube maybe, that we cut in half. I wear them on the outside of my tights during practice and the inside during competitions. The company that makes them is called Silipos and they were originally designed for burn victims, so they're cushioning inside and have an elastic exterior.

They are popular at the centre where I train - if you took a survey, probably nine out of ten skaters wear them on various sports on their feet, and these are skaters upper level doubles through to triples.

To take care of them (and keep them from smelling sweaty) , simply sprinkle baby powder on the inside and rub it around so that there is a light coating over the inside gel surface.

I really hope this helps!! I this day, I still can't wear my skaters without them and so many skaters swear by them. I get mine at a local skating boutique and most skate shops now sell them. Here's a place online that has a picture so you know what I mean. Not sure if the link will work, otherwise just copy and paste.... Good luck!!!

http://www.skate-connection.com/sportsmed/silipos/s_anklslv.htm

Happy Skating,

Kay :)

doubletoe
11-08-2006, 02:31 PM
I agree. The trick to breaking in new boots is to leave at least the top hook unlaced, and if possible, the top 2 hooks unlaced (as long as you still feel enough support). It may also help to skip the lace hole right where the ankle bend happens, since that will allow more bending. And yes, gel ankle sleeves like Bunga pads or Silipos are absolutely necessary!

Skate@Delaware
11-08-2006, 02:38 PM
:cry: I'm going through this also....I bought my daughter those silipos sleeves last year for her other skates and she lost them....(darn teenagers)!

The front of my ankles are bruised but not blistered or bleeding. BUT, being able to have boots that fit is wonderful! The first time I skated in them was Sunday and it was for 3.5 hours. When I got off the ice I had NO heel or knee pain!!!! That was worth it right there!

I'm sure this pain will eventually go away, as they break in....hopefully in the next few weeks.:giveup:

I had a friend suggest soaking the boots in oil-he's so old school though. I told him we don't do that anymore. Sheesh!!!

sk8rabbi_07
11-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Put your new boots in your oven at 250 degrees for about 7-10 minutes & take them out (careful *HOT*)Put a thicker sock on then wat u wear when ur normally sk8ing... when they come out of the over lace them as tight as possibly so that way they mold to ur feet :) let them completely cool... it'll be a little uncomfortable but u can sit on ur couch and watch tv. it's better then trying to sk8 and break them in... hope it works for you!

Debbie S
11-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Put your new boots in your oven at 250 degrees for about 7-10 minutes What you are describing is heat molding. However, that only works for certain brands of boots (Jackson, GAM, Graf, I think are the only ones) and when boots are heat-molded in the pro shop, they are placed in a certain type of oven (convection?). An ordinary kitchen oven isn't recommended, and if your boot is not one of the heat-moldable brands, then you can seriously damage them doing that anyway.

I have heard of wearing wet socks in the boots to speed up the break-in process, but I think the problem with that (I have read) is that it shortens the life of the boots.

Vickstar, if you have been wearing them for a couple of weeks, wearing bunga pads, and the boots are still causing pain, I would go back to the place where you got them and see what they can do - punching out certain areas is an option, and it's also possible that you were sold boots that are too stiff for you and your level of skating. What boots did you get and what skating skills (jumps, etc) are you working on?