View Full Version : Too Old or too stupid for a Split Jump?

miraclegro
11-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Well, i currently have a split jump in my program, problem is, it is hideous! I am in good physical condition (people have told me i look 25 instead of 46 ha ha - i know better), but,

I don't know if i need to bring both feet together (gliding the left one back toward the right one) just before lift off, or WHY i "ain't got a thing, cause i ain't got that spring!" or am i too old to get that springy-ness the 12-year olds have on this thing?

I can do everything else, but feel disabled on this element! Any ideas?

Chico
11-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Your never to old to learn something if you work hard and really want the skill. Focus on the steps and the skill will come with practice. You need to believe you can and you will. A positive attitude will accomplish wonders. =-)

Chico

Hannah
11-02-2006, 09:58 PM
(people have told me i look 25 instead of 46 ha ha - i know better)

Don't be so quick to write off this observation. There is a mid 40-something woman who skates at my rink (pretty much the best adult we have, too), and my coach recently used her as an example of awesome adult skaters. I'd seen her skate before, and I thought she was close to my age (24), maybe 30 TOPS.

Sorry, can't help you with the split jump. I'm still on a limp waltz jump. :giveup:

mikawendy
11-02-2006, 10:21 PM
I've always heard that one key to a good split jump is to use the momentum of the non-picking foot to sweep through on the jump. That makes the jump less difficult and allows for more height/distance.

I have trouble getting the back leg to have any height on the jump. When I watch skating that I've taped off of TV, I always put the tape in slow motion to figure out how the skaters are doing this jump, but I have yet to really get a good split....

dbny
11-02-2006, 10:41 PM
How about a stag jump as a prelude to the split? Lots of kids have trouble with the split jump too, so I wouldn't think it is necessarily your age.

Casey
11-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Don't be so quick to write off this observation. There is a mid 40-something woman who skates at my rink (pretty much the best adult we have, too), and my coach recently used her as an example of awesome adult skaters. I'd seen her skate before, and I thought she was close to my age (24), maybe 30 TOPS.
I think skating must be a fountain of youth, at least if you keep at it for a while. I've met 3 or 4 adult skaters now over 40, who really don't look it (would have guessed mid twenties to early thirties max). Meanwhile, my mid-twenties non-skating friend looks...oh, I better not go there... ;)

PreciseIce
11-03-2006, 01:43 AM
Try falling leaf ... it gets to the same end position.

Yes, I agree ... stag jump helps too. For older skaters, we do the excercise where you toe back like a flip, pull them together, twist body/turn to the direction you're travelling to & try to jump off 2 foot into a split & together to land again. The split do not have to be big to start with.

Oh ... he harness helps alot too.

Normally I also start them off ice too it helps built confident, stability & control too.

miraclegro
11-03-2006, 06:58 AM
Oh, what i'd give for a harness! We don't have one, yet!

One of our adult student's 14-year olds did say skating must keep people young when he found out my age! Maybe it's true! I know it helps me with my allergies, if only temporarily!

froggy
11-03-2006, 12:16 PM
no your not too old..dont let age limit you! maybe its skating maybe its the sporty casual clothes i wear but im 26 and on more than one occasion some rinks i went to wanted to charge me the kids' rate for ages 12 and under!! ...thats pretty extreme but regularly people mistake my age and think im in my late teens. lol

doubletoe
11-03-2006, 01:31 PM
It's not your age!! I learned mine as an adult and I have a pretty big one (I'm 41). Mikawendy was absolutely right; the split jump is all about using timing and technique to harness the momentum you've built up on the entrance.

1. Get up some speed and do a RFI mohawk, as long and straight as possible (you might want to try a few flip jumps from this entrance first, just to get the takeoff solid).

2. On the LBI takeoff edge, get a very deep knee bend and pull your right shoulder back while squeezing your shoulder blades together (to make sure you don't get a rounded back or get pitched forward). Reach way back with a very straight leg and pointed picking foot.

3. Pick and pull yourself back, keeping your shoulders pulled back and your back rigid and arched.

4. At this point, it differs from the flip. Instead of leaving the ice when your feet come together, open out the whole left side of your body as your feet come together, starting with your left shoulder and arm, so that you are already starting to face the direction of travel by the time you leave the ice. Instead of stopping the glide of the left foot, let it continue in one smooth sweep past your picking foot so that it continues in the direction of travel and the momentum is not interrupted. It is this momentum that will enable your skate to act like a pendulum and help split that leg for you.

5. As you leave the ice, you should be opening out to face forward, leading with your left arm and left foot. Imagine you're trying to make it over a very big puddle. Once you've left the ice, jerk both legs up at the same time to get your maximum split. You'll notice it's hard to get the front and back leg even, but you'll just have to figure out which one doesn't come up as easily and pull a little harder on that one.

BTW, I can't do a split falling leaf to save my life! I have not figured out how to harness the momentum to get a split from that unassisted edge takeoff!

miraclegro
11-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Okay, Doubletoe,

Thanks for the tips. WIll print this off and take it to the rink. What state are you in, btw?

Maybe one day i'll actually meet some of these neat adult skaters with such great advice!

slusher
11-03-2006, 06:22 PM
My miniscule split is more like a stag, I have a problem with getting the leading leg straight, but totally agree with doubletoe that it is a sweep past the picking foot and to open up and lift.

It is a leap more than a jump. Thinking leap gives you more time to lift. Jump over the puddle is a nice anology, thanks I'm going to borrow that.

doubletoe
11-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Okay, Doubletoe,

Thanks for the tips. WIll print this off and take it to the rink. What state are you in, btw?

Maybe one day i'll actually meet some of these neat adult skaters with such great advice!

I am in a state of total boredom and distraction, which is why I am doing this instead of getting any work done, LOL! But seriously, I'm in So. Calif. ;)
The most important thing with the split jump is to really attack it instead of shying away from it, so that every part of your body is aiding the momentum in the direction of travel, not impeding it. The more speed you have, the deeper a knee bend and reach back you need when you pick, and the more you need to arch your back and pull your right shoulder back. . . but all of that translates directly into jump distance and split, so it is well worth it! :)

miraclegro
11-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Doubletoe,

I have a sister who lives in CA! In Benicia! Areyou anywhere near there?

We were just there this summer visiting!