View Full Version : testing pre-bronze on Friday...questions

Morgail
10-31-2006, 08:15 PM
Hi everyone- I'm testing pre-bronze moves and (if I pass moves) free skate this Friday. I am so nervous... I skated as a kid/teenager, but did ISI (no judges). So this is my first stab at actual testing in front of judges.

A question - when you test, do you try to get in a little extra practice that day, or not? I'm not testing until later in the day, and I have time to go to a session beforehand. We get a 5 or 10 min warmup before the test, but I never feel really warmed up in that short of a time. I thought it might be a good idea to skate (for about a half hour or 45 minutes) a few hours before the test, just to get my feet under me and work out some nervousness.

Another question - how picky are the judges on pre-bronze? I know that it's pass/retry...how badly do you have to do to end up with a retry?

And...did you have to reskate anything on pre-bronze? I'm especially nervous about the 3-turn pattern.

mikawendy
10-31-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi, Morgail! Good luck on your test!

I always like to skate a little the same day as my test. Not enough to tire myself out, but enough to get really warmed up and used to the feeling of the ice.

The prebronze tests are thought of as encouragement tests, but beyond that, I can't really provide any other advice. I've always heard it's good to emphasize the qualities in your skating that you do best, as that will make your skating look stronger. Also, take your time with the test. That is, don't rush to start an element. Breathe and ready yourself. If you feel shaky, bend your knees more. If you feel like you've messed part of a move up, don't let it bother you--each pattern has enough repetitions of a move that if you have a bobble or a weak point, you have many other chances to get it right.

Have a good test!

froggy
10-31-2006, 09:08 PM
good luck!!! share with us the details and where you tested after...i hope to test pre-bronze and i would love to hear what the testing is like from your perspective. thanks!

PreciseIce
10-31-2006, 10:19 PM
Mikawendy is right!

Take your time with it. They just want to see quality, balance and control.

These judges are quite alright. 2 out of 3 of them judges me for the test. the lady was relaxed, the other man was stern (who judge me for MIF) ... but not too picky. Remember take your time on MIF when starting the 1st glide. Ignore the judge.

It was interesting for the elements for freeskate coz I did a "program" with no music. The judge who was suppose to grade me for freeskate stare at me after the "program" for a while. i thought what was wrong ... she went "Did you do all the elements? I went "pardon?!!!???? ... yes I did ..." Then the other Judge who wasn't judging me at all walked beside her & told her I did too. I was puzzled! Then they joked cause while watching me do the program, she didn't take the grades ... she just stopped to watch the program (she said she was suprised). Just before I turn around to leave, one of the lady judge went"go do a double axel!" I replied, " Not yet ... there! done! ... too fast for you to see." Hahhaaa... that was funny! I went off ice after the test laughing ... well, when I got back the remarks, I was highly graded.

See, funny stories can happen anywhere!

But still, I do know they will get you to reskate if needed to cause someone before me was asked to redo her elements for the program.

Thin-Ice
11-01-2006, 02:50 AM
Good luck on your test. I hope you've had a chance to watch a test session or two, so you know how they run at the rink where you're testing.

I've judged several Pre-Bronze Moves tests and I have to say they are among my favorites to judge. Mostly that's because it's so hard to take that first test or two.. and the skaters are so earnest about testing. I always try to encourage the skaters by smiling at them when they take the ice... but other judges may just treat this as any other test.

The other posters are right.. this IS an encouragement test. The judge(s) want you to do well. (Don't be surprised if you have 3 judges or just one, it depends on how the test chair has set up the test session.)

When you are called to the ice, go over to the judge(s) and introduce yourself. The judge in charge is likely to ask you if you know the order of the elements. Just smile and say "yes", and if you're a little bit nervous that's fine. They're used to it.. you can even admit to it, if that makes you feel better.

When you prepare to do the first element look over at the judges, make eye contact with the judge in charge, then skate your element as if no one were watching you. Enjoy the process.. remember this is your ice. You'd paid for it. and there are people who have come to enjoy watching you skate.

When you finish the first element, stop. Take a deep breath and remind yourself you are doing fine. Then skate with your head up and your best pushes to the starting spot for your second element and WAIT until you make eye contact again with the judge in charge. That's so the judges have time to write their comments on the test paper. Don't rush!!! Repeat that process until you've done each element. When you finish, skate over to the judges and ask if they'd like to see anything again. Chances are the judge in charge will be surprised you have so much presence of mind for a PB test. It's likely the judge will just check with the rest of the panel and they will all say "No" and you'll be done. So step off the ice with confidence, knowing you have completed your first test. The test chair will bring you the judges' test papers and you'll get to read the comments and see how you did.

If you do something like trip yourself or have to put down a foot on a three turn, just keep going and finish the element the best you can. If you fall you will be asked to reskate that element. If you put down a foot on a turn, you MIGHT be asked to reskate that element.. but if you only do it once, it's less likely you will have to. There will be a comment or two.. but that's fine. You already know you've done it less than perfectly.. but NO element has to be perfect. You just have to show you have a basic grasp of the elements and can do some better than others.

If you forget what comes next on the test, go to the judge in charge and say "I really did know what's on this test.. but my mind has gone blank. What is the next element?" It happens a lot, don't feel bad.

I've only seen one person not pass this test.. and it was because she was having a realllly bad day -- having a hard time standing up on two feet.

Go out and do your best, skate with confidence and smile as if you are saying "This is EXACTLY the way this test is supposed to be skated".

Good luck and have FUN!!!

Mrs Redboots
11-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Best of luck. And don't forget that the judge wants you to pass, not fail, and will do all s/he can to make sure that happens.

Do let us know how you get on.

Team Arthritis
11-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Good LUCK! :D
Don't overdo the warmup but I always feel better if I can skate atleast 30 min before the tests. Also I get an upset stomach before each test or performance so easy on the coffee and bring some pepcid AC :halo:
Lyle

Mrs Redboots
11-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Also I get an upset stomach before each test or performance so easy on the coffee and bring some pepcid AC :halo:
LyleAnd bring a warm rug or dressing-gown in case there is a long wait for your test. Conversely, do be at the rink in plenty of time in case they are zipping through them faster than anticipated.

Debbie S
11-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Good luck on your tests, Morgail!

As others have said, Pre-Bronze MIF (and FS) is an encouragement test, and most people do pass. I know of several people that got retries their first time, and then passed on the second try. I didn't witness their tests, but from what I heard from them or others, they were either so nervous their legs shook, or they were really struggling with one element and probably weren't ready to take the test. The test has gotten a bit easier since they took out the alt 3's and replaced them with the waltz-8 and new 3-turn pattern (IMO, they should have just added the waltz-8 and been done with it, but whatever).

When I took this test, I was very nervous and wobbled a bit on the BI edges. My crossover pattern was a little wonky, too - on the back crossovers, I put my foot down too quickly after the glide from RBO glide to CW crossovers (both times) so my circles were not of equal size, and on the forward crossovers, my transition was between the circles was a bit flat (diagonal instead of a circle/figure 8 curve). 2 of the judges recognized that it was an encouragement test and wrote comments like "3's at top of lobes", "scattered subcurves but OK", and "crossovers smoothly skated". One judge did give me a retry b/c of the BI edges and the problems with the crossover pattern (and she also didn't like the alt 3's) - she may have been judging it more like a Prelim MIF test than Pre-Prelim. But I passed overall, and then all 3 judges passed me on FS about 30 min later.

I guess the moral of the story is a little nervousness is OK, but you still need to be steady and be on the correct edges and such. As others have said, if you make a mistake or are a bit scratchy or hit your toe pick once or twice, don't worry, b/c the judges will consider the whole element and not just one tiny part - as you move up in levels, the judges do get more demanding on this.

I know of an adult skater who clicked blades and fell on her forward crossovers during this test and passed with all 3 judges w/o a reskate b/c the rest of her elements were very strong. If the judges do ask you to reskate something (around here, skaters go back to their coaches and wait for the judges to dismiss them or call them back, but I guess it varies from region to region, so ask your coach what you should do at the end of your test), don't freak out, b/c it means they really want to pass you and are giving you a second chance to do something right.

Isk8NYC
11-01-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm sure you'll pass, but I hope you do it with flying colors!

Good luck!

doubletoe
11-01-2006, 01:46 PM
I find that it helps a lot to practice for 30 - 45 minutes an hour or two before taking my test. Not only does it warm me up and give me more confidence, but it brings my attention to whatever move isn't behaving that day, so I know what I have to focus on when I take my test.

Yes, keep your legs warm and keep them moving a little before you take the ice, and then remember to bend your knees even more deeply than you think you have to, since stiff knees tend to be the first symptom of nervousness.

Finally, if your club is anything like mine, a test is actually cheaper than a half hour private lesson, so you can just go into it telling yourself you're getting a really good deal on a private lesson from the best experts around (judges)! After all, the feedback you get from the judges is much more valuable than what you'd get in just one of your regular lessons! :D

Morgail
11-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Thanks so much for the encouragement:)
I practiced today & everything went well. I'm more afraid of doing something silly, like tripping over my toepicks, than anything else. Well, except running into the boards on my back crossover circles or on the BI edges!
The new three-turn pattern has been the most difficult element for me - especially making the lobes the same size and not coming up on my toepicks for the inside step-forward.
I worked on trying to "present" myself today. I just hope I can remember to do that (and not stare at my feet) on Friday:)

LilJen
11-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Haven't yet tested myself (hoping to try for pre-bronze moves and FS within the next several months), but GOOD LUCK!!! Would love feedback when you're done--I'm currently struggling most with the waltz 8.

MusicSkateFan
11-02-2006, 08:08 AM
Skate a little, Stretch and relax. Try to show the best edges possible. Extension is good to think about. The judges are usually so Happy to see a "Newbie" so they want you to do well!

I passed with those damn alternating 3's so If I can do it you can....No offense I just think they should keep the 3's......it prepares you for the power threes on the bronze MIF test!

Have a good time...

Morgail
11-03-2006, 07:55 PM
I passed both tests! :)
Thanks again to everyone for all the tips and encouragement - I really appreciated it.
I'll post another thread about the actual tests for those who wanted to know.

Mrs Redboots
11-04-2006, 05:44 AM
Many congratulations! That's a huge milestone.

techskater
11-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Congratulations!

Thin-Ice
11-06-2006, 03:19 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!