View Full Version : +GOE or -GOE? (Practice Thread 10/29 - 11/4/2006)

doubletoe
10-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Okay, I've been looking at the judges' scoring sheets for Skate America today, so the + or - Grades of Execution title seemed like a good one! Mind if I start the thread for this week?

+ GOE
Actually managed to get up at 5am on a weekend to practice, ensuring I would actually be able to play my music on a freestyle session, LOL! For the first time, I skated my whole program (missing any jump over 1 revolution, but never mind that detail) and immediately skated the last minute of the program, in effect skating a 3-1/2 minute program. If I can keep this up, I should be able to put an end to my stamina problems.

I'm also getting pretty consistent on my Intermediate MIF, which I'm testing in a week and a half.

- GOE
Still can't seem to land my loop-axel anymore, and the double sal has gone missing, too. Hopefully, I'll have more time to work on my jumps once I pass this MIF test. . .

jazzpants
10-29-2006, 08:54 PM
+GOE:

Nice to be back skating again after 5 days of working around Skate SF.
Landed 3 clean flips!!! (Thank you! Thank you, doubletoe!!! That 3turn entry advice DID work!!! It wasn't hard landing them after waiting out the entry and really going into the 3 on a deeper edge!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: )
Spins are all present and accounted for! :D
Sal, toe loop, and waltz jumps also all accounted for! :D
Was at Skate SF for a short time today and ran into Craig Heath on the way back to my car. Felt embarrased that I didn't recognized him right away b/c he was in his normal clothes and no sunglasses and he recognized me... :oops: (I've skated with him a few times during FS sessions. That's the one good thing about morning FS session... you are more likely to end up on a session with an elite or almost elite skater at my rink.)
Last night I was star-gazing the Senior Men's Free Skate event. How often do you get to have Nicholas LaRoche, Michael Villereal, and Braden Overett LIVE on your home ice??? (BTW: I've managed to snag a pic with Braden Overett (http://flickr.com/photos/jazzpants/282034084/)! What a handsome young man and a class act to boot too!) :mrgreen: And if you're curious, yes, he won both the Senior Men events and got a nice big glass "salad bowl" trophy to take home to Denver! :P :lol: (Besides the big jumps and gorgeous spins, he's got GORGEOUS footwork, presence AND charisma in his program!!! WOW WOW WOW!!! We're not worthy! We're not worthy!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: )-GOE:

No loop!!! :cry:
Working out the kinks of my new footwork to deal with a judging thing for my Bronze FS test program...doubletoe: Good luck with your Int. Moves test in a week and half! WOO HOO!!! :mrgreen:

SkatingOnClouds
10-30-2006, 02:07 AM
GOE -

Saturday: Lingering effects of bronchitis, after 2 weeks. The ice was horrible, seemed like it hadn't been done for a couple of days. Fell on a mohawk and banged my knee which has proceeded to swell and stiffen. Not enough energy to do much, jumps seem completely stalled. Oh, and then I got a migraine when I got home. Still felt rotten on Sunday morning so that session wasn't any better.

GOE +

at least my spins are starting to come back. Whenever a miss a couple of sessions my spins completely disappear. Even though I haven't felt like skating I have pushed myself and it is worth it just to centre spins again.

I now have what I consider to be a good 1/2 flip. All this practising the entry set up and picking, the 1/2 jump works well. Hasn't translated to decent full flips yet though.

GOE -
Going through one of those stages when I wonder whether I am ever going to get all my elements back. I set myself the goal of having all the elements I could do 20+ years ago back by the end of this year. My loop sucks, but then it did 20+ years ago, so that doesn't bother me too much. I am a flip and a lutz away from my goal. I know I can do these jumps, I just have to persevere. My spins aren't too far away, although my change foot needs to be more consistent yet. Perseverance !!!

Isk8NYC
10-30-2006, 10:14 AM
GOE-

I worked on waltz jumps with students yesterday, then did a whole bunch of them myself. Much easier on a deep edge than a flat. So why a minus? My heel hurts again. :cry:

GOE+

Spins are back on center and controlled. I did a backspin and I was shocked to see one of my twins follow my lead and actually do a beginner version! Really shocked since she spins the opposite direction from me!

I think I can pass Pre-Bronze MITF and even FS since there are no full jumps, only half jumps.
Left a message for a coach that I want to take lessons from in preparation for the tests.
I'm waiting for a call back to try and arrange a time.

TimDavidSkate
10-30-2006, 10:37 AM
- GOE
Havent practiced my competition program for this Sunday 8O nor even ran through the program + I havent skated bc I was at Skate America

+ GOE
Got a lot of useful and helpful advice from Kurt Browning, Emily Hughes, and Nobunari Oda on performance execution :D

doubletoe
10-30-2006, 11:27 AM
+GOE:
[LIST]
Landed 3 clean flips!!! (Thank you! Thank you, doubletoe!!! That 3turn entry advice DID work!!! It wasn't hard landing them after waiting out the entry and really going into the 3 on a deeper edge!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: )

Last night I was star-gazing the Senior Men's Free Skate event. How often do you get to have Nicholas LaRoche, Michael Villereal, and Braden Overett LIVE on your home ice??? [LIST]

Yay!!!!:bow: That's so exciting about your flip! :D
I didn't realize Nick and Michael were doing Skate S.F. How did they do? I often see them at practice on the weekends down here and occasionally chat with Nick. He has such beautiful flow over the ice, and of course he's got that gorgeous hydroblade. Meanwhile, Michael has that powerful triple axel! His costumes are always just a little odd, though. . .

flying~camel
10-30-2006, 11:51 AM
+GOE:

My coach had me work on salchow all the way through the lutz yesterday and we made some major improvements! The jumps are higher, more secure and feel more natural.

We also worked on my flying camel a bit, which is usually inconsistent. After a couple of small changes in body position, I hit every single flying camel I tried. :P

As an added bonus, I tried an outside spread eagle from a sort of "squat" position and it worked! Now I just need to add some more speed and work on strengthening my calves so I can stand up straight!

-GOE:

I fell out of a layback spin and picked myself in the back of my right knee. So, now I have a rather large gash that's a little tender to the touch :cry:

Team Arthritis
10-30-2006, 12:09 PM
+GOE
made the 6AM session
getting better at picking up my wife (she won't let me pick anyone else up, no really!:lol: )

-GOE
made the 6AM session
so now I'm tired, behind and short tempered :roll:
anyone else want something! :evil:

Lyle

Mrs Redboots
10-30-2006, 12:19 PM
+GOE
made the 6AM session
getting better at picking up my wife (she won't let me pick anyone else up, no really!:lol: )I just hope you don't look quite as much like a weight-lifter as my Husband does in the photos of us at the British Adult Championships!

Emberchyld
10-30-2006, 12:26 PM
-GOE

My entire lesson last wednesday was a disaster-- my weaker leg was tired from really pushing it all week long, so about 5 minutes into the lesson I lost most of the strength towards the front of my foot.

My instructor couldn't understand why, one minute I could cleanly pull off a BOE and BIE... and the next minute I was very ungracefully hugging the ice every two minutes.

Of course, that was the day that he planned to work on a lot of 1-footed stuff on that leg!

And forward inside 3-turns. Argh... my inside edge cuts so deep into the ice that I get "stuck"... have to work on those!

+GOE

An awesome public skate on Sunday. The ice was packed with B-day party kids, but for the first time in ages, it was as smooth as silk. And I was on the entire time.

But one of the more rewarding moments? One of the little b-day party kids was having a miserable time trying to sludge across the ice with her boots basically unlaced (one was tied at the top of her foot! with the rest of the boot flopping loose at her ankle! What ARE these people thinking?). I sat myself on the ice with her, relaced her skates properly, and sent her on her way.

I'll trade a million perfect 3-turns for the smile I saw on her face as she skated by later with her friends! It's little things that help foster the love of skating in kids... and other little things-- like poorly laced skates, indifferent skate guards, and bad ice, that can totally turn someone off of skating forever.

Team Arthritis
10-30-2006, 12:58 PM
I just hope you don't look quite as much like a weight-lifter as my Husband does in the photos of us at the British Adult Championships!
:oops: wife says I make all sorts of faces and look constipated :lol:
Lyle

Team Arthritis
10-30-2006, 01:00 PM
But one of the more rewarding moments? One of the little b-day party kids was having a miserable time trying to sludge across the ice with her boots basically unlaced (one was tied at the top of her foot! with the rest of the boot flopping loose at her ankle! What ARE these people thinking?). I sat myself on the ice with her, relaced her skates properly, and sent her on her way.

I'll trade a million perfect 3-turns for the smile I saw on her face as she skated by later with her friends! It's little things that help foster the love of skating in kids... and other little things-- like poorly laced skates, indifferent skate guards, and bad ice, that can totally turn someone off of skating forever.
:bow: well done:!:
Lyle

jazzpants
10-30-2006, 01:34 PM
:oops: wife says I make all sorts of faces and look constipated :lol:
LyleLOL!!! My primary coach says that I looked constipated coming off the ice from my last Bronze Moves test! :twisted: :lol:

Isk8NYC
10-30-2006, 01:48 PM
I'll trade a million perfect 3-turns for the smile I saw on her face as she skated by later with her friends! It's little things that help foster the love of skating in kids... and other little things-- like poorly laced skates, indifferent skate guards, and bad ice, that can totally turn someone off of skating forever.A good deed that will no doubt be repaid at some point in the future! :bow:

dbny
10-30-2006, 02:38 PM
+GOE
Went barefoot today and loved not having that awful slippy feeling!

-GOE
Was too tired to work much on anything, though I did try everything we worked on in my last lesson.

Sonic
10-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Usual free skate on this evening's tea-time session.

+GOE
Jumps.

-GOE
Spin entrance has reverted. Even my coach, who has the patience of a saint, was starting to get exasperated.
Sit spin has disapeared. Should be renamed 'Stick butt out randomly air and collect air miles' spin.
Programme: Haven't done it for about a month so decided to give it a bash today.
The good news: I am no longer out of breath halfway through, which means asthma is better at the moment and/or I am getting fitter.
The bad news: Apart from the bit at the beginning, even the simple steps/arm movements set seem beyond me at the moment...I feel (and look) extremely clumsy. These are going to take an inordinate amount of work.

Bit worrying that free skating is supposed to be my 'strongest' discipline and I'm finding such a simple programme so hard. However, I'm up for a challenge, and I am determined that by the middle of next year, I'll not only be able to skate it, but skate it well.

S xxx

jazzpants
10-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Yay!!!!:bow: That's so exciting about your flip! :D Well, let's see if it STAYS there this time around!!!

It was a weird experience b/c all of a sudden I could easily land those flips clean and the only thing I was left having to clean up were the arms flying up over the ears. OMG!!! 8O

I didn't realize Nick and Michael were doing Skate S.F. How did they do? I often see them at practice on the weekends down here and occasionally chat with Nick. He has such beautiful flow over the ice, and of course he's got that gorgeous hydroblade. Meanwhile, Michael has that powerful triple axel! His costumes are always just a little odd, though. . .Nick got the Silver and Michael the Bronze. Everyone else withdrew from the event!!! Both Michael and Nick did a wonderful job on their program, but Braden has the better footwork and interpretation scores! But in any case, let's just say the Senior Men was the MUST SEE EVENT this year at Skate SF... :bow:

And you get to see those two at practice on the weekends and speak with Nick!!! OMG!!! 8O :bow: (Yup! Nick definitely a hottie...well for a kid anyway!!!) though I think Braden was more "hottie" than the other two b/c he has this charm and charisma about him... ;) (If you've read Shere's comment on him at CAS or have met him, you'll know what I mean...) The beard and goatee suits him quite well, I think!

skating_babe11
10-30-2006, 06:30 PM
+GOE

I at least got back on the ice today (only 25 mins) froma 3 week break. Bad thing is my ankle still hurt so ill be off for another week! grrrr. I think i might go watch sectionals since it is only 1 3/4 of an hour away and i have a friend competing in it.

-GOE

Streched muscle in my ankle is really starting to make me mad. I know i need time to heal it but i just want to get back on the ice. And skating today didnt help it! :giveup:

jazzpants
10-30-2006, 11:23 PM
+GOE:

Landed a couple more flips clean!!! I also had a couple of toe tap and scary wonky landings where I'm all twisted up. 8O I wish primary coach saw those tonight but he was busy with all 3 of his students! DRATS!!!
Backspins, sit spins and forward spins all accounted for at the beginning of the sesssion.
Toe loop, salchow, waltz-toe and waltz all there!-GOE:

No loops!!!! :frus:
Backspin disappeared along with the smooth ice and my legs towards the end.
My legs and lower back on the right side (my spinning side) was cramping towards the end of the session. I decided then that it was a good stopping point and went home. (Figuring that I have an early day tomorrow anyway and shouldn't stay the entire evening anyway...)Funny notes of the day:

Note 1: Primary coach ragging on his student to NOT CUT OFF THE CORNER... then he said "You hear that!!!" then turns to ME and says "DO NOT CUT OFF THE CORNERS!!! :twisted:" Then says (to me) "Oh, wait! You already passed this test!!! :P :lol: " Of course, I snidely reminded him ONE of the judges comments was "GOOD ICE COVERAGE"...even right thru that STUPID DITCH!!! :twisted: He cracks up more!!! :lol:

Note 1a: I also was supposed to deliver the message "Nice costume!" to Primary coach. Of course, he was just wearing his usual coach's casual clothes!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

Note 2: My husband, who was cheering for the Mets, was exchanging verbal jabs with our Monday night ice monitor, who happens to be a CARDS fan! And I was the go between b/c my husband doesn't skate and I was... Stuff like "Tell him that 'Cards SUCKS!!!'" to "Before you give me your husband's message, tell him I'm not accepting message from Yanks!!!" :twisted: :lol: (Of course, both were doing it in good humor -- the ice monitor likes me, but gets along with HIM better!!! LOL!!!)

Mrs Redboots
10-31-2006, 06:30 AM
Negative GOE: Well, I don't know what happened, but we were just skating along doing plain inside edges in Kilian hold - one of our easiest exercises - and all of a sudden I lost my balance and got totally stuck, and could only get out of it by falling! Husband held on to me, but I was laughing so hard it took me awhile to get up again.

Coach gave us some fiendish exercises to do in our lesson - mostly trying to do semi-circles (Field Moves style) in various holds - not at all easy! Husband's shoulders don't move too well, and nor do mine, and the object of the exercise was to get our shoulders round. We both find, too, that we expect each other to know what we're going to do without saying - I assumed he'd know I was off-balance; he assumed I'd know he was going to do a run there..... not at all easy.

I think Husband, having remembered to bring his water bottle, his guards and his fleece home from Oxford (this is unheard-of, he usually leaves at least one of them at every competition), has left his water bottle at the rink this morning! I should have double-checked; I usually do - of course, this was the one morning I didn't!

Positive: We also had to run round the circle in reverse Kilian hold, which is one of our more difficult things. We didn't feel we'd done it very well, particularly anti-clockwise, but Coach said it was the best he'd seen us do! Ah well....

kateskate
10-31-2006, 07:54 AM
+GOE
I had the usual post competition excitement at the prospect of practising whatever I want! But I was good and practised my field moves for 30mins. They seemed ok. There is always need for improvement but they felt comfortable. And I had to demonstrate choctaws to one of the kids as it is the one thing I can do better than her!

I did a few decent axels - without a thud and to backwards. Sadly arms are still flailing out of control and there is little to no distance between take off and landing.

My free skating teacher is back so it was nice to see her! She's been away for a week with some of the kids training in Switzerland.

Noone realised I was competing yesterday so everyone was asking me how Victoria did. I then pointed out I competed too and they felt bad for not asking! Awww

Had an excellent free skating lesson today though. My teacher's 7.30am lesson didn't show up so as I was there she took me early and I ended up having an hours lesson. It was fun! We didn't do field moves at all which was a nice change. Did axels mainly. First few were horrendous but I then did a few decent ones and so she decided to rechoreograph my programme and put it back in! Yay.

Did one nice double salchow - felt nice and light. And then we moved onto double cherries and I nearly landed one to backwards. I did about 3 or 4 that were a quarter short. They don't feel difficult in the air - I was surprised that she said I had pretty much landed it as it didn't feel hard. The take off is a bit weird sometimes but if I can get that right and consistent I feel I could get this jump.....

-GOE
Spins were a bit off. Last night I kept falling on change foot sits. Todays were better but teacher said it looked like I was being strangled on the back sit!

Was very out of practice of running through my free skating programme and that along with the horrid cold I have was enough to have me exhausted after each run through.

And now the worst part - my dance teacher was ONE HOUR LATE. :x :roll: So I didn't get a lesson. I guess it was ok as I got an hour of free skating but still I am annoyed. I got a half hearted apology from him when he eventually arrived. And I'm already feeling quite upset since he had texted me about lessons on Sunday but didn't say well done or anythng about my competition. And I'd told him how I'd done. I don't expect him to call or text to find out how I'd done but if I've told him and he's having to text me anyways he could have said well done. :cry: :cry: I think I'm just used to my free skating teacher who always wants to know how I do, even in dance.

I have a dance lesson tomorrow morning - in theory.........

Emberchyld
10-31-2006, 12:11 PM
A good deed that will no doubt be repaid at some point in the future! :bow:

:D Hopefully by either that little girl passing the "proper lacing" technique onto another skater when she sees someone in that situation (thus keeping kids skating and rinks open instead of shutting down because there's "not enough interest"-- oops, did I reveal my master plan? *mwaa-ha-ha*)

or...

Maybe someday she'll become a famous skater and remember the old lady who fixed her skates her first time skating and then offers me free coaching...

Really, seeing a formerly miserable kid falling in love with skating is definitely payment enough. Even though the skate guards don't give a #$@^ it seems, at least these kids (and their parents, who are watching) leave the ice with a great feeling. And at the rinks that I skate at, it's usually the older figure (and one or two adult hockey) skaters who go out of the way to help out these kids (and adults)-- so, I think it's a really positive impression we leave of our sport. (Especially since most first-timers leave the ice with shell-shock from the little speed monsters in hockey skates who zip by them, in front of them, and kick ice onto them.)

jazzpants
10-31-2006, 01:22 PM
-GOE:
No loops! Then again, we really didn't go over that today! Seems my coach STILL has an OBSESSION with the waltz jump! :twisted: Today's focus was making sure that I'm kicking thru consistently and trying to jump higher. She's threatened a couple of times to put me back on that harness and "drop me" again! :twisted:

+GOE:
Waltz jumps are kicking thru, though it's not consistent on the attempts, especially if I'm tired!!! We also worked on "jumping skills" and towards the end of the session I've started getting a little bit more height and lift, enough that secondary coach was tentatively hopeful, but said "you have to keep this up! I don't want to lose whatever progress we did make today!!!" :twisted:

-GOE:
Legs are very tired and right lower back wasn't happy after the lesson. After going home, a very warm shower and a LOT of stretching, I'm finally getting back to normal again.

Isk8NYC
10-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Snuck out for a scenic skate on a wonderful ice at lunchtime today. I've forgotten how nice it is to skate in fresh air. $5 for a 2-hour session with four other skaters. Can't beat that deal.

+GOE:
Ran through every maneuver on the Pre-Bronze MITF test. Forgot my diagrams, so I had to fake the new 3-turn pattern, but I think I actually remembered it! (Plus, I intimidated two hockey players into getting off my pattern! :twisted: )

Scratch, sit, and back spins were good; a bit of travel but I haven't skated at this rink in years, so I'll attribute it to unfamiliar ice.

I DID A CAMEL SPIN! It took six tries, but I eventually did two or three good ones. It's all in the arms for me, for some reason. :roll:

Waltz jumps were good. My half jumps (flip, lutz, loop) were okay. I'm going to find out if the half-loop is acceptable for the Pre-Bronze FS test since it's stronger than my half-lutz. The half flip looks cute because I can bring my feet together in the air!

-GOE:
I've discovered that doing a two foot spin from back crossovers makes it travel. I'm much better doing it from a standstill. Things that make me go hmmmm.

I need to lose a bit of weight before I really try to jump, but I couldn't even come close on landing the flips and loops today. Didn't even try (no death wish here!) a lutz or half-axel. :frus:

Clare
10-31-2006, 05:30 PM
+GOE;
Finally conquered my insane fear of backward crossovers and let go of my coach's hand. Now if I could just remember to breathe next time too, I'm all set ;)

The backwards one foot glide which has been eluding me for an embarrassing amount of time finally showed itself tonight :)

LFO 3 Turns are starting to work fairly consistently rather than very occasionally.

-GOE;
RFO 3 Turns still need to improve by about 900% :frus:

Hit the ice in spectacular style during the great backward crossover breakthrough, unfortunately taking my poor coach with me. It's lucky we both bounce ;)

Clare

Skittl1321
10-31-2006, 08:16 PM
+GOE- I had a private lesson! No one else in my group showed up for halloween... we worked on waltz jumps, which are getting to look more like a jump, spins- which I actually held for more than a rotation, crossovers- which I was able to put in with more power, and then we started on a toe loop! I love this jump (so far). Apparently I'm going into it with less hesitation than the waltz jump, and the gal I worked with said it looks better than the waltz. I now have 2 jumps in my repertoire, although to save I have them is to say it very loosely.

-GOE- we also worked on 3 turns on a circle, not so good. My 3 turns just aren't as good as they were when I was in cheap skates. Everything else is a million times better though. The other thing was I noticed how much better I'd be doing if I was taking private lessons. This lesson was so much more productive than the normal group lessons. Bummer, because I really can't afford them- although I am going to start a once a month lesson.

Rusty Blades
10-31-2006, 08:33 PM
-GOE Tonight's session was cancelled due to Halloween - apparently I was the only one who saw nothing wrong with skating on Halloween :roll:

+GOE My dog LOVES Halloween! She just loves having all the little kids come to visit. I think it was almost worth staying home to see her so happy and excited. LOL! :mrgreen:

mikawendy
10-31-2006, 08:39 PM
I DID A CAMEL SPIN! It took six tries, but I eventually did two or three good ones. It's all in the arms for me, for some reason. :roll:

Woohoo! Way to go! I agree about the arms--I have to go into it with my free arm pushed way across my torso until I hook the turn, then I open it up. If I drop that free shoulder during the entry or the spin, however, it pulls me onto too deep of a BI edge after the hook, and all is lost and I'm doing some awful BI circle-y thingy that looks neither like a camel nor a BI loop.

+GOE
Few kids at the rink today because of Halloween. (Note to self: must remember to skate on Halloween more often.)

+/- GOE
Had to park in lower nowhere in my neighborhood because of all of the extra people in the neighborhood for trick or treating. On the long walk back to my house (in my skating clothes still), I was offered candy by quite a few of the people sitting on their porches with bowls of candy.

- GOE
Three of the four jumping passes in my program are toward one end of the rink and all finish with me facing the other end of the rink. So I get all stressed out about my combo jump, fight to land it, then have a blank out as I go to do the next step and realize it's the wrong step! :roll:

frvanilla
10-31-2006, 09:48 PM
+GOE
I am back on the ice (for a few weeks now). :P Today I landed my first lutz after five attempts. After spending 6 months struggling with the flip, this is like a Halloween's treat. All other jumps are solid. :halo:

-GOE
Not today. ^+++++++++++++^

Debbie S
10-31-2006, 11:25 PM
+GOE:
Skated on 2 near-empty sessions tonight. There were a few other adults and a couple of teenagers. Got to run through my program several times. I landed all of my jumps, but the change-sit is still hit or miss. I give myself a 50% chance of doing it reasonably correctly on Sunday.

-GOE:
Had my music stopped in the middle of my first run-through by a teenager who wanted to play her dance music. Uh, hello? I skated over to the side and informed her of what she had done and she looked surprised. Did she think someone was playing "Rhapsody in Blue" for fun? :twisted: :roll:

Really, really negative GOE:
I'd been on the ice for about 20 minutes and my right ankle started hurting as if something was rubbing against it. "Something" turned out to be the side of the tongue of that skate - it twists a bit to the outside and the edge of the tongue has started rubbing the skin on my ankle - and I mean rubbing raw. Ouch! I noticed the other day that I had a red mark on my ankle, but I assumed it was a cut from shaving. So now my custom $630 skates are doing essentially the same thing as my SP-Teris (which weren't cheap, either). Grrr.

I relaced a couple of times tonight but nothing seemed to help, and when I took my skates off, I noticed a...um....reddish mark on my tights on that spot - yuck! The problem is I have an allergy to Vitamin E oils and lotions and such, and when I wore bunga pads a few times a couple of years ago, I developed a rash around my ankles where the pads were. I concluded that the gel material on the inside of the pads contained Vitamin E. When I was in my SP-Teris, I tried moleskin over tender spots, but it didn't stay stuck and one of the corners started dugging into my skin while I skated. :frus:

I have a comp this weekend, so I need to come up with a quick fix. One of the skating moms said her daughter has stuck moleskin to the inside of her skates at times, but I have lambswool lining on the tongue so I don't know if that would work. I'm thinking the only solution is to wear a bunga pad on that ankle and hope I don't break out in hives. As for a long-term solution, I'm kind of at a loss b/c I don't know if Klingbeil could even do anything, plus I'd have to go there in person (I assume) in order to show them exactly where the problem is. Has anyone else had this problem? I've been wearing the skates for 9 months w/o a problem until now.

NoVa Sk8r
10-31-2006, 11:50 PM
As for a long-term solution, I'm kind of at a loss b/c I don't know if Klingbeil could even do anything, plus I'd have to go there in person (I assume) in order to show them exactly where the problem is. Has anyone else had this problem? I've been wearing the skates for 9 months w/o a problem until now.I've had the same problem. In March, I had my Klingbeils (which were basically breaking down) rebuilt--and they did an exellent job. Before that, a club member gave me a couple of thick, circular sponge/makeup pads. I wedged one between the lambswool tongue and my ankle and it held up (for the WFSC club and CRC competitions, no doubt). I think it's a fairly common occurrence. My boot tongues had actually split at the sides (after the lambswool became matted) and were not just rubbing but cutting my ankles. Thank God Don gave me new rubber tongues (and restitched the whole lining of my boots, both at no cost).

jenlyon60
11-01-2006, 04:45 AM
Debbie

Klingbeil should be able to make the fix. Can you have someone take a digital picture of your foot and the red spot? Then your foot in the boot, unlaced but maybe with the tongue tucked into place. Perhaps you could be pointing to where the red spot is at, or use a photo editor to draw in an arrow to where the spot is at.

Then call and see if you can send them back. They should do the adjustment for free except for the shipment charges.

I've always chosen their sponge tongues so haven't had problems with the lambswool.

Rob Dean
11-01-2006, 06:50 AM
Another note on the Halloween thing--I'm going to be traveling on business later this week, which will disrupt my son's lesson schedule. His coach called yesterday to say that with Halloween cancellations he now had extra time, so son decided he'd better have the makeup lesson while he could. The two of them had one of the two rinks at UD entirely to themselves. The medium freestyle session on the other rink had people; guess the older/higher you get the more likel you are to prioritize the skating.

Rob

Mrs Redboots
11-01-2006, 08:58 AM
+ GOE: Skating this morning was pretty good, on the whole. Husband and I got some useful work done on our edges, and then stepped through the Canasta and Fiesta Tangos and the 14-step. In my lesson, we worked on the dance moves - the cross-rolls are getting better, but the cross-cuts are still totally impossible - and on the linking back crossovers. And then we worked on the end pattern of the 14-step which was rather fun - no way did I do it well, but I do think I did it rather better than the coach expected!

- GOE: Back cross-cuts. I simply can't make the things work as they should - either my weight is too far forward (the usual problem) or my knees are too straight or I'm flat or, or, or.... I am tempted to give up in despair, but it feels so feeble when there are still a couple of months before the deadline. But if anybody has any hints on this impossible move, do say! Loudly! I just don't understand how I can have my body leaning backwards while placing my foot down on the ice in front of me, and my posture lurches forwards every single time.

Team Arthritis
11-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Debbie S - if you are brave enough a quick cure for tongue rotating is to cut 2 up and down slits about 3/4 an inch apart in upper tongue at the level of middle hooks and then crisscross the laces through them. The only trick is that you have to do this carefully so the lace isn't twisted over your bare skin.
Lyle

kateskate
11-01-2006, 09:22 AM
- GOE: Back cross-cuts. I simply can't make the things work as they should - either my weight is too far forward (the usual problem) or my knees are too straight or I'm flat or, or, or.... I am tempted to give up in despair, but it feels so feeble when there are still a couple of months before the deadline. But if anybody has any hints on this impossible move, do say! Loudly! I just don't understand how I can have my body leaning backwards while placing my foot down on the ice in front of me, and my posture lurches forwards every single time.

I remember struggling with these for ages. I am desperately trying to think of what it was that made them click. I'm going to have a go at them at the rink tomorrow to see if I can remember how I got myself to do them. These are a weird move that everyone seems to struggle with. I've had to do them twice in tests now - for prelim field moves and level 3 dance moves. I recall 2 very strong skaters at our rink took a really long time to get them and it held them back from putting their test papers in for ages.

dbny
11-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Debbie - Klingbeil does have a fix for tongues that shift, but if you cut holes in the tongue, they can't do it.

Team Arthritis
11-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Debbie - Klingbeil does have a fix for tongues that shift, but if you cut holes in the tongue, they can't do it.
Yes, sorry I forgot to put that in!
Lyle

Mrs Redboots
11-01-2006, 10:18 AM
I remember struggling with these for ages. I am desperately trying to think of what it was that made them click. I'm going to have a go at them at the rink tomorrow to see if I can remember how I got myself to do them. These are a weird move that everyone seems to struggle with. I've had to do them twice in tests now - for prelim field moves and level 3 dance moves. I recall 2 very strong skaters at our rink took a really long time to get them and it held them back from putting their test papers in for ages.Thanks. Neither Husband, nor the other adult dancer who took level 3 dance moves, has ever done one since, and they can't remember how to do them!

Debbie S
11-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! That's a good idea about the digi photo. I'll call Klingbeil next week after HC. In the meantime, I think I will try the bunga pad (I saved them, in case my allergy got cured or something) and hope that I'll be OK. I did wear the sponge pads with my SP-Teris, after nothing else worked, but unfortunately, I used them all up by the time I got my Klingbeils (they tore easily) and threw them away.

Regarding the rubber/sponge vs. lambswool tongue issue....I chose lambswool b/c I thought it would end/remove the lace bite on the front of my ankles, which it pretty much has. Then, I was chatting with the younger Klingbeil (Don?) at Liberty this summer and he said that the rubber tongue is actually better for that...he was pointing to a tongue sample that had the spongy stuff on the outside (or was it lambswool?) and a darker, flatter rubber center. What have other Klingbeil wearers here found with tongue materials and lace bite?

Tessa
11-01-2006, 01:49 PM
+ goe forward perimeter power stroking went well, backwards are coming along, I'm getting the weight shift/swizzle thing better and both patterns are picking up speed.

+/- goe coach thinks I should set a goal for testing pre-juvie moves in February! Testing that soon means all lessons will have to be moves and hardly any fun freestyle.

- goe 3s -- I feel like no way will these ever be ready to test; however, last year at this time I swore I would not be able to pass prelim moves.

jenlyon60
11-01-2006, 01:52 PM
I've never had lace bite problems, but on both this pair and my previous pair of Klingbeils I had the grey sponge tongue with the other rubber thingy in the middle of the tongue. I guess it helps. Can't say as it's prevented lace bite but can't say it didn't (since I've never had lace bite).

Thanks for all the suggestions! That's a good idea about the digi photo. I'll call Klingbeil next week after HC. In the meantime, I think I will try the bunga pad (I saved them, in case my allergy got cured or something) and hope that I'll be OK. I did wear the sponge pads with my SP-Teris, after nothing else worked, but unfortunately, I used them all up by the time I got my Klingbeils (they tore easily) and threw them away.

Regarding the rubber/sponge vs. lambswool tongue issue....I chose lambswool b/c I thought it would end/remove the lace bite on the front of my ankles, which it pretty much has. Then, I was chatting with the younger Klingbeil (Don?) at Liberty this summer and he said that the rubber tongue is actually better for that...he was pointing to a tongue sample that had the spongy stuff on the outside (or was it lambswool?) and a darker, flatter rubber center. What have other Klingbeil wearers here found with tongue materials and lace bite?

Isk8NYC
11-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Regarding the rubber/sponge vs. lambswool tongue issue....I chose lambswool b/c I thought it would end/remove the lace bite on the front of my ankles, which it pretty much has. Then, I was chatting with the younger Klingbeil (Don?) at Liberty this summer and he said that the rubber tongue is actually better for that...he was pointing to a tongue sample that had the spongy stuff on the outside (or was it lambswool?) and a darker, flatter rubber center. What have other Klingbeil wearers here found with tongue materials and lace bite?My old Klingbeils didn't have rubber tongues initially and the edges wore down and became hard. When Don rebuilt them, he put in new tongues with an allover light grey rubber backing. No problems with them, no lace bite or rubbing.

My newer Klingbeils came with a black rubber pad centered on the leather tongue. The edges are thin leather. The tongue kept slipping and putting pressure on the nerve in the little channel next to my anklebone. Don added a hook that catches onto the skate itself near the laces and that solved the slippage problem. I've been tying my skates more tightly lately since I started working on jumps, and I've noticed a bit of rubbing at the front of my ankle after I skate.

Never tried lambswool, other than the little "heart breakers" that came with these skates. (Don included two 5" hearts made of lambwool for making the skates more comfortable during break-in.)

Try running a suede brush (pick it up where they sell shoe polishes in the supermarket) over the edges to shred some of the hard leather. You can cold-water wash the lambswool and fluff it up a bit, right?

doubletoe
11-01-2006, 02:08 PM

Any chance you could upload a video of your back crossovers to YouTube? It's hard to know what the problem is without seeing it. But it sounds like basic body position is probably an issue, so here are some tips that I found really helpful:
1. Make sure the skating knee is deeply bent so you feel tension focused in the top of your hamstring.
2. Keep your chest pushed out forward, but pull your shoulders back by squeezing your shoulder blades together. This will help you keep your weight in the middle of the blade instead of on the toepick or the heel (although you want it more toward the heel than the toepick on back crossovers).
3. Hold your arms and shoulders at a 180-degree angle, straight out to the sides, but pull the leading shoulder (the one that faces the inside of the circle) WAY back so that your torso is twisted 90 degrees against your hips and your chest faces the inside of the circle.
4. Now lean your torso a little OUTSIDE of the circle to counter-balance the inward lean you're getting from the hips down.

I hope some of this turns out to be helpful! :)

doubletoe
11-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Well, since it's always either the jumps or spins that seem to be "ON", I guess this week I'm glad my spins are worth more than my jumps, LOL!

+GOE
My spins (for a change!) Camel-sit-back scratch: Check! Flying camel-back sit or back upright: Check! Sit-scratch with arm variation: Check! I actually completed all three in my program today.

- GOE
My toe jumps! The flip and lutz have traditionally been my most solid jumps, but in my program run-through this morning, they were both wonky! My coach says I twisted my shoulders before leaving the ice instead of pulling straight back and up and then turning. How weird. This had better be a fluke and not a new habit!

BatikatII
11-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Any chance you could upload a video of your back crossovers to YouTube? It's hard to know what the problem is without seeing it. )

I think Mrs Redboots means back crosscuts - not sure if they have a different name in America but they are done in a straight line going backwards with each foot crossing in front of you and setting down on an outside edge while progressing backwards the length of the rink. I actually quite like them but can't think how to explain doing them except perhaps to say that while you are fairly upright, you are bringing your feet sort of under you to cross in front. Keeping your head up is vital to stop leaning forward (at Bracknell I can look at the third row of seats on the upper level:lol: ) Perhaps I should try the level 3 dance moves - what else is in them since I can do the crosscuts! It would have to be easier than the interbronze field moves.

as for lessons
-GOE the ice since it wasn't cut.

everything that was good yesterday wasn't today

+GOE Flip and loop still there just about. Did mostly field moves type things today though and I really love doing the alternating waltz 3 turns - especially now I have finally learnt to really bend my knees so i get good speed and flow.

-GOE back threes that I thought i'd cracked yesterday disappeared again today.

+GOE Group dance lesson only had 3 of us in it so it was a good one. Re-learnt the Swing dance (still solo since we've no men) and I actually feel I have progressed on this. Have arranged a private lesson with the dance coach as I think she is a really good coach.

doubletoe
11-01-2006, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=BatikatII]I think Mrs Redboots means back crosscuts - not sure if they have a different name in America but they are done in a straight line going backwards with each foot crossing in front of you and setting down on an outside edge while progressing backwards the length of the rink. I actually quite like them but can't think how to explain doing them except perhaps to say that while you are fairly upright, you are bringing your feet sort of under you to cross in front. Keeping your head up is vital to stop leaning forward (at Bracknell I can look at the third row of seats on the upper level:lol: ) Perhaps I should try the level 3 dance moves - what else is in them since I can do the crosscuts! It would have to be easier than the interbronze field moves.

DOH! :frus: The language monster strikes again! Sorry about that!
So are your "back cross cuts" the same as what we call "back cross strokes" on the Juvenile/Adult Silver test? (On these, you cross behind on each stroke and push off onto a BO edge.) Or are they the exact backward equivalent of our forward cross strokes, where you cross in front and push onto an outside edge with each stroke, but traveling backwards instead of forwards?

BatikatII
11-01-2006, 06:56 PM
DOH! :frus: The language monster strikes again! Sorry about that!
So are your "back cross cuts" the same as what we call "back cross strokes" on the Juvenile/Adult Silver test? (On these, you cross behind on each stroke and push off onto a BO edge.) Or are they the exact backward equivalent of our forward cross strokes, where you cross in front and push onto an outside edge with each stroke, but traveling backwards instead of forwards?

The back cross cuts would be the equivalent of the latter, while I imagine that your 'back cross strokes' would be the equivalent of our 'back cross rolls'! I get confused with the terminology myself and usually my coach has learnt not to tell me what he wants but to show me - it's much quicker than when he says for e.g. do some back cross rolls and I look blank and go 'der.....what?' until he shows me - but I think I am right on these ones!:lol:

mikawendy
11-01-2006, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=BatikatII]Or are they the exact backward equivalent of our forward cross strokes, where you cross in front and push onto an outside edge with each stroke, but traveling backwards instead of forwards?

Annabel--if this is what you meant, I had the darnedest time with these, too, for the longest time and was quite quite scratchy on them. It helped to practice them with a little more speed and also to feel a bit more of a back outside edge on each stroke. Not nearly as curvy as semicircle, but also don't think about these as being totally straight. I think it also helped me to extend the free leg after it had left the ice and before I set it down in front of me.

I have two of these in my freestyle program (from RFO rocker to two of these thingies to two FO alternating 3s) so I've had to work on them loads.

LilJen
11-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Had my music stopped in the middle of my first run-through by a teenager who wanted to play her dance music. Uh, hello? I skated over to the side and informed her of what she had done and she looked surprised. Did she think someone was playing "Rhapsody in Blue" for fun?
Hmm. . . Debbie, maybe she thought United Airlines was advertising??? (They have forever ruined Rhapsody in Blue for me. Sorry, Mr. Kulik. Sorry, Mr. Gershwin.)

+GOE
-Applause from coach for consecutive BI edges. She does not applaud often. Whee!! At least SOMETHING is going right!
-I may in fact be a clockwise spinner. In my lesson today we worked on spinning, and while CW wasn't easy by any means, it still felt a bit more natural than CCW. Thankfully, I'm not so far gone in my freestyle work (all the way up to the whopping waltz & half flip) that I'd be throwing jumps and spins away if I switched. So I'll play around with this for the next few weeks and see what fits best.

-GOE
Just inconsistent. . . with lots of stuff (BO edges especially). It just doesn't help that I can't make it to the rink very often--my schedule and the rink schedule just DO NOT mesh. Coach again emphasized that my skating woudl improve by leaps and bounds if I were at the rink more often--each time I go it's like relearning everything. . . And no other rinks in town! Only other option will be, in a few weeks, an outdoor rink, which will have more skating hours for me, but the ice is reportedly crummy a lot of the time. Still, I will probably go for it. Although, maybe I can convince the local roller rink to flood themselves, at least for the winter? : )
-I HATE WALTZ 8s!!! Somehow my transitions are just lousy so I come out with something looking more like a water balloon sitting on the ground, or something. I can do each element but going from one to the other is going poorly.

Rusty Blades
11-01-2006, 09:19 PM
-GOE I have been feeling extremely tired for the past week, very weak and light headed for tonight's session. RFI Mohawks and LFO 3 turns weren’t working AT ALL :roll:

+GOE Despite feeling crappy, it was a remarkably good session starting with some easy forward & backward stroking, inside and outside edges, back Mohawks, LFI Mohawks, and RFO 3 turns. Everything worked well for a change.

In lesson tonight we did back Mohawks on the circle, back edges, and RFO 3 turns (which were actually working sometimes).

I asked that my lesson be moved up from the end of the session so I would have time for endurance work at the end - that worked well. I finished off with some heavier forward stroking and faster backwards. Actually felt better at the end of the session than the beginning! 8-)

Skate@Delaware
11-01-2006, 09:42 PM
+GOE: Um, ok I'm getting 2 revs on my backspin. AND I didn't trip on my program footwork tonight!!! The back spiral in my program was solid and less curvey. Waltz jump landing was less curvey!

We go tomorrow to get our new boots, I will have to have my blades mounted, checked then taken off and put back onto my old skates so I can skate in my old boots on Saturday at HC...(which really sucks but I have no choice).

-GOE: Like Dianne, I'm tired and still dehydrated (as in down 3 pounds since Saturday and I should know better but I'm trying hard to rehydrate so I don't end up in the ER and miss the competition on Saturday-stupid medicine!!!!). My spins were WAY off (I did one that was 8 revs but it traveled about 12 feet 8O )...Hope they settle down by Saturday!!! Toe-loop is still bad (like, regressed to old ways bad)...

PS: tonight in lessons, my daughter did her first camel spin!!! She did 4 revolutions!!!! I am so proud of her! And, she taught herself to do a salchow in the other direction! 8O It was weird seeing her do it first "her" way, then "my" way (we jump and spin in different directions)!!!!

Debbie S
11-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Hmm. . . Debbie, maybe she thought United Airlines was advertising??? (They have forever ruined Rhapsody in Blue for me. Sorry, Mr. Kulik. Sorry, Mr. Gershwin.)LOL! Actually, most of the commercial's piece is not in my program (I think they used a few notes from the end, which I do have). But I originally had another cut in mind, one that used more pieces and in the end, got too complicated and sounded too mismatched, and that had the commercial bit in it. When I was sitting with the guy who did the cut and he asked me which piece came next, I read off the minute count and said "The United Airlines commercial music". :lol:

Another funny "Rhapsody" moment happened at the May Day Open this past May - Terri C and I were watching the Senior Ladies SP and one of the skaters came out in one of those U.S. Icewear color-mix/fade dresses in the blue-turquoise option and I mentioned to Terri that I had been considering getting one of those dresses in that color design for my program. Then, almost on cue, the girl's music started and...yep, you guessed it, "Rhapsody in Blue" - lol!

aussieskater
11-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Annabel--if this is what you meant, I had the darnedest time with these, too, for the longest time and was quite quite scratchy on them. It helped to practice them with a little more speed and also to feel a bit more of a back outside edge on each stroke. Not nearly as curvy as semicircle, but also don't think about these as being totally straight. I think it also helped me to extend the free leg after it had left the ice and before I set it down in front of me.

Okay, I see what you're getting at, but what I *cannot* figure out is where do I make the push to keep travelling backwards?? I find I can do 2 (or maybe 4 on a really good day) and stay off the toepicks, but after that I come to a virtual halt, and need to do an ordinary back stroke to get momentum to keep going...if only you could do them Russian-stroking style ... :P

kateskate
11-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Thanks. Neither Husband, nor the other adult dancer who took level 3 dance moves, has ever done one since, and they can't remember how to do them!

Ok not really sure if this will help. I was thinking head up and feet under and it helps to think about keeping with the free leg backwards after the cross in front - think of following your free leg after the cross in front. It helps me to think that the heel of my skate is the leading point and if that is pointing in the right direction, everything else should follow.

I don't really think too much about making them steep outside edges, instead I think more about keeping them travelling backwards and the edges come. Also, after the cross in front I think of facing outside the circle a little.

I really don't know if any of that makes sense or helps (or is even technically correct!) Its been a while since I've done them!

kateskate
11-02-2006, 07:52 AM
+GOE
Did a decent run through of my free skating programme from almost cold. Good competition practise. Didn't do a great axel in it but as my teacher said, it was there and on one foot. I also managed to clear the ice whilst skating - everyone else stopped and stood at the side and watched. :)

Field moves were much much better. Forward double 3s felt in control. And my nemisis the back inside double 3s were better - not good but better.

Shock horror the double mohawks were ok too. Teacher said they would have passed. 8O 8O

Did one sequence of the 14 step with the correct body alignment and hold. A definite improvement on yesterday's falling in a puddle after tripping myself up!

Did some more FO3 change of edge BO twizzle 1 1/2. Fun but hard. Getting a little better.

-GOE
I need to get more backward outside edge on the back outside double threes. And my free foot is a little wild and inconsistent on end position of the right back inside double threes. But at least that is a different correction from previous weeks when it was the turn itself that was horrendous.

I did not so good choctaws today. And they are supposed to be my thing!

Brackets were not snappy enough.

I have less than a month till the test - lots of work needed.

Not sure if we will reach a consensus on tango music. Dance coach and I seem to be on different ends of the music spectrum. That must be why it takes us so long to decide on something.

My arm is feeling a bit wrenched after yesterday's fall. I should be grateful that my teacher held me up and stopped me from landing with a thud right on my knees but my arm is suffering today.

kateskate
11-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Perhaps I should try the level 3 dance moves - what else is in them since I can do the crosscuts! It would have to be easier than the interbronze field moves.

The other level 3 dance moves exercise is backward crossrolls.

Level 4 is foward outside 3s with, I think, one back crossover (so not quite the same as the interbronze continuous outside 3s) and foxtrot mohawks with one backcrossover. Level 5 is forward inside 3s with a run in between (just like interbronze) and inside open mohawks if I recall correctly.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

I think the dance moves are a lot easier that the field moves. One kid at our rink was doing level 6 to level 8 stuff and some of the exercises are in interbronze and bronze free skating field moves.

And the new field moves are really tough.

Isk8NYC
11-02-2006, 09:31 AM
-GOE
The hard ice at the rink was in much worse shape after I got done ripping it apart. I kept tripping during spins on my own tracks! LOL

Spins were iffy; did a few good sit and back spins. Another six tries yielded 1 or 2 decent camel spins. Tried a change-foot camel, but it was pathetic. (I get points for trying.

As always, my MITF were mediocre or even bad. I audited a MITF group workshop where they were doing the threes on the line, my absolute worst exercise. The coach instructed the students to keep looking at the hockey line on the wall. I can't do that and actually turn, much to Renatele's frustration.

+GOE
Jumps were good, although I didn't chance any full revolutions. My knee has been feeling great, and my heels weren't too bad. Guess the exercise-and-skating is paying off. (Along with the temporary orthotics I wear every day.)

Mrs Redboots
11-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Annabel--if this is what you meant, I had the darnedest time with these, too, for the longest time and was quite quite scratchy on them. It helped to practice them with a little more speed and also to feel a bit more of a back outside edge on each stroke. Not nearly as curvy as semicircle, but also don't think about these as being totally straight. I think it also helped me to extend the free leg after it had left the ice and before I set it down in front of me.The trouble is, I can't get on a back outside edge - if I could, I wouldn't be having a problem with them! I can do two or three, especially if I do them quickly, and have put them in my last several programmes, but what I can't do is a lap of the damn things and keep them going! The crossovers round the end don't help, either, as one's posture has to be totally different.

BatikatII - the other move is the back cross-rolls, which I am beginning to have less trouble with.

ETA: Thanks, Kate - I think maybe thinking of feet under might help. I find it all too easy to lurch forwards and gradually lose speed and get more and more toey until I grind to a halt - and when my posture's gone, I don't have a hope of saving it!

doubletoe
11-02-2006, 11:53 AM
The trouble is, I can't get on a back outside edge - if I could, I wouldn't be having a problem with them! I can do two or three, especially if I do them quickly, and have put them in my last several programmes, but what I can't do is a lap of the damn things and keep them going!

Okay, now that I know what these ARE (LOL!), I did some this morning to see if I could figure out how to explain the mechanics. As with the forward cross rolls, I find myself really skating with my *hips* on these. To get onto that back outside edge, I found that, after crossing over with my right foot, I would then drop my right hip and that's what put me onto that right back outside edge. Then I would push with that outside edge, then pull myself back and up with the outside of my right heel. Then I'd do the same with the left: Cross the left over right, drop the left hip to get onto the LBO edge, then push against the edge, and pull back and up with the outside of the left heel. I think dropping the hip after the cross-over might be the key.

Team Arthritis
11-02-2006, 04:01 PM
To get onto that back outside edge, I found that, after crossing over with my right foot, I would then drop my right hip and that's what put me onto that right back outside edge.
THanks I'll try this tomorrow
Lyle (always hopeful that my body will eventually catch on)

BatikatII
11-02-2006, 06:16 PM
The other level 3 dance moves exercise is backward crossrolls.

Level 4 is foward outside 3s with, I think, one back crossover (so not quite the same as the interbronze continuous outside 3s) and foxtrot mohawks with one backcrossover. Level 5 is forward inside 3s with a run in between (just like interbronze) and inside open mohawks if I recall correctly.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

I think the dance moves are a lot easier that the field moves. One kid at our rink was doing level 6 to level 8 stuff and some of the exercises are in interbronze and bronze free skating field moves.

And the new field moves are really tough.

You mean the level 3 dance moves is just back crosscuts and back crossrolls 8O - sheesh! - you're not kidding they are easier than the field moves. Back crosscuts are on level 2 field moves but level 3 dance moves.

On the other hand of course back crossrolls are level 4 in Field moves (but only since there is (at present) no level 3 FM's I guess)

The level 4 DM with the forward outside 3's and a crossover is one of my favourite moves. I reckon I could do up to level 5 Dance moves since I've been practising the interbronze field moves - it might be a good idea, since the back outside 3's on a circle with mohawks seems to be defeating me. Any tips gratefully recieved!). Plus of course there are only 2 dance moves per level but 6 field moves per level (says she who is doing Interbronze FM's but never had to do prelim (with the back crosscuts!) because I have level 2 Dance moves!:lol: 8O :??

Anyway I tried back crosscuts again to see if I could think of anything to help Mrs R but all I could come up with was that it helps to go into them with a fair bit of speed:D - I also noticed that I tend to lift off the back foot and bring it round in a sort of mini-ronde and it is the almost circular motion that seems to help set it on the right edge for me. There's quite a bit of weight shifting too so that the weight transfers smoothly to the new skating foot.

Actually I wonder if my 'favourite move' is the same as the level 4 DM because the one I like is an outside 3 to backwards then crossover and step to forward and another outside 3 on same foot. Is the level 4 DM alternating 3 turns?

Skate@Delaware
11-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Thursday is my usual skating day, but that didn't happen because we took the long drive to get our skates!!!! So (this should go under the thread "cost of skating") add up the mileage/gas to go over and back, tolls, meals, and the cost of 3 pairs of skates (2 were split sizes) 2 sets of blades, sharpenings, sealing, etc....I don't even want to think of it!

So, hubby and daughter get theirs molded and then the blades put on, Mike says the scheduled was changed and there will be a hockey game starting soon!!! Man! What about me??? Mine were in the oven, they finally finish, then mold, then he takes my blades off my current skates, puts them on my new ones and asks if anyone at my rink can adjust them 8O (um, not really). Just when he was going to put them back onto my old skates, he gets word that we can pop onto the ice for a quick alignment check!!! Yes!!!! Which is good, as one needed tweaking.

So, after a long day, but a very short, efficient visit with Mike, we are all set! I start skating in them on Sunday (after HC). He drilled extra holes in my new boots, so I can pop the blades back on after HC and they will go no problem.
I'm so excited! they look so much smaller!!! (see this picture my new boot is on the right) http://tkahline.sk8rland.com/pictures/index.php?a=preview&i=skates.jpg

So, once they start to break in, I'm hoping that I can finally eake out more than 2 revs on my back spin....and my coach wants to re-visit the sit spin (oh my!)!!!!8O

dbny
11-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Okay, I see what you're getting at, but what I *cannot* figure out is where do I make the push to keep travelling backwards?? I find I can do 2 (or maybe 4 on a really good day) and stay off the toepicks, but after that I come to a virtual halt, and need to do an ordinary back stroke to get momentum to keep going...if only you could do them Russian-stroking style ... :P

The push is from the BO edge of the skate that was crossed over. You have to turn the outside of your ankle to face the ice to get that push. It's the same as the under push in BXO's.

-GOE:
Planned to skate Tues afternoon, but woke up feeling miserable all over, convinced I was coming down with the flu. Felt better Wed, but did not have the time to skate. Finally got to skate today, but had to patch up R foot in three places from going barefoot on Mon. CCW FXO's felt worse than usual. I haven't been able to work any power pulls for almost three weeks because knees and hips have been acting up too much. Didn't work nearly as hard as I should have in light of the fact that I have a lesson tomorrow :roll:.

+GOE:
FO and FI three turns are coming along. Not as fast as I would like, but considering that state they had been in, there is definite progress. When I do the LFO threes, they are actually fairly well checked. FI threes are much better checked than FO's, but I'm still a bit scared of them. Forced myself to do "demo" style XO's to work on strong upper body position, and I did feel the difference.

Casey
11-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Meh. Meh meh meh.

I've forgotten how to skate....
I've gotten new blisters underneath the ones I got a few days ago from working on my feet all day after skating...
I put a big gash in my boot today...
Being self-conscious about my skates didn't help. Why do I make my skates stand out when I hate the attention?
Everything was so awful today...I found myself leaning forward constantly, and *unable to fix it*.
Sloppy sloppy sloppy sloppy ugh.
How come I have no energy?
I've forgotten how to skate...

*packs bandaids for tomorrow, hoping it will bring better skating*

kateskate
11-03-2006, 05:12 AM
You mean the level 3 dance moves is just back crosscuts and back crossrolls 8O - sheesh! - you're not kidding they are easier than the field moves. Back crosscuts are on level 2 field moves but level 3 dance moves.

On the other hand of course back crossrolls are level 4 in Field moves (but only since there is (at present) no level 3 FM's I guess)

Actually I wonder if my 'favourite move' is the same as the level 4 DM because the one I like is an outside 3 to backwards then crossover and step to forward and another outside 3 on same foot. Is the level 4 DM alternating 3 turns?

Yep just back crossrolls and crosscuts for level 3. Take it quick before the tests change!!!!!!

I'm going for bronze field moves to give me level 6 in the new tests, before the tests change. I could do the dance moves instead to get me to the same equivalency in the new tests but as I only have level 3 I would have to do 4, 5 and 6 to get to the same level which would end up being 6 exercises anyways, so the same number as in the bronze test (although the dance moves ones would be easier!).

Level 4 DM are left forward outside three turn, back crossover left over right, step forwards right forward outside three turn, back crossover right over left, step forwards. So its not the same as the interbronze alternating threes. Its three turns on alternating feet but with a crossover so you don't step from the back inside after the three onto the forward outside of the next three, instead the back inside goes into a back crossover and then the step forwards is after that. If that makes sense. I think exercise you are talking about is one I like too when you do a sort of change of weight after the left 3turn then crossover right over left and step forwards onto left outside 3.

LilJen
11-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Casey, hope the bandaids help!

+GOE
-Actually made it to the early bird session this morning. Nice to skate on clean ice.
-pre-bronze 3-turn pattern is, in fact, coming along. Now if I could only get an axis line free down the length of the ice--'cause that's how it needs to be done on the test--rather than the width, I might be able to see if I can do more than 2 patterns in a row.
-Discovered that BO edges are easier when I don't try to trace such huge half circles. Ah.
-Got my free dance lesson! We went over 2 of the prelim dances (Canasta Tango & Dutch Waltz). It's so nice to have something that is comparatively simple that I can use to work on posture, refinement, neat feet, etc.

-GOE
-Skated pretty crappy this morning! Several falls, right on the tush, I think because of lack of sleep and just inattention. Plus I never do as well when I know I have to zip out of the rink in just 45 minutes (which is the case when I go to the early sessions--I cruise back home to get dd to school). While I did get some decent practicing done, it really was a major butt-splatting session. Ouch!
-Waltz 8 is still a waltz blob. I should give up on it for now.

Team Arthritis
11-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Meh. Meh meh meh.

:twisted: Misery loves company:twisted:
:halo: stick at it, it'll come back:halo:
Lyle

Skate@Delaware
11-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Meh. Meh meh meh.

I've gotten new blisters underneath the ones I got a few days ago from working on my feet all day after skating...
I put a big gash in my boot today...
Being self-conscious about my skates didn't help. Why do I make my skates stand out when I hate the attention?
Everything was so awful today...I found myself leaning forward constantly, and *unable to fix it*.
Sloppy sloppy sloppy sloppy ugh.
How come I have no energy?
I've forgotten how to skate...

*packs bandaids for tomorrow, hoping it will bring better skating*

Casey:
1-everyone is entitled to a bad day...you are due for yours so take it
2-try the blister bandaids, they work wonders
3-maybe you are overskating? Your body might be saying "hey, I need a bit of rest!!!" (yes, even though you are young, this still can happen) or your eating maybe poorly
4-Posture is EVERYTHING!!!! Being tired makes you slouch, when you slouch you lean forward and everything goes into the toilet....
5-(last one) you got your nice skates, don't worry what others say about them...you deserve them! My husband, who does NOT have even a waltz jump, has just purchased the Jackson Pro-Flex skates....so honey, don't worry about what others think!!!!

Emberchyld
11-03-2006, 11:23 AM
+GOE

Spent a good portion of my time in my lesson on my butt-- but this was a good thing-- it meant that, for once, I actually was getting the BOEs and BIEs! Every time that I felt myself actually and properly on the edge, I'd get excited, then get scared, then promptly sit down! I spent half of the lesson laughing at myself. 3-turns are actually getting better (I had to laugh at that, too, because I was showing one of my classmates the before and after of my three-turns, where the before was my hip going UP "I'm gonna do a 3-turn, I'm gonna do a 3-turn-- UHMPH-- yes, I turned!" to a nice, smoothish turn...)

-GOE

Sorta-skating related. SKATING IS KILLING MY SPOTTING! :cry: I've gotten so confused now, with not being allowed to spot in spins (and the head is positioned differently depending on who is correcting me at the moment), that in last night's ballet class it was like I've never spotted before in my life. It's driving my teachers and I crazy (especially since I almost smashed into one of the other girls while doing envouotte (sp?) turns!).

And two fotted spins-- I get a few revolutions, but I'm basically only on one leg-- the other one never straightens enough and just feels like it drags along. I could practically lift it off of the ice and probably wouldn't notice the difference. I've been having a lot of problems in general with strength and fully pulling up in that leg in general (due to an injury that had me off of my leg for 3 1/2 months last year, basically screwing up all of my muscle strength), but the actual not straightening seems fairly recent.

Any suggestions for working 2 footed spins where I can ensure that I'm spinning evenly? Or does your weight never actually get balanced between the two legs?

Skate@Delaware
11-03-2006, 11:49 AM
And two fotted spins-- I get a few revolutions, but I'm basically only on one leg-- the other one never straightens enough and just feels like it drags along. I could practically lift it off of the ice and probably wouldn't notice the difference. I've been having a lot of problems in general with strength and fully pulling up in that leg in general (due to an injury that had me off of my leg for 3 1/2 months last year, basically screwing up all of my muscle strength), but the actual not straightening seems fairly recent.

Any suggestions for working 2 footed spins where I can ensure that I'm spinning evenly? Or does your weight never actually get balanced between the two legs?
I don't know about everyone else...when I do a 2-footed spin, my weight is on the ball of my main spinning foot and the heel of the other foot but still balanced between the two legs (this made it easier for me to transition to one-foot spins.) It's been the way I've always done it. I also squeeze my thighs together and keep tension that way-keeps me more centered. Make sure your feet are not too close together or too far apart when you do a 2-foot spin...it's hard to find a happy medium, but when you do you will know it.

TimDavidSkate
11-03-2006, 11:53 AM
- GOE
Practice tonight was tough... We skated at Aviator sports in Brooklyn for the first time. As soon as I got on I noticed that the ice was extra hard. Then after more stroking around I began to feel pain on my right ankle. (Adding more mess - recovering from my cold) I ignored it and went to play my music and map out my jumps and spins. It was the first time I got to put it on loud speakers. It felt good doing it without the damn Ipod. So I then tried to see if I can do my second run-through with the jumps. My ankle and my body would not let me. I had at least 6 dry runs without jumps and spins. Im a little worried but hopefully tonight will be better.

Mrs Redboots
11-03-2006, 12:03 PM
To get onto that back outside edge, I found that, after crossing over with my right foot, I would then drop my right hip and that's what put me onto that right back outside edge. Then I would push with that outside edge, then pull myself back and up with the outside of my right heel. Then I'd do the same with the left: Cross the left over right, drop the left hip to get onto the LBO edge, then push against the edge, and pull back and up with the outside of the left heel. I think dropping the hip after the cross-over might be the key.I might try that. Coach wants me to raise the opposite hip, and my body gets terribly confused about which knee should be bent and which hip down or up!

You mean the level 3 dance moves is just back crosscuts and back crossrolls 8O - sheesh! - you're not kidding they are easier than the field moves. Back crosscuts are on level 2 field moves but level 3 dance moves.That's why they are changing the system - and why I need to pass this wretched test before they do!

However, we didn't skate today. Husband groaned when the alarm-clock went off, and I said "We don't have to skate!" and he said "Oh good!" and we both went back to sleep again. Think I'm fighting off a virus, but feeling a bit better this evening, so hopefully we'll skate tomorrow morning instead.

doubletoe
11-03-2006, 01:42 PM
I might try that. Coach wants me to raise the opposite hip, and my body gets terribly confused about which knee should be bent and which hip down or up!

That's why they are changing the system - and why I need to pass this wretched test before they do!

However, we didn't skate today. Husband groaned when the alarm-clock went off, and I said "We don't have to skate!" and he said "Oh good!" and we both went back to sleep again. Think I'm fighting off a virus, but feeling a bit better this evening, so hopefully we'll skate tomorrow morning instead.

Oh, good! I mentioned lowering the hip of the crossing over leg and your coach says to raise the opposite hip, but it is exactly the same thing: The point is for the crossing over side hip to get lower than the opposite hip so that you get the lean needed to put you on an outside edge. :)

aussieskater
11-03-2006, 03:49 PM
The push is from the BO edge of the skate that was crossed over. You have to turn the outside of your ankle to face the ice to get that push. It's the same as the under push in BXO's.

Thanks dbny! That makes a lot of sense - on the carpet at least! I'll try it next time I'm on the ice.

dbny
11-03-2006, 07:27 PM
+GOE:
I went into today's lesson feeling woefully unprepared, but coach said there was perceptible improvement on everything :). We started with pushing off from a T position, which is one of the things I asked to work on in first lesson, knowing that there should be zero lurch. I had done my homework (literally, hold position in front of mirror), and even though I didn't feel much better with L foot in front, coach did see some improvement, and I felt it on push off. My big surprise came, though when I did F perimeter stroking with XO's on ends. CCW (progressive)XO's were smooth as a knife through butter, and coach was quick to complement them! FI threes were improved and I wasn't so scared of them. FO threes are better too, and coach discovered why I always felt off balance after stepping to FO edge for next turn. I'm going to have to work hard on this one, because it is counter to my roller dance training, but it's good to know that I'm not just a hopeless klutz! I've known for a long time that hips/shoulders were wrong, but could not figure out why. We also worked on BI edges down the continuous axis, focussing on shift of weight and smooth transition.

-GOE:
No lesson next week, as local schools are out on Friday and I don't want to skate on a crowded session.

skating_babe11
11-03-2006, 08:08 PM
+GOE I was on the ice last night which was a nice change! Guttys me tried an axel within 5 minutes of being back on the ice after a month break and landed it! My coach gave me crap though because she didnt want me doing freeskate because of my ankle.

-GOE I might have to be off the ice from another week because i think i tweek my ankle a little bit again and it still hurts. I think i should let it recover totally. But thats hard for me because im stubborn:??

Sk8pdx
11-03-2006, 10:37 PM
GOE: Like Dianne, I'm tired and still dehydrated (as in down 3 pounds since Saturday and I should know better but I'm trying hard to rehydrate so I don't end up in the ER and miss the competition on Saturday-stupid medicine!!!!). My spins were WAY off (I did one that was 8 revs but it traveled about 12 feet )...Hope they settle down by Saturday!!! Toe-loop is still bad (like, regressed to old ways bad)...

...Sounds like a little pre-competition jitters going on too. I'm rooting for you S@D!!

-GOE I have been feeling extremely tired for the past week, very weak and light headed for tonight's session.
When I feel this way I know I am not drinking enough water. Glad to hear you were feeling better at the end of the session. Drink more H2O!:) ...and a llittle dark chocolate will help the lethargy too -- just fo fun:P

- GOE:
Loop jump. From a RFI3 it is over rotated, landing is still 2 footed and cheated. Coach says my left free foot is trying to do the jump not the right back outsitde edge:cry: It is still unsatifying as I want a loop from a mohawk entry instead. I dream of big beautiful loops with big ripping sounds going into them. *sigh*. My timing is all wrong. I know when it happens some day, I will be wondering why I was fretting so much over a stupid little jump. :P

+ GOE:
Bronze Moves today went well. I even played a little with silver moves elements namely forward and backward power pulls. Tracings in the ice show that my edges are getting deeper. Now If I weren't such a 'fraidy cat when it comes to BI3s. :roll:

renatele
11-03-2006, 11:16 PM
-GOE
The hard ice at the rink was in much worse shape after I got done ripping it apart. I kept tripping during spins on my own tracks! LOL

Yep... Although I doubt the damage we did there even remotely approached the damage done to the ice by kids/teens on the sides of the rink.

Tried a change-foot camel, but it was pathetic. (I get points for trying.

Not pathetic! I saw quite strong foundation there.

As always, my MITF were mediocre or even bad. I audited a MITF group workshop where they were doing the threes on the line, my absolute worst exercise. The coach instructed the students to keep looking at the hockey line on the wall. I can't do that and actually turn, much to Renatele's frustration.

Naaah... not frustration... just that you are too good a skater not to be able to do it, but it might take some time to get used to the idea of doing it other way than you are used to.

As for my own skating in the last few days...

-GOE:
on Wednesday - ICE!
Thursday: flew off the tail of the blade on FI double-3s, on a BO-3. Haven't done that in awhile. In general, my double-3s have deteriorated in the last couple months that I'm coachless... Hope this situation will change soon.

+GOE:
On Wednesday, was trying to get sympathy from Isk8NYC on my traveling forward spins, and she got me to do one on the blue line, which I centered perfectly (was too surprised to even continue spinning). Had a tad more success than usual in centering spins on Thursday - hope the trend continues. Maybe I'll finally be able to improve my scratch spin!

Mrs Redboots
11-04-2006, 05:59 AM
The push is from the BO edge of the skate that was crossed over. You have to turn the outside of your ankle to face the ice to get that push. It's the same as the under push in BXO's.Which is probably another reason why I can't do it, as I don't get enough rock on the BXOs yet. Coach says the one will help the other, but I'm finding switching between the two (as you have to, since the move requires BXOs round the end and then the cross-cuts, cross-strokes or whatever you call them down the long axis) very hard, as my posture is too far forwards in the XOs. Sigh....

And we didn't skate this morning. I thought we might, so set my alarm, but Husband showed no signs of wanting to rouse so I went back to sleep again.

slusher
11-04-2006, 08:53 AM
+GOE:
Watched skating on TV and was able to name every single edge, move, element. Heh, can tell that rocker from a counter. Yes, thousands of dollars in skating lessons with the result that I sound like Dick Button and got told to shut up!

-GOE:
notice the lack of skating report? The rink has zamboni problem and sessions got cancelled. I also have work related road trip so am off the ice for a while. I wanted to get in some extra skating before being off but it didn't work out. :frus:

dbny
11-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Yes, thousands of dollars in skating lessons with the result that I sound like Dick Button and got told to shut up!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Skate@Delaware
11-04-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm just messing around, waiting to drive up to Aston for the HC....and I got to thinking when I could squeeze in my pre-bronze tests. I don't want to test too early as it might mess up my classification for my ISI comps (I think I'm Artistic 2 now). The slew of comps ends with Skate Annapolis, which is usually the first weekend in March. So, I am going to shoot for April. I think I will run it by my coach tomorrow and see what she says. I am thinking about testing at Skate Club of Wilmington (DE). Then the following month I can test my dances. maybe.

Rusty Blades
11-04-2006, 04:24 PM
-GOE Knowing that LFO3 turns were on today’s lesson, I started them after warmup and realized it is probably my left side weakness that stops me from rotating my LFO3's so I decided to work the he!! out of the left side today - which I did - 75% of everything on the left side for 1:30 - F/B stroking, F/B I/O edges, F/B left foot glides with only a sprinkle of RFO Mohawks and RFO3's.

+GOE When it got to lesson, we did back Mohawks, RFO3's and, at the end, I actually hit a couple of LFO3 turns! WAHOO! (Small things amuse small minds - LOL!)

Skate@Delaware
11-04-2006, 08:52 PM
+GOE When it got to lesson, we did back Mohawks, RFO3's and, at the end, I actually hit a couple of LFO3 turns! WAHOO! (Small things amuse small minds - LOL!)
Way to Go, Girl!!!!!!

Skated at HC today....it was full of plusses and minuses so I will just lump everything together. They were ahead of schedule and dummy me didn't really allow a long enough off-ice warm-up. I should have walked around a bit more, but by the time I got my skates on, they were ready to zam the ice. My right hamstring was sore and tight, probably from the ride up (1.5 hours) and sitting. On-ice warmup was good, then I was up first. Oh yeah, it was olympic size ice and that threw me a bit off. My skate went ok for the first half of my routine (except my mohawk at the beginning decided to be absent), at the stupid drunken sailor part it tanked....forgot my toe-loop and arabesque spiral. I did save my 2-foot spin and the ending (although not the new one). I think I remembered to bow to the judges....my mind was sort of blank at that point. I'm glad I didn't fall and my knee wasn't bothering me. I placed first, but I'm wondering if I should have skated up to pre-bronze. Something to think about for the next USFSA competition.

The manuever team was much more fun!!!!! I actually like to spiral on olympic ice...tons of room and no one to run into today! Everyone did well, even hubby made a great attempt and managed to save his one-foot spin. We had a great group and everyone did great! It was nice to finally put faces to (screen) names and what a great bunch of women! Mikawendy, Joan, Raye, my hubby Phil and I were "Phil's Ghouls" and we placed third in the pre-bronze/bronze manuever event.

Phil (hubby) has the competition bug now and is planning on skating at the Pond's comp in February. Isn't that something?

ps-jasmine says "hi" to everyone; and I met phillyskater; saw photos of Oleg's new baby (he coaches at sk8pics rink) she is a cutie pie!!! and I did order a dvd of my skating and the manuever team...as if telling my coach isn't enough, I have to show her how my footwork tanked (stupid drunken sailors!!!!!)

jazzpants
11-05-2006, 02:00 AM
I placed first, but I'm wondering if I should have skated up to pre-bronze. Something to think about for the next USFSA competition.

Mikawendy, Joan, Raye, my hubby Phil and I were "Phil's Ghouls" and we placed third in the pre-bronze/bronze manuever event.
S@Del, WHOO HOO!!! GOOOOOOLD!!! :D :bow:

And congrats to "Phil's Ghouls!!!" :D

Can't wait to hear about the rest of 'ya over there at HC!!! (And yes, I want gossips too... but PM me on the gossips please!!!) ;) :P

(ETA disclaimer: The "gossip" comment was made with tougue FIRMLY in cheek...)

Skate@Delaware
11-05-2006, 06:22 AM
Thanks, jazz!

I don't have any gossips, though. Spent most of my free time with hubby, keeping him calm. It was his first competition and, although he was nervous, he did well! We came home and he picked out music for the next competition (to be held at The Pond in February). I didn't even make it to the pro-shop to see if they had anything interesting!!! (I was going to look at tights) oh well.

I was just sad that sk8pics (Pat) wasn't going to skate this weekend.

I do wish everyone else who skates today: GOOD SKATING!!!!

and I'm fighting a cold now (tea, more liquids, Zicam, and vitamins!!!!) but that's ok, last year at this time I had full-blown pneumonia so I can handle a cold.

Thanks to Raye for hooking me on maple taffy! (she brought some for the skater's to enjoy) I love maple and that was a special treat!

Mrs Redboots
11-05-2006, 08:44 AM
I placed first, but I'm wondering if I should have skated up to pre-bronze. Something to think about for the next USFSA competition.Congratulations to you, and to all of Phil's Ghouls!

+ GOE: Thank you to those who gave me hints and tips for the back cross-strokes. One way and another - and especially by thinking of the ankle movement that is needed for back crossovers - they were way improved this morning! Whether they'll pass muster with the coach is another matter, but they felt a great deal better.

- GOE: Did an appalling Willow Waltz and an even worse British one with the Husband! And a Canasta that would have been a lot better if we had remembered the steps....

sk8pics
11-05-2006, 09:39 AM
I was just sad that sk8pics (Pat) wasn't going to skate this weekend.

Thanks, me too. :cry: :cry:

And congratulations on your placements and skating. Those medals are cool; I always wanted one.

Emberchyld
11-05-2006, 09:57 AM
I don't know about everyone else...when I do a 2-footed spin, my weight is on the ball of my main spinning foot and the heel of the other foot but still balanced between the two legs (this made it easier for me to transition to one-foot spins.) It's been the way I've always done it. I also squeeze my thighs together and keep tension that way-keeps me more centered. Make sure your feet are not too close together or too far apart when you do a 2-foot spin...it's hard to find a happy medium, but when you do you will know it.

Thanks, Skate@Delaware! I tried this yesterday (albeit on bad ice in a crowded public session where some kids were gunning for anyone who wasn't just going in circles around the perimeter), and got a few decent revolutions. I wasn't fully balanced yet, but squeezing the thighs definitely did help.

I can't wait to try this in my (first!!!!!!) private on Wednesday!

Isk8NYC
11-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Congratulations to S@D and Phil's Ghouls! (Great team name, btw.)
Sorry you couldn't be there, sk8pics. :cry:

Skated a tiny bit yesterday while I was waiting for students.

+GOE
Edges are dead on, and my turns are so much better since I practiced them on Wednesday with Renatele.

Nailed a flip, for some strange reason. I was just demonstrating the takeoff and wasn't planning to jump. I'll keep it, thank you! (My student needs another inch of rotation and she'll have hers, too!)

-GOE
This cold is a real downer. I have to clear my head before I spin ... 'nuff said.
Haven't heard back from the coach I called for lessons. Have to come up with a Plan D.

mikawendy
11-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Congratulations to S@D and Phil's Ghouls! (Great team name, btw.)
Sorry you couldn't be there, sk8pics. :cry:

Thanks, Isk8NYC! The team event was definitely a LOT of fun, and it was nice to meet Joan and Raye in person. I'm proud of our team sign, which features drawings of oozing blood, pustules, pox, and bats! Phil's electric blue wig was great (think Cookie Monster but a shade brighter). :O)

All weekend long, I was having trouble saying our team name without stumbling--it's nearly a tongue twister--and I noticed the announcer paused and spoke the name a little slowly, too.

And Pat, if you're reading this, yes, we missed seeing you at HC this weekend. I hope your healing goes well.

ps-jasmine says "hi" to everyone
Yes, it was nice to meet Yazmeen (a former skatingforums poster). I'd never met her in person and had been wondering how she was doing.

sk8pics
11-06-2006, 08:36 AM
And Pat, if you're reading this, yes, we missed seeing you at HC this weekend. I hope your healing goes well.

Thanks, Mika. I missed seeing me there, too.

I will volunteer to help out at the Pond's competition in Febraury, since I should be walking by then although not skating.