View Full Version : Kind of screws for skates

Casey
10-28-2006, 01:55 AM
I was wondering, what kind of screws would one purchase for mounting ice skate blades into a leather sole? Are they wood screws? Is there a measurement for the head size so the recess fits properly?

Skate@Delaware
10-28-2006, 06:12 AM
I was wondering, what kind of screws would one purchase for mounting ice skate blades into a leather sole? Are they wood screws? Is there a measurement for the head size so the recess fits properly?
Casey, you could take the screws that came with your blades to the hardware store and ask for stainless. I think I used #6 size wood or metal-I can't remember but I mixed them so they matched up-one kind for the wide slot and the other for the remainder (the heads are different).

Isk8NYC
10-28-2006, 07:48 AM
They're stainless steel wood screws.

You'd need flat-headed screws for the slotted holes, and counter-sunk heads for the round holes. It's a standard diameter, but I don't know what size.

You can ask at a pro shop if you can buy extra screws. Most of the ones around here mount the blades with 2-4 screws/boot and keep the extras that come with the blades for their own use in the future.

I always ask for the extras and keep them in my skate bag.

Casey
10-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I could get more from the fitter no problem, but I'm a nut about technical details like that. I like knowing as much about the skates as I can... :P

Thanks!

russiet
10-30-2006, 05:54 AM
They're stainless steel wood screws.

You'd need flat-headed screws for the slotted holes, and counter-sunk heads for the round holes. It's a standard diameter, but I don't know what size.

I always ask for the extras and keep them in my skate bag.

Screw heads are called-off by the shape of the top of the head, not the underside. The hole that they mate into defines the other side.

So the round countersunk holes take flat head screws. The slotted holes take round or pan head screws.

It's a minor technicality to you and I knew what you meant. I work in an engineering department and I would be admonished if I referred to them any other way.

As far as extras are concerned, my fitter has them laying all about and surely would hand a few over to me if I asked. He just picked them off his bench at the last mounting and handed back my old blades along with the new screws still in the poly bag.