View Full Version : Guess who? And Q

SDFanatic
11-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Hey, you cheated! No fair looking at the Posted By!

Yes, it's me, busy busy busy per usual, I know I've said a few things here and there, but now I need to pick some brains for some input.

I did get back to skating, much to the lack of other stuff not getting done, but such is life is it not? Anyways, I'm trying to do back inside three turns and I just cant get my weight shifted enough to get off the front of the blade, any ideas?

On the same note, I'm trying to do outside brackets but keep falling to an inside edge after the turn, I try keeping the hip up and check hard, but not always succesful at getting back to an outside edge.

In other news, I have a girlfriend which has been consuming a bit of my other free time, seeing as she's my first one, I've been going around in circles trying to figure things out! So far I'm doing ok, as many bad things I do or say, we've been able to hash things out or I do something silly or considerate and everything is happy again, and here I thought I had complications before!

Steven

luna_skater
11-07-2006, 08:35 PM
On the same note, I'm trying to do outside brackets but keep falling to an inside edge after the turn, I try keeping the hip up and check hard, but not always succesful at getting back to an outside edge.

This has me confused. A bracket has a different exit and entrance edge. So if you are starting on a BO edge, you SHOULD end up on a FI edge.

FWIW, I think back outside brackets and back outside counters are the hardest turns out there. They require very quick and precise knee, ankle, and shoulder action to ensure you don't flip your edge before or after the turn, making a counter a change-3 or a bracket a rocker. My advice is to do a lot of brackets on two feet and make sure you are getting the correct shoulder action. If you don't have a coach...get one, or you are going to become really frustrated with this turn.

mikawendy
11-07-2006, 08:42 PM
And another tip for brackets--practice the 8 step mohawk pattern, as it teaches the shoulder/torso action needed down the line for the brackets.

I watched an intermediate moves test recently, and realized something about the brackets on that test (and the adult gold test). It seems to me that the torso pretty much faces the same way during the brackets that are paired together (LBO and RFI; LFI and RBO; etc.). Not having done this move, I hadn't realized that....

SDFanatic
11-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Ok, so I goofed! It's actually a forward inside bracket I was trying to do, I would go in on a RFI edge, bracket, (or try) to come out on a RBO edge, I usally failed in this and would fall to inside edge instead (counter)

If I go slow it's not too bad, but any speed I can't seem to push it over to the outside edge.

Steven

mikawendy
11-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Then *definitely* I would recommend that you practice the 8-step mohawk pattern, or at least the mohawk from it. If you do the LFO-RBO mohawk, that trains the shoulder/torso/arm positions that you'll need for the RFI-RBO bracket.

dbny
11-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Try just off the wall. Aim for the wall, on your RFI, as you get to the wall, do the turn. With the wall in your way, you have to get onto that BO edge. That's actually the only way I can do those, since I'm such a big chicken. I don't have a problem with them at all (except for fear); they amazingly came over from roller.