View Full Version : Heel Screws Broken Off - What to DO?

SkatingOnClouds
11-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Okay, my own stupid fault. When I received my new old blades, I screwed them into the existing holes, even though I could tell the holes were a little loose. Then I ignored the fact I have had to screw them down again because the heel was lifting. So it took for me to notice a screw was missing to do something about it (kicks herself hard, several times, for being so slack).

I discovered that the screw has broken off, leaving the shank in the hole, too low to grab with anything. I thought, that's okay, re-plug holes and drill again, 3 screws should hold it. But then discovered the hole I thought was not being used also contains a broken off screw.

That would leave me with one slotted hole and the diagonally opposite non-slotted hole. I am worried that 2 screws isn't going to be enough, as I am not a delicate little thing.

How do I get the screw shanks out? I don't have any sort of workshop here and my husband is not at all the handyman type. Ideas anyone?

mikawendy
11-05-2006, 08:13 PM
SkatingOnClouds, you might ask Skate@Delaware (or maybe she'll be reading this thread). All of her family members skate, and I seem to remember that her husband's boots had heels that began to separate from the boot, so they had to use drywall screws (or something) to reattach them. That isn't the same as your problem, but she or her husband may have an idea for a solution for your problem.

Or you could call the skate pro that you bought the boots from and ask them for ideas.

Rusty Blades
11-05-2006, 08:14 PM
A GOOD skate shop should be able to get them out. If you don't have a top quality skate shop, you can spend a few dollars and go to a machine shop - they have the right tools to get a hold on the broken screws and turn them out.

(I could do it for you but we are half a world apart!)

mikawendy
11-05-2006, 08:17 PM

Dianne, you rock!!! You have a rink in your backyard and can do complicated skate repairs. I think more than one of us wish you didn't live so far away from the rest of us! :) :bow:

Casey
11-05-2006, 09:44 PM
I had that happen on my old skates but the bit of screw was up enough I could get at it with a pair of pliers... If it's recessed that's hard because you need a proper tool to drill it out... :(

But any hardware store ought to be able to do that...

SkatingOnClouds
11-06-2006, 02:10 AM
A GOOD skate shop should be able to get them out. If you don't have a top quality skate shop, you can spend a few dollars and go to a machine shop - they have the right tools to get a hold on the broken screws and turn them out.

Well I wish you were here, Dianne. We don't have a skate shop, let alone a good one.

These screws have snapped a few milimetres below the surface of the leather, nowhere near flush with it, so there is no chance of grabbing them.

Rusty Blades
11-06-2006, 04:49 AM
Casey: You can not "dill out" a screw in leather because the leather is so much softer than the screw. (The same applies any time the screw is harder than the material around it.)

There are special high quality needle-nose pliers that might be able to get hold of the screw and turn it out but if you dont have access to a machine shop but can do a plug, this is what I would suggest:

You will need leather for a large plug, suitable glue, and a STONG scribe, icepick, or similar strong pick (even a nail might work). A fine bladed Exacto knife woulld help to.

Select a drill about twice the diameter of the screw and drill a hole tight against the side of the screw and drill a little deeper than the screw.

Using the knife and the pick, pry the screw sideways into the new (larger) hole until it can be pulled out.

Select another drill large enough to turn the two holes into one large one and drill again to leave one round hole.

Fashion a plug from new leather (or even hardwood) and glue in place.

When the glue has set, remount the blade. Don't forget to pilot drill the new hole so you don't split the plug or the heel.

This is a lot of "picky" work and will take awhile (and patience) but it WILL work.

Good luck!

Isk8NYC
11-06-2006, 10:14 AM
You're sure they're both screws? I know that at least one pair of the eight pairs of skates in my house have heel-holding NAILS in them that are essential to the skate's survival. Just check to be sure before you start digging.

(I saw them when I removed the blades to waterproof.)

I had a similar problem, except it was boot rot. My blade came off during a competition warmup. The friend who fixed it couldn't find a spot strong enough to hold a screw, so Juan ended up putting the new screw in on an angle through the hole. Looked stupid, but that's the only screw that never came loose again! LOL Maybe you could "work around" the obstruction that way?

HelenC
11-06-2006, 07:29 PM
I've been skating on very old rebuilt Klingbeils. During a lesson the blade separated from the heel. The heads of the screws had broken off and the rest of the screws were in the heel. I asked the zamboni guy for help and he put in two screws at an angle so I could finish the lesson.

After that I went to Klingbeil's. I forgot his name- is it Don? drilled in new screws. I asked what about the old ones in the heel? He said they are still in there, but don't worry about it. It's been over 2 years, and I haven't had any problems.

SkatingOnClouds
11-07-2006, 02:37 AM
Yes, they are definitely the old screws. I have to put the blade back on tonight, so I will do it with just the 2 screws and see how they hold.

If they start coming loose, I will have to decide whether to try the angled screw option or the drilling a big hole option.

Thanks everyone for advice and ideas.

HelenC
11-07-2006, 11:20 AM
The new screws Klingbiel put in are not angled- they look normal. I think Don must have tapped the broken screw shanks deeper into the heel, plugged the holes, and put in the new screws normally. At first I was afraid the old screws would come up inside my boot, but there's no sign of them. They are embedded!

Amandaskategirl
11-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Reading this thread is making me cringe, I am paranoid about boots and blades falling apart.

I would highly recommend taking your skates to someone who knows about skates, you want reliable skates!

Team Arthritis
11-08-2006, 01:06 PM
How brave are you?

The easy solution is to get a chisel and remove the top 1/2" of heel leather all in one big piece (If its sewn on you can make it easier by cutting each thread loop with an exacto knife/ razor blade). Then grab the screw shank with vicegrips and unscrew. THEN plug the holes with sole leather scraps from the shoe repair shop, apply the leather glue and glue together. WHile the glue is still wet, screw the heel back together with about 6 #4 countersunk screws around the edges (wood screws are OK use a bigger screw for stainless steel because the matal is weaker). Trim the hole plugs and let dry for ATLEAST 48 hours and remount the blades. Its really easy to do if you are game.
Lyle

Rusty Blades
11-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Excellent idea Lyle!

Make sure you clean off any rough bits after splitting the heel (so it will go back together tight!) and put a couple of those screws near the centre of the heel so it pulls down flat. Might be a good idea to slip the boot on and stand on it for a few minutes to make sure the piece removed is down good and tight and flat.

SkatingOnClouds
11-09-2006, 01:58 AM
Not that brave, Lyle 8O

What happened is that when I put the blade back on, because I intended to move the blade slightly, I realised that the broken screw in the slotted hole was in the centre. I was able to put another screw next to it!
So I will get 3 screws in the heel, and I'm hoping that will be enough to hold it now.

So after all that, looks like it'll be okay as is (she touches wood hastily!)

Thanks again everyone. I may need one of the many suggestions if it doesn't hold.

Team Arthritis
11-09-2006, 12:11 PM
So I will get 3 screws in the heel, and I'm hoping that will be enough to hold it now.My coach skates with only one loose screw in her heel (a good 1/8 in travel!), she says you really don't need screws in the heel except to hold the blade straight :roll: What is it with Pros - I swear they try to out getto each other with bad equipment!

Lyle

P.S. I've done the heel slice technique and forgot to mention that the sanding is very important because you will have to shave it down a little so its not thicker than the other foot! Thanks Rusty!

SkatingOnClouds
11-10-2006, 02:08 AM
Actually Lyle, I realised the radical heel surgery probably wouldn;t be a good idea on my boots. They are Graf Galaxy, and under the leather layers there is a plastic section (hollow?). Running down the middle of the whole heel is an enormous screw. Probably best not to mess with that sort of set up.

Team Arthritis
11-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Actually Lyle, I realised the radical heel surgery probably wouldn;t be a good idea on my boots. They are Graf Galaxy, and under the leather layers there is a plastic section (hollow?). Running down the middle of the whole heel is an enormous screw. Probably best not to mess with that sort of set up.
Yeh I think you are right on, the plastic heel is supposed to take off a significant amount of weight. So how did your temp fix go?
Lyle

Tessa
11-10-2006, 04:40 PM
I had a screw loose. :) I remember from years ago when I first started adult skating that my coach told me to put wooden matchsticks down the hole and then rescrew the screw in. That was on older used skates. I got new ones before I quit. Now I have a screw loose (;))(after 1.5 years back skating) and I just did the matchstick trick. I'll see how it holds tomorrow. Hubby, who screwed the screw, said it looks like it's gonna hold. I've been holding back on jumping because of this issue. I'm going to have to drive to a skate doctor to fix this. Luckily (or NOT) I'm only working on MITF as my now coach is insisting I set a testing goal for pre-juvie moves in February. Yarite.:giveup:

NoVa Sk8r
11-10-2006, 04:57 PM
The friend who fixed it couldn't find a spot strong enough to hold a screw, so Juan ended up putting the new screw in on an angle through the hole. Looked stupid, but that's the only screw that never came loose again! LOL Maybe you could "work around" the obstruction that way?I like the angle idea. I had 2 screws break off in my boot and a pro (at a shop in Connecticut) put in a screw at an angle. This was back in March, and I've had zero problems since. The only potential problem is that since the screw is at an angle, there is a greater chance of moisture getting to the heel. But my blade does not shake, rattle, and roll anymore, so I'm happy. 8-)

SkatingOnClouds
11-11-2006, 01:16 AM
Went skating this morning, the fix held up well. Mind you I only did a couple of flips, and I suspect my ongoing battle with flips is what puts most strain on the screws.

Only one screw I'm worried about, and that's because the head is distorted so it was hard to drive it all the way in. I will keep an eye on it this time and take action earlier, if required.

Thin-Ice
11-13-2006, 06:20 AM
I had a screw loose.

I thought we ALL had a screw loose.. why else would we spend this much time/money/energy on skating.. instead of investing in real estate or our retirements or something "worthwhile"? :lol: :twisted: :lol:

Team Arthritis
11-13-2006, 12:05 PM
I thought we ALL had a screw loose.. why else would we spend this much time/money/energy on skating.. instead of investing in real estate or our retirements or something "worthwhile"? :lol: :twisted: :lol:
:twisted: :frus: :lol: :roll: :P :D :giveup:
Lyle