View Full Version : Enlarged eyelet

black
10-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Just checking my boots and noticed that the lace on one of them has started to creep into the leather. I'm going to call the guy I got the skates from next week, but was wondering what fixes are available; I presume some kind of metal reinforcement?

Note to all: Check your skates!

Casey
10-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Are you sure they're leather? I've only seen that happen on low-end vinyl skates...

black
10-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Yup, they're leather; its probably because I prefer tight laces.

dbny
10-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Yup, they're leather; its probably because I prefer tight laces.

I've seen lace holes on Grafs get cut completely through by nylon laces. After you get it repaired, try the cotton/nylon blend.

PreciseIce
10-28-2006, 07:13 PM
My skaters has problem with mainly graf skates ... It seems that the hook has a habit of "running away".

But also notice that happens to the chrome ones more.
The gold ones seems to be more secured.

Mrs Redboots
10-29-2006, 04:22 AM
Are you sure they're leather? I've only seen that happen on low-end vinyl skates...Husband, who has perfectly proper leather skates (Gams), is finding that one of his lace holes is about to give way - he's already lost a hook somewhere. Probably nearly time he had new skates - mine are 18 months old, and he was told when I got mine that his were probably good for another year!

black
11-04-2006, 04:43 AM
Mrs Redboots: Mine are Gams too.

Went to see Les this week and got some metal eyelets put in.
Much relief since somebody told me that I was probably going to have to get new boots!!

Mrs Redboots
11-04-2006, 06:00 AM
Mrs Redboots: Mine are Gams too.

Went to see Les this week and got some metal eyelets put in.
Much relief since somebody told me that I was probably going to have to get new boots!!Ah, thanks - we might take his skates to Les, and see if he can do the same for them. Although he might say those skates have had enough now....

Where do you skate, by the way?

black
11-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Milton Keynes, at the moment.

On Wednesday the plans were approved for the rink to be refurbished -> http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=415&ArticleID=1856532 which is good since it could of closed for good, however it means that after the hockey season finishes next year they'll probably be knocking the place down... :(

Mrs Redboots
11-05-2006, 08:48 AM
That is a pain, and there aren't any alternative rinks very near you; Peterborough would be the nearest, I think. I think 2loop2loop also trains at Milton Keynes, so perhaps he will have some ideas when he comes back from the Hallowe'en Classic.

Glad to hear it won't be closing for good, though. I've only been there once, when the British Championships was held there, four or five years ago, and thought it was a lovely place. Never skated there, though.

Magz
11-05-2006, 01:57 PM
This happened to me once with a pair of Jackson's. I never thought it would actually rip all the way through...and then it did one day haha. I just took it to the hockey skate guy at our rink and he put a metal eyelet over where it'd ripped and it held together pretty well! Doing that would definately be a good idea and since you noticed early, it'll probably be lots easier to do!

Alisontheice
11-05-2006, 10:18 PM
This always happens with my skates. I've always worn Wifa skates and like them really tight especially just before I do up the hooks. I went to a cobbler who was recommended by my skate sharpener. He put on this nylon meshing that will not break any time soon. Granted the meshing is black but that's okay because my skates are grey suede anyways. I'm sure they could do white for white skates, etc.

Mine had broken completely through and as I said this often happens to me, also happened a lot to my brother, and we have always worn top of the line Wifa skates. It's just usual wear and tear! (no pun intended) :)