View Full Version : Should I join a gym?

blisspix
10-31-2006, 11:37 PM
One of the reasons I skate and do dance is because I've never been keen on gyms.

But, I keep reading that everyone should have some form of strength training/weights in their routine, and since I could also do with a lot of toning up, I'm wondering if it isn't time to give it a go.

There's a cheap gym where I work, it has a range of basic machines, so it would be convenient.

Are many others using a gym to compliment their skating/general fitness, and if so what kind of routine do you have?

TashaKat
11-01-2006, 12:12 AM
I joined a gym but never went, it seemed like a waste of skating time ;)

It may be worth asking at the rink if they have any facilities, a lot of rinks these days have off ice sessions, dance sessions etc.

I've joined so many gyms and never last the course, I find it SO boring :giveup:

jazzpants
11-01-2006, 12:31 AM
Well, I guess I have the opposite effect as TashaKat, since the gym is one of the proactive things I'm doing to keep myself healthy and to condition my body well enough to continue skating. I probably would not be skating for long if I didn't go to the gym too b/c I do a lot of back and abs exercises to keep the sciatica symptoms at bay... I'm not perfect now. I certainly can do better, but I definitely can do worse if I didn't work out at all either.

I WISH I had a free gym at my job! The closest gym to my job is 5 minutes drive and park (or 15 minutes walk) and it's cheaper, but what I get out of it isn't as good, plus I don't think it's very clean! I haven't really found any gyms that I really like but my current gym is probably the best for my needs. i.e. I need to be at a gym where the gym instructors are QUALIFIED to do their jobs and where there's clean locker rooms and bathrooms. (Of course, the joking reason why I joined the gym is b/c my husband wants me to be around the "movers and shakers" in the business world. Yeah, riiiight!!! Too bad they're too busy WORKING OUT for me to network!!! :twisted: :P :lol: )

Of course, the person you really should ask is NoVa Sk8r! He's the KING of gym workouts!!! :roll: :twisted: :P :lol:

blisspix
11-01-2006, 02:50 AM
TashaKat: AFAIK my rink has off-ice but not gym stuff, and they're too far for me to go there for non-skate stuff. The other rink I go to has a great off-ice, but at the only time I can skate there! Sigh. I'm worried I'd get bored, too.

I occasionally take a ballet class in the city, closer to home, so I'm set for that.

jazzpants: Unfortunately the work gym isn't free, but is insanely cheap and since I have trouble getting to the rink over summer (I work at a university, my schedule changes when students aren't here) the gym might at least keep me a little bit fit, if I manage to go regularly. I really need to strengthen my back too as I have mild scoliosis. And they have yoga and pilates once a week.

I'll check with NoVa Sk8r too, cool :D

dooobedooo
11-01-2006, 03:09 AM
If you've got a gym at work, snap it up!

The chances are that the trainer will be good quality, and should be able to give you beneficial advice on nutrition etc., as well as setting up a program for you.

Plus with any luck it may be very low cost.

jenlyon60
11-01-2006, 04:49 AM
I work out twice per week (1 1/2 hours per session) with trainers who have a strength and conditioning center set up inside another rink near where I live.

I started working out with them earlier this year. Partly to help the skating and partly to just help with overall fitness. And it has been of great benefit. I have not only stronger leg strength, but my core strength is much increased and my anaerobic/short burst stamina is much better.

So for me it has paid off.

Isk8NYC
11-01-2006, 07:47 AM
I have access to the University athletic facilities where I work, but I've never really taken advantage of them. Maybe it's because I'm overweight, but the thought of having my coworkers see me in a swimsuit or shorts is daunting. (Not that I know of anyone else who goes there.)

blisspix - I'll join if you join!

Terri C
11-01-2006, 08:18 AM
My gym is the city run recreation center where for $55-60 per year, I have access to a weight room, pool, and can buy a "Flexaerobics" card for $30 for 15 classes.
One of the centers has a "Basic Strength and Conditioning " class three days a week, two of those days I don't skate- so I will be looking into that.

Skate@Delaware
11-01-2006, 10:24 AM
If you have the option, and it's free, go for it! You might want to see if you can find the book "Conditioning for Figure Skaters" by Poe (try interlibrary loan). If anything an overall workout set up by a trainer should help you-weights and cardio and stretching.

I workout 3 times a week at my gym:
20 minutes of treadmill (I vary the workout so I'm not bored, sometimes doing the rowing machine but mostly the treadmill)
20 minutes of weight lifting (again, doing different things-upper/lower body)
20 minutes of stretching, mostly legs and lower back

During the weekend I stretch, sometimes if the weather is nice I bounce on my trampoline...

NoVa Sk8r
11-01-2006, 11:30 AM
I think it is highly beneficial to incorporate a gym routine with your skating.
I've been going to the gym longer than I've been skating, and I initially started out doing a lot of cardio with minimal weight training just to get toned (those were the days, when I was 6' and weighed 160 lb--now, I'm about 190 lb).

When I started skating (in grad school), I added more of a variety of cardio--treadmill, recombinant bike, ergometer/rower, and eliptical and stopped running. I also used to swim, but the arm movements of swimming did not jive with skating.

A few years ago, I stared a spinning class at my gym (that is, cycling). This REALLY revved me up, and I loved it. But my gym changed the spinning class from 7:30pm to 5pm, so I can no longer get there.

As for weight training/conditioning, I do that 4 times per week.
My typical routine is:
Sunday, I'll do a brief cardio warmup, then work my arms for an hour or so, do abs for 20 mins. then STRETCH! for 20 minutes. (I also stretch in between my weight sets. I attribute my flexibility to all this stretching.) Then more cardio or not, depending if I have skated earlier or will skate later.

Tues., same routine, except that I work my shoulders (crucial for pairs skating/lifts, at least for me) and my back.

Fri., same, except that I work my chest (not heavy weights, just enough to keep toned) and do lots of cardio.

Sat., I do more cardio, then do 1 or 1.5 hours of leg work: quads (crucial for low sit spins and good hydroblading and of course higher jumps), calves (great for strong camel spins), abductor/adductor (great for better spinning in general), and squats (probably the best general overall exercise one can do). Then I do more cardio (so that I can fit in my pair outfit!).

I mention all this because I think it is important to have a goal and a plan for working out. I'm always perplexed when skaters tell me that they have zero flexibility or low endurance and when I ask if they stretch or do any exercises or do cardio training, they say no. Well, *I* wasn't born flexible--it was a process. Of course, some folks have other physiological issues, but that's not the point here.
Skating is not inherently a great cardio workout because we work on things, stop, and go to the boards, etc. When you are skating *continuously*, not *continually*, that is a cardio workout. But most of us only do that when we do program runthrus and we get exhausted and out of beath.

I am fortunate that my employer pays my gym fee. I belong to a Gold's Gym, which is very close to my primary training rink (yes, that is a lethal combination for me!). I am also fortunate that my community has a free gym (it's clean but small, and it closes early, but it's a nice change of scene sometimes). Too bad my employer won't pay for my skating!

I've noticed that USFSA's Skating magazine has some training exercises in the back pages. I think some of them look very good, but I've not really tried any of them. I'd recommend reading this section and seeing if thoses exercises will help you meet your goals.

Good luck!

Team Arthritis
11-01-2006, 11:52 AM
If you want to try an interesting experiment, wear a hear rate monitor skating. You'll find that most of the time our heart rate is low (equates to low level of aerobic exercise) except for quick anaerobic bursts for jump runs and when you do your program. Realisticly we just don't push ourselves very hard unless in a powerstroking class or a lesson. Turns out that the most calories are burned per hour by Ice Dancing!

Off Ice exercises also prevent injuries. Doing upper body work, eg pushups, prevents the broken collarbone or wrist that can happen from even a silly little fall. Yoga has been shown, in 3 major independent studies last year, to be the best way to prevent back injuries. Spinning helps protect your knees.

So my 2 cents: If the hardest thing you do all week is skating then skating will always be hard.
Lyle

jazzpants
11-01-2006, 12:14 PM
I mention all this because I think it is important to have a goal and a plan for working out. I'm always perplexed when skaters tell me that they have zero flexibility or low endurance and when I ask if they stretch or do any exercises or do cardio training, they say no. Well, *I* wasn't born flexible--it was a process. Of course, some folks have other physiological issues, but that's not the point here.Since I'm one of the guilty parties that complain about my flexibility, I better set the record straight.

Oh, I definitely stretch alright. I stretch when I get home after my skating is done. I stretch when I'm in between sets and I stretch for at least a good 10 minutes before I leave the gym for the night. Originally, it was to get more flexible!!! Over the years, it has become MORE to prevent injuries than to be more flexible! Let's face it! I'm closing in on the big 4-0!!! It's much harder at my age to work towards being flexible, though I do keep working at it b/c I obviously don't want overuse injuries either... :roll: I have realized that I'll probably never get that nice high spiral or Y-spiral or Bielmann. Heck, I'll be lucky to get a hip level spiral even... But does it stop me from trying for it???? HECK NO!!!!! :twisted:

I am fortunate that my employer pays my gym fee. I belong to a Gold's Gym, which is very close to my primary training rink (yes, that is a lethal combination for me!). I am also fortunate that my community has a free gym (it's clean but small, and it closes early, but it's a nice change of scene sometimes). Too bad my employer won't pay for my skating!LUCKY!!! I'm trying to get my employer to do corporate sponsorship so that we can at least pay less of a monthly fee, but knowing my employer, they'll go with just maybe a couple of gyms (25 Hour Fitness and Gold's Gym, even though I have told them that a couple of employees do go to my gym as well too.) My gym, Club One (http://www.clubone.com/) is a wonderful gym, but you don't wanna know how much *I* pay per month on my membership...and this is NOT including my monthly dues for my weekly group reformer classes, which my secondary coach suggested I do for flexibility as well as my normal stretches!!! :roll: Short of going back to my meat locker pick-up joint, I'm not sure how else I can lower my monthly fees...

Skate@Delaware
11-01-2006, 01:09 PM
I also want to mention: I will be turning 45 in a few more months (GULP) and have become MORE flexible in the past few years thanks to my off-ice workouts!!! So, saying you aren't flexible because of age isn't really an excuse (especially you, jazz-I've got a few years on you, but I'm sure you are more flexible than me :lol: so keep it up!!!). You might never be able to flex like Sasha (wouldn't that be nice?), but you can attain decent positions (enough to pass a test anyway). And, like jazzpants says, stretching after working out does help to prevent injuries and should become part of your workout in any instance.

If you have a sit-down job (or are a student), or any job or activity that keeps you in any position long enough to start those muscle tightening, then it becomes even more important to stretch them out and lengthen them.

If you can, take breaks throughout the day and loosen up. I am a secretary and try to at least stretch out my hamstrings often (sometimes hard to do when it gets busy).

doubletoe
11-01-2006, 01:54 PM
So far, I've been able to get away with NOT going to a gym, but I make a point of stretching for at least 20 minutes at the rink every day after I skate. I was told by my physical therapist that my hamstrings are weaker than my quads and need to be strengthened, so I bought a big exercise ball for doing hamstring exercises at home. I did them for awhile, but now the ball is sitting in a very sad, half-deflated state under the dining room table. :roll: Now I'm going to my PT again (for help stretching out some old scar tissue) so she's having me hamstring exercises on the machine at her office. ;)

lovepairs
11-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Nova,

Your entry was interesting, and I was wondering if I might ask a few questions:

With your off ice workouts, how often are you on the ice per week?
Also, does your partner cross train, too?

The reason why I'm asking is, because I lift weights twice a week, and run a mile and walk another mile before lifting. Then stretch after it's all done. On the two days a week that I skate an hour by myself, I do off-ice stretching and aerobics for about 20 minutes, then I run a mile and walk a mile later that same day. Twice a week I skate with Lee for two hours, and we do about 20 minutes off ice, sometimes before, or sometimes after the skate, and that's all of the excersise I will do on those two days.

I keep thinking that I should lift more, but I feel like if I put another weight lifting session in the week that I'm going to die. I feel like I'm at the limit of my cross training, but, in a strange way, I don't feel like it's enough.

What do you think? You seem to be pretty knowlegable (sp?) about cross training.

Terri C
11-01-2006, 04:26 PM
In addition to what NoVa said...
The USFS website has a plethora of training tips on the website. Go to the "Athetes" page, then to "Athlete Programs" then to "Training Tips"
They have everything from logs to periodization tables, workout plans, etc.
A couple of skating parents at my rink are looking at this for their skaters.

jazzpants
11-01-2006, 04:28 PM
And while lovepairs is asking... I'm curious about your quad exercises! I can't do very low sit spins (though mine are okay enough that the judges shouldn't make a comment about it if I test Bronze FS...) but certainly not a hydroblade. Care to share your quad exercises???

BTW: calf exercises are also very good for jumps too...well assuming you also have good basic jump technique too! ;)

doubletoe
11-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Something I learned from my physical therapist--who is also a skater--is that our sport is very imbalanced in terms of the muscle groups we use. Most skaters have very strong outer quadriceps but have much weaker inner quads and/or hamstrings. It varies by individual, though, so I HIGHLY RECOMMEND just one visit to a qualified physical therapist to get your relative muscle strength measured (not by "feel" but using actual instruments) so you know which muscles need to be strengthened off ice. These muscle imbalances are a major cause of knee and hip problems due to the uneven pull on the joint, and if not for the knee problem I had last year, I would never have even learned about this! Fortunately, I left my first physical therapist after she started having me do quad exercises, which my current PT confirms would have just made the problem worse! 8O

Triple.Toe
11-01-2006, 04:54 PM
i go to a gym for an hour and a half , monday to friday

MQSeries
11-01-2006, 05:45 PM
If you don't need to workout with heavy weights then save your money and workout at home with some basic exercies.

shoulders: do shoulder presses, lateral raises
back: kneel on a bench (or put some chairs together) and do one-arm row.
chest: lie on a bench and do chest presses.
legs: alternating lunges or squats.
biceps: bicep curls.
triceps: overhead tri extensions.
abs crunches.

All of the exerciese above can be done with a set of dumbells at home. Do high reps with moderate to low weight.

lovepairs
11-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Contrary to popular thought that the man's muscles are keeping the ladies up there in a lift, the truth of the matter is that pairs ladies really have to have well developed muscle groups to keep themselves up there in a lift. It doesn't look it, but the ladies do half of the work in a lift. Also, we need really well developed shoulder muscles to handle the G-forces on the shoulders in a death spiral. Pairs ladies always look more muscle bound, especially, in the upper body than single lady skaters. There is a reason we do all that weight lifting off ice. I'm just wondering how many times per week I should be lifting weights?

doubletoe
11-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Contrary to popular thought that the man's muscles are keeping the ladies up there in a lift, the truth of the matter is that pairs ladies really have to have well developed muscle groups to keep themselves up there in a lift. It doesn't look it, but the ladies do half of the work in a lift. Also, we need really well developed shoulder muscles to handle the G-forces on the shoulders in a death spiral. Pairs ladies always look more muscle bound, especially, in the upper body than single lady skaters. There is a reason we do all that weight lifting off ice. I'm just wondering how many times per week I should be lifting weights?

Oh yeah, you pairs ladies have to have strong core muscles and upper bodies!
Back when I used to power lift (in a former lifetime; I hate gyms now!), I would work out lats, lower back, delts and biceps on Mon, Wed, Fri, then I would work out my triceps, abs and chest on Tues, Thurs, Sat. I would also do 50 sit-ups every night. But I would think twice a week for each muscle group should be fine. Something you can do if you aren't going to lift "heavy" is to circuit training, where you do two sets of 10-15 reps of a lighter weight for each muscle group but cover every muscle group on the same day, 3 times a week.

jazzpants
11-01-2006, 06:49 PM
(especially you, jazz-I've got a few years on you, but I'm sure you are more flexible than me :lol: so keep it up!!!).I would debate you on that, given the videos I've seen of your lovely spirals!!! LOL!!! :P :lol:

NoVa Sk8r
11-01-2006, 08:58 PM
With your off ice workouts, how often are you on the ice per week?I skate Sunday afternoon freestyle for 1.5 hours (almost all pairs), Monday night adult public session for 1.5 hours, Tues. morning FS for an hour or so, Wed. night public for 1.5 hours (half the session is for pairs), Fri. morning for 45 minutes (20 min. pair lesson, 25 min. pair practice) and if I have the day off--every other week--2 hour public session. Ice is available on Saturday at a new rink in NoVa, er, Northern Virginia, so I might go there and do gold moves for a session or two. But really, that is way too much skating for me. I'd rather just go to the gym. :halo:

I think it also must be said that I'm not a *total* gym freak. My job involves a lot of writing/editing that I never get done on-site. I work (or rather am *at* work :lol: ) 6 hours or so per day, so what I don't complete on my way commuting I just bring to the gym and read/edit while on the bike or treadmill or eliptical.
I've also suffered stress fractures/pinched nerves in my lower back, dislocated/sprained wrist, shoulder impingement, and bursitis in my left knee, so I tend to take a slow and controlled approach to lifting weights. It usually means a longer time in the gym, but, of course, this beats getting sore and injured.

Also, does your partner cross train, too?Yes, but I'm not sure exactly what she does besides her cardio training. I believe she does arm/shoulder exercises.

The reason why I'm asking is, because I lift weights twice a week, and run a mile and walk another mile before lifting. Then stretch after it's all done. On the two days a week that I skate an hour by myself, I do off-ice stretching and aerobics for about 20 minutes, then I run a mile and walk a mile later that same day. Twice a week I skate with Lee for two hours, and we do about 20 minutes off ice, sometimes before, or sometimes after the skate, and that's all of the excersise I will do on those two days.I'm in no way an expert, but it sounds like you are doing enough. I think quality is more important that quantity. And like a good mutual fund, diversification is key. As doubletoe mentioned, there are a lot of secondary muscles used in skating, muscles that we overlook. My chest is pretty develped (I would say overdeveloped), but I met with a sports therapist and through a series of stretch diagnotics, she determnined hat my pectoralis minors are understretched. Same thing with the range of motion in my shoulder and hamstring.
With my gym membership came a few sessions with a personal trainer. She helped me develop a few plyometric exercises to increase my mobility and toning. Bulk may look nice, but it hinders some skating moves and is not crucial for pair skating (think power, not strength).

I keep thinking that I should lift more, but I feel like if I put another weight lifting session in the week that I'm going to die. I feel like I'm at the limit of my cross training, but, in a strange way, I don't feel like it's enough.Another notion is static versus dynamic lifting. Standing and lifting a barbell is different that sitting on a stability (or Swiss) ball and lifting weights. It seems like you are lifting enough, you just probably need to alter your lifting exercises. I don't know about how much weight you are lifting andif you are maxing out or not, so it is hard to gauge what you could do differently. If you feel like you are stuck in a rut, I would try doing less weight, but lift more slowly and hold the contraction. After doing this for a week or two, you might see some gains in your overall strength. Also, I find it necessary every 8 weeks or so to not lift for a week to give my muscle fibers a chance to heal.

NoVa Sk8r
11-01-2006, 09:04 PM
And while lovepairs is asking... I'm curious about your quad exercises! I can't do very low sit spins (though mine are okay enough that the judges shouldn't make a comment about it if I test Bronze FS...) but certainly not a hydroblade. Care to share your quad exercises???I work my legs with the squat machine (the freestanding squat method is too much of a risk for my back), as well with the machines where you sit at 45 degrees and wither push the weight stack awy form yo or raise yourself away from the foot platform. Wit hthese exerciese i use both my feet but also, using a lwoer weight, use only one leg. That way, each leg gets its own turn. And I don't just push and go quickly. I push the weight and hold the weight. I think this helps simulate the amount of time that you are in the hydroblade position. I alo do lunge squats, hack squats, and Roman dead lifts.
At home watching TV, I used to assume the sit or hydroblade position while holding onto the couch.

Sk8pdx
11-01-2006, 10:36 PM
NoVa: All I gotta say is Wow!:bow: Thank you for the very insightful posts.

blisspix: My answer to your original question is YES! do take advantage of using your gym.

My story is that I wanted to participate in a sport that did not "feel" like exercise. I was either going to take up swimming or skating. I knew that in either sport, I was going to be wearing somewhat revealing clothing and I have a greater fear of drowning than I do a fear of falling. I chose skating. :)

When I first started skating 3 years ago I weighed around 145 lbs. I started watching what I was eating and noticed I was drinking water more regularly. I felt better about myself. A year into skating I decided I wanted to be a better skater. I hated exercise for the sake of exercise alone. The treadmill is so dang boring! Like the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink. Hoever, you can make him thirsty. :) Skating is what was the big motivator for me to exercise, gain strength and become more flexible. Continuing monitoring my calorie intake, combined with my gym routine, I lost 20 lbs in the process. I feel stronger and better than ever. If I had children I could run after them to catch them and not feel winded, I can out ski the husband after 3 hours and he's fatigued and I could go on til the night ski session. Friends are still telling me that I look great. Going shopping and having trouble finding something in size small is a wonderful problem. (sometimes:twisted: )

My skating schedule:
Monday: rest day
Tuesday 1 hour freestyle (early sessions before work)
Wednesday 1 hour freestyle
Thursday 1 hour freestyle
Every other Friday Club session or early am freestyle
Saturday 2 hour freestyle
Sunday 2 1/2 hour public session

Gym schedule:
Tuesday: Pilates, Kickboxing, Freeweights
Thursday: Freeweights, Kickboxing, Yoga
I am doing free-weights with the notion that I would ever skate pairs someday. That, plus people think I am wierd practicing loop jump rotations just before kickboxing class in the room with all the mirrors...but who cares. :?? :P

I was taking a ballet class but they moved it from Monday nights to Thursdays. :cry:

For the sake of maintaining your physical and mental well being. using your nearby gym is a great idea.
Sk8pdx

mikawendy
11-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Skating is not inherently a great cardio workout because we work on things, stop, and go to the boards, etc. When you are skating *continuously*, not *continually*, that is a cardio workout. But most of us only do that when we do program runthrus and we get exhausted and out of beath.

ITA--I can't wait until I can start going running again, as I had some nagging ankle tendonitis that kept me from running/walking for most of the summer. My coach makes me do laps after I do a program, but still, that's only like maybe 5 minutes of continuous motion, so it's not anywhere near having target heart rate for 20-30 minutes. It was a little better when I was working more intensively on moves before my last test because that kept me in motion longer...

(p.s., from one editor to another, nice use of continously vs. continually, NoVa ;) )

As for the OP's question, blisspix, you could try it out for a little while and see if it meets your needs. Perhaps start out with a few goals and see if you find that going to the gym helps. Because of my full schedule, I'm much better at sticking to workouts that don't require me to go anywhere (e.g., running/walking, weights at home, Pilates at home), but when I did have access to a gym during uni, I found it to be quite helpful.

blisspix
11-01-2006, 11:44 PM
blisspix - I'll join if you join!

LOL. :) Well after all the amazing comments here (and thanks so much for info about your routines too!!!) I'm thinking I will join up.

I definitely like the idea of getting stronger to prevent injuries.

I bought the Conditioning book a while back bit it's just been... erm... sitting on the shelf. I should really go through it and use the therabands too.

thanks everyone! :D

TashaKat
11-02-2006, 12:51 AM
I occasionally take a ballet class in the city, closer to home, so I'm set for that.

Now that's what I did instead of the gym .... ballet, jazz, contemporary, yoga, pilates etc etc etc. Give me dance classes over the gym anytime :) You still tone up, get strong and have the added benefit of flexibility.

If your work gym is incredibly cheap then you're not going to lose by joining especially if they do yoga and pilates which it sounds like you would do :)

jazzpants
11-02-2006, 01:09 AM
I work my legs with the squat machine (the freestanding squat method is too much of a risk for my back),I don't like the freestanding one b/c it hurts my neck. (I assume you're talking about THIS (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/SMSquat.html) Squat Machine.)

squat as well with the machines where you sit at 45 degrees and wither push the weight stack awy form yo or raise yourself away from the foot platform. Oh, 45 degree leg press machine (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/LV45LegPress.html)??? When I'm at my "wimp" point (like I am now...) I leg press 2x20 rep at 180 lbs. When I wasn't at my all time high, I did 2x20 at 210lbs. (Keep in mind though, I'm about the same weight range as Marna.) I don't push quick either, but I don't hold for more than 5 seconds either... When I have more time to work out at the gym I'll try simulating holding for about 10 and then 20 seconds. (This is my "impress (or shock) the guys at the gym" exercise.) :twisted:

I push the weight and hold the weight. I think this helps simulate the amount of time that you are in the hydroblade position. I alo do lunge squats, hack squats, and Roman dead lifts.
At home watching TV, I used to assume the sit or hydroblade position while holding onto the couch.I just did walking lunge squats going across the aerobic room tonight. (Back and forth about 5 times.) I haven't tried Roman deadlifts or hack squats yet. I rarely have time to watch TV short of having something on to put me to bed. (Ironically, it's usually the Food Channel! Hey! Gotta have some nice food dreams... :yum: )

LoopLoop
11-02-2006, 06:52 AM
Since someone asked...
Yes, I lift weights too. But not as much as NoVa does.

I try to get to the gym for lifting two or three times a week, and do chest/bicep/shoulder/tricep/trapezius exercises, plus a little bit of calf and hamstring work. Generally I do one or two exercises per muscle group, primarily with dumbbells rather than machines (except for the leg work). And I do cardio at home on a recumbent bike. I really hate cardio, so I either watch DVDs or shows I have TIVO'd; a one-hour show equates to about a 45-minute workout.

And I always stretch after cardio, and before skating, and other times when possible.

NoVa Sk8r
11-02-2006, 10:14 AM
I don't like the freestanding one b/c it hurts my neck. (I assume you're talking about THIS (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/SMSquat.html) Squat Machine.)The Smith machine is good, but since it makes you conform to the up-and-down track, it can cause back strain.

Oh, 45 degree leg press machine (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/LV45LegPress.html)??? When I'm at my "wimp" point (like I am now...) I leg press 2x20 rep at 180 lbs.That's a good one, and it also doubles as a calf machine: Put your toes at the end of the platform and push away! My gym has another one where you are sitting in a chair and your legs are parallel to the floor, instead of sitting enar the floor staring up at that big weight stack.

MusicSkateFan
11-02-2006, 10:26 AM
I lift a little....lol

Before I began skating I would weight train for size and strength and was at one time 203 lbs at 5'11''

Now that I skate 4 times a week the cardio of skating keeps me at about 193lbs. I train for the strength and not so much the size anymore. I am finding that leg strength along with core/abs training has helped my spins and spiral greatly. I use a stretch machine that helps too.

I do heavy weights 4 times a week, two body parts each day plus abs/core every time I lift. I think I look pretty good for creeping up on 40yrs old! Quad strength has become important to keep my knees stable. The good upper body strength helped me press lift "LoopLoop" the first time I ever tried off ice lifts! It was fun...I dont want to do pairs!

lol

manleywoman
11-02-2006, 11:00 AM
If you want to try an interesting experiment, wear a hear rate monitor skating. You'll find that most of the time our heart rate is low (equates to low level of aerobic exercise) except for quick anaerobic bursts for jump runs and when you do your program. Realisticly we just don't push ourselves very hard unless in a powerstroking class or a lesson.
This is exactly why my coach has all her students -- me included -- do kill drills. You have to learn how to do your jumps when tired or else you'll never get them consistant in the program. It's painful, but it really works come Game Day.

I would LOVE to do weights off-ice with a trainer, or Pilates. But I just don't have enough money or time leftover to do it. I swim at the free public pool once a week because it really helps control a nagging neck injury I have. So I do what I can with the resources I have.

Mrs Redboots
11-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Really, we should include a little aerobic skating every session. I am finding that doing a lot of edge work with Husband is really aerobic - I must wear a heart-rate monitor next session, I think.

Years ago, someone on the old udel mailing list said that "You go skating so you don't have to go to a gym, and then you end up going to a gym anyway, so as to improve your skating!"

I don't do as much off-ice as I should, but try to do some strength & flexibility training, as does the Husband.

aussieskater
11-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Years ago, someone on the old udel mailing list said that "You go skating so you don't have to go to a gym, and then you end up going to a gym anyway, so as to improve your skating!"

Yup! :) (And it's working too - I joined our local circuit gym earlier this year, and have found that their machines are picking up the muscle groups I don't use as a skater.)

jazzpants
11-02-2006, 06:00 PM
I lift a little....lolYou lift a little what??? A little car? Little truck? :lol: :P :twisted:

Dude, I've seen pictures of you... I wouldn't wanna mess with 'ya in a dark alley!!! EEEEK!!! 8O

The good upper body strength helped me press lift "LoopLoop" the first time I ever tried off ice lifts! It was fun...I dont want to do pairs! lolGreat! Now I have this image of you at the gym bench pressing reps with LoopLoop as the weight!!! (Not recommending that, of course...) :lol: :P

blisspix
11-02-2006, 07:36 PM

LOL that definitely rings true to me!

It's funny, I don't think of any other exercise I do as being for its own benefit, but only to help my skating, whether I'm running, doing yoga, ballet, or riding my bike! Oh well, I guess it keeps me motivated :)

NoVa Sk8r
11-02-2006, 09:06 PM
I dont want to do pairs!The more and more you say this, the less and less I am convinced! :P

Sonic
11-03-2006, 07:16 AM
This is an interesting thread. I have been saying for a while that I MUST start off-ice training (apart from occasionally practising jumps in my living room lol!).

I have problems with stamina, which is partly due to not being able to breathe properly, but mainly due to being unfit. I am also ungainly and inflexible, so need to work on that.

So, from next week I'm going to start. I really don't enjoy the gym at all so am looking at doing step for stamina and this yoga/pilates class for flexibility. I am also going to visit a trampolining club....

S xxx

Team Arthritis
11-03-2006, 08:12 AM
I am also going to visit a trampolining club....
S xxx
:lol: :lol: :) :) :o :D :D
Can I come too??? What fun, now my wife won't yell at me for jumping on the bed :halo:
Lyle

Mrs Redboots
11-03-2006, 11:53 AM
I am also going to visit a trampolining club....The person who my Husband skated the Zimmer trophy with is a qualified trampoline teacher and keeps one in her back garden! I believe it helps with diving more than skating, but can be helpful with jumps and stuff.

kateskate
11-03-2006, 12:01 PM
The person who my Husband skated the Zimmer trophy with is a qualified trampoline teacher and keeps one in her back garden! I believe it helps with diving more than skating, but can be helpful with jumps and stuff.

I used to trampoline. I competed at it until I was about 17. I think it helps with fear and can be good for jumps!

Terri C
11-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Anyone here work with balance balls at their gym?
I've just started and I'm looking for ideas once I get my confidence up on using it.

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2006, 05:51 AM
I've just started and I'm looking for ideas once I get my confidence up on using it.I don't go to a gym, but I do have a balance ball which I'm supposed to use at home. Just standing on it is pretty much an achievement, I find - or even sitting on it, if I put it on my chair..... Standing on one foot is pretty impossible.

Team Arthritis
11-10-2006, 07:58 AM
I've just started and I'm looking for ideas once I get my confidence up on using it.
YES YES YES, there are several different ones to try, only word of caution is always be ready to bail off it, so don't put it next to the mirror, a rack of weights or whatever. I also recommend that you always wear shoes using them as they tend to make your foot curl otherwise.

one of my favorites is the dynadisk (looks like a deflated ball about 15" wide and 2" thick). THis is a great place to begin as you can start off with your heel or toes at the edge and can rock onto them when you lose your balance. My favorite exercise is to stand on 2 feet and do shoulder presses with light weights while keeping my head up focusing on myself in the mirror. If you have knee problems they are also great for "terminal knee extensions" - i.e. you stand on the disk on your bad leg and extend (go up) on that leg completely locking the knee for a second or two. The important part is the locking of the knee, the motion is small.

My other favorite is the "Bosu Ball" which looks like half a swiss ball on a hard platform on the other side. With the hard side down you can use it as a trampoline jump 2 footed on then back off - the trick is to land with your feet close together. Lots of fun and feels like playtime - be sure to laugh while you do this it'll keep you relaxed! I don't know the name of the hardest exercise I can do - you balance on one foot, bend your knee and touch your free hand outside your standing foot then rise up with arms over your head and free knee up to tummy. If you can do this with the ball flipped over (round side down) then you are a superstar in my book!. Enjoy it, its supposed to be hard :giveup:
Lyle

Skate@Delaware
11-10-2006, 08:42 AM
I only use the ball for back extensions, stomach crunches, and for chest stretches (my chest muscles are really tight and I have to work extra hard to keep them stretched and open).

I can't imagine trying to balance on one....I have a hard enough time with the above exercises!!!

Isk8NYC
11-10-2006, 10:21 AM
If you want to balance on them (which is often done in off-ice drills), use a slightly deflated ball and try kneeling first. Once you learn how to control your and redirect your weight, then you can graduate to a standing balance.

Terri C
11-10-2006, 05:06 PM
My other favorite is the "Bosu Ball" which looks like half a swiss ball on a hard platform on the other side. With the hard side down you can use it as a trampoline jump 2 footed on then back off - the trick is to land with your feet close together. Lots of fun and feels like playtime - be sure to laugh while you do this it'll keep you relaxed! I don't know the name of the hardest exercise I can do - you balance on one foot, bend your knee and touch your free hand outside your standing foot then rise up with arms over your head and free knee up to tummy. If you can do this with the ball flipped over (round side down) then you are a superstar in my book!. Enjoy it, its supposed to be hard :giveup: Lyle

Yeap this is the one I've been just doing two foot stands on. We'll see what happens.