View Full Version : What type of skirt?

sue123
10-31-2006, 02:37 PM
I think I might be getting brave and want to wear a skirt to practice one day. Who knows, maybe I"ll work my way up to competitions and I'll get to wear some of the pretty dresses I see other people wear, and on teh internet. But I think I need to get over my fear of wearing a skirt first. So is there a specific style that is more flattering than others? I saw the box skirt, and I don't understand how you can skate in it without having it bunch up on you. Also, if it helps, I'm not overweight, not underweight. Pretty much average weight, 5'6. I do have the skater thighs, but sadly, not much of a butt. Although Im sure if I didnt skate, it would probably be concave :P

So what kind of skirt should I buy? I'm probably going to buy a black skirt because it will go with just about anything. Also, what do you wear with a skirt? A zip up? Or do I need ot buy a whole set or practice dress? I'm so confused, venturing into the land of the skating skirt :giveup:

Triple.Toe
10-31-2006, 02:43 PM
i would say get a practice dress.. and get one that flows.. i dont know how to explane it, but nice loose , and light material one. those work for any body type.

phoenix
10-31-2006, 02:44 PM
I think the most flattering on an adult figure is a wrap skirt--it's a little longer, so you're not showing the world your tush, and the fabric is light and flowy. IMO, box skirts aren't flattering on very many figures. And wrap skirts are easy to find, any dancewear supplier will have them, and if you sew at all, they're very easy to make.

Triple.Toe
10-31-2006, 02:46 PM
Yeah i forgot about raps, there the best

doubletoe
10-31-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm not overweight, not underweight. Pretty much average weight, 5'6. I do have the skater thighs, but sadly, not much of a butt.

Based on what you say about your body shape, you would probably find a traditional skating skirt most flattering, not a box skirt. BTW, legs look much thicker in regular street clothes like pants than they do in a skating skirt, so it will probably be slimming! :)

airyfairy76
10-31-2006, 02:59 PM
And what kind of material are wrap skirts normally made from?

CaraSkates
10-31-2006, 03:00 PM
I would go with either a traditional circle skirt

http://www.tidewaterice.com/DCP04023.jpg
or a slimline freestyle skirt (not as flat as a box but not so full. )
http://www.gk-elitesportswear.com/images/carryover/sk869.jpg
or a flat skirt with side slits and a curved hem.
http://www.gk-elitesportswear.com/images/carryover/sk922.jpg
I am also 5' 6" and average size (6 or 8 in pants). My group showcase outfit is a box skirt and I can get away with it but it's not something I would wear for freestyle. This doesn't really make sense since I made the outfits but...box skirts work as long as they have a side slit.

Out of the above, the slimline is my favorite. Most of my dresses have that. Since I have an hourglass figure I can also wear circle skirts. My friend who is pear shaped can not wear circle skirts at all. Hoep that helped!

phoenix
10-31-2006, 03:16 PM
And what kind of material are wrap skirts normally made from?

Chiffon or georgette--I like georgette best. Chiffon is a little too light.

sue123
10-31-2006, 03:32 PM
That slimline skirt looks really pretty. And I don't sew at all, unless it's a button so making my own wrap skirt might be asking too much. But I'll check out some dance stores. I don't know why I hadn't thought of going to a dance store before.

TreSk8sAZ
10-31-2006, 04:12 PM
I usually wear either the slimline freestyle skirts or a flat panel skirt. I have a box skirt, but I rarely wear it. I don't like how it looks. As far as what I wear with it, I usually wear one of my workout shirts (tank or an under-armour or similar t-shirt) with my jacket and/or sweatshirt. Although wrap skirts are usually longer, I find them to be too sheer and often covering less unless you have leggings underneath. (I was a ballerina, so I do know there are many types of fabric for wrap skirts, however many of them are sheer, even in black). I also often wear practice dresses when I have a competition or test coming up, this time of year usually with leg warmers. Most of my dresses have the slimline or flat panel look to them. I find both the dresses and the skirts equally comfortable, so it really depends on my mood which I wear. I should note I also generally prefer GK for practice skirts, but that's a personal preference.

SDFanatic
10-31-2006, 04:42 PM
I'd chime in my .02c but we all know how that ends.

There are many styles out there, find something you like and just go for it.

Also take a look at your skating clubs for used skatewear, you might find a style or two cheap to try out and help in your decision making.

Steven

TashaKat
11-01-2006, 12:18 AM
I liked the georgette wrap skirts for practice, actually used to make my own because I had an overlocker :) I preferred them to skating skirts as they were easier to clean and had a nice 'flow' to them when you were skating. We *had* to wear them for our dance practice anyway. I don't know if they still do them but there were some 'watercolour' prints out there (that was the name) and they were absolutely stunning (Rivers Edge dancewear springs to mind but don't know if that's right!).

jenlyon60
11-01-2006, 04:53 AM
The advantage of the wrap skirts is that you can buy several leotards and use the same wrap skirt with them.

Discount Dance Supply (http://www.discountdance.com) offers quite a large selection at very reasonable prices (under USD 25).

Mrs Redboots
11-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Definitely go with a wrap skirt. Ideally with ties, not velcro (I've seen too many velcro ones come off at the wrong moment!).

You might feel less self-conscious if you get a black skirt and then wear black tights with it - cheap supermarket 40-denier tights are fine as long as they don't have too noticeable a hard line at the top of the leg. And, of course, treat yourself to a pair of skating tights (dance tights will do if you don't want over-boot ones) for "best".

sue123
11-01-2006, 09:19 AM
You might feel less self-conscious if you get a black skirt and then wear black tights with it - cheap supermarket 40-denier tights are fine as long as they don't have too noticeable a hard line at the top of the leg. And, of course, treat yourself to a pair of skating tights (dance tights will do if you don't want over-boot ones) for "best".

I have skating tights already. I prefer skating in them because I don't like how the kneehighs always either dig into my skin, or keep falling if they don't dig in my skin. Although I do skate in them if all my tights are dirty and I keep forgetting to do laundry.

I did like some of those wrap skirts at that dance site. But I think I might go to a dance store just so I could see what it actually looks like, because some of them look very sheer. And I'm assuming that wrap skirts don't come with panties? Is there some way to attach some yourself or should I also get a leotard to go with it?

TreSk8sAZ
11-01-2006, 09:24 AM
I did like some of those wrap skirts at that dance site. But I think I might go to a dance store just so I could see what it actually looks like, because some of them look very sheer. And I'm assuming that wrap skirts don't come with panties? Is there some way to attach some yourself or should I also get a leotard to go with it?

Wrap skirts do not come with the attached bloomers. You'd absolutely have to have a leo or some other similar item of clothing. You really can't attach them because of the ties.

Mrs Redboots
11-01-2006, 10:15 AM
I disagree with TreSk8sAZ here - you don't absolutely need a leotard! The best thing to do is to buy a pair of close-fitting black undies - the kind the shops here call "full briefs" - and wear them on top of your tights. This will preserve your modesty and keep your tights up, and has the added advantage that you don't have to totally undress when you need to get rid of some used coffee.

flippet
11-01-2006, 11:58 AM
The advantage of the wrap skirts is that you can buy several leotards and use the same wrap skirt with them.

And, as mentioned, the disadvantage of wrap skirts is that you pretty much have to wear a leotard with them. :( I think they look funny over leggings.

Purely for ease of use, I got a circle skirt with the attached briefs. That way, I didn't have to completely undress to change for skating--I could wear the tights under my khakis during the day, then just switch the pants for the skirt, throwing a sweatshirt over whatever shirt I was wearing.

They may not be the *most* attractive thing out there, but they sure are easy, and they're not usually completely unattractive, if you're a pretty regular shape.

SDFanatic
11-01-2006, 01:45 PM
The only thing I dislike about wrap skirts is that it tends to go between my legs, I had a velvet skirt shortened on the front of one of my dresses as it was distracting.

A thinner material like georgette however may not be as troublesome.

Steven

sk8_4fun
11-01-2006, 02:00 PM
I disagree with TreSk8sAZ here - you don't absolutely need a leotard! The best thing to do is to buy a pair of close-fitting black undies - the kind the shops here call "full briefs" - and wear them on top of your tights. This will preserve your modesty and keep your tights up, and has the added advantage that you don't have to totally undress when you need to get rid of some used coffee.
I agree-the control type ones give you a good sense of security!!!!!8O

sue123
11-01-2006, 04:01 PM
So many choices! But all the input has been awesome. Now all I need to do is get the courage to actually wear one. I don't feel like I'm worthy yet of wearing a skirt. I still feel like a "wannabe" figure skater than an actual skater. And then I think if I wore a skirt, I would feel like I have to be good, so there's a lot riding on it. Although, maybe wearing it would make me skate better because I would actually look the part of a "real" skater.

LilJen
11-01-2006, 06:02 PM
I'd also recommend ebay!! Many good deals there. I haven't gotten up the courage yet to wear any of my skirts/dresses locally, although I did do so when out of town (whee!) 'cause I figured, what the hell, who knew me? Still struggling with the "I am not worthy" syndrome (and Rusty Blades can now chime in with her "purple popsicle" story!). I know, I'm not 37, I'm really 12 and I don't want to look like a doofus. . . why I care at this age, I don't know.

My favorite dress is actually an empire style velvet dress. I'm on the curvy side and have that bit of tummy from pregnancy/childbirth, so it hides that (which most skating dresses seem to accentuate--ick!). I'd wear skirts with any type of shirt, sweatshirt, zip-up jacket, whatever. I just got a pair of skating leggings to wear over the tights on colder days (or outside, since the area outside rink will soon open).

sk8_4fun
11-02-2006, 11:24 AM
I DID IT!!! I finally plucked up the courage to wear a skirt. Ok I admit it was a dance length one but it felt great! (its OK, I am female not a cross dresser!!!!!!8O ) I too am a bit on the larger side of a 16 and will never wear the shorter types of skirt but I felt really confident wearing a dance skirt. Its a black one and I wore it with thick tights and a black wrapover cardigan. It definately made me more concsious of my skating and drew some compliments as a result.

sue123
11-02-2006, 03:06 PM
I DID IT!!! I finally plucked up the courage to wear a skirt. Ok I admit it was a dance length one but it felt great! (its OK, I am female not a cross dresser!!!!!!8O ) I too am a bit on the larger side of a 16 and will never wear the shorter types of skirt but I felt really confident wearing a dance skirt. Its a black one and I wore it with thick tights and a black wrapover cardigan. It definately made me more concsious of my skating and drew some compliments as a result.

Congrats sk8_4fun! I don't know if I could wear a dance length one because longer skirts don't look good on me in regular clothes, so I'm not sure how a dance length skirt would look on me on the ice. I personally have no problems showing off my legs, I actually quite like them. In the summer, I have no problem wearing skirts or shorts. But for some reason, when it's the ice, I just don't feel right.

But I've decided I will be ordering something this weekend. I just need to figure out what size I need. I usually wear in pants a size 8, sometimes 10, occasionally 6, depending on the pant, although I do have pants in my closet ranging from size 6 to size 14, but I did have to take the size 14's in at the waist. Is that a large in the figure skating world? Or medium? Or is every brand different?

doubletoe
11-02-2006, 03:23 PM
Congrats sk8_4fun! I don't know if I could wear a dance length one because longer skirts don't look good on me in regular clothes, so I'm not sure how a dance length skirt would look on me on the ice. I personally have no problems showing off my legs, I actually quite like them. In the summer, I have no problem wearing skirts or shorts. But for some reason, when it's the ice, I just don't feel right.

But I've decided I will be ordering something this weekend. I just need to figure out what size I need. I usually wear in pants a size 8, sometimes 10, occasionally 6, depending on the pant, although I do have pants in my closet ranging from size 6 to size 14, but I did have to take the size 14's in at the waist. Is that a large in the figure skating world? Or medium? Or is every brand different?

In the figure skating world, the sizing is a lot like the dance world, i.e., things run a little smaller (and yes, every brand is different). I would suggest either finding a sizing chart for the brand you're interested in, or even better, calling up either the store or the manufacturer, giving them your measurements and asking what size you would wear.

CaraSkates
11-02-2006, 03:47 PM

You sound like about the same size as me. I usually wear an 8 in pants. I usually wear a 6 in skirts (I have small waist, big hips/butt problem!), sometimes and 8. I have one pair of 10s but the waist is a bit big....
I wear a GK Elite Medium, a Capiezo Medium in skirts...if in doubt, go with the bigger size as most skatewear is smaller then your body and very stretchy so you have some size flexibility. I can wear dresses sized Adult Small to X-Large (I did have to take in the XL on the side seams to be able to wear it). I love GK, they hold up forever it seems like. Machine wash and dry the velvets, machine wash and hang to dry the lycras - easy!

sk8_4fun
11-03-2006, 08:38 AM
In the figure skating world, the sizing is a lot like the dance world, i.e., things run a little smaller (and yes, every brand is different). I would suggest either finding a sizing chart for the brand you're interested in, or even better, calling up either the store or the manufacturer, giving them your measurements and asking what size you would wear.
Yes, and I think UK sizing is different to US too? would I be right in think that a US 14 is the same as a UK 16? I sometimes buy from US ebay and the sizes are different

Mrs Redboots
11-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Yes, and I think UK sizing is different to US too? would I be right in think that a US 14 is the same as a UK 16? I sometimes buy from US ebay and the sizes are differentThere are about 2 sizes difference, these days - I take a UK 12-14 and tend to try on a US 8 first time. But, as here, sizes vary enormously! And as for shoe sizes, I've still no real idea what size shoe I take in the US - I think it is 8 or 9; here I'm a 39 (old size 6).

sue123
11-03-2006, 04:29 PM
There are about 2 sizes difference, these days - I take a UK 12-14 and tend to try on a US 8 first time. But, as here, sizes vary enormously! And as for shoe sizes, I've still no real idea what size shoe I take in the US - I think it is 8 or 9; here I'm a 39 (old size 6).

I think that's a size 8, maybe 8.5. I remember when in Europe, I bought a pair of shoes that were a size 39, and I wear a size 8 on this side of the pond. When I was in London, I forgot about the different sizes, so imagine my surprise when I pulled a size 8 off the rack and couldn't get it past my knees. I didn't think it was possible to gain that much weight in 3 days! Then I realized, the sizes are different.