View Full Version : Pre-Bronze moves & FS - my experience

Morgail
11-03-2006, 08:15 PM
I passed pre-bronze moves and free skate tonight:)
Everyone here was so supportive - thank you so much! Some who haven't yet tested pre-bronze asked me to post about the tests & how they went.

For some background - I started skating as a kid. When I quit at 17, I had passed ISI freestyle 4 and was working on FS 5 (camel, lutz, axel, back scratch spin, etc.). So now (10 years later), I'm skating again and starting all over:) I don't have everything that I used to have, but I'm getting there.

Pre-Bronze Moves:
The club put all the adult tests at the end of the day, which was very nice of them:) They were running ahead of time so I was glad I got there early. We had a 6 minute warmup. There were only 2 other adults testing moves besides myself (another pre-bronze, and one silver). The warmup was enough time to run through all the elements and get some feedback from my coach, but I was glad I skated at a session earlier.
I was the second person to skate. I introduced myself to the judges (there were 3, and all were very nice).
Stroking - I was fine on this. I accidentally added a ninth push on one side, but they either didn't notice or didn't mark me down for it.
Edges - Fine also. My BI ones are the weakest - the first lobe was tiny, but the others were bigger.
Crossover Circles - I was fine on the forwards crossovers. On my first backwards circle, I clicked blades on the second crossover and almost lost my balance. I added in an extra crossover on that side (to make 6 total on that side). And I didn't run into the boards:lol:
Waltz 8 - I'm one of those weird people who actually likes the waltz 8. I put my foot down a little early on one 3-turn - but it was ok.
Evil 3-turn Pattern - Ugh. I hate this thing. I skidded a little on the LI 3s, but still managed to pass.

I saw the comments the judges did, but I don't get a copy for myself until next week. I got mostly good comments. One judge noted that I needed to hold the tail end of my three turns a little longer on both the waltz 8 and the 3-turn pattern.

Pre-Bronze Freeskate:
When it was time for the warmup for this, I didn't know whether I'd passed the Moves yet. My coach said to go out anyway & the judges would let me know if they didn't want me on the ice:lol: Warmup went well - only myself and another woman testing Silver FS were out there. We were the last tests of the day. I got the results of the Moves test during the warmup.
Again I went up to the judges. They asked whether I wanted to skate all the elements one after the other or whether I wanted them to call out what was next. I chose the latter:) The judges were really nice again - one even told me story about one of her dance tests (which was interrupted by a hockey team barging onto the ice!!).
Jumps: Pre-bronze lets you do any two jumps - full or half revolution. I did a toe loop and a salchow. Both of these were fine. The landing of my salchow curved in on a deep outside edge - but it was ok.
One-foot spin: I hav

Moto Guzzi
11-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Congratulations, Morgail!:bow:

Isk8NYC
11-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Congratulations!

(PS - I removed the duplicate threads; hope that's okay.)

Morgail
11-03-2006, 08:51 PM

ETA: My computer went crazy and posted halfway through (I'm blaming it on the computer! :) )
Here is the rest:

One-foot spin: I have a decent fast scratch spin left over from a long time ago...but it travels badly. You only need 3 revolutions, but I did a lot more hoping to make up for my travelling issue:halo:
Two-foot spin: Only three revolutions needed for this one also. This was fine.
Crossovers: Did forward & backward on my better sides:) I did six forward CCW crossovers, stepped on to a RO edge, did a RO 3-turn, and then six CW backward crossovers. These were good - no blade clicking this time!
Spiral: You get a choice of a spiral or a lunge. My last lunge was in August and resulted in a dislocated knee and torn ligament...so I did a spiral! Spirals aren't my strongest element, so this was the one I was most nervous about. It went fine - I assume I hit a 90 degree angle:) We didn't know much about what they wanted from this - so I held it for 10 seconds and did it on an outside edge. This was fine - I think it would be ok to do it on a flat also.

My comments on this test were good also. One judge even wrote "Nice test!" on it:) I think one made some suggestions on my spins...but I can't remember what they are right now. I'll update when I get my copies.

Whew...I'm so glad it's over! This post is long enough:halo: so I'll stop blabbing now. I'll try to answer questions about the tests if anyone has any.

Morgail
11-03-2006, 08:57 PM
(PS - I removed the duplicate threads; hope that's okay.)

Thank you!
:bow:

e-skater
11-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Hey, congratulations! On to the next test now!

Debbie S
11-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Congratulations!!:bow:

Sk8pdx
11-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Morgail: Congratulations! and Welcome to the Pre-Bronze Gallery!:bow:

I'm serving up the champagne and plates of chocolate covered strawberries to celebrate! There's plenty for everyone!

p.s. Froggy, we are waiting for you!:D
~sk8pdx.

Morgail
11-03-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm serving up the champagne and plates of chocolate covered strawberries to celebrate! There's plenty for everyone!
~sk8pdx.

yummy! I'll go anywhere there are champagne & chocolate covered strawberries:)

Mrs Redboots
11-04-2006, 05:53 AM
I hope that you're not reading this with too thick a head, but I certainly hope you celebrated in style!

Many congratulations once again. :bow:

aussieskater
11-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Congratulations and enjoy the chocolate... :)

sk8pics
11-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Whee, congratulations! Sounds like you did a great job.

dbny
11-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Congratulations!

LilJen
11-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Congrats! Sounds like you're right back into the swing of things. Me, at this point I can't spin to save my life, so a lot of work will be required before I can pass pre-bronze FS. Thanks for sharing your comments--very helpful to those of us who HATE the waltz 8!

Skittl1321
11-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Congratulations!

Tessa
11-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Way to go! Awesome!

jazzpants
11-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting my congrats to you! This (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=295953#post295953) should explain why I'm so late!

Congratulations to you!!! Very, VERY well deserved! And if this is any consolation, it's very VERY common to have the BI edge as the weakest edge. They were my weakest edge too when I tested that particular move! Sounds like overall you did a FINE job!!!

Now onto Bronze moves and FS for you!!!! Congrats again! :bow:

froggy
11-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Morgail: Congratulations! and Welcome to the Pre-Bronze Gallery!:bow:

p.s. Froggy, we are waiting for you!:D
~sk8pdx.

contratulations!!!!

thanks sk8pdx....im working really hard on my mitf pre-bronze, that 3 turn pattern and cw crossovers are what are really getting to me now.

WhisperSung
11-05-2006, 02:41 AM
Congratulations!! Two tests in one day must've been an amazing experience for you :)

Morgail
11-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting my congrats to you! This (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=295953#post295953) should explain why I'm so late!

Congrats to you too! It's a good testing weekend:)

mikawendy
11-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Congratulations, Morgail! I'm glad it went so well!

Morgail
11-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks everyone:mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing your comments--very helpful to those of us who HATE the waltz 8!
Hehe...I think you're in the majority about the waltz 8:)

Two tests in one day must've been an amazing experience for you
It was scary! Before I went out for the Moves test, I was beginning to think that my coach was crazy for talking me into two tests on the same day. It worked out well though - the adrenaline from the Moves test carried me right through the FS.

thanks sk8pdx....im working really hard on my mitf pre-bronze, that 3 turn pattern and cw crossovers are what are really getting to me now.
Join us! (hehe) That 3-turn pattern is challenging. Best of luck in working on it:) And I'm wondering if CW crossovers EVER get any easier;) They still feel awkward to me...

Sk8pdx
11-05-2006, 10:27 PM
....im working really hard on my mitf pre-bronze, that 3 turn pattern and cw crossovers are what are really getting to me now.

..it's that darn step forward, huh? -- Plus I always find it is hard to get my body to rotate enough so there aren't skids. AND the right side is always hardest for me. ... *sigh* 3 turns will never go away. They are also my biggest obstacle in Bronze moves. I am glad they changed the Pre-bronze 3 turn pattern. I find that I would actually use this pattern to link elements together in a program rather than alternating 3's on a hockey line. Waltz 8 is my favorite-- even though I had a hard time with making my circles big enough.

Like Morgail, I also took my Pre-bronze MIF the same day as my freeskate and passed both. My 2 jumps were waltz jump and Salchow (hate toe-loop:evil: -- but I am better friends with it now.)

Happy skating! everyone! 8-)
sk8pdx

NCSkater02
11-07-2006, 03:48 PM
I'm supposed to test pre-bronze moves January 27, according to my coach. All I have to do is polish BI edges, the waltz-8 (I have the hardest time with the forward step--I almost always put my free foot down) and the 3turn pattern. That gives me three months. Think I can do it? I'm certainly gonna try.

doubletoe
11-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Congratulations!!!! :bow: :mrgreen:

Morgail
11-07-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm supposed to test pre-bronze moves January 27, according to my coach. All I have to do is polish BI edges, the waltz-8 (I have the hardest time with the forward step--I almost always put my free foot down) and the 3turn pattern. That gives me three months. Think I can do it? I'm certainly gonna try.

I think you can do it! Three months ago my LI 3-turns barely turned and my waltz 8 was slooooow:) I think the step forward is just something you have to get used to...it gets easier with practice. I had a harder time with the inside step forward in the 3-turn pattern than I did with the outside step forward on the waltz 8. Have you done that one yet?

Team Arthritis
11-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Way to go!

Coach had me work that new 3turn pattern going for power AND control yesterday -Whoaaaaa pretty soon it turns into Mr. Toad's Wild Ride if you push too hard. Good job.
Lyle

NCSkater02
11-08-2006, 08:10 PM
It think the step forward is just something you have to get used to...it gets easier with practice. I had a harder time with the inside step forward in the 3-turn pattern than I did with the outside step forward on the waltz 8. Have you done that one yet?

I can do the step from right to left easier than left to right--I frequently put my foot down, and they are noisy.

As for the waltz 8, the step is the hardest part about it.:frus: