View Full Version : My skates went sightseeing!

miraclegro
11-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Yes! I finally got to go to Klingbeil in NY to have my skates worked on, and because of the lack of time, I took my skates sightseeing after we left Klingbeil: (oh, i forgot, Emily Hughes walked in the door at Klingbeil and i got to meet her!)

My skates went:

*All around NY city in the tourbus (hubby almost left them on the bus! Eeek!)
*To the Statue of Liberty (it was breathtaking! We are so privileged to have such freedom in our country!) - and around Ellis Island (no time to stop there)
*To Greenwich Village to sample some REAL NY Pizza
*Walking through times square
*Taking in ground zero (didn't know the firehouse was practically beside it - several firefighters from that firehouse died on that day)
*Eating at Chipolte's
*and they (skates) went to MACY's !

The day before that my skates went with me to actually skate at Rockefeller Center! That was a pure moment of joy! The rink is actually a lot smaller than i thought! No fancy jumps or spins there -- too crowded!

I don't guess too many people have skates that tour with them everywhere! Too bad there's not a "stamp" or something i could put on my skates for each exciting moment! Just thought ya'll like to hear about my very short trip!

sue123
11-02-2006, 02:59 PM
You should have taken pictures of your skates at every place. When I went to Europe, one girl on my group took a picture of her bear at every city. On top of the Eiffel Tower, at the Leaning Tower of Pisa, hte Colliseum, etc. Pretty cute stuff.

Isk8NYC
11-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Glad you had a good visit!

Ice Dancer
11-02-2006, 04:08 PM
I hope the skates appreciated the tour!

Sounds like you had a lovely time. I am off to Belgium in a few weeks and I am so tempted to take mine with me.

Team Arthritis
11-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Lucky skates! I miss NYC in the autumn
Lyle

Award
11-02-2006, 04:38 PM
hahahaha..... that's awesome! You might be onto something....... to be the first person in the world to make a collection of AUTHENTIC photos with the same pair of skates being at many different well known locations. Eg .... Arby's, McDonalds, HardRock, Burger King, Disney USA, Disney Japan, Disney Hong Kong, Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building, Opera House, Niagra Falls (on both US and Canada side), Mall of America, West Ed Mall, Stone Henge etc.

miraclegro
11-02-2006, 04:55 PM
That's a great idea! Should have thought of that! Taking a picture with the Klingbeils and Lady Liberty in the backdrop! There was a story in my sister's newspaper years ago - someone stole a frog lawn ornament (is that what it's called) and sent the people from whom it was stolen pictures from around the world with the frog in it and little notes such as "having a good time in...."

Hilarious.

techskater
11-02-2006, 05:47 PM
You should have taken pictures of your skates at every place. When I went to Europe, one girl on my group took a picture of her bear at every city. On top of the Eiffel Tower, at the Leaning Tower of Pisa, hte Colliseum, etc. Pretty cute stuff.

When my spouse and I go on vacation to exotic places, we take our alma mater's flag with us and photograph one or both of us with it. (We got the idea from a person on our college football discussion board who "Took the Purple to the Great Wall of China" and several other exotic places). The flag has been to the top of a pyramid in Coba, Mexico, top of Notre Dame in Paris, Eiffel Tower, and Machu Pichu in Peru. It's fun to line them all up together.

doubletoe
11-02-2006, 06:05 PM

LOL! That is fun! I did that once when a friend loaned me her big fluffy overcoat for my trip to New York over Valentine's Day weekend. As a thank you, I took pictures of her coat at every place we went. . . I have a picture of her coat eating pizza, her coat on top of the Empire State Building, her coat crumpled with my husband's coat on the bed of the hotel room with a box of empty Godiva wrappers and an empty bottle of champagne. . . and best of all, her coat flying high above the stage on Broadway (we had to distract the guard before throwing the coat and quickly taking the picture while it was in mid-air!)

jazzpants
11-02-2006, 06:11 PM
miraclegro: So envious of you! :mrgreen: And trust me, if your skates think Rockefeller Center is crowded now... just wait 'til Christmas!!! OBSCENELY long lines in 17F temps (not including wind chill factors) Did it twice... never again!!! :evil:

I'd rather stick with Central Park FS session. More expensive, but it's doesn't have the long lines, I have room to skate around and it's so scenic!!! Besides, I like being able to have hubby tell snobby rent-a-cops that I have $20, my own skates AND I'm a professional skater!!! LOL!!! :twisted: :lol: (A little white lie on the last part, but no one has to know...) ;)

Did your skates get an autograph from Emily Hughes??? Or find any good deals at Macy's? ;)

My skates and I can't wait to be at NYC in less than a couple of months!!! YIPPPEEEE!!!! :mrgreen:

miraclegro
11-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Jazzpants,

While i was looking all over for a piece of paper to get Emily's autograph, i completely overlooked the idea of her signing my skates....duh....

miraclegro
11-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Oh, Jazzpants, and i didn't even get to Central Park -- didn't know there was an outdoor ice rink.

And, i could NOT believe some of the people at R. Center had MP3 players stuck in their ears! And two of the freestylers should have known better with earphones on that crowded session! I got the impression that they "owned" the space. I was terrified to try too much there; it was a true free for all!

By the way, Jazzpants, are you going to Adult Nationals...(new thread i suppose?)

jazzpants
11-02-2006, 07:57 PM
While i was looking all over for a piece of paper to get Emily's autograph, i completely overlooked the idea of her signing my skates....duh....DOH!!! :( Then again, you would have to have a permanent marker for the ink to stay on the boots.

Oh, Jazzpants, and i didn't even get to Central Park -- didn't know there was an outdoor ice rink.Yup! Owned by Trump... but it's better known as the Wollman Rink. (http://www.centralpark.com/pages/attractions/wollman-rink.html) Of course, there's "Kate Wollman" rink in Brooklyn to confuse the tourist too! :roll:

And, i could NOT believe some of the people at R. Center had MP3 players stuck in their ears! And two of the freestylers should have known better with earphones on that crowded session! I got the impression that they "owned" the space. I was terrified to try too much there; it was a true free for all! Oh, geez!!! Then again, this is a tourist trap... eh attraction! :roll: This place is good for photo ops... but nothing else besides that!

By the way, Jazzpants, are you going to Adult Nationals...(new thread i suppose?)Don't know... I'll have to pass my Bronze FS test in time for Chicago first...and I am testing soon! ;) The other factor is cost. Even if I pass my tests and am eligible, I may not have enough money to go and save up for a trip, since I'm committed to go to NYC to visit my in-laws on a yearly basis and we know how much THAT costs... :roll:

I just paid off my car insurance, will pay a huge amount on property taxes in Dec and again in April. Plus I have to start shopping for Christmas! The piggy bank's feeling very frugal as of now. :cry:

Award
11-02-2006, 08:36 PM
i completely overlooked the idea of her signing my skates....duh....

Then you'd have to buy new skates and send your current ones to get special coating treatment on the leather, so that the signature remains permanent, followed by getting a special bulletproof case with U.V protection, and alarm system for those skates hehehe.

miraclegro
11-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Well, i was just thinking Emily of her signing the bottom, not the sides. Too much work to cover the skates for tests, etc.

And Jazzpants, i know how you feel, everything else seems to take my money! I have so far about $100 saved from: payment from Jury Duty, work at the rink, and other odd things. BUT, i have to test Silver freestyle to compete it at AN, and would also like to do one competitoin before going to prepare myself mentally (i tend to get all hyper-like). So there goes what i have saved. WIll continue to work towards that, though!