View Full Version : question about skates

Logan3
10-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Hi! I ve been away for few months since my dd took a break for the summer.
I am back with questions already. My dd is now skating USFS FS2 and she still fits in her old skates Riedell blue ribbon (size 13). I took them for sharpening and I was told from the pro shop that she should upgrade to a better skate since she moved to Free style. She just turn 7 and she is small (not 50lbs yet). I do not think she needs more support I guess is all about the blade. She is skating 2, some times 3 times a week. She mostly does group lessons with some privates for her routine. She will enter one competition in the winter but obviously we keep it low key. What do you guys think? With her being so young with unpredictable growth spurts I am affraid to spent the 300$ unless I trully have to. Thanks!

Mrs Redboots
10-31-2006, 06:17 AM
With a kid that age, skates are normally outgrown long before they break down. It would be worthwhile checking to see what her teacher has to say, but I rather think that she will be fine in what she has.

Isk8NYC
10-31-2006, 10:40 AM
Make friends with another mom or dad that has a daughter a bit older. Unless they have a younger daughter, they'll probably be willing to give/sell you the outgrown skates. As Mrs Redboots says, they outgrow their skates before they break down. Hand-me-downs are fine.

I agree with the pro shop - at USFSA Freeskate 2, the girl needs to be in stronger skates with a better blade. She's going to start working on footwork, spins and jumps.

Logan3
11-04-2006, 10:39 AM
I guess I broke down and I bought my dd new skates for the following reasons:
-The coach told me to follow the pro shop advise.
-dd is struggling with spins and a better blade might help.
-everyother child in the rink wears a better skate.. (mother's guilt)...

I ended up paying 250 which is a little less than I expected. She will skate with them next week, hopefully well!!!