View Full Version : Monday or Friday? (Practice Thread 11/04 to 11/12)

Rusty Blades
11-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Ok, I am cheating - I'm setting this one up to end on a MONDAY so I don't have to start the next one :evil: Since tomorrow is Monday morning, my least favorite time of the week, and Friday is my favorite, let's try this! ;)

Monday Morning: A good 1/2 hour of today’s session was pretty much wasted time when the young PA had her Jr. Starskate group lesson doing patterns that took up the whole ice! That pretty much shut down two private lessons and us few solo skaters. (If neither of the coaches say anything next week, I guess the old big mouth will!)

Still “Torture The Left Side Day” ;) Worked mainly on everything left again with backwards as a break.

I need at least one forward-to-back turn that works at speed so I started playing with my RFO3's, doing them at a much faster speed and on a shallow edge (almost straight). The LFI Mohawk is coming nicely but I still can’t do it as fast as the 3 Turn. Looks like it will be a horse race for the F/B turn!

Friday Afternoon: I can already see my backward is going to be my best skating (again) - even though it isn’t yet as developed, it is smoother, more balanced, and will be stronger. But I WANT MY BACK CROSS-OVERS!!!!

Terri C
11-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Friday Afternoon: I can already see my backward is going to be my best skating (again) - even though it isn’t yet as developed, it is smoother, more balanced, and will be stronger. But I WANT MY BACK CROSS-OVERS!!!!

I want your back crossovers!!
Monday:
Guys, I'm on the verge of going postal over Bronze moves! I'm doing everything short of killing myself (I bruised up my right knee yesterday) to get off the toepicks on the back crossovers. I fell on a Click of Death yesterday trying to do just that.

Friday:
Club ice is not as crowded as the weekday afternoon freestyle ice. Spins were not too bad.

Hannahclear
11-05-2006, 06:03 PM
First day of my "skating week." Warm-up day.

Monday morning: CANNOT get back camel/back sit to be consistent. Am trying really hard, but still missing it far too often. Three months till my competition though, so I guess there's some hope.

I now understand what I get when I skip out on axel attempts a few sessions in a row. Took me over a dozen attempts to win back my cheated one foot landing. But I did get it back and managed three like that. Must remember to do tomorrow in prep for Wed FS lesson!

My right forward power pulls are a joke. Sloths are faster.

Friday afternoon:

Jumps for program were all present and accounted for, including lutz/loop/toe combo. Landed flip/toe as well.

Am able to control back sit portion of change sit spin with much more ease. Am so in control that I can now count my revs and do at least four.

Moves weren't too bad today, aside from lame power pulls. My back cross strokes aren't there yet, I really don't understand how to get the first one and I wind up doing this weird wiggle before figuring it out. But the forward ones are ok. Three turns have come along, though it was a bit crowded for that pattern. 8 Step could be alot worse. It's exists and that makes me happy at this point. Hoping to test next May. We'll see. But it seems that there might be a realistic chance of that happening.

Mrs Redboots
11-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Guys, I'm on the verge of going postal over Bronze moves! I'm doing everything short of killing myself (I bruised up my right knee yesterday) to get off the toepicks on the back crossovers. I fell on a Click of Death yesterday trying to do just that.You are not alone, Terri! I don't have to do a back crossovers pattern (thankfully!) for my Dance Moves, but I do have to do tidy back crossovers around the end of the rink. And mine are not pretty or tidy or very crossed!

Coach is telling me to keep my back arm low, to keep my posture a little more upright (i.e. not bending forwards - my knees need to be more bent), and reminding me all the time to keep my weight over my inside hip. He then said I wasn't pushing with my outside foot, but I don't see how I can if all my weight is on the other leg, but that's coaches for you..... He did try to make himself clearer when I queried this, but I'm still confused....

But seriously, if you're having toepick issues, think of keeping your upper body more upright and your back arm lower and - need I say it - your knees a tad more bent (yes, I know - mine don't either!).

Skate@Delaware
11-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Monday: coach let me bask in the glory for about 3 seconds then it was back to work! She says that now I'm officiallly a competitor (as if the ISI comps dont' count?) so I need to step it ALL up a notch. Note: I had my new boots on....so she had me go through all the moves...Man! talk about difficult! Even edges were hard because of the lack of flexibility in these boots! They will come in time. She ran down the whole list and nit-picked and raised the bar. So now I have even more things to work on and strive for....:frus:

My ankles are swollen in the front...and slightly bruised. This will pass.

Friday: I'm breaking in my new boots....which normally would be a Monday, but I did some nice backspins today (still only 2 revs) because I could actually "feel" which edge I was on!!! My waltz jump is great and I can land it without toepick scratchiness! Salchows are painful but ok. Did some nice spins this morning and my crossovers are better!!! Really helps having nice boots that fit well!

Sk8pdx
11-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Hang in there Terri C! It is just one of those "Bad Ice Days" where everything is all messed up. I am confident you will do fine on your test coming up. Keep us posted and let us know how it goes. Glad to hear those spins are going well too!

Monday:
tis the season for crowded public sessions and so I couldn't practice jumps all that well.

Friday:
Picked up on the footwork in my holiday program. It just clicked today. Also I did practice loops today (because it still is pitifully small and I still could manage it in an over populated session). I noticed a different sensation on my right side. I can't articlulate it all but it was one of those "a-ha" moments. Just to add to the puzzle pieces of my loop and someday it will morph together into one big huge beautiful jump. I am also seeing better progress in both my camel and sit spins. overall a wonderful skating day today. :D

miraclegro
11-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Monday: Was still in NY - no ice time at that time. Got boots "tweaked" at Klingbeil. Enjoyed my NY visit very much!

Friday (has to count today/Sunday): I think my rt. boot is making me psycho! He tightened up the heel, and now i feel more forward in the boot than before! Any suggestions? Anyway, ran through the Christmas show program and looking pretty good! Got my lutz-loop back! Need consistency! Lost my left back 3/mohawks after broken ankle. Got that back more strongly today! Emotional high! Now about that bi-polar sit spin! traveling on and on.....

TimDavidSkate
11-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Practice? MOnday to Friday? None :twisted: taking the week off :halo:

jazzpants
11-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Monday:
Still no clean loop. Then again, I really didn't do any more than a couple.

Friday:

Flip sorta came back from vacation. Geez, a FINE DAY *IT* went on vacation! :twisted: (But glad that it's back again!) Out of 5 tries, I got 2 today.
Played around with catch-foot spirals today for the first time in a LOOOOONG time. It's not that bad for a first try...
Enjoying the moment that I no longer have to worry about testing and preparing for a test on a deadline. I definitely options now, as opposed to having to do something.Monday again:
I am very undecided what I'm going to do after passing this Bronze FS test! I have no idea what to pursue and how I should structure my training now. Sure I want to get my Silver Moves started. Sure I want to get all my "almosts" to an "actual" one. Sure I want to start on a new technical program now that I've officiall retired "Yanni." But I also am considering ice dancing too! *sigh* Decisions, decisions...quite overwhelming!!! (And I'm still getting used to the idea that I'm now officially a Bronze lady!) 8O

Friday again:
I have LOTS of time... and the right coaches, to help me make a decision! :D :bow:

Terri C: Sorry about you bashing your knee. :( Have hope! Your back crossovers should be there for you when your knee heals back up! (As it did for me when I bashed up my knees back in June too...)

dbny
11-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Well, I am totally confused by this thread. The title is dated 11/4 to 11/12, but everyone seems to be reporting on only Mondays and Fridays. Do we have a smiley for scratching one's head? Is this our regular weekly practice thread? If so, then it is starting now and we haven't had a Monday yet, right? I am soooo confused. Someone help me out here, please.

jazzpants
11-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Well, I am totally confused by this thread. The title is dated 11/4 to 11/12, but everyone seems to be reporting on only Mondays and Fridays. Do we have a smiley for scratching one's head? Is this our regular weekly practice thread? If so, then it is starting now and we haven't had a Monday yet, right? I am soooo confused. Someone help me out here, please.I think this week's thread concept is the typical work day week for most businesses, so if something is frustrating you, it's a "Monday!" If something is going well, it's in the "Friday" category. Got it now??? :)

Of course, if you're a hairdresser, the thread should be "Tuesday or Saturday" thread! (Or if you're Thin-Ice, "Sunday or Thursday.") LOL!!! :lol:

dbny
11-05-2006, 10:43 PM
I think this week's thread concept is the typical work day week for most businesses, so if something is frustrating you, it's a "Monday!" If something is going well, it's in the "Friday" category. Got it now??? :)

OMG, I am so dense sometimes! Somehow I was thinking about the thread starting on a Monday. Guess that's what I get for doing too many things at once and not paying proper attention. All I could think was "How can they be reporting on Monday, when it's still Sunday?" Well, I'm skating tomorrow, so I will have some Mondays and Fridays to report on Monday :lol:.

aussieskater
11-06-2006, 02:34 AM
Monday: For our (and her) sins, coach has put DH and me in the Xmas Show... 8O (group number for West Side Story - as her "most aged" currently available students, I think I'm cast as the godmother of one gang and DH as the godfather of the other...Zimmer frames to be parked at the rink entrance :) ), and we have a 30-sec spot to do by ourselves 8O ...

Friday: ...so today we managed to kludge the entire program without falling and got to the end and survived... :)

Monday: Coach said "now do it like you're not beginners..." 8O :roll: (but we are beginners, coach!)

Friday: ...But we managed to toe-scrape our way though it and not actually die.

Monday: Killian hold into a LFO 3turn (me) wasn't working at all...

Friday: ...so coach choreo'd a manageable work-around.

Monday: Now to fix the rest of the program, and make it look like we want to be there, and aren't really terrified out of our minds! :P .

Just remind me: why did I sign up for this?

Rusty Blades
11-06-2006, 05:03 AM
Well, I am totally confused by this thread. The title is dated 11/4 to 11/12, but everyone seems to be reporting on only Mondays and Fridays. Do we have a smiley for scratching one's head? Is this our regular weekly practice thread? If so, then it is starting now and we haven't had a Monday yet, right? I am soooo confused. Someone help me out here, please.

ROFL! I knew it would be confusing!

The practice threads USED to start on Monday and run to the following Sunday, which was fine because I don't skate Mondays :roll: Somehow they got switched a few weeks ago and were starting on Sundays. I skate Sunday so I ended up starting most of the practice threads - that's why I decided to make this thread one day longer and get it back to Mondays - so others would have a chance to start them.

Because I have started so many, I was running out of witty titles :( Since most of us work Monday to Friday, Monday is our least favorite day of the week and Friday are normally great because we're looking forward to the weekend. It is about "mood" rather than what the calandar says.

Mrs Redboots
11-06-2006, 06:50 AM
I think this week's thread concept is the typical work day week for most businesses, so if something is frustrating you, it's a "Monday!" If something is going well, it's in the "Friday" category. Got it now??? :)Oh, I thought that the good things were Monday Morning because it was a bright new start for the week, and the dire things were those awful hours on Friday afternoon when it seems like the week will never end....

Rusty Blades
11-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Oh, I thought that the good things were Monday Morning because it was a bright new start for the week, and the dire things were those awful hours on Friday afternoon when it seems like the week will never end....

Trust the British to have it the other way around! :mrgreen: ;)

dbny
11-06-2006, 09:49 AM
ROFL! I knew it would be confusing!
And yet you persisted! :roll: :lol:

The practice threads USED to start on Monday and run to the following Sunday

Which is part of what confused me. :frus:

Since most of us work Monday to Friday, Monday is our least favorite day of the week and Friday are normally great because we're looking forward to the weekend.

Work Monday to Friday? What's that? For the last 15 years of my "regular" job, I worked 12/3, with the 3 changing every quarter. DH works Sunday through Thursday.

This has all really been very amusing, and god knows, we can all use a bit of that lately!

doubletoe
11-06-2006, 12:54 PM
I want your back crossovers!!
Monday:
Guys, I'm on the verge of going postal over Bronze moves! I'm doing everything short of killing myself (I bruised up my right knee yesterday) to get off the toepicks on the back crossovers. I fell on a Click of Death yesterday trying to do just that.

Friday:
Club ice is not as crowded as the weekday afternoon freestyle ice. Spins were not too bad.

Terri, here are a few things to focus on:
1) Focus on middle of your blades, the part directly under your arch.
2) Focus on the side of each blade: the outside of the blade on the inside foot, and the inside of the blade on your outside foot.
3) Lean the upper body a little to the outside of the circle to balance out the way you're dropping your hip and leaning inside the circle from the waist down.
4) Keep the shoulder facign the inside of the circle pulled WAY back.
And of all of those things fail, get your blade sharpener to re-shape your rocker and shave off a little of your bottom toepick. It could be that your rocker has gone a little flat, so that your bottom pick is too close to the ice. My scraping on my back crossovers went away the day I mounted my new blades! :lol:

doubletoe
11-06-2006, 01:00 PM
I am very undecided what I'm going to do after passing this Bronze FS test! I have no idea what to pursue and how I should structure my training now. Sure I want to get my Silver Moves started. Sure I want to get all my "almosts" to an "actual" one. Sure I want to start on a new technical program now that I've officiall retired "Yanni." But I also am considering ice dancing too! *sigh* Decisions, decisions...quite overwhelming!!! (And I'm still getting used to the idea that I'm now officially a Bronze lady!) 8O

New program! New program! :mrgreen: :bow: :lol:

Skate@Delaware
11-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Monday: Tonight was dance class.....which means KNEE BEND and I'm still breaking in my new boots (I did tell her I was)...so she says "You have to BEND on this dance!" (the cha-cha)....:( I can't because they are NEW!!!! The front of my ankles are all bruised and sore....

Friday: getting of the ice!!!! I limped all the way to the lobby...ow! ow! ow! and it felt so good to get the skates off! But I sort of remember the cha-cha now!!! cha-cha-ow!

dbny
11-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Monday:
My left foot loves being barefoot in its boot, but my right foot seems to need a new bandage of some sort every time I skate. Today it was the Klingbeil label sewn into the inside ankle area. Of course, the blister on my big toe and the cuts along the top of the boot are still there too.

Friday:
Got in some good work on FI and FO threes and there is progress, but slower than I would like. I am also working on that T push, and today got 3/4 of the way across the rink on one. My goal is to make it all the way across with no lurch. CCW FXO's were still feeling good, though not so good as the CW ones.
BI edges down the continuous axis felt better than Fri when I first started them.
They scare me just a bit, since it was on a BI to BI edge transition that I broke my wrist.

Mrs Redboots
11-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Monday Morning: As it is Tuesday, the rink was packed out! Why is it that so many people are there by about 07:15 on a Tuesday morning, but it's usually still almost empty at the same time on a Wednesday?

Husband has gone to Wales on business, so we have swapped our lessons round for the week - I am going to be totally confused all week about which day it is!

Level 3 dance moves: Pretty dire. Couldn't get any knee-bend

Changes-of-edge: Awful. No speed. Coach said no edges either!

Most things: Slow and clunky and where was my knee-bend? My knees didn't hurt, they just didn't want to bend!

Rink beastly cold - kept my gloves on right through my lesson, which is unheard-of for me! Usually they come off, if they have been worn at all, straight after the warm-up.

Friday afternoon:

Actually managed back one-footed slaloms (I can't possibly call them edge pulls - they weren't on an edge!) on my left foot. First time ever - and in my lesson, too, how unusual is that? I got the right-footed ones a few days ago, but first time the coach has seen them. Obviously, they aren't great, but at least I can do a few.

Learnt that in the 14-step there are three places on the end pattern where you must extend, basically on the left forward outside steps. Coach is making me do it at half-speed to get into the habit, "because if you don't extend now, you never will!"

After my lesson, realised that even my 2-footed slaloms are very flat! I think I counter-balance the wrong way. However, did make a little progress on the dance moves.

quarkiki2
11-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Monday: Scratch spin still not a scratch spin. I did manage to get into it twice on one foot (which made me spin WAAAYY faster than when I tap down). I liked how it felt, but couldn't duplicate it, grrr!!! I still manage 4-5 revolutions, but am not getting my foot crossed. Blech!!

Toe loop and salchow still not getting into the air. Well, the toe loop did once, when I tacked it on after a 1/2 loop, but I cuoldn't duplicate that, either.

Tango stop and RFI bracket are happening, but not at speed.

Friday: Skittl123 met me for coffee after my practice! Fun chatting!!!

I got the ice almost to myself, for 15 minutes, so I practiced moves like mad. Got so much done in that time! Perimiter stroking is back to four pushes a side without losing flow, forward power perimeter stroking (Russian stroking) is four lobes per side, three crossovers around the ends. Worked on backwards power stroking and that's about 6 lobes a side (I'd like to get that to four, but need to make the change of edge more explosive, I think). Tried back crossovers to BO edges, but forgot how that pattern actually worked, D'oh!

And the best part: I did the backwards power circles center ice and fast! (for me) I alternated sides and managed to get three patterns per side in before my legs turned to jelly. I started dead center and was out past the big hockey circle in six crossovers -- it usually takes me so many more... Woot!! Yay quark!! I've never really felt likeskating fast, but have the last week or so and it felt great to really push myself and the speed. I know it only happened because I was out there alone, but yay anyway!!!!

looplover
11-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Monday morning: last time I ran through my program I ran out of music and the competition is saturday, yikes, nervous. Also did not receive my new dress from Seku and emailed them and did not get a response. lovely....

Friday afternoon: Loop is really consistent now! And did a picture perfect single flip this morning though not in the program. YAY

Rusty Blades
11-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Monday Morning" I should be on my way to the rink, but I’m not. I have had a nasty headache all day, took something for it mid-afternoon but it hasn’t gone away so I am going to stay home in the quiet and dark. WHAT A WIMP! 8O I have only missed two sessions since I started skating in January and that was when I sprained my ankle and couldn’t get my boot on for the pain. Today makes 3.

Friday Afternoon ??? Maybe I will work on my choreography - at least it's skating related. :roll:

Clare
11-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Monday Morning:
Busy session so didn't manage to get an awful lot done after group class was over.

Friday Afternoon:
I seem to have acquired a fairly consistent LFO 3 Turn...finally!!

Also felt a little more comfortable on the backward crossovers- am no longer feeling sheer terror when my foot leaves the ice which can only be an improvement!!

Clare

jazzpants
11-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Friday:

My secondary coach, still on her "waltz jump obsession" is FINALLY happy enough with my waltz jump that she can "move on to the salchow." (Yup! She finally got me to kick thru on the waltz jump! Yippee!!! :mrgreen:)

Monday:
Unfortunately she found a new item to pick on me about... my backspin!!! :twisted: (Yup! I am guilty of spinning and falling to an inside edge. :oops: ) So we're probably gonna work on those along with the salchow next. 8O She also warned me that parts of learning the backspin is gonna require a "willingness to risk falling on my backspin." *Sigh* I better get my butt pads on for those then... Oops! Forgot I'm not allowed to wear any protective pads!!! EEEEK!!! 8O

dbny
11-07-2006, 05:52 PM
[B]
Unfortunately she found a new item to pick on me about... my backspin!!! :twisted: (Yup! I am guilty of spinning and falling to an inside edge. :oops: ) So we're probably gonna work on those along with the salchow next. 8O She also warned me that parts of learning the backspin is gonna require a "willingness to risk falling on my backspin." *Sigh* I better get my butt pads on for those then... Oops! Forgot I'm not allowed to wear any protective pads!!! EEEEK!!! 8O

Have you noticed how that "mistake" is a plus in elite competition when done deliberately? I love it!

Just out of curiosity, how old is the coach that won't let you wear protective pads? There is a certain point at which one's body is injured so much more easily and heals so much more slowly that it is just plain dumb not to try to protect it. I'm not suggesting that you are at that point, since you're still a kid compared to me, but you are headed that way :twisted:.

Skittl1321
11-08-2006, 06:45 AM
Monday I hate those stupid ballet jumps. And I'm kind of worried I'm learning the wrong thing anyway. We just do it as an up down jump, but the videos and descriptions I've seen online are all rotated a half revolution. I asked the skate director if she had ever seen them rotated, and she said no- it might be an ISI thing, but they aren't doing ISI anymore. Either way, I hate ballet jumps.

The kids in my class are also driving me mad. Well, one of them.

They are raising the price of public ice at the rink. If they don't raise the price of freestyle, it's looking more and more attractice.

Friday Both my pivots and my waltz jumps were used as examples today. I was told to do my back pivot and she pointed out how smooth the pivot was and how graceful my arms were (we were asked to make up fancy arms). It made me feel good about myself. I love back pivots. I can go around like 4 times on a single push now, I used to barely be able to make it halfway.

Mrs Redboots
11-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Friday afternoon: Excellent practice. Coach had suggested we skate round with a ball or something between our shoulders to keep them together. We didn't want to use a ball, as it might cause an accident if it fell out, but yesterday I remembered the little padded stars that Roblichtefeld had thrown on the ice for us, and put one in my skate bag (turns out that Husband's was still in his skate bag as he'd never got round to taking it out after the Mountain Cup!). We actually managed to skate round the rink, both in Kilian and Reverse Kilian holds, without dropping it once! That will definitely be part of our routine from now on.

Solo I ran through my dance moves and various edges, the end pattern of the 14-step and Fiesta (also with Husband), and back inside edges. These, as in the Prelim Field Moves, were great - but when I tried to make them back swing rolls as in the new Skating Moves, it was totally another matter!

Monday morning: Backwards skating in Kilian,! I don't know what it is, but I simply can't get any kneebend or push. It was better when the coach moved Husband's hand to get his shoulders in the right place. So although it's partly my own inadequacies as a skater, it's also his!

Worked on the beginning of the Foxtrot, since we can never manage it. Coach showed us where we should be in relation to each other, but.... In waltz hold, my right and his left shoulder keep drifting apart, and it's so hard not to break at the waist. I think I shall try to wear a thick belt when skating, so that I can feel when I do! Couple no 1 (the couple who came 2nd at the British Adult championships) were having their lesson at the same time as us, and we were both working on waltz hold at the same time. And nearly had a collision when they went one way and we went the other - straight into them!

Meanwhile, I did laugh at Husband's efforts at one-footed slaloms (I hasten to add that I doubt mine were any better). Instead of rising and falling in the knee to change edge, he was hunching his shoulders and lowering them, and the overall effect was very funny indeed!

And Finally: My spies tell me that FRBSkate63 passed her Level 1 Elements and Free this morning - CONGRATULATIONS!

Isk8NYC
11-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Friday Afternoon:
I've been so run down this week, I have NOTHING good to report. (Although one of my fav students landed her LOOP a few times during our lesson!) Hopefully, I'll get in some ice time for myself this week.

Monday Morning:
Went to an ISI workshop that included an on-ice demonstration/session. I learned/relearned a cross-foot spin! I did it really crappily, but I was thrilled. The woman who walked me through it is recovering from a double 8O hip replacement - I felt so pathetic compared to her.

jazzpants
11-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Have you noticed how that "mistake" is a plus in elite competition when done deliberately? I love it!Yeah, I know. When I showed it to a former secondary coach a few years back and told him to fix it, since my primary coach is not happy about it. He said that he's actually impressed that I could actually spin on the inside edge in the first place! :lol: :P :twisted:

Just out of curiosity, how old is the coach that won't let you wear protective pads? There is a certain point at which one's body is injured so much more easily and heals so much more slowly that it is just plain dumb not to try to protect it. I'm not suggesting that you are at that point, since you're still a kid compared to me, but you are headed that way :twisted:.Actually, BOTH coaches won't let me! Primary coach is in his mid-40's (he's older than me... Nyah, nyah!!! :twisted: :P ) and secondary coach is mid-30's (I'm older.) And, hell, I know I'm headed that way in age! LOL!!! :lol: (She better let me starting on my next birthday!!! LOL!!!)

And to be fair, secondary coach will allow me to wear butt pads when I'm working on a jump that requires a lot of falls and knee pads and freshly Zam'ed smooth ice when I'm working on lunges (back when I was working on my artistic program.) (Read: NOT *THAT* cruel!!! :twisted: :lol: )

Skate@Delaware
11-08-2006, 11:55 AM
I don't know, jazzpants....maybe you should press the issue, at least while you are learning. Once you mostly "have" it, then ditch the pads. I wear pads during practice and lessons, but sometimes ditch them. My coach lets me know if we are going to do something "grueling" and I put them on. But 99% of the time my falls have hit where I'm not padded....must be Murphy's Law Of Skating!

But to be fair, it's not a big issue with my coach and she feels whatever it takes to gain my confidence on ice is worth it. Pads have helped me gain tons of confidence with working on the loop and back crossovers.

doubletoe
11-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Monday
My program run-through this morning! I am hard pressed to think of something I DIDN'T mess up! LOL!

Friday
Fortunately, my program was the least of my concerns this morning; I really just needed to do a run-through to maintain my stamina. My focus today was my Intermediate MIF, since I'm testing tomorrow! Thankfully, my coach noticed when I started dropping my right shoulder on the third LBO power 3-turn on my perimeter power 3's and pointed it out. So I focused on keeping that shoulder up and then the next set was perfect! This valuable little fix is coming not a moment too soon, since that's the one move on the test that's still been "borderline" this week.
My coach was really "on" this morning. He also noticed for the first time that I have my landing foot turned out when I'm in the air on my double salchow and he realized that's why I keep having that little cheat on the landing (in other words, I am not really under-rotated). That 1/4-turn shift that keeps happening on the landing edge is just my foot straightening itself out once I hit the ice. All this time I was wondering why I wasn't getting a clean landing edge and now I finally know how to fix it! Yay!

kateskate
11-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Monday
Argh lots. Free skating teacher is off this week with a bad back. Dance teacher looked at my field moves and pretty much said I was unlikely to pass. Told me I had to 'manage my expectations' for the test.

Feeling a little sad :cry:

Friday
Spoke to free skating teacher and she said that she didn't want him looking at the field moves in case he made me think I was going to fail - too late - and that she wouldn't have put me in if she didn't think I could do them.

Practised axels and axels in various combinations with amandaskategirl :D as she was down for a few days - was lots of fun. As always. Some were better - from both of us.

Terri C
11-08-2006, 06:25 PM
And of all of those things fail, get your blade sharpener to re-shape your rocker and shave off a little of your bottom toepick. It could be that your rocker has gone a little flat, so that your bottom pick is too close to the ice. My scraping on my back crossovers went away the day I mounted my new blades! :lol:

Actually, I'm looking into this, It seems as if the toe scraping is more prominent on the left blade than the right. Since I will not be skating until Monday, I have given my skates to my sharpener. We'll see what happens.

Monday:
Since I've been slaving over moves, my freestyle elements have gone out the window. It seems my body has forgotten how to jump.

Friday:
After two good lessons with both coaches this week, I'm no longer going postal over Bronze moves. Even Primary Coach was happy with power threes today!!:mrgreen:
I think I need this four day break from the ice.

dbny
11-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Monday:
I'm on a break also. I was going to skate yesterday, but got up late, voted, and then it was too late. Today it's pouring rain and so dreary that I couldn't drag myself out.

Friday:
My poor R foot is grateful for the rest. I've been using the gel blister pads, but they seem to re-open wounds that don't have a thick layer of skin yet. Even the little red mark where the Klingbeil label had irritated my ankle was bigger and oozy when I took the gel pad off. When I go back tomorrow, I'm using regular bandaids with moleskin over them where necessary.

Rusty Blades
11-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Friday (before a long weekend!): :mrgreen: In lesson tonight we ran through my whole repertoire (which fortunately is getting always larger! - everything up to and including Mohawks) and cleaned up some rough spots and polished some "style". When her other skater didn’t show up, we doubled my lesson time and went on to “footwork” - stringing turns together - and Saturday we start on backward lunges. As well as refining the forward stroking (style!) she has added 10 minutes of backward stroking on the circle (on each foot) to my solo practice - I am soon going to need a checklist to make sure I cover everything! We also discussed the competition and “technical strategy”. I am actually starting to feel like "a figure skater" and might have a shot at the top half of the field (instead of the bottom half - LOL!)

All in all, an excellent session despite having missed yesterday’s practice.

Monday Morning: ?? I can't think of any . . . 8-) . . well, maybe that I don't skate again until Saturday and I am so pumped up I'd like to skate again tomorrow! :roll:

Rusty Blades
11-08-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm testing tomorrow!

Good luck Toe!

doubletoe
11-08-2006, 10:23 PM
As well as refining the forward stroking (style!) she has added 10 minutes of backward stroking on the circle (on each foot) to my solo practice

Wow! That's not easy! (and I'm assuming you must have fairly empty freestyle sessions?)

And thank you for the well wishes! (fingers crossed for tomorrow!)

doubletoe
11-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Monday
Argh lots. Free skating teacher is off this week with a bad back. Dance teacher looked at my field moves and pretty much said I was unlikely to pass. Told me I had to 'manage my expectations' for the test.

Friday
Spoke to free skating teacher and she said that she didn't want him looking at the field moves in case he made me think I was going to fail - too late - and that she wouldn't have put me in if she didn't think I could do them.

When do you test your field moves, Kate? And don't listen to dance people; they have completely different standards, LOL! Listen to your main coach. Besides, judges generally want to pass you . . . or so I hear. ;)

jazzpants
11-09-2006, 12:59 AM
Fortunately, my program was the least of my concerns this morning; I really just needed to do a run-through to maintain my stamina. My focus today was my Intermediate MIF, since I'm testing tomorrow!YAAAAAY!!! GO DOUBLETOE!!! You can do it!!!

http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/sportlich/c025.gif

I'll be waiting for details too, of course! ;)

kateskates: Take the test! Screw the dance coach!!! Nothing ventured, nothing gain... :lol:

I don't know, jazzpants....maybe you should press the issue, at least while you are learning. Once you mostly "have" it, then ditch the pads. I wear pads during practice and lessons, but sometimes ditch them. My coach lets me know if we are going to do something "grueling" and I put them on. But 99% of the time my falls have hit where I'm not padded....must be Murphy's Law Of Skating!Trust me! I tried for years... they wouldn't let up on the no pad rule.

samba
11-09-2006, 01:43 AM
Monday

Friday

Practised axels and axels in various combinations with amandaskategirl :D as she was down for a few days - was lots of fun. As always. Some were better - from both of us.

What a cheap shot!! Listen to your free coach he/she knows best.

kateskate
11-09-2006, 03:55 AM
When do you test your field moves, Kate? And don't listen to dance people; they have completely different standards, LOL! Listen to your main coach. Besides, judges generally want to pass you . . . or so I hear. ;)

Test is on 27th Nov. I am beginning to realise that I shouldn't get dance teacher's input on free skating moves. Plus he even said he didn't know what they were looking for in the test - but still told me that I wasn't a comfortable pass. I'm going to listen to my free skating coach - she would not put me in if I couldn't do it. She has an excellent test record - only 2 fails ever.

kateskate
11-09-2006, 03:56 AM
What a cheap shot!! Listen to your free coach he/she knows best.

I think he thought he was helping. I spoke to free skating coach and she made me feel happier. Plus dance coach is too much of a perfectionist and yes there are errors but I still think I am skating it to test standard.

kateskate
11-09-2006, 04:47 AM
Monday
My focus today was my Intermediate MIF, since I'm testing tomorrow!

GOOD LUCK. Am sure you'll be fine

Mrs Redboots
11-09-2006, 05:27 AM
But 99% of the time my falls have hit where I'm not padded....must be Murphy's Law Of Skating!It is. My coach says he never discourages his pupils from padding since they learn, in time, that they always fall on the one bit of themselves that isn't padded!

quarkiki2
11-09-2006, 08:44 AM
Wednesday Night (Since some was Monday and some was Friday, LOL!)

Synchro practice: We decided on a dress, finally!!! Order goes in today. Maybe we'll have them in time for the Christmas show, maybe not...

We adjusted our placements in the beginning of the program and it's working a bit better. Had to convice one of the skaters to "just take off" and "hope the rest of the line catches you". Seemed to work better. Our line does pretty well most times, we have one skater in the middle that is up on her toepicks and not using the undercut on the back crosses, so there's sort of a caterpillar effect, but we're getting where we need to be when we need to be there -- it would just be easier and quieter if we'd all sit back a bit.

Had a bit of a lightbulb moment when I realized that by using full pushes on both legs, the crossovers feel 7,000 percent more stable and, I'm sure, look far less choppy. Duh!!

My pairs spiral is very comfortable and steady -- coach is happy with my partner and me. I'm just glad that I'm not the one doing the pivot, LOL! My BO pivots are pretty putrid, though they are a little better when I'm anchoring a spiral -- somehow it's easier for me to get my weight all the way back there if I'm leaning against someone.

We made a slight modification to the circle footwork -- now it's (IMO) harder. I'll have to practice a bit.

doubletoe
11-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Test is on 27th Nov. I am beginning to realise that I shouldn't get dance teacher's input on free skating moves. Plus he even said he didn't know what they were looking for in the test - but still told me that I wasn't a comfortable pass. I'm going to listen to my free skating coach - she would not put me in if I couldn't do it. She has an excellent test record - only 2 fails ever.

Yes, I have found that dancers have their own way of doing these edges and turns and will be critical of the way non-dancers do them. I've also heard of some judges NOT wanting them done in a "dance-y" style on field moves tests. If your main coach has such a good success rate with moves tests, then she knows what the judges are looking for and knows whether you are able to deliver that or not. You don't have to do them beautifully or perfectly, you just have to enable the judges to go down their list of specific criteria and go, "Check, check, check" as they watch your test. ;)

Rob Dean
11-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Monday: I lost two of my usual skating days to a business trip at the beginning of this week, so I'm viewing everything with a bit of a jaundiced eye this week. So, it was no surprise when I was hacking through the APBM 3 turn patterns this morning with little flow or gracefulness. I've got to buckle down and practice the moves more efficiently if I'm going to test them in January or February...

Friday: At least I got in a decent lesson this morning, and coach says the Fiesta end pattern is improving. I've also started looking ahead at some of the bronze dance elements for amusement--and it's nice to think that I'll actually get there some day.:)

Rob

kateskate
11-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Monday
My focus today was my Intermediate MIF, since I'm testing tomorrow!

AND???????? Its now tomorrow! :D

doubletoe
11-09-2006, 01:57 PM
AND???????? Its now tomorrow! :D

Ha ha! Yes, it is! I will be testing at 6:30 this evening (6-1/2 hours from now). I'm going to leave work at 2:00pm so I can go warm up at a different rink from 4:00 to 5:00 first. :)

kateskate
11-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Ha ha! Yes, it is! I will be testing at 6:30 this evening (6-1/2 hours from now). I'm going to leave work at 2:00pm so I can go warm up at a different rink from 4:00 to 5:00 first. :)

Ah ok forgot the time difference - stupid me!:oops:

GOOD LUCK!

SK8RX
11-09-2006, 02:50 PM

Doubletoe, good luck on that Intermediate moves test! Kudos for taking on the challenge! :) GANBATTE!

jazzpants
11-09-2006, 07:47 PM
(Jazzpants biting nails for doubletoe on her test in about less than an hour... http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gif )

Friday:

I'm finally getting around to doing more jumps at a more casual and relaxed pace... though not by much!!! :twisted:
Jay introduced me to two new nemesis: The lutz and the back-sit!!! :D
Waltz: Jay likes the lift and the new kick thru that secondary coach had me working on. :DMonday:

Couldn't he wait 'til I get my camel at least to start me on the backsit??? (Or even more importantly, an honest to goodness backspin that spins on a BO edge???) 8O EEEEK!!! (I only eeked out about 2 revs. on the camel now... barely!!!) :roll:
Jay introduced me to two new nemesis: The lutz and the back-sit!!! *GULP*8O
No clean loop landed :evil:
Only landed one clean flip :D , but the height was wimpy!!! :x (He drilled me on getting more lift on my flip jump!)
Showed him what I have of the forward power pulls. He said "I see the outside edge but where's the inside edge????" (Meaning outside edge-flat, outside edge/flat...) :frus:

Skate@Delaware
11-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Monday....definitely a Monday as there was only 1/2 day of school somewhere so some kids decided to crash my rink! There went my peace and solitude and back edge practice!!!! I worked on other things and by the time I got off the ice, some skin had rubbed off the front of my ankle....ewww!!!!! Tried to run through some elements of my program...breathing was a problem as the chest is congested. Almost got knocked over by our resident "oldest figure skater guy" as he was skating backwards and not looking (he was doing routine stuff with headphones on)-when i said excuse me I was told "there's plenty of ice. You know where I'm skating" 8O "Ok, yeah like it's a public session," I said.:twisted: Whatever.

Friday....hit the rink in the form of some very good fast centered spins! Of course, taking some decongestants helped...and not rushing! Managed to actually KICK through on some waltz jumps and got up the courage once again to attack some toe-loops at speed, but they were wimpy (maybe because I still can't bend in these boots). The new boots are good for crossovers though! I can "feel" where my feet are on the ice and can feel my edges! Although there were a few "toepick" moments...8O but no crashes to report!

Helped a young girl with her back swizzles....she forgot what she was supposed to do, poor thing! Then I forgot which foot I'm to take off on for that 3-turn pattern....I had it down now I'm forgetting. Oh well.

NoVa Sk8r
11-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Couldn't he wait 'til I get my camel at least to start me on the backsit??? (Or even more importantly, an honest to goodness backspin that spins on a BO edge???) 8O EEEEK!!! Not that this will specifically apply to you, but I learned a flying camel (many years before, in fact), the back camel, and back sit long before I was able to do a decent back scratch spin. As someone who LOVES to spin, the back scratch was always my :oops: :( :evil: :giveup: spin. (But I'm glad to say I conquered that bugger many moons ago. 8-) )

doubletoe
11-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Monday. . . early morning. . . and it's tax day! : :twisted:

Well, this evening I got my very first "retry" on a MIF test! :(
My coach told me on Tuesday that everything looked passing other than the back power 3's and that my strong power circles would make up for it. But I had 4 forces working against me this evening:

- Hard ice (temperature just dropped 10 degrees today)
- Dull blades (sharpener was gone last week, then I couldn't go this week)
- Nerves (especially on the back power 3's!)
- Our 3 toughest judges (they were there for someone's Senior FS test)

I don't mind the "not passing" part so much; it's the "retry" part I don't like! I am sooooo sick of these moves I was just hoping to never have to do them again after tonight! :giveup:
But thanks for your good wishes everyone! I'm glad you guys are always here for the disappointments as well as the victories. You're the best! :halo:

Lauren

jazzpants
11-10-2006, 12:33 AM
(((((Doubletoe)))))

I'm so sorry, Lauren!!! I was really hoping that you'd have something to bring back. :cry: It doesn't sound like Int. Moves are that easy to pass from what I've been reading here on the boards and stuff...

How many points were you to passing that test, if you don't mind me asking? If you weren't that far off, get signed up for the next one as soon as possible. Sounds like you had a lot working against you and maybe the next time around wouldn't be so bad.

If it's any consolation, I was warned that the back power 3's is probably *the* "b****" move of all the Int. Moves elements. Don't know how true it is but that's what I've heard. And... you got LOTS of notes from the judges, so you know what you have to work on and you'll kick ice booty the next time you take this test again. :D

SkatingOnClouds
11-10-2006, 02:51 AM
Talk about a Friday being a Monday !!!

I got up at 5.40am this fine Friday morning - and I am not a morning person - bolted down breakfast and drove off to the rink. Get there, get the skates on, down to the ice to find .....

it hadn't been touched since last night's public session. Hockey skater spray frozen into lumps everywhere. I got on, did a couple of strokes then a 2 foot glide, well at least I didn't glide it was so rough. Bad enough when it is like that for a public session. Worse when it is like it for a skating club practise session. But this is a specific, private session for 6 skaters. It is the one time we can really work on our jumps, spins etc without having to watch out for the little kids or beginners or whatever.

So we complained to management who agreed our payment will carry over to next week's session. The lady was nice about it, and it wasn't her fault.

Ah well, that's my Monday of a Friday for you. I suppose the good thing is that I got to work way early and built up some flexi time.:roll:

kateskate
11-10-2006, 04:03 AM
Monday. . . early morning. . . and it's tax day! : :twisted:

Well, this evening I got my very first "retry" on a MIF test! :(
My coach told me on Tuesday that everything looked passing other than the back power 3's and that my strong power circles would make up for it. But I had 4 forces working against me this evening:

- Hard ice (temperature just dropped 10 degrees today)
- Dull blades (sharpener was gone last week, then I couldn't go this week)
- Nerves (especially on the back power 3's!)
- Our 3 toughest judges (they were there for someone's Senior FS test)

I don't mind the "not passing" part so much; it's the "retry" part I don't like! I am sooooo sick of these moves I was just hoping to never have to do them again after tonight! :giveup:
But thanks for your good wishes everyone! I'm glad you guys are always here for the disappointments as well as the victories. You're the best! :halo:

Lauren

Oh no! I'm so sorry! Take it again as soon as you can and be rid of those moves!!!

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2006, 06:08 AM
Oh, bad luck, Lauren! Poor you - I know what you mean about being sick of moves.....

Definitely Monday: Even though today is Friday, I had one of those nightmarish days when nothing, but nothing, worked! You'd think I'd never done my level 3 Dance Moves in my life before, I simply couldn't get the cross-cuts to work at all. I dropped down to the level 2 Moves to work on the changes-of-edge (my coach thinks I need to revisit them), and my shoulders wouldn't do what they were supposed to do, which was the whole point of revisiting them! When I worked on the end pattern of the 14-step I wasn't getting the extension my coach wants and kept bottling the Mohawk, and on the Fiesta Tango end pattern I wasn't getting off my toe-rakes at all.

With Husband, I felt that when we were skating round in Reverse Kilian hold, I couldn't get a decent LFO edge to save my life, I'm sure he was pulling me off-balance. Actually, doing runs round the circle did help with that, it was better once we'd done a circle and then went off down the rink. In waltz hold, he kept trying to push me far too much to one side of him, and my right/his left shoulder kept flying apart. In shoulder hold, I couldn't do a LFO swing roll at all, don't know if that was him or me; it felt as though it was him, because I normally don't have trouble finding my balance like that.

And we forgot, or ran out of time, or both, to do any work on going backwards together, or in Foxtrot hold together.

Monday: Well, I suppose I did manage to do a fast, clean lap of back inside edges (I like those!). And earlier I managed nearly half a length of one-footed slaloms on my right foot going backwards - and I can nearly do all four feet (if you see what I mean!). No edges to speak of as yet, but at least they move.

Husband and I managed to skate round in both Kilian and Reverse Kilian holds (including going round the circle in Reverse Kilian, as mentioned above) with the star between our shoulders, and didn't drop it once. My aim is to be able to do the Novice Foxtrot and/or the Dutch Waltz and the Canasta Tango with it in place! It really does help with keeping our shoulders moving as one.

But by and large, it was a ghastly skate day! We all have them, and I suppose I was overdue one.....

Team Arthritis
11-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Hey 2toes, sorry to hear about the retry but THANKS for posting about your experiences, makes us all feel better about our "retries".
Lyle

sk8pics
11-10-2006, 09:14 AM
doubletoe,
So sorry to hear about your retry. But hang in there and you will get it next time!

doubletoe
11-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks, everybody. :)
Well, the only move where all 3 judges had me passing or above was the backward power circles and the only move that was nowhere near passing was the perimeter back power 3's. On the second CW pattern of back power 3's I didn't get my pattern angled quite right at the start of the first one and I ended up going into the boards on turn #3. I hadn't done that in awhile and thought I had fixed that pattern problem, but we all know how tests and competitions all make our skating wacky! I was also a little shaky on the CCW ones due to nerves.
So on the back power 3's I only got 2.9 (passing is 3.2). The back power circles were 3.2 - 3.3, the forward power circles were 3.1, the back double 3's were 3.0 - 3.1, the brackets were 3.1 and the slide chasse was 3.1. I am not too worried about the forward power circles and slide chasse because the problem on both of those was blade slippage, which can be fixed with a sharpening. And the little spot I got stuck on the brackets was just due to nerves, I think, since it was not something I normally do.
For the first time, they actually cared about presentation. For example, I always extended the free leg and pointed my toes on my back double 3's and that was considered fine on my Adult Gold test, but that was inadequate on this test. I was told that extension isn't just in the free leg but in the whole body (so now I'm going to have to figure out what the heck "extension" is). And it looks like the 0.1 below passing on most of the moves was due to overall impression/presentation rather than any specific mistakes ("looked cautious" or "did not look confident" were comments I saw), which were comments I never saw on my adult tests.
In summary, I can now say for sure that--at least with our judges--they are serious about that 0.2 point difference between passing Adult Gold and passing Intermediate, and that 0.2 feels more like 0.5!

cecealias
11-10-2006, 01:07 PM
I was told that extension isn't just in the free leg but in the whole body (so now I'm going to have to figure out what the heck "extension" is). And it looks like the 0.1 below passing on most of the moves was due to overall impression/presentation rather than any specific mistakes ("looked cautious" or "did not look confident" were comments I saw), which were comments I never saw on my adult tests.

Yes indeed. I think on this test judges start getting really serious about seeing you use the whole body line and skating the test with the "eat your heart out" kind of look.

I have plenty of tips and suggestions if you're interested - just PM me!;)

doubletoe
11-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Yes indeed. I think on this test judges start getting really serious about seeing you use the whole body line and skating the test with the "eat your heart out" kind of look.

I have plenty of tips and suggestions if you're interested - just PM me!;)

Okay, I'm all ears! :D PM on the way. . .

SK8RX
11-10-2006, 02:54 PM
This manual on the USFS website is very informative. http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/MIFSchoolManual.pdf

If you look at the chart at the end of the document it delineates the progresson of skating skills the judges are expecting to see demonstrated.

Lauren, knowing what a hard worker you are, I'm sure you'll do fine the next time you test! :D

Isk8NYC
11-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Monday Morning:
The nearest rink had a very inexpensive series of public sessions. Since my cold is finally on it's way out, I went there but only had about 20 minutes to skate. Now my feet hurt because my skates were cold and I tied them very quickly and badly. Oh well, any ice time is better than nothing, right?

Still struggling with those threes-on-the-line, but I'm getting better. I don't know what my block is with these things.

I have to do about five sit spins before I start to center the spins on this ice. Tried (and failed) to do my new cross-foot spin. Probably needed to actually warm up, LOL. (ETA: Wait! It's probably because I can't keep my legs crossed and straight WITHOUT skates, either! teehee)

Friday Afternoon: (Which it IS right now!)
The rink wasn't crowded and there were only a few PITAs that skated through the middle. Still, I didn't try any camel spins, just in case they were dumb PITAs.

Practiced the new three-turn pattern for adult moves.
Rock-solid when I start on my right, not as good on my left (which is harder to practice against traffic.)

Nailed all but two sit spins, same thing for scratch spins. Ran out of time before I could try any real backspins.

I have very good spirals - need more stretch, but they're still very good and strong.

doubletoe
11-10-2006, 03:17 PM
This manual on the USFS website is very informative. http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/MIFSchoolManual.pdf

If you look at the chart at the end of the document it delineates the progresson of skating skills the judges are expecting to see demonstrated.

Lauren, knowing what a hard worker you are, I'm sure you'll do fine the next time you test! :D

Oh yes, I have a heavily highlighted copy of this in my skating bag, LOL!

mikawendy
11-10-2006, 06:23 PM
For the first time, they actually cared about presentation. For example, I always extended the free leg and pointed my toes on my back double 3's and that was considered fine on my Adult Gold test, but that was inadequate on this test. I was told that extension isn't just in the free leg but in the whole body (so now I'm going to have to figure out what the heck "extension" is).

In one of the best intermediate moves tests I've seen, the young skater had the most beautiful extension on her forward and backward power circles. During the glide after finishing the move, her fingertip of her free arm, her arm, torso, leg, and all the way to the toe of her free leg formed one long, stretched line. She had similar stretch during the power circles, too. Before each move of the test, she presented as though she were beginning a free skate program (gliding on one leg with the other extended and pointed in front and arms raised).

ITA about "figuring out what the heck 'extension' is." In one of my moves tests, one judge marked that I had nice extension my stroking; the other wrote a big X and "no extension"! :lol: :frus:

doubletoe
11-10-2006, 06:44 PM
In one of the best intermediate moves tests I've seen, the young skater had the most beautiful extension on her forward and backward power circles. During the glide after finishing the move, her fingertip of her free arm, her arm, torso, leg, and all the way to the toe of her free leg formed one long stretched line. She had similar stretch during the power circles, too. Before each move of the test, she presented as though she were beginning a free skate program (gliding on one leg with the other extended and pointed in front and arms raised).

ITA about "figuring out what the heck 'extension' is. In one of my moves tests, one judge marked that I had nice extension my stroking; the other wrote a big X and "no extension"! :lol: :frus:

No kidding! LOL! I find the extension part relatively straightforward on the final exit edges of the power circles and slide chasse, but it's the extension on the back double 3's that confounds me. You only have a second to do that "extension" stuff, so what do you do when you only have a second? In my case, it's pull my free leg up and point it as if to say, "Look! Extension!" LOL!

mikawendy
11-10-2006, 06:48 PM
No kidding! LOL! I find the extension part relatively straightforward on the final exit edges of the power circles and slide chasse, but it's the extension on the back double 3's that confounds me. You only have a second to do that "extension" stuff, so what do you do when you only have a second? In my case, it's pull my free leg up and point it as if to say, "Look! Extension!" LOL!

Maybe they're also looking at extension of the upper body (upright torso instead of hunched over), head up, arms and fingertips extended? (But I've seen your FS videos and you do all that already....)

Rusty Blades
11-10-2006, 07:37 PM
BIG @%#$^%$ MONDAY! After insisting that there would be regular skating tomorrow (Rememberence Day, Nov. 11) I just found out it is cancelled!

doubletoe
11-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Maybe they're also looking at extension of the upper body (upright torso instead of hunched over), head up, arms and fingertips extended? (But I've seen your FS videos and you do all that already....)

Heck, I don't know, maybe I don't do it on back double 3's? I'm beginning to feel like I know absolutely nothing! :giveup:

jazzpants
11-11-2006, 12:53 AM
Heck, I don't know, maybe I don't do it on back double 3's? I'm beginning to feel like I know absolutely nothing! :giveup:Given that you've just given me one of the best tips I've ever taken on my flip entry, I DOUBT THAT!!! LOL!!! :twisted: :lol: :P

Keep working on it!!! If/when you DO feel discouraged, tell yourself that I've worked very hard on these moves and I'll be da**ed to not keep going 'til I get that PASS!!! :twisted: (Or at least that worked for me after my second retry on Bronze Moves...) :lol:

Amandaskategirl
11-11-2006, 03:26 AM
Monday
– my axels this week have declined a lot after the success which I had had with them last week. I am now back to landing them half a turn short and I am not pulling in tight enough. My feet are crossed too loosely and I am not quick enough to pull in. I am going to go back to practising lots of three jump- backspins and standstill axels to get my feet right again.
- my interbronze field moves felt wobbly and just not right.

Friday
– camel spins felt much better than they have done in a long while! I didn’t feel like I needed to try so hard to make them spin. I practiced a few camel-sits and camel-sit-sits which were somewhat successful. My sit spins need to be much lower but at least I was able to do the change and continue spinning.
- My single jumps up to a flip felt nice.
- My attempts at double loops were not too bad. I got 1.75 turns on it several times even though they were not very high. Why can’t I turn one and a half turns on the axel? :??

doubletoe
11-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Given that you've just given me one of the best tips I've ever taken on my flip entry, I DOUBT THAT!!! LOL!!! :twisted: :lol: :P

Keep working on it!!! If/when you DO feel discouraged, tell yourself that I've worked very hard on these moves and I'll be da**ed to not keep going 'til I get that PASS!!! :twisted: (Or at least that worked for me after my second retry on Bronze Moves...) :lol:

YEAH!! You DID show those moves who was boss! :D I will endeavor to do the same.

Debbie S
11-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Sorry to hear about your retry, doubletoe. But keep plugging away, and you'll soon be done with those moves!

Friday:
Skated on a couple of near-empty (by Sat standards) FS sessions this morning and got a lot of work done on moves. 8-step is getting quicker, and I think I'm getting my FO mohawks on an outside edge. B/c of the light attendance, I was able to identify my tracings on the 3-turn patterns and I could see that most of them were placed correctly and were on the correct edges - some of the back 3's were still a tad early and wiggly.

Was able to do back sit-back scratch from a back pivot. Also landed a few flips here and there, although I'm not sure they're recognizable as jumps yet - lol.

Monday:
Why is it that I can do a back sit from a back pivot, starting in an upright position, and not do one from a forward sit, when I'm already in sit position? :frus: I guess it's an issue of coordination on the foot change and weight shift. And the camel is still a battle.

Cross rolls are still giving me trouble, esp the back ones, but I got a tip from another adult skater on holding the edge a little longer before stepping, and it seemed to make things better. My goal is to be able to discuss testing with my coach within a few months (notice I said "discuss testing", not actually test - lol) w/o her thinking I'm crazy. :halo:

jazzpants
11-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Debbie: I think your Friday practice is very similar to my practice today.

Monday: Can't do a back pivot spin from a forward spin as well unless I was doing it at a slower speed. As for back sit... as the Fonz would say "AAAAAYYYY!!! SIT ON IT!!!" (Or rather that's what I SHOULD be doing! It's currently more like a back squat spin right now! :twisted: LOL!!! :lol: )

CROWD session today!!! Tried to do a layback for fun but kids keep coming TOWARDS me and I almost knocked over over. Fellow skater said "Next time you'll do 5 more." My reply was "Do 5 more revs, or take out 5 more kids???" :twisted: Camel was certainly of the picture for the same reason. :x

Friday: Landed ONE loop clean... barely!!! (Any time I land ANY loops clean is a celebration right now for me! :twisted: ) But did land 3 more flips clean this afternoon! :D :D :D

Someone compliemented me on my back scratch spin (well, more attempt) this afternoon. Geez, lots more reason to celebrate!!! :bow:

doubletoe
11-12-2006, 09:56 PM
CECILIAS - Please clean out your Inbox! ;)