View Full Version : Christmas Skating Show

singerskates
11-06-2006, 08:50 PM
To what music are you skating for your Christmas show?

I"m thinking of skating to my own version of Mary Did You Know? You can hear Mary Did You Know? (http://eastcastlemusic.tripod.com/id1.html) if you click on the link in this sentence and then scroll down under where it says, "Music I've Recorded For Fun" and click on "Mary Did You Know performed by me".

This just a rough version of what I will have for the show.

Brigitte

Skate@Delaware
11-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Our Christmas show is Nutcracker on Ice.....every year. It does have some other music in it. Mannheim Steamroller, stuff from Edward Scissorhands, etc. to give it a fresh feel.

We might have an exhibition, but they haven't said for sure. If we do, then I will just skate my competition program and skate to When You Say You Love Me (instrumental). If my husband and I do a dutch waltz, then we will skate to the waltz from Finding Neverland.

Mrs Redboots
11-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Alas, the factions in our staffroom make it impossible for our rink to hold a Christmas show. We do have a club competition most years, but I am not sure if it is happening this year or not, probably not.

kateskate
11-07-2006, 08:32 AM
No Xmas show for us either. We had our 75th Anniversary Show last year and I don't think any of the teachers want to organise anything this year.

And even if there was I doubt I would be allowed in it for a solo. A mediocre adult skater is not what they want. I would probably be allowed in a group number. Cute little kids and good skaters from other rinks is usually what we have for solos.

I wish we had one though. Would be fun

aussieskater
11-07-2006, 11:56 PM
We have one - lots of different group numbers from various musicals. (Sadly, I don't think solo numbers are allowed this year). I'm in 2 group numbers (one synchro, one group), and hubby and DD's are each in a group as well. I suspect all our numbers will be "1st half" (= the less advanced groups!!)

Can't wait to see what the other groups have come up with! It's usually a lot of fun.

Team Arthritis
11-08-2006, 11:16 AM
my wife are skating to a cutesy number called "such a night" where we have to do Kissy Kissy and Huggie Huggie a couple of times:halo:
Lyle
If you can't be good then atleast be entertaining

Skate@Delaware
11-08-2006, 11:45 AM
my wife are skating to a cutesy number called "such a night" where we have to do Kissy Kissy and Huggie Huggie a couple of times:halo:
Lyle
If you can't be good then atleast be entertaining
I hear you on this! For our part in "Nutcracker on Ice" as maids for the party scene (first scene where Clara receives the nutcracker) our skating is mostly "fluff" and not difficult at all, so my cohort and I decided to wear red ruffled bloomers under our dresses so you can see them when we spin...and really ham it up our skating as we drift around the scene!!!!

Team Arthritis
11-08-2006, 12:12 PM
I hear you on this! For our part in "Nutcracker on Ice" as maids for the party scene (first scene where Clara receives the nutcracker) our skating is mostly "fluff" and not difficult at all, so my cohort and I decided to wear red ruffled bloomers under our dresses so you can see them when we spin...and really ham it up our skating as we drift around the scene!!!!
:lol: :lol: we need pictures!:lol: :lol:
Lyle

kiwibabe
11-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Our christmas show is Once upon a time on ice, we are hoping to have 2000 people come to the shows. there are over 140 cast members from 4 years old to about 80 years old. The show is basically a bunch of fairy tales.

Skate@Delaware
11-08-2006, 02:32 PM
:lol: :lol: we need pictures!:lol: :lol:
Lyle
For Sure!!!!! My outfit is a former square-dance outfit and I'm just slapping an apron on it, and adding lace to the sleeves. When I spun in my bedroom and saw myself in the mirror, I thought "why not?" :twisted: he-he-he!!!!!

Our christmas show is Once upon a time on ice, we are hoping to have 2000 people come to the shows. there are over 140 cast members from 4 years old to about 80 years old. The show is basically a bunch of fairy tales.
THAT sounds like quite a production!!!!! We usually only have about 300-500 people attend for the entire run of our show (2 nights, 1 matinee) only because we don't have seating. Although we do have a varied cast like yours....

quarkiki2
11-08-2006, 02:57 PM
our theme is "Twas the Night Before Christmas."

We're skating our Synchro program (to Latin music). Don't know how that fits into the story, though... Someone joked that we were the "gleam in his eye", LOL!

Two years ago we were "The Fog" for Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer because our music was sort of dramatic.

It's hard to fit a competitive program in there....

Mel On Ice
11-08-2006, 03:53 PM
we (meaning me, flying~camel and the other adults in my club) are doing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, using the traditional Burl Ives intro "you've heard of Dasher and Dancer..." then we mixing it up with the girl group version by The Crystals.

I'm Blitzen - wooooooo! Paaaaaaaaaaaaartay!

Jen is Prancer, darling.

TaBalie
11-08-2006, 04:30 PM
I am not sure - I just agreed to be in it yesterday. I think it wil be a short number at the beginning of the show, with an old-timey feel (long skirts, sweaters, muffs), with adults doing three turns and slow graceful skating. Then they bring out the big guns (the junior and senior kids, coaches, and visiting pros) for the solo numbers.

I am in Sun Valley Idaho, and it will be on Christmas Eve at the beautiful outdoor rink -- I can't wait!

Team Arthritis
11-09-2006, 12:30 PM
I am in Sun Valley Idaho, and it will be on Christmas Eve at the beautiful outdoor rink -- I can't wait!

Does anyone ANYONE remember the name of the old black and white movie, it may have been filmed at the outdoor rink in Sun Valley, in which they had several (4?) couples skating interlacing alternating Waltz 8 circles, and the women wore something dark with white fur trim along the skirt and neckline and the guys wore dark Tuxes. Every year I think about how beautiful that would be to perform. errrr unless this is all a figment of my imagination
Lyle

TaBalie
11-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Was it Sun Valley Serenade with Sonja Henie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Valley_Serenade

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2006, 05:47 AM
Does anyone ANYONE remember the name of the old black and white movie, it may have been filmed at the outdoor rink in Sun Valley, in which they had several (4?) couples skating interlacing alternating Waltz 8 circles, and the women wore something dark with white fur trim along the skirt and neckline and the guys wore dark Tuxes. Every year I think about how beautiful that would be to perform. errrr unless this is all a figment of my imagination
LyleI don't remember the film, but the walts would have undoubtedly been the 3-lobe waltz. It's no longer skated over here, but it used to be one of the main waltzes, before many of the modern dances were invented. I've only seen it skated once, at the dance session after last year's Adult Nationals, and it was breathtaking the way the couples weaved in and out of one another.

Team Arthritis
11-10-2006, 10:00 AM
I don't remember the film, but the walts would have undoubtedly been the 3-lobe waltz. It's no longer skated over here, but it used to be one of the main waltzes, before many of the modern dances were invented. I've only seen it skated once, at the dance session after last year's Adult Nationals, and it was breathtaking the way the couples weaved in and out of one another.

Yes I thint that thats it - the pattern with 4 couples looks like a 4 leafed clover and there are 3 3's per lobe
Lyle

luckeylasvegas
11-12-2006, 12:42 AM
Just to chime in ;) , my daughter is skating to Karen Carpenters The Christmas Waltz.

Makes me cry every time I watch her. :halo:

AW1
11-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Last year our rink had mostly traditional christmas music. This year they're having a disco christmas. My daughter and some other girls (I think there are 6 all up) are skating to Blame it on the Boogie by Jackson 5! Should be a hoot!

Mrs Redboots
11-12-2006, 09:36 AM
We don't have a Christmas show, but one of our elite couples is working on an exhibition performance to Silent Night, which is going to be lovely. I think they will be performing at some of the temporary rinks this year.

Terri C
11-13-2006, 06:34 PM
I have a bit of a dilemma about the Christmas show at my rink.
Ours is December 16 and while I'd love to do it, I have no time to put together a program. My main focus on the ice is Bronze moves, which I'm retesting on December 8. That would give me only a few days to do something. I have a old program that I could do, but I've done it every year and I'm actually tired of it.

Skate@Delaware
11-13-2006, 08:23 PM
I have a bit of a dilemma about the Christmas show at my rink.
Ours is December 16 and while I'd love to do it, I have no time to put together a program. My main focus on the ice is Bronze moves, which I'm retesting on December 8. That would give me only a few days to do something. I have a old program that I could do, but I've done it every year and I'm actually tired of it.
If you start now, you could put together a simple program but make it beautiful (I've seen your skating and know you can do this) with artistry and lovely music. Maybe put most of your old program in it and change a few things, just enough to make it different (that's what we do for our shows).