View Full Version : Another just 4 fun: Top 10 Annoying Skating Things

Sonic
10-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Another just 4 fun: Top 10 Annoying Skating Things

1) When you could get air miles for your spins but NOT your jumps:frus:

2) When you finally stop bending your leg on a swing roll..only to lose your edges:frus:

3) When you decide to to try your programme on a public session, a subliminal message is sent to every idiot/chav wannabe hockey skater/kamakaze kid within 100 mile radius, telling them to come and skate....:giveup:

4) When you've been executing an element great all session/day/week...until you have to do it in front of your coach:frus:

5) ditto 4....until you have to do it in a competition

6) ditto 4...until you try to do it in front of your skating friends

7) When you've used up all of the following:
'My blades are blunt'
'I have raging PMS'
'There are too many other dancers on the rink'
'I've got a problem with my right foot'
'I think I'm coming down with a cold'
'I've had a bad day at work'
'These skating boots are crippling my foot'
'My boots are either too tight or too loose today'
'The ice is bad tonight'
'There are too many idiots on the rink'
'I feel too intimidated by the elite skaters'

...and you are forced to admit that it's not the tools but the workman at fault! ...:roll: :oops:

8) When you retain the incorrect spin entrance first developed the 'first time round' before the 19 year break....but not the kick-### Axel:cry:

9) When you spend time feeling sorry for yourself for retaining said spin entrance but not said Axel....

10) When you've actually had a good skate, you're on your own, the internet's down, your friends are all out.. so there's no-one around to brag about it too lol!:D

S xx

Chico
10-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm How about top million? Okay, here's a few..

1. Folks who cheat on their ice time. I'm not talking about the few minutes here and there, I'm talking about the just not payers.

2. Folks who scream, "EXCUSE ME!" constantly during their program and nobody is even near them. For heaven's sake we bought ice time too and don't need to vacate the ice after you've done your program constantly over the last hour.

3. Skills that vanish when your coach shows up.

4. Dirty rink bathrooms. How do they even get that bad? Seriously, I don't really want to know.

5. Skating mom's from hell.

6. Having a skill seem to get better, get excited about it, and then have it totally vanish for weeks.

7. People who don't know a dang thing about skating who call it a cute little sport and then call you a cute little ice skater. Please...if you could only see the falls and bruises I take and have. Cute has nothing to do with it.

8. Folks who think I just arrived at the rink with my current skills one day. Hello, I've been working at them. I hate the, "Your just lucky line."

9. Cold rink. Really cold rink.

10. No ice and no warning. I hate to show up at the rink and find the zamboni is broken or the hockey players have an unscheduled activity. ugh.

11. Folks who skate like they own the ice and don't seem to EVER notice their peers. Nobody owns the ice and we all need to do our part to avoid each other. I've seen some of these folks even run into walls....walls aren't going to move... =-/

Chico

Joan
10-31-2006, 08:34 AM
1. Hockey players
2. Hockey teams
3. Hockey schedules (they hog the best times)
4. Hockey pucks left on the ice
5. Hockey net ruts in the ice
6. Hockey skate tracks in the ice (need to cut about a half inch of ice to remove them)
7. A Pro-shop with nothing but Hockey stuff for sale
8. Hockey skaters on public ice, whooshing around
9. Hockey fans
10. Hockey team dressing rooms that the figure skaters must sanitize before using them as dressing rooms for a show

Mrs Redboots
10-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Rink factions and staff-room rows.

ouijaouija
10-31-2006, 02:22 PM
1) Newbie stewards TELLING ME TO NOT SKATE THE OTHER DIRECTION even though I am in the middle of the circle, they say I have to skate inside the circle and not on the lines.

2) Chav hockey skaters thinking they are good skimming everybody.

3) Folks who scream, "EXCUSE ME!" constantly during their program and nobody is even near them. For heaven's sake we bought ice time too and don't need to vacate the ice after you've done your program

4) Aching feet at the start of a session

5) Hockey equipment really stinking the changing rooms

6) Atrocious toilets with wet paatches. Is that a urine patch or an ice patch?

doubletoe
10-31-2006, 02:54 PM
* Coaches who hog the CD player for the entire freestyle session, ensuring that I will leave the rink without ever skating my program. :frus:

* Deer-in-headlight beginner kids on my freestyle session. 8O

* Parents of said deer-in-headlight kids who thought it was a good idea to put them on a mixed level freestyle session! :giveup:

* Losing my camel spin, flying camel or axel inexplicably. . . for weeks. :cry:

airyfairy76
10-31-2006, 02:56 PM
5) Hockey equipment really stinking the changing rooms

I experienced the stinky hockey equipment the other day for the first time, when I came off the ice and they went on. SHEEESH!!!

sk8er1964
10-31-2006, 03:10 PM
1. Hockey players
2. Hockey teams
3. Hockey schedules (they hog the best times)
4. Hockey pucks left on the ice
5. Hockey net ruts in the ice
6. Hockey skate tracks in the ice (need to cut about a half inch of ice to remove them)
7. A Pro-shop with nothing but Hockey stuff for sale
8. Hockey skaters on public ice, whooshing around
9. Hockey fans
10. Hockey team dressing rooms that the figure skaters must sanitize before using them as dressing rooms for a show

Without them, you would have no ice. Figure skating does not pay the bills at an ice rink -- hockey does.

I used to hate hockey in general too, but now that my son has been involved in it for six years, I understand things a lot better.

My main annoyance is people who don't know the rules of the ice on freestyle. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with that too often.

Joan
10-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Without them, you would have no ice. Figure skating does not pay the bills at an ice rink -- hockey does.

I used to hate hockey in general too, but now that my son has been involved in it for six years, I understand things a lot better.

My main annoyance is people who don't know the rules of the ice on freestyle. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with that too often.
This was a joke - I don't hate Hockey players, and you are right that we would not have ice without their business.

aussieskater
10-31-2006, 09:41 PM
3. Skills that vanish when your coach shows up.

...and skills that show up as your coach vanishes...

sceptique
11-01-2006, 07:39 AM
1. My job, which leaves me no time to skate
2. Having to keep that job to pay for my roof, food and skating

BatikatII
11-01-2006, 08:06 AM
1.When your rink introduces a new voucher system for patch payment at £50 per month which means if you do more than 3 hours of patch a week you are quids in. but how much do I do - you've guessed it - nearly 3 hours. And my daughter does nearly 3 hours, so we pay between us almost £100 for a total of 24 hours of skating a month while some skaters can pay £50 and skate for 24 hours or more themselves.

My daughter can't really up her hours as patches are at inconvenient times but I guess I could - it means I will now go on the Saturday am and the after school patches which I would normally leave to the kids but since I'm there anyway for my daughter I might as well get some value for my £50.

It's on a two month trial so might as well try it this month as I'm not sure it will last.

2. Rink stewards who put on the music so loudly you can't hear your coach.

3. Know it all teens who complain about skating music on a public session and are rude to the coaches.

Don't think I can think of 10!

NickiT
11-01-2006, 08:42 AM
1.When your rink introduces a new voucher system for patch payment at £50 per month which means if you do more than 3 hours of patch a week you are quids in. but how much do I do - you've guessed it - nearly 3 hours. And my daughter does nearly 3 hours, so we pay between us almost £100 for a total of 24 hours of skating a month while some skaters can pay £50 and skate for 24 hours or more themselves.

My daughter can't really up her hours as patches are at inconvenient times but I guess I could - it means I will now go on the Saturday am and the after school patches which I would normally leave to the kids but since I'm there anyway for my daughter I might as well get some value for my £50.

It's on a two month trial so might as well try it this month as I'm not sure it will last.

LOL!!! Now how did I know you were going to mention this???

Nicki

LoopLoop
11-01-2006, 08:49 AM
* Coaches who hog the CD player for the entire freestyle session, ensuring that I will leave the rink without ever skating my program. :frus:

* Deer-in-headlight beginner kids on my freestyle session. 8O

* Parents of said deer-in-headlight kids who thought it was a good idea to put them on a mixed level freestyle session! :giveup:

My pet peeve is rinks that allow these! My rink was closed for two months for maintenance, and while it was closed I had to skate other places and was reminded why I like my rink so much even those it's older than all of the others in town.

BatikatII
11-01-2006, 09:31 AM
LOL!!! Now how did I know you were going to mention this???

Nicki

....er...... because I was annoyed about it this morning at the rink!:halo:

Don't get me wrong - I think it's great the rink have finally come up with a voucher system to reduce the costs and have no problem with people doing more patch paying less per hour but for me personally and daughter, we are both at the exact cut off point where it is not worthwhile. If we only skated a couple of hours each then it wouldn't seem so bad but when we are at the point of paying almost the same amount as the voucher and getting less than 3 hours each for it, it is annoying when you know other skaters are getting 5, 8, 10 or more hours for the same price.:frus:

Team Arthritis
11-01-2006, 09:41 AM
All the above cover the basic peeves but my #1 greatest annoyance is my body wearing out: Feeling great, full of energy, zipping around fast BXO's, push into a great set really going for a big easy Waltz jump and have excruciating pain shoot through the bum knee as I land. 8O All the other stuff I can get around.
Lyle

Isk8NYC
11-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Don't get me wrong - I think it's great the rink have finally come up with a voucher system to reduce the costs and have no problem with people doing more patch paying less per hour but for me personally and daughter, we are both at the exact cut off point where it is not worthwhile. If we only skated a couple of hours each then it wouldn't seem so bad but when we are at the point of paying almost the same amount as the voucher and getting less than 3 hours each for it, it is annoying when you know other skaters are getting 5, 8, 10 or more hours for the same price.:frus:Ask if they have a "family" plan. Together, you're buying 6 hours a week. Can't hurt to ask, right?

sk8_4fun
11-01-2006, 02:15 PM
at the risk of sounding churlish.....

1. when the rink management schedule very special needs adults (being pushed in wheelchairs) onto the ice in the middle of the group lessons on our adult morning session with 50-60 skaters learning at once. (yes, there by the grace of god go I, but there is a time and place, surely)

2. when the rink management cone off one 3rd of the ice for the russian ice stars to rehearse wether they are skating on it or not in the middle of the group lessons on our adult morning session.

3. both of the above at the same time

4.when the rink management cancel the patch with no warning:frus:

5. rink management full stop!

BatikatII
11-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Ask if they have a "family" plan. Together, you're buying 6 hours a week. Can't hurt to ask, right?

I have and they don't, won't, not interested. I think the rink will lose money doing this voucher system since I know many individual skaters who do 8 or 10 or more, hours a week and so are saving a half or two thirds of what they normally pay. My friend reckons she will save enough between now and Christmas to buy a new pair of boots!

I've now decided to get in some extra hours this month - it will be the rinks Christmas present to me! And having realised the club ice is included I can skate the Sunday night patch after panto rehearsals and will go on the ice instead of watching when daughter has her lessons. Should do wonders for my skating and at no extra cost!:D

Isk8NYC
11-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Good for you, BatikatII! Make lemons into lemonade, right?

Mrs Redboots
11-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Another really annoying thing is when you go to a club session and find you're skating so badly it isn't even fun, which is what happened to me last night. Grrr.

doubletoe
11-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Let me add one that describes this morning's session perfectly (where's the tearing-out-hair smiley when you need one?):

A freestyle session where there are beginners (with mothers or coaches) parked at both ends of the rink--either in the hockey circles or on the red end lines--because they think they are "out of the way" there. Meanwhile, the two or three things you desperately need to practice are patterns that have to go around the ends of the rink! I'll try to do the pattern around the end of the rink 10 times and have to abort halfway through each time because they somehow can't figure out that I'm trying to go around the end of the rink and they are right in my path. Aaauuughhh!!!! :frus: :cry:

FrankR
11-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Let me add one that describes this morning's session perfectly (where's the tearing-out-hair smiley when you need one?):

A freestyle session where there are beginners (with mothers or coaches) parked at both ends of the rink--either in the hockey circles or on the red end lines--because they think they are "out of the way" there. Meanwhile, the two or three things you desperately need to practice are patterns that have to go around the ends of the rink! I'll try to do the pattern around the end of the rink 10 times and have to abort halfway through each time because they somehow can't figure out that I'm trying to go around the end of the rink and they are right in my path. Aaauuughhh!!!! :frus: :cry:

I have a variation on this same theme. I'm a lefty skater and just about every session I skate on people tend to camp out in the corners where I would typically place lutz jumps because they forget I'm a lefty and they figure they're safe in the "opposite" lutz corners because most people are righty skaters. At some point the parties in question will eventually move but it usually takes ten or fifteen minutes. I usually just give up and work on something else until they move.

doubletoe
11-02-2006, 03:20 PM
I wish people just wouldn't "camp out"--period--on freestyle sessions, KWIM?!:frus:

FrankR
11-02-2006, 03:34 PM
I wish people just wouldn't "camp out"--period--on freestyle sessions, KWIM?!:frus:

Oh I agree. However, putting myself in their shoes I realize that sometimes you need to practice on a circle (The eight step mohawk step springs to mind). If the center circle is already occupied then usually the skater and/or coach will choose one of the ones in the lutz corners and they tend to choose the lefty lutz corners more often than not. It's just my bad luck being born a lefty skater. :cry: ;)

Team Arthritis
11-02-2006, 03:54 PM
yeh that was our rink this AM, along with 5 coaches giving lessons simultaneously, sheesh. I spent a lot of time on the blue lines as 2 kids were working the slide chasse pattern.

To help, I went to one of the kids in the FLip corner and kept congratulating her on how far she'd come with her scratch spin and pointing out that it was so good now that she deserved to practice it in the center! all I got was the "you must be nuts" look, sigh :frus:
Lyle

NCSkater02
11-03-2006, 08:31 PM

You mean the five or six kids that always stand in the corners and don't watch the other skaters doing patterns so that you have to abort repeatedly until you finally just get rude and tell them to move?? Their coaches are starting to tell them to skate and not socialize.

Mrs Redboots
11-04-2006, 05:50 AM
You mean the five or six kids that always stand in the corners and don't watch the other skaters doing patterns so that you have to abort repeatedly until you finally just get rude and tell them to move?? Their coaches are starting to tell them to skate and not socialize.Actually, it's the coaches that will always teach from the same place on the ice, so when you are looking for a circle to do crossovers round, even, you can't find one, and when you are doing a lap of whatever Moves you happen to be practising, you end up either having to abort while someone does a triple jump seriously close to you, or else he, poor lad, has to abort his triple! (It's usually the same lad!).

On the other hand, it's also awkward when you think that a certain coach is safely ensconced in one corner, and don't realise the quarter-hour has struck so he now has a different pupil - and is teaching her somewhere else!

On the other hand, with two Senior, one Junior and three Adult dance couples, plus any number of solo dancers all using the same ice (not, normally, all on the same session, but it has happened!), the first thing you learn is how to keep your eyes open!

Rusty Blades
11-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Pet peeve 1 thru 10 (inclusive!): people who don't watch where they are going, primarily coaches who drift backward while watching their skater and have no idea who they are about to cut off, and the skaters who dart out from the boards without even looking.

Ok, add #11 - Zamboni drivers who don't know how to (or are too much in a hurry to) shave the ice to remove the hockey ruts!