View Full Version : Skidding with sharp blades

Hannah
10-31-2006, 10:52 PM
So my edges seem sharp to me, and my coach agrees (no dings, can scrape my fingernail), but occasionally my feet slide a lot as I'm traveling.

This morning it occured to me that I could be sliding because I'm not actually on an edge. I just wanted to check something- even sharpened blades will slide sideways when you are on the flat, right?

Award
11-01-2006, 12:21 AM
This morning it occured to me that I could be sliding because I'm not actually on an edge. I just wanted to check something- even sharpened blades will slide sideways when you are on the flat, right?

For sure. Definitely. Even very sharp blades can do that. But has less of a tendency to do it. Although, if you're doing something like cross-overs on sharp enough blades, and if you find that you're slipping or sliding a bit, then it's possible that you're not on the edge. More sideways tilt on the blade may be needed, which comes with experience and practice. Plus also, if the weight is shifted too far forward toward the front of the blade (or even too far backwards toward the tail of the blade) , it can also be a reason for slipping or sliding.

Or maybe something to do with blade alignment and setup too, so could get the blade and skate checked.

Mrs Redboots
11-01-2006, 08:32 AM
This morning it occured to me that I could be sliding because I'm not actually on an edge. I just wanted to check something- even sharpened blades will slide sideways when you are on the flat, right?Alas, yes! And it's all too easy to be on one - I have yet to be on an edge that is deep enough for my coach's satisfaction!

Team Arthritis
11-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Plus also, if the weight is shifted too far forward toward the front of the blade (or even too far backwards toward the tail of the blade) , it can also be a reason for slipping or sliding.
That's me on my foreward 3 turns - as soon as I get any speed I tend to turn too far up on the rocker and have a skid right at the end of each entry edge.
Lyle

SkatingOnClouds
11-02-2006, 02:10 AM
For sure. Definitely. Even very sharp blades can do that. But has less of a tendency to do it. ..... Plus also, if the weight is shifted too far forward toward the front of the blade (or even too far backwards toward the tail of the blade) , it can also be a reason for slipping or sliding.

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

The lights come on. I'm having a lot of light bulb moments this week.

I have been wondering the same thing; how, on my very sharp blades I was skidding when I never skidded before. And the light bulb moment is, with new blades with proper rocker, doing all those things that coach tells me my weight is too far forward on, that's when I've been slipping.

Hannah
11-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks folks! Now I have to blame my technique... :roll: I concentrated on leaning more, and it does help, LOTS, when I can manage it.

PreciseIce
11-03-2006, 01:54 AM
check the blade too ... the design of it & is the sharpening "curling out sidewards" ... some sharpeners forgets to file the sides after running through machines on the blade.

Hannah
11-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Also, after my lesson today, I discovered that a lot of my sliding is from my shoulders and arms being in the wrong place. Which also means I've been practicing my pivots, 3-turns, mohawks, and edges WRONG for the last 5 hours of my skating time!! Amazing the habits you can develop in 5 hours... :frus: :cry: