View Full Version : Program for a 7mx7m rink

tidesong
11-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Just wondering... has anyone of you had experience skating in a tiny rink like that? Its meant for performance in a small temoporary rink in the mall and the association is asking skaters to make up programs... I can't imagine putting in any jumps or spirals! I dont want to skate 20 circles around it before the program is done either... any ideas? :halo:

SkatingOnClouds
11-06-2006, 02:15 AM
Just wondering... has anyone of you had experience skating in a tiny rink like that? Its meant for performance in a small temoporary rink in the mall and the association is asking skaters to make up programs... I can't imagine putting in any jumps or spirals! I dont want to skate 20 circles around it before the program is done either... any ideas? :halo:

Lots of spins, cute footwork and small jumps like toe-taps, ballet jump, falling leaf, etc

dooobedooo
11-06-2006, 05:47 AM
I think a spiral sequence for a small rink could be rather beautiful - forward crossovers, forward spiral around rink with skating leg on barrier side, free leg on centre side, turn to backwards, back spiral, spiral inwards into back pivot, whatever. Also continuous three turns/mowhawks/double threes with posing. Also some nice funky toe-step work on the spot, using all parts of the blade. Do put in some little jumps, they'll be expecting them!
Edited to add: varied spiral positions: having done classic spirals in one direction, could change direction and do things like teapot into spiral, catchfoot spiral, backward spiral with torso rollover so that front of body now faces upwards, etc. And lots of different spins!

Skate@Delaware
11-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Our rink now has the artificial ice and it's very small-I think it's about 20x25 feet or something like that. There were 2 adults skating and they would set up their jumps going around the corner, then hit the diagonal. They were able to do waltz, loop, toe-loop, and salchow jumps in that small space (none of them has an axel and they didn't do any flips or lutz jumps). They did go for vertical height more than horizontal and they also did more showy stuff and audience participation, i.e. playing to the audience. Try to pick a song that plays on that and the more you can interact with them the better (lots of eye contact & stuff like that).

Good Luck!!!

Isk8NYC
11-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Yow! That is small - 7mx7m is approximately 23'x23'.

When I used to skate at Rockefeller Center, I did all my jumps on the diagonal of the rink; setup before as S@D mentioned. When the rink's small like that, the audience can see the full surface clearly, so you can put a spin anywhere. Spirals - you can do them from end-to-end or use the diagonals.

Circular footwork patterns work best, or use a serpentine pattern for interest.
Hey! I just thought of something: make up a "square" footwork pattern with four short straight-line patterns! That's different and unusual. You could even stop and flirt at each corner.

How long is your program music?

ETA: Small jumps - double bunny hops (think skipping on the ice) and one-foot waltz jumps would look cool!

tidesong
11-06-2006, 08:09 PM
I haven't really thought about the music. I was considering using the music I had used earlier (of which the video I have actually post in another thread) But I'm wondering how generic-audience friendly that is. That music is 2 minutes long though.

Square footwork indeed 8O Interesting idea. I love all the ideas here, you people are great.

edit: I wont dare to put a spin anywhere but in the center... what if I have a "bad travel day" and spin off the ice?

Skate@Delaware
11-06-2006, 08:56 PM
edit: I wont dare to put a spin anywhere but in the center... what if I have a "bad travel day" and spin off the ice?
That's a good idea! I do recall that all the spins done on our small surface were done in the center (probably for that very reason).

Our rink director learned to skate on a studio rink...it was probably about the same size. She says you learn to become powerful in a smaller space and make every stroke count.

Isk8NYC
11-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Sorry - my spins usually center pretty well, so I never think about that problem.

Team Arthritis
11-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Heck I could jump there - my landings curve so much they'd fit fine :lol:
Lyle

kayskate
11-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Footwork on the spot. Think of Robin Cousins "Satan Takes a Holiday". I think that is the name of the program. I love it.

Kay