View Full Version : Private Lesson "Purchase Plans"

Isk8NYC
10-30-2006, 10:27 AM
The rinks I teach at allow the coaches to teach private lessons and collect the fees from the students directly. (The skaters also pay their admission fee for the session to the cashier/office of the rink.)

I've had a number of parents ask if I offer any kind of "Purchase Plan" for the private lessons. Instead of paying me $xx each time, they're looking for 6 lessons for $zzz. The family that asked this weekend has a daughter whom I've taught before and really like working with on the ice. The girl's got potential. There's also a very nice freestyle skater that I would love to have as a student. (She's coming out of a group lesson program last year.)

I don't know any other coaches who offer that type of a plan, or I'd ask their advice. It's appealing because I'd be paid in advance and it might cut down on the "no shows" that often happen with beginners. I would still have to pay the commission, which is a percentage of the fee.

In talking to my husband, he gave me some advice on keeping track of how many lessons have been used. I still have a few questions:

∙ Should I charge a discounted rate?
∙ Should I include the session admission fee and bundle it all together?

Any advice would be appreciated.

phoenix
10-30-2006, 10:58 AM
I know a number of coaches who invoice their students once a month--but it's after the fact, not before. I always liked getting paid every week. Being paid ahead does sound great, especially as you said to discourage no-shows.

My take on it would be that I wouldn't offer a discount unless there was a significant number of hours being taken (I'd say more than an hour per week)--why sell yourself short? You are worth being paid for your time--unless the pre-payment is a huge deal to you....basically it's just making it easier for the parent to write one check, not sure that's worth much in the way of a discount.

My other opinion is that I wouldn't include the session fee in w/ the lesson fee. You don't work for the rink, so don't set yourself up for being responsible for paying them. I guess it's your call, but for me it would seem like it's just one more thing to keep track of. And if you end up with a LOT of students doing this, it could become a nightmare.....Mary is skating this session every week except for next week, Sue is skating this session for 2 weeks but then switching to this other one....ugh. Let them track their own schedules with the rink.

Mrs Redboots
10-30-2006, 12:02 PM
I think several of the coaches at my rink do this with their more promising students - an all-in-one weekly or monthly fee which covers ice time, a daily lesson and, in some cases, off-ice training and perhaps a weekly stroking class as well.

Other "regulars", like us, pay weekly rather than every time, but we don't have enough lessons to make it worth our while going on one of these plans!

Scarlett
10-30-2006, 05:52 PM
I originally approached my coach about a plan like that but instead he just invoices me for all the lessons I take during the month. That way we don't have any IOUs for short or long lessons or when our schedules is in conflict. It is just easier for both of us to be invoiced at the end. I only think that will work if you have a reliable student.

As far as the discount is concerned, I wouldn't offer one because you are shortchanging yourself for your time. As far as the rink fees are concerned, let the student deal with that with the rink.

Hope it all works out.

SpaMama
10-30-2006, 07:54 PM
My DD's coach gives a discount for 3 or more half hour lessons a week. Basically it is a weekly rate that lowers the 1/2 hour average. I pay for stickers in the office for ice time and it is our responsibility to take care of that. We always have the same lessons at the same times, she is always there for them, and we are always there, so its not a problem for us to keep track of. I normally pay for the whole month up front, and if we have to cancel a lesson, we just make it up in that week. DD does external PE for school, so we have to be there 4 out of 5 days anyway, so it is not an issue, it is already branded into our schedule! We probably wouldnt be doing lessons 3 days a week otherwise, just 2, so it does help!

Spa Mama