View Full Version : On the other hand

Team Arthritis
11-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Anyone got any good stories for how problems in one element are helpful in another?

For example: my bad backspin has helped me get more confident on putting all my weight onto the pick in the toeloop because I open up the free hip when the backspin goes bad so I pick behind and push up when the spin degenerates.;)
Lyle

ferelu
11-02-2006, 05:07 PM
My axel had skid in which I used to do half a turn on the ice, so i would leave the ice backward. Yet this helped me get the correct weight transfer so I've been cheating my 2sals ever since.

doubletoe
11-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Swinging the free leg around instead of straight through on takeoff: certain death on the axel, but exactly what you need to do on the flying camel!

Landing forward on the toepick and then starting to turn: Again, bad on any jump landing, but guaranteed to help you start rotating on the flying camel! :lol:

Sk8pdx
11-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Great thread Team Arthritis. Sometimes happiness isn't found at the end of the journey, it is the stuff you experience along the way.

My coach had me practice a backwards pivot to help with the "scoop" of the right foot in the toe-loop. Toe-loop still needs work but I have a pretty stellar back pivot. :)

Practicing loop jump has helped RBO edges and also back outside 3s. Still don't have a satisfactory loop yet. :roll:

I picked up on my Ina Bauer from Warrior II pose in yoga class.

SkatingOnClouds
11-05-2006, 01:26 AM
My backspin simply won't go around in cirlces like it should. No matter what I try, even from a standing pivot start, it ends up as a series of little 3 turns.

I discovered today that this means I can do great swizzles withough thinking about it, at least starting from a RFI 3.

Maybe I should actually concentrate on doing swizzles, maybe then I'll get a backspin that behaves itself.

Casey
11-05-2006, 01:51 AM
I discovered today that this means I can do great swizzles withough thinking about it, at least starting from a RFI 3.

Maybe I should actually concentrate on doing swizzles, maybe then I'll get a backspin that behaves itself.
Twizzles, I think you mean. I have the same problem :( :frus:

SkatingOnClouds
11-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Twizzles, I think you mean. I have the same problem :( :frus:

Oops, yes, I meant twizzles. You can tell I'm not an ice dancer.

Petlover
11-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Never could get a decent left forward inside 3-turn until my coach promised me if I got it, she would teach me a toe-loop the opposite way. Within one lesson, I got a decent lfi 3-turn with a toe loop the opposite way! Now I can do a waltz jump and toe loop both ways - I just love being different!