View Full Version : When do you know you need better skates?

newskaker5
11-04-2006, 02:21 PM
When I first started in skating group lessons in April this year, I bought Riedell Gold Medallion 300 skates which are suppossed to be fine thru ISI Freestyle 2 with the standard blade (a standard excel blade). I'm perfectly happy with my skates, but not that I am working Freestyle 3-4 moves, I am curious as to how I will be able to tell when I should upgrade. They certainly are not broken in that well since Ive only had them 6 months, but how do you know when you need a better boot/blade for your skills?

Morgail
11-06-2006, 08:23 PM
I think your best bet would be to ask your coach.
However, in my experience, FS 3/4 was about the time I moved up to a stiffer boot because I began working on jumps that required more ankle support (loop, flip, etc). I moved up from a lower boot (can't remember which one) to what would now be the equivalent of a Riedell Silver Star. But definitely check with your coach or with a boot fitter - your size can affect how stiff a boot you need also.
Good luck:)

jazzpants
11-06-2006, 08:33 PM
I think your best bet would be to ask your coach.
However, in my experience, FS 3/4 was about the time I moved up to a stiffer boot because I began working on jumps that required more ankle support (loop, flip, etc). I moved up from a lower boot (can't remember which one) to what would now be the equivalent of a Riedell Silver Star. But definitely check with your coach or with a boot fitter - your size can affect how stiff a boot you need also.
Good luck:)Riedell Silver Star for FS3/4!!!??!?! EEEEEK!!! 8O 8O 8O

I remember Silver Stars back in 2002 were like CEMENT BLOCKS for me when I tried them. I ended up getting the BRONZE STARS b/c they were the only thing that didn't end up killing my feet!!! 8O (Of course, I STILL had problems breaking them in but it wasn't as bad as before...)

Then again, I'm a smaller gal...

But agree... ask your coach???

Morgail
11-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Riedell Silver Star for FS3/4!!!??!?! EEEEEK!!! 8O 8O 8O

hehe...I actually had Gold Stars (this was in the early/mid 90s before Riedell retooled their boots), and they were actually broken down within 2 years! 8O But I was on the heavier side and tended to be hard on boots.
I'm back on about the same level I was then & have SP Teri Super Teri (which I love!!). They seem to have about the same stiffness as my old Gold Stars. I think that if I weighed less, I could do with a less stiff boot;)

I always consulted with a coach and/or a good boot fitter - you don't want to end up in a boot that is too stiff.