View Full Version : Cost of skating

Casey
10-28-2006, 01:50 AM
So I was thinking to myself, "realistiically, how much money could you really take effective advantage of to skate without being wasteful?". Indeed, I wanted to be somewhat budget minded about it to get a realistic estimate...

So I started adding stuff up for my wishlist:

Monthly freestyle session adult flat rate pass at nice rink: $130/month
Public sessions at cheap weekend/evening rink: $100/month
1 hour of lesson time per week: $260/month
Weekly Theater-on-Ice class: $100/month
Ballet class 2x per week: $110/month
Misc stuff (group edge class, the odd session at other rinks, etc.): $50/month
Budget for new skating gear and maintenance: $50/month
Gas: $50/month

Total: $850/month

If I weren't being conservative, I'd up the coaching to 2 or 3 hours a week to include some pairs and ice dance. Assuming 3, that would bring it up to $1370.

That's $10,200 - $16,440 per year. My current net income is somewhere in that range as well. This poses a bit of a problem... :giveup:

What does YOUR wishlist look like?

vesperholly
10-28-2006, 03:21 AM
I totalled my current skating expenses and got about $2,500/year. I'm pretty frugal, especially with coaching because it's by far my largest expense. I pay attention and don't waste time in lessons!

My wishlist would include going to Adult Sectionals and Adult Nationals, 30min each of moves, freestyle and dance lessons per week, and 2 hours of ice time 5 days a week. That would probably cost me near $8,000.

Skate@Delaware
10-28-2006, 06:18 AM
WOW! I'd be divorced by now if I spent that much money on skating....

Private lessons: $26/30 minutes every week=$104 per month
Ice time: for club =$65/month
Ice time: public sessions =$72/month
gas: $95/month
Ice Dance Lessons: $50/month
Total=$386 per month (this is just for me-my husband, daughter, son all skate....)

I'm frugal and make things to sell in the pro-shop-costumes, stinky feet spray, etc.

cassarilda
10-28-2006, 08:22 AM
hmmm if I wanted to do what I want with skating?

Year Pass: $1500 (equals $125pm - all ice time - free & public)
Coaching: free (hubby) or $30 half hour x 5pw = ($600pm)
Ballet Lessons: $60pm
Capoeira: $60pm
Off Ice: free (useful having a hubby who is a qualified gym instructor :D )
= $2940pa with hubby coach/ $10140pa with other coach
+ additional expenses like tests, dresses etc etc

hmmmm

What im doing now?
Ice Time: $10per session x 1pw
Coaching: free
= $40pm
= $520pa

Not much at all atm.. but it will creep up there, especially once I get back into it.. aim is for early morning sessions each day, plus my essential dance lessons and capoeira (great for balance and strength building). :)

Mrs Redboots
10-28-2006, 08:32 AM
I carefully don't add it all up, as I know quite well I can't afford it! Husband pays for most of our skating, thankfully..... but I do pay for some.

PreciseIce
10-28-2006, 08:41 AM
You know, you are right! I constantly try not to total up my expenditure for skating & coaching related expenditure for the year ... Now to think of it, I spend up to 25,000 a year without off ice related stuff coz I'm home trained with a small studio room at home as well as toning & of ice equipments + an overseas trip once a year excluding accommodation ... Gosh!

But I also think it's worth the knowledge learnt!

Skate@Delaware
10-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Well, if you consider that I never took ballet/dance/gymnastics/sports, etc at all when I was younger, then averaged out over my whole lifetime...then I'm way behind in the expense category!!!! I have some catching up to do!:lol:

Rob Dean
10-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Actual expenses: Due to the way we handle family money, I've actually got a notebook with entries covering most of the actual skating expenses since I started up again in January. At a goal of about 40 minutes of lesson time per week and about 4-5 freestyle sessions, plus tests, club membership and skating fees, it's running $400-450/month for me, given that not everything gets accomplished every week.

But Casey asked about the wish list. If I actually got in all the time I could manage given my current work schedule and what my knees will handle, I'd be up around 8 freestyle sessions on 4 days (since I'm there anyway with my son) and 60 minutes of lesson time. Call it ~$170/wk or $680-700/month.

The real world number is chosen to ensure that I have enough money to keep skating for a while. My minimum baseline that I could afford indefinitely without taking in extra work or selling things no longer of interest to me is only around 2 sessions and 1 20-minute lesson per week. That wouldn't be great if I had to do it, but would be better than not skating.

Rob Dean

(Of course, this coming month my work travel schedule and my coach's are going to be badly synchronized, so I will be in the position of having lesson money budgeted but no time in which to take the lessons. :x )

ouijaouija
10-28-2006, 12:48 PM
I am $283 a month minimum, which is more than I can afford, I really hate the cost

When I take my lessons, I HAVE TO buy the session time as well, which is $10! pretty much a toddlers session and I can't get anything done so its taking my money. I would then go to three other sessions in the week and I am not including pubic transport costs and the fact that sessions are just not practial for me because they are busy

Sessions with my student discount is $10 a pop, and lessons are about $26. I also spend ahuge amount on the dirnks machiens, because I get thirsty pretty bad during skating

jenlyon60
10-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Ice: $200/month for freestyle/dance sessions (ice is cheap because our early morning sessions are priced 2 for 1)
Lessons: $600/month
Tests: $50-$100/year if that much
Competitions: $200-$300 including entry fee, coach's partnering fee for Pro-Ams, and travel costs
New Dress if necessary: $1200 (about once every year or 2... these are custom designed & constructed)

Debbie S
10-28-2006, 03:03 PM
A couple of years ago, I figured out how much I had spent on skating-related expenses, which included a couple of doctor's visits and an MRI after a bad fall on my knee, plus skates, dresses, lessons, ice, comp, testing, etc - let's just say it was scary. Then, earlier this year, I calculated monthly skating expenses when I was looking into buying a house. Eeek! 8O

I try to keep expenses low, b/c even with a well-paying job, I'm always mindful that there's so much other stuff that I could be buying - that I need - instead of putting it into my hobby.

A basic rundown:
Ice Time - about $200 per month
Lessons - $80-100 per month (plus additional lessons with choreographer as a comp nears)
Off-ice class - about $40 per month (once a week for $10 each)

If I had unlimited funds, I would probably take a second lesson each week and spend one on moves and one on FS - it's hard to squeeze in both in 1 lesson.

In addition to skating expenses, there's gas expenses - calculating roughly how many miles a week I drive to skating and my car's mpg and gas prices (which were much higher this summer but have dropped considerably), I get about $30 per month (probably about $45 this past summer). Ouch! (OK, maybe figuring all this out wasn't such a good idea - lol)

In the past year, I tested 4 times (3 MIF and 1 FS) so the total bill (including coaching) came to $224. Gosh, getting to Bronze was expensive!

I also bought new skates (which I'm hoping to not have to do for about 5 years or so) for $630, plus new blades for about $200 (old blades were 1/4 inch too long b/c I got custom skates). And then there was the new comp dress which cost me (I think) $135.

I entered 5 comps this year, at a total cost of $550, and that's just the entry fees and hotel (for NYI). Sk8pics has generously served as my (free) coach, and does a great job. ;) For one of the comps, held at my home rink, my coach came and charged her usual lesson fee.

I don't think I'm going to be testing for a while and I'm not sure how many comps I'm going to enter next year, or if I'm going to AN, so next year may be cheaper (dare I dream - lol).

Terri C
10-28-2006, 03:35 PM
This is me:
Ice Time :$200 per month for rink run freestyle, $93.50 per month for two hours of club run freestyle on Sunday afternoons.

Coaching:$134 per month

Gas:$50 per month

Competitions: Entry fees for two events :$100, hotel, $160-$200, gas $50.
I usually do three a year, but this year, I'm cutting back on that to try to move up to Bronze.

I'm looking to cut my expenses too, by possibly doing only one event at the next competition, or we have the option of splitting the club ice with someone else or paying walk on. We'll see

doubletoe
10-28-2006, 04:49 PM
I choose to keep my head buried in the sand and NOT look at how much I'm spending on skating each month/year! If I did that, I would be forced to admit that skating is the reason why my credit card keeps not getting paid off! 8O

cecealias
10-28-2006, 05:01 PM
When I first started skating, I looked at the relative cost of coaching and competing. It just wasn't worth it cost wise for me to compete, so I just stuck with private lessons, testing, ice time and gym till now.

Back then I figured if I ever did want to compete, I decided I could wait until I was really really good with my skills and make it worth while to spend the money on competition choreography, music, dresses, fees and the like instead of shaving off a portion of my lesson budget and ice time every year.;) The other thing that helped me keep costs down was to find as many empty skating sessions as possible for practice, especially on MITF. The busier the sessions, the less I got done. Finally, not taking tests until I was beyond ready for the test so that I would be almost guaranteed a pass. It helped me avoid paying additional coaching & test fees.

I know most people probably wouldn't want to "cut the fun out" by not doing competitions, or shows or programs, but for me, just the opportunity to skate is "The Fun" and my time away from the rest of the world. Everyone has a different take on things.

These days I barely have time to keep up with just building technique, due to travel and work commitments. Looking back, I'm happy I made the decision not to compete, since I can continue with just lessons anytime I want but with competitions on a specific date it would have been a waste of $$$ from last minute cancellations for work.

If I had a wish list, what'd it be? Probably more time to skate! LOL. That and going away from various skating meccas like Sun Valley, Colorado Springs, Ice castle to train for a few months. I'm crazy - I enjoy the process of training more than performing or competing. "Success is in the Journey" LOL.

icedancer2
10-28-2006, 05:11 PM
I really try not to think about it -- in fact, I try to pay cash for all of my skating so that I can't see it going... -- if I don't have the cash, then I know I can't afford it!!

Casey
10-28-2006, 05:38 PM
To clarify, NO WAY do I spend that much on skating now...maybe I spend $100-$200 a month...and really can't afford to do that.

But that's what I'd like to spend.. And I realized I left out testing costs, the gas estimate wasn't very realistic, and I have no idea about competition costs... :giveup:

froggy
10-28-2006, 06:38 PM
skating costs now:

freestyle: 100/month
ice time for public sessions: 72/month
lessons: assuming 1 30min lesson a week is 160 but s/t i add 1 or 2 additional lessons a month which would total to 200-240/month

ballet class: 1-2 classes/week 100/month

so that totals to around at least 432/month hmmmm didnt realize it was that much, however considering i find my skating very therapeutic and great exercise its a good deal compared to what the cost of joining a gym and going for therapy would be

skating 432 vs therapy (1 hour visit $100)2xweek + gym (60/month)= 860

my wish list:
2 45minute lessons/every week

Thin-Ice
10-28-2006, 07:04 PM
I really try not to think about it -- in fact, I try to pay cash for all of my skating so that I can't see it going... -- if I don't have the cash, then I know I can't afford it!!

This is the same skating-budget plan I use.. I really don't WANT to know how much I spend on skating. I could probably have bought a vacation house!!!

PreciseIce
10-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Now that you all mention costumes, competitions & testing, I haven't added them in yet ... skating ... the things passion can drive us to do!:bow:

miraclegro
10-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Well, i would be in a worse state if this year i didn't start helping with the Learn to Skate program, so i now (after many years) get free ice! I take about 1 lesson per week at $25 per lesson, and the problem now is trying to get enough ice time between my work schedule and our new rink's lack of public and/or freestyles.

I take what i can get, but have had many obstackels along the way. I am happy to skate!

My biggest upcoming expenses will be: trying to pass the Silver Freestyle test, passing Gold MIF test, and maybe going to adult nationals and doing 1 adult USFS competition. That is a stretch on my budget!

Chico
10-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Too much. I'm not going to figure it out, although I know for the most part. Skating is my one guilty pleasure and I don't plan on making myself feel any guilter than I already am. As an adult skater I can still do what I want, physical anyhow, and I plan on making the most of the moment.

Chico

aussieskater
10-29-2006, 02:12 AM
In reality

I'm almost too scared to add it up (thinking of what else the money could be used for...), but here goes:

Ice: $525/quarter (= $2,100/year - cassarilda - could I come skate at your rink??) This covers all public and freestyle sessions.

= $175/month

Lessons: 2 x 30min dance lessons each week @$30, shared with hubby (our logic being that before we started trying to dance together we were each taking one 30-min lesson each week, so there would be no additional coaching cost in doing dance. Not sure if it's working out that way... :) ) We don't generally take lessons in the school holidays at all, so we have lessons for 40 weeks per year ==> annual cost $1,200

= $120/month (my share - mind you, it all comes out of a common kitty!)

Dresses, sharpenings etc

I've learned to make my own, so a dress etc costs me only the materials. I'm now also making and selling to skater kids, to try to finance the addiction (still have a way to go to cover skating costs!!) I average a new pair of tights (I wear them till they fall off) and a skirt or dress a year, so say $100 all up. (I don't stone them as they're practice stuff not competition stuff.) Skates are sharpened say 6-8times a year @ $12.

I don't test or compete (yet), so that at least is free... :roll:

All up per year, gear and maintenance costs around $200 = < $20/month (thank goodness there's something on the list that's cheap!)

All up, skating probably costs in the region of $315/month. OUCH! 8O But cheaper than the medical bills from being unfit and miserable...:D :D

Wish list

More time to skate, and more skill and talent!!! I don't think the expenses would significantly increase if I skated more - at least not until I was at a standard where I might reasonably consider doing a baby competition...(adult skating is not well supported in Australia, so there are really no places for a beginner to start.)

looplover
10-29-2006, 07:41 AM
I have no idea how much all of this would cost, but here's my skating wish list:

Flex job so I could skate at the empty lunchtime publics three times a week= skating fee only $18, non office job w/time during day = priceless;

1/2 hour private lesson twice per week = $320

One freestyle per week in addition to the publics so that's 4 days of skating total (I don't like to get up early I admit) = $12

USFSA membership and club membership = a bargain at $80 at my rink

Whatever it costs to test in USFSA and compete in adult nationals at bronze level = I have virtually no clue, I'm still in ISI

Cost of all competition videos to send to family up north via You Tube = $50 a pop?

Annual skate at Wollman Rink in NYC around Thanksgiving = $20

Need new blades next year = $150?

Two new skating dresses and tights = $250

Travel costs to go to adult nationals in 2008 = dunno, expensive, please let them be in Florida, lol

Sports hypnotherapist to get me over my weird mental skating blocks = also priceless

Casey
10-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Travel costs to go to adult nationals in 2008 = dunno, expensive, please let them be in Florida, lol
Noooooo! That would be absolute torture to me. Too far! I say Seattle, but I could stand for meeting in the "middle" in Portland or something... ;)

Rusty Blades
10-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Some of you make me feel a whole lot better about what I spend on skating! :roll:

I started at the end of January (2006) and have spent $5,000, which includes 2 pairs of skates which ought to last a number of years and $300 private ice rental (which I normally wouldn't do again), so it all averages out to about $300/month - not bad!

PattyP
10-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Noooooo! That would be absolute torture to me. Too far! I say Seattle, but I could stand for meeting in the "middle" in Portland or something... ;)

Portland...in the "middle"! You are too funny! That works for me. I always seem to have to change at least 2 time zones for AN, usually 3.

I currently spend about $500/month on ice, lessons and ballet. Add the cost of competitions, Sect., AN, etc, the cost of dresses, skates, etc.... Ugh. Head in the sand approach works for me ;) . I used to spend a lot more on ice time, but I've replaced sessions with running and that has saved me quite a bit and actually helped my skating.

Now that I've dumped my money sucking Ex :roll: , I can afford it.

PreciseIce
10-29-2006, 11:33 AM

Good for you!

I try staying out of relationship untill I can find someone who's 100% supportive towards what I do ;)

Skating is not just $$$ ex but physically too!

lovepairs
10-29-2006, 01:47 PM
You forgot the gas $$$, and cost for competitive outfits. I figure I'm in the hole for somewhere over $5,000 per year if not a lot more. I really don't want to count it up, because I'll have a stroke.

Well, let's see, I haven't bought "real peoples" clothes in about 20 years...I live in spandex!

Kuddles
10-29-2006, 09:44 PM
For myself I know that my skating is costing me a hefty $20,000 per year.
Mostly cause of flights, coaching, gas, hotels, meals when away at comps, etc..

Everything adds up.

Whether your a amateur skater, Pro skater <- Not so much ur getting paid to skate... lol, or a recreational skater. Costs will range from 2,000$ per year - $20,000+

All in all, paying for it all sux's and in a perfect world all cars would be zambonis, and the world would be covered in ice.

-Kuddles

techskater
10-30-2006, 05:52 PM

If you want them in Seattle, join the local club and get them to put in a bid. It isn't just "awarded" to a club or council, there's an entire bid process that happens which requires a lot of work and then even more once the bid is chosen. Of the destinations who have bid for 08 that I have heard, one is Eastern and 2 are Midwestern.

NCSkater02
10-30-2006, 06:20 PM

Hey--I've almost got one of those--sometime next year.

PattyP
10-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Hey--I've almost got one of those--sometime next year.

Mine is not official yet either...should be in a month or two!

crayonskater
10-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Oh, wow. If I had the money:
Two lessons a week @ $30 a lesson = $240 a month on lessons.
Ice dancing session time = $265 a semester.
Actually having skating clothes instead of skating in four year old capris and beholéd tights... wow.

I couldn't do it on my income now.

As it stands:
One lesson a week, split with two other girls = $10.
Ice time is free through the university.

AW1
10-31-2006, 01:11 AM
I am not sure how much it costs for us to have my daugther taught, and I think I'd like to keep it that way just quietly cause if my husband knew he'd probably have kittens!:halo:

kateskate
10-31-2006, 04:53 AM
Free skating lessons - £144 a month
Ice dance lessons - £128 a month
Stroking class - £20 a month
Ice time - £50 a month
Locker -£8.50 a month

Total - £350.50

Which then works out at £4,206 a year.

Although it doesn't really as I don't have free skating lessons in August at all as my teacher is always away, and there are no stroking classes during school holidays and there are weeks off for Christmas and Easter but I think it evens itself out with the extra lessons I have nearer to competitions and tests.

I also bought patch tickets for another rink for about £60 (2 books of 10 tickets - so I have ten half an hour tickets, and ten 45 minute tickets but I still have loads left and will probably see me into the next year)

Competition fees were about £200 for this year (there is also travel to competitions etc and I have no idea how much to estimate for that)

Test fees were about £150 for this year (although I did a lot of tests this year - 7 compared to only 2 last year)

Dresses this year cost me £200 (but I won't be buying any next year as a result)

GRAND TOTAL - £4,816 (I think my maths is right)

Huge amount. Normally I bury my head in the sand and don't think about it.

And of course I went on a skating holiday…… but then I didn't go on a real holiday as a result…..

And then there are the extras like tights, laces, gloves, etc

Raye
10-31-2006, 03:42 PM
All in all, paying for it all sux's and in a perfect world all cars would be zambonis, and the world would be covered in ice.

-Kuddles
Totally agree.

As for me, I have never added it all up, and ignorance is bliss so I probably never will.....:halo:

Icentric NZ
10-31-2006, 05:27 PM
hey at least now i know other people cringe at the money spent on this sport! i'm at university too, skating on a students budget. basically i work at our rink, so every weekend i spend hours running public session just to support my deadly habit!
I skate synchro tho, so you would think that it would cost less when split between so many people....but no
including 2 days of sync a week and 1 or 2 days of freeskate:
ice time - $30 per week ($120 mnth)
coaching - $32 per week ($128 mnth)
which i guess doesnt seem that bad but its really the hidden costs that get you! the one-off's that you pay at the time and don't realise it! like club registration ($35yr) national skating registration ($50yr) test fees ($25 per test, i've done 3 this yr already!) competition fees ($10-$80 per competition).
The real kicker for sync tho is the fact that you need matching everything! our team has matching earrings, necklaces, hair ties, t shirts, polarfleeces, blazers, jackets, dress pants, practice pants, practice tights, practice skirts, 3 pairs of competition tights plus 2 competition outfits, and thats just this year! wow, not feeling too good about my money situation now...

skatingatty
10-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Skating cost me $3k-$5k per year, mainly due to weekly lessons, ice time, and competition costs. That doesn't include my out-of-pocket medical expenses for 2 ankle surgeries in the past, from flubbing up a double flip attempt. Now I'm not skating much and spending about $15/week for skating sessions. I feel a bit heavier and out of shape, but I'm saving money. :)

blisspix
10-31-2006, 11:02 PM
I didn't want my parents to pay a ton when I was younger, becuase I was aware they didn't have much money. Paid by parents when I was a teen (90s prices):

2x ice time per week: $16 a week
2x lessons (half hour per time) $40 a week
Competition entry: approx $100 a year

about $2800 a year. Which I thought, and still do, is a lot.

Now:

1x ice: $13 averaging 4 months off a year (travel)
1x weekend ice: $15 (I make it maybe 3 months a year)
1x ballet: $18 (let's say 6 months a year)
cycling: free!

about ~$1000 a year. I bought skates last year, $700 total, and any clothes I buy I make sure I can also wear them to yoga, ballet whatever.

Dream:

2x ice
1 half hour lesson
1x ballet
1x yoga (I'm hoping to start over the summer!)

But no matter my plans, I can't do it consistently because I travel too much right now (I went overseas 4 times this year, about 2.5 months away). I could afford 'dream' on my income, if I travelled less, which is a trade I'd rather not make at this point in my life.

Team Arthritis
11-01-2006, 12:08 PM
8O I'm not going to add it up, I'm not going to add it up, I'm not going to add it up, I'm not going to add it up, I'm not going to add it up, I'm not going to add it up,
Lyle

Isk8NYC
11-01-2006, 02:58 PM
8O I'm not going to add it up, I'm not going to add it up, I'm not going to add it up, I'm not going to add it up, I'm not going to add it up, I'm not going to add it up,
LyleDon't do it!

Do this instead: Figure out how much you've saved in not smoking, not drinking too much, and paying for entertainment because you're bored. Not to mention the doctor visits, prescriptions, and physical therapy you'd need if you were inactive.

Oh yeah, you're unique: any cost is outweighed by the pleasure you and your wife get from skating together. I know I love flying over the ice, spinning and jumping. When I was off the ice for a few years, I felt like part of me was missing.

As they say in the MasterCard commercials: Priceless

Team Arthritis
11-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Don't do it!

As they say in the MasterCard commercials: Priceless
:lol: YES

FlyAndCrash
06-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Just got my coaches bill for the past month and feeling a little depressed about the price... so I decided to post about it. :P

Coaching fees ($40/hour plus one moves test): $285
Ice time (~$13/hour): $104
Testing: $40
TOTAL: $430

Okay, so maybe it wasn't that much... but way more than a "usual" month. I need a job. :(

SynchroSk8r114
06-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Current skating expenses (weekly):
Ice time = $18-24/week
Lessons = $66/week

So, I'm spending about $90/week on the low end. When working with my other dance coach (in addition to the one I have now and my freestyle coach) I'm closer to $96/week in lessons, which bumps my total up to $120/week total. Not nearly as bad as I imagined. :mrgreen:

Thankfully, I coach so I only pay $6 for an hour of ice, which saves me $7.50.

RachelSk8er
06-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Last year's expenses (this makes me cringe!):

I probably spent $5-6k on synchro alone last year. Our team dues were $2,000 but I also went through a tank of gas and about $10 in tolls/week getting to and from practice (about $1600), airfare and hotel for two trips, three other comps I drove to (2 nights hotel for two of those, too), food at competitions, and other misc. expenses like our team shirts.

My individual skating wasn't as bad. $20-40/week for ice time, $27-35/week for my 30-40 min private lessons. A couple hundred for testing.

Last year I also bought new boots ($600), two new dresses ($360), stones for my two new dresses and stones to jazz up my synchro dress once the season ended ($300-$350).

Adult Nationals: $225 for travel, $500 for hotel, $200 entry fees, then food and misc on top of that.

But being a national champ in synchro and a national silver medalist in freestyle in the same season? PRICELESS :)

This year I won't need skates or dresses and I'm not skating synchro, so I can probably get by with about $250/month for ice time and lessons, then competition fees and travel on top of that. Not too bad.

RachelSk8er
06-03-2008, 03:15 PM
double post sorry

AgnesNitt
06-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Now that my coach wants to be paid in cash I don't have any records, so it's real easy to just ignore it since it comes out of my weekly cash allowance. I just don't eat out anymore. Since I'm over 55 I only have to pay $3 for public skate, so I get a break there.

I complimented an ice dancer I knew on his beautiful 3 turns (amazing how something so basic can look so elegant when done by a master), Chuck said "They cost me $5000, they better be good". Of course this is the same man who added up his costs (coaches, ice time, travel, hotel, costumes) and his wife's costs for part of last year and found that it was $15K (at which point he decided not to do that exercise again). Ice dancers are just rabid about perfection and they're willing to pay for it. It's a good thing they skate into their 60's--spread out over a lifetime I guess the pro-rated cost per year isn't so bad.

FREESK8ER
06-03-2008, 06:34 PM
If I compare my friends bar bills to my skating bills it comes out the same but I don't need a gym membership. J

mikawendy
06-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Ice dancers are just rabid about perfection and they're willing to pay for it. It's a good thing they skate into their 60's--spread out over a lifetime I guess the pro-rated cost per year isn't so bad.

Plus, if the skating contributes to added good physical health and mental well-being, then perhaps it adds to life span (and then makes the pro-rated cost per year even lower). At least, I'm hoping that's the net effect that skating would have on life span! :D

TiggerTooSkates
06-03-2008, 08:42 PM
If I compare my friends bar bills to my skating bills it comes out the same but I don't need a gym membership. J

See, this is what I call SOUND LOGIC. Love this post!!!

My husband and I treat ourselves occasionally by to going to a local pub (he's a Brit and of course needs the atmosphere from time to time). He's a hockey man himself; we both work very hard at our chosen ice obsessions and sometimes you just gotta have a drink out, you know? We were discussing the tab last Sunday and I pointed out that the drinks (I think we had three each) cost more than my weekly half-hour lesson. Really sort of put it into perspective!

I've started applying that logic to a lot of stuff - and I've found it keeps me out of the mall. A lot, actually. And as my husband pointed out, I've enough shoes to outfit the Continental Army, and you could just about hang an Ann Taylor sign on my closet and open a small branch of the place in my bedroom. I'm an RN (just graduated from Duke in December), and I really don't need scrubs either - much less fancier office-type clothes anymore. So what's the point, right?

Besides, I'd get more wear out of the practice dress since I'm at the rink nearly every day anyway!

The gym we belong to is our home ice rink, so public sessions are included in the monthly fee. We split the cost of the membership, so ice time costs me $37/month - for five four-hour public sessions on weekdays and two on the weekends (which I sometimes skip - Sundays aren't as crowded but Saturdays are mental). I'm aware of what a luxury this is and don't take it lightly.

My own expenses? I really can't go there yet - I will once my new skates are paid for, and then I don't think I'll count them!

RachelSk8er
06-04-2008, 07:57 AM
I've started applying that logic to a lot of stuff - and I've found it keeps me out of the mall. A lot, actually.

By the time I get done with work, skating, and my gym workouts, I don't have TIME for the mall. :laugh:

And I've probably spent more on a skating dress (once you factor in the dress and stones...I go nuts with the stones but at least I glue them on myself, I don't want to know what the labor cost would be otherwise) than I'd ever spend on a wedding dress. But at least I wear the skating dress more than once, right?

sk8tmum
06-04-2008, 08:37 AM
3 kids on ice
52 weeks a year, multiple sessions weekly
weird feet and body types = off the rack not always a possibility for skates or clothes - handmedowns don't work either, same reason. But we try.

this means.

My kids will be the only ones in their entire peer group who have never visited any of the Disney theme parks.
We drive an older car.
Pizza
is made not bought.

and, I'm fine with that.

Casey
06-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Just got my coaches bill for the past month and feeling a little depressed about the price... so I decided to post about it. :P

Coaching fees ($40/hour plus one moves test): $285
Ice time (~$13/hour): $104
Testing: $40
TOTAL: $430

Okay, so maybe it wasn't that much... but way more than a "usual" month. I need a job. :(

Hey, could be worse... my coaching now is $90/hour! I'm currently spending ~$400/month on coaching for 2 half hour lessons per week. Ice time isn't too much different - ours is $11/45 minutes, but sometimes that 45 minutes is actually an hour if they don't need to do an ice cut. :) The ice time is what kills me, cause I'm spending another $300/month on that. I can get it down to $9/45 minutes if I buy a whole bunch in advance, but this rink is tricky because you have to preschedule all your sessions and pay even if you don't show up for them!

Morgail
06-05-2008, 03:33 PM
I can get it down to $9/45 minutes if I buy a whole bunch in advance, but this rink is tricky because you have to preschedule all your sessions and pay even if you don't show up for them!
That's how our club works. You contract for all your sessions in a "season" ahead of time, and pay for it all up front. You get a few trade cards (1 per $100 you spend) to use if you miss one of your scheduled sessions, but other than that, if you miss a session, you're out $10.

wish list:
coaching: $140/wk ($70 per hour lesson)
ice time: $90/wk ($10 per session)
2-3 competitions per year: ?? (Haven't been to one lately)
off-ice coaching: $20/wk
skating clothes: $400-$500/yr
testing: $100-$200/yr
sharpening: $120/yr

...I don't dare add that up! And it doesn't even include skates.

Right now, I'm spending:
coaching: $70/wk
ice time: $52/wk
off-ice: $10/wk (not every week)
skating clothes: $60-$100/yr
testing: $100-$200/yr
sharpening: $60/yr

I don't dare add that up, either. I know it's way more than I can really afford - but I do it anyway :twisted:

GordonSk8erBoi
06-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Hmm. Obviously I am not getting enough ice time in!

I spend about $200/mo on coaching (will be $240/mo in July), but only about $100/mo on ice time (3 FS/week + public sessions). I don't figure gas into my skating budget, but I probably should! I don't usually compete (only once so far) so that's an outlier.

I noticed a lot of people didn't include club memberships and USFS memberships in their costs, but it's pretty significant -- I'm renewing right now. My home club is $90/year, but I'm also going to join a local club as an associate (not their term for it) at $45/yr. I don't skate club ice.

Sessy
06-06-2008, 04:18 PM
BTW here's an idea to save on money: stop drinking fuzzy drinks like cola, fanta, 7up etc. When I went to university I stopped drinking that stuff after seeing my first's month's bills (I also stopped drinking fancy coffee types, going for plain coffee instead, and for cheaper tea) and it cut down HALF on my groceries!!!

RachelSk8er
06-06-2008, 05:22 PM
BTW here's an idea to save on money: stop drinking fuzzy drinks like cola, fanta, 7up etc. When I went to university I stopped drinking that stuff after seeing my first's month's bills (I also stopped drinking fancy coffee types, going for plain coffee instead, and for cheaper tea) and it cut down HALF on my groceries!!!

Ha ha already there. All I drink is a cup of coffee on weekday mornings (free at work), occasional tea or hot cocoa (also free at work), and mostly water. Occasionally diet pop if I'm out to dinner. Usually that's all I drink if we go to a bar too since I don't like most beers, and I'm not much of a drinker anyway. They usually just give it to you for free since they assume if you're out at a bar drinking pop, you're the designated driver.

sk8lady
06-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Added mine up and it was mostly less than I thought:

4 lessons a month @ $50--$2200 per year (missed a lot of lessons this year so I took off a month's worth)

4 PS sessions a week for the 5 months we have ice locally--$320

2 freestyle sessions a week for 6 months when we don't have local ice, taking out 1 month's worth for vacations-$480

1 FS session a week (only place to take lessons) for the rest of the year--$240

$5760 on lessons and ice.

If I include gas now that it costs a vast fortune, things look a lot worse as I have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get to the rink where my coach gives lessons. It's half a tank=$30/week=$1560 per year.

If I add in AN expenses, another $880.

I make my own costumes with an occasional ebay purchase, but I did buy a pair of Seku pants and had a wild spending spree in Chicago where I bought two pairs of Lululemon pants and a jacket. I'm not including that as I just added it up and it was too horrifying to recount, plus I got the jacket specifically because it matched the pin-striped pants that I bought and I can wear the outfit to work for everything but court (and I would probably do that in a pinch since the judges know I skate...).

Total is $8200, which is a lot less than the dr's appointments and surgery my sister had because she wrecked her hip running.

Plus I would otherwise be a raving maniac from having six months of winter a year!

TiggerTooSkates
06-07-2008, 03:13 PM

Scary, isn't it - how much that stuff cuts into your cash?

Casey
06-07-2008, 03:14 PM
I noticed a lot of people didn't include club memberships and USFS memberships in their costs, but it's pretty significant -- I'm renewing right now. My home club is $90/year, but I'm also going to join a local club as an associate (not their term for it) at $45/yr. I don't skate club ice.
Oof, don't remind me. I'm not a current member of USFSA and will have to pony up to join a local club pretty soon I guess. But I'll worry about getting refined enough to testing level first I think. :)

Sessy
06-08-2008, 03:37 AM
Scary, isn't it - how much that stuff cuts into your cash?

Not to mention here in the student dorm I found a tray of Coca Cola bottles dated to expire in 2005... This was last winter, btw. I flushed them down the kitchen sink to turn in the bottles for money (we get money back when we turn in empty bottles). They didn't fizzle anymore, they were like plain dark brown water, but that's logical for something expired 3 years ago.
What scared me was what happened next.

Okay first of all, we had really bad calcium stains in the kitchen sink. Those disappeared all together. Imagine what coca cola does to your teeth? But still, it's sour, and acid removes calcium. That makes sense.

But guess what?

Next, it DE-CLOGGED THE SINK!!! Oh. My. God. :o
Imagine what that stuff does to your intestines?!

That's just REALLY gross!!! That stuff is poisonous, seriously.

Skittl1321
06-08-2008, 06:57 AM

It also is a great rust remover.

I actually don't drink regular coke, but I do like an occasional diet coke. The NP I go to has told me to stop drinking Diet and just drink a regular one on occasion, because she thinks the chemicals in diet are so bad for you.

Really- I don't think it's poisonous, but I need to stop drinking it, because it's not good- thats for sure.

Morgail
06-08-2008, 08:12 PM

I actually don't drink regular coke, but I do like an occasional diet coke. The NP I go to has told me to stop drinking Diet and just drink a regular one on occasion, because she thinks the chemicals in diet are so bad for you.
Really- I don't think it's poisonous, but I need to stop drinking it, because it's not good- thats for sure.

lol...write me up an obituary. I drink about 3-5 cans of diet pepsi (or diet coke, whichever one is on sale) a day. 8O
I did switch from regular to diet several years ago, and immediately dropped 10 lbs. Regular coke calories can really add up if you drink a lot of it.

TiggerTooSkates
06-08-2008, 10:27 PM
lol...write me up an obituary. I drink about 3-5 cans of diet pepsi (or diet coke, whichever one is on sale) a day. 8O
I did switch from regular to diet several years ago, and immediately dropped 10 lbs. Regular coke calories can really add up if you drink a lot of it.

Aren't there something like twelve tablespoons of sugar in a regular can of Coke? All that concentrated syrup - eeewwww....

I've switched to Coke Zero. To me it tastes better than Diet and the list of ingredients is actually shorter - AND it has less sodium. I've also limited myself to one - occasionally two - a day. Whenever we go out to eat, I either get water or unsweetened tea (grew up on unsweet, so sweet tastes like pure sugar water to me).

(Unless, of course, vino is called for...) :)

Query
06-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Let's get some realistic gas and car cost estimates, which I have estimated to be my primary cost for skating, since I systematically seek inexpensive ice time.

Say, 20 miles each way, every day (some of you drive much more). 40 miles. 20 mpg (optimistic, considering traffic jams to come). 2 gallonw/day at $4/gallon is $8/day or $240/month. Reasonable estimate: even if the war and the petroleum it requires ends (uncertain), world demand continues to increase, and the value of the dollar against more stable asian currencies, and USD cost of gas might double in (completely arbitrary estimate) 2-5 years, so this goes up soon.

1200 miles/month. Assume new vehicle costs $30,000 (future inflation included), and old one lasts 200,000 miles (those of you who replace often may spend a LOT more), that's $180/month in replacement car costs.

Repairs: let's say the average will be $700 every 5000 miles over the course of those 200,000 miles. That's another $168/month.

Most insurance companies want an estimate of daily milage. Let's say this adds $150 to the 6 month premium - another $25/month. I'll assume no accidents or no deductable.

So we've got $613/month, increasing in 2-5 years to $853/month from gas costs. That doesn't include much for future inflation. Right now the U.S. isn't exporting much other than debt. If continued, this will inevitably lead to much more rapid inflation, and not just in gas prices.

(And before you decide to drop the gas costs by buying a new super-fuel-efficient hybrid - you'll spend a lot more on the new vehicle and the resultant finance and insurance than you save on gas, unless you get incredibly awful mpg. You'll also consume more energy and resources having the new car built. The most cost, energy and environmental resource efficient step is almost always to fix up an old car - yours or someone else's - and keep it running. Buying a new hybrid is politically correct - but totally wrong from an environmental resource, energy, landfill or cost standpoint. Work out the numbers: Even in the old days of less fuel efficient cars, the estimate was the energy and resource cost of building a car was equivalent to driving 100,000 miles. Now that should be significantly more. I've shocked a few people by showing them that buying a new more fuel efficient car isn't environmentally or economically logical.)

And that's assuming only 20 miles each way, and moderately priced and maintained vehicles kept 200,000 miles, and relatively conservative inflation estimates. You might get very different numbers. I bet many of you have to throw in a lot more.

The inflation estimates should also add the effect of increasing energy costs, and the dropping popularity of skating, on what rinks will have to charge.

We should all move to homes and work on the borders of an arctic lake. (Or not - the energy costs of building and heating the home would be astonishing. Remember that construction is still the primary energy and resource hog of human existance, not cars.)

In any event, I may have to re-evaluate the effects of choosing the cheapest local rinks, when I add in car costs.

Hope those estimates haven't made anyone unhappy. :evil:

jenlyon60
06-09-2008, 04:24 AM
There are also some studies that say that the high fructose corn syrup used in today's sodas (and many other foods) is worse for the body than regular sugar syrup. Many dieticians also believe that HFCP is contributing to the US's obesity problems.

This is because apparently the HFCP is processed in the body differently than regular old sugar, which then affects the metabolic response, as well as causing the liver to put more fat into the blood stream.

Not everyone buys into these studies, and there's as many studies that claim the opposite, i.e. "it's just extremely an extremely cheap sweetener to produce"

Aren't there something like twelve tablespoons of sugar in a regular can of Coke? All that concentrated syrup - eeewwww....

I've switched to Coke Zero. To me it tastes better than Diet and the list of ingredients is actually shorter - AND it has less sodium. I've also limited myself to one - occasionally two - a day. Whenever we go out to eat, I either get water or unsweetened tea (grew up on unsweet, so sweet tastes like pure sugar water to me).

(Unless, of course, vino is called for...) :)

Sessy
06-09-2008, 04:46 AM
A car loses about half its value in the first 2,5 years. You're better off buying a 3-year old one.

sk8_4fun
06-09-2008, 05:02 AM
skating costs????

*fingers jammed in ears...* lalalalalalalalala la la la la !!!!!!

I'm not listening!!!!!! lol!:giveup:;)

Rob Dean
06-09-2008, 06:49 AM
Let's get some realistic gas and car cost estimates, which I have estimated to be my primary cost for skating, since I systematically seek inexpensive ice time.
The inflation estimates should also add the effect of increasing energy costs, and the dropping popularity of skating, on what rinks will have to charge.
Hope those estimates haven't made anyone unhappy. :evil:

I might dispute some of your numbers, but I'm afraid that your methodology isn't unreasonable. I'll also admit that I'm applying gas costs mentally regularly now to all decisions involving transportation, although I still have the gas bills partitioned off from the skating bills in the budget. I'm working on reducing all trips, and my bike should be back from maintenance in a couple of days, which will allow me to try riding to work on non skating days. (It's 40 miles of riding round trip, about $8 in gas at my current rates, but my legs will be blown for skating on those days.)

The line that worries me is the one about "what rinks will have to charge"--since a lot of them are somewhat marginal operations, my worry is more about whether they will be there at all than what the price will be.

Rob

jenlyon60
06-09-2008, 07:27 AM
Some may close. Many (most?) will raise prices.

And these prices will get passed on to the skating community, be it as higher prices for freestyle/patch/public sessions, or higher prices for lessons. Competition fees will go up because it's not only the increased ice cost (for rental), it's the increased cost of food for hospitality, and the increased cost of transportation to bring the judges in. (Even if you use local judges, the current USFS mileage rate is 6 or 8 cents per mile higher than last year, and it hasn't changed since February. It's pegged against the IRS/GSA official mileage rate, so it will probably be adjusted whenever IRS/GSA changes their official rate.)

For the competition I ran this past weekend, my original budget (and fee structure) was based on about a 10% increase in prices. Instead, it was more like a 20 to 25% increase in some areas.

I talked to the vendors this weekend and they said that their sales had been lower the past few months than in previous months/years. Which implies that there's a lot of trimming around the margin going on. People don't want to stop skating and competing, or don't want to make their kids cut back. So perhaps they cut back on as many competitions, or go to those closer to home, or when at competitions, don't spend money at the vendor booths.

Sessy
06-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Synthetic ice is starting to sound better and better by the minute, huh... :mrgreen:

TiggerTooSkates
06-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Synthetic ice is starting to sound better and better by the minute, huh... :mrgreen:

Yep - put THAT sucker in your backyard...how COOL (ha ha) would THAT be?

Query
06-10-2008, 09:54 AM

With synthetic ice, the costs shift somewhat in the direction of blades and sharpening.

I'm told a typical synthetic (by which I mean plastic) ice skater needs roughly one sharpening per 1-2 hour skating session. A typical water ice (I mean synthetic water ice - natural ice has dirt and pollen, which abrades blades more) skater needs roughly one sharpening per month or two. Both of these numbers vary a lot by taste, as well as by how clean the plastic or water ice surface is kept.

Let us take the average cost of sharpening by someone who knows what they are doing to be $10 (USD). Assume a decent blade averages $300 (including mount, if extra), and that it will last 60 sharpenings. That's $5 more / session. If you skate an average of one session/day, that's $450 / month.

If you use the Jackson Matrix interchangeable runners, they are only $110 each. Skate@Delaware advocates using $50 blades. Hand sharpening eliminates payments to your sharpener, and increases blade lifetime (by a factor of maybe 5, if you sharpen just enough to create a burr, then straighten the burr, instead of grinding a full hollow), at the lessor cost of replacing the two stones for $60 + shipping (for the Pro-Filer) perhaps 2 times a year.

From my perspective, the likelihood of injury, with attendent medical and other costs, also goes way up on synthetic. (There are fewer falls among beginners, so maybe my perspective isn't universal.) That can be a very high cost. Oddly, no one included the costs of treating injuries, or of missed work, etc.

All of my listed frequencies vary by a factor of several, depending on the skater, ice, and personal taste.

Nonetheless, I believe that synthetic ice mostly isn't worth it. It decreases operating costs (and energy usage) for the rink, but increases net costs for the skaters, if they use decent blades and keep them sharp.

If you put the synthetic ice in your own home or backyard, and eliminate the car costs, this balance changes. But where is the fun in not interacting with anyone? And much of the fun of skating is gliding effortlessly across the ice - which goes away on synthetic.

If synthetics improve, or I move somewhere without water ice, I may change my mind. Otherwise - ptooee.

Rusty Blades
06-10-2008, 11:21 AM
A car loses about half its value in the first 2,5 years. You're better off buying a 3-year old one.

Or do what I do - buy brand new and put 500,000Km on it in 15 years, until it falls apart. (Buying used is fine if you get one in good shape but it is IMPOSSIBLE for even a mechanic to tell after 3 years.)

debrag
02-15-2009, 04:17 AM
once I'm on patch and having private coaching:

patch = £3 an hour or £50 a month
private coaching = £7.50 - £9 for 15 mins
LTS = £40 for 6 weeks (£20 a month)
public session = £6.36

Don't think I'll ever get onto patch (maybe weekends eventually). So 1 private lesson + 1 public session + LTS = £141 ish a month.

Haven't started private lessons yet and only go to LTS so it's actually £20 a month. Aiming for the above though and more if posisble. Lea Valley's opening times are that great though.

Monday: 11.00am - 3.30pm (can't do)
Tuesday: 11.00am - 3.30pm and 5.00pm - 7.00pm (only last hr)
Wednesday: 11.00am - 3.30pm (can't do)
Thursday: 11.00am - 3.30pm and 8.30pm - 10.30pm (currently do)
Friday: 11.00am - 3.30pm, 5.00pm - 7.00pm and 8.30pm - 10.30pm (don't do, disco etc)
Saturday & Sunday:10.00am - 12.00pm, 2.00pm - 4.00pm and 8.30pm - 10.30pm (will look at doing the morning sessions)

niupartyangel
02-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Here's mine:

Coaching - $25 for a half hour lesson once a week...but I've been doubling up lately to an hour a week since I decided to take the pre-bronze test this summer.

Ice time - just turned in my ice contract for the spring...$282 total for 12 weeks of 1 and 1/2 hours a week

skates - $571 total for riedell bronze star boots and coronation ace blades w/ the sharpening, mounting, waterproofing thingy...and the other day i just paid $95 total for sharpening and to have the urethane seal thing done on the soles, because doing the lunges have been eating away at my soles :roll: here's hoping it'll be awhile till i have to get that done again next time.

$40 - 10 skate public pass to the rink across my house (not my primary rink for lessons though)

$140 - my zuca (gray frame with lilac quilted bag) -- worth every penny, I love it!

$135 - ice show fee

$140 - ballet - once a week for 10 weeks

My husband is very supportive so I am lucky...however we both know we can't have kids yet as we are enjoying our lives the way it is at the moment...i will definitely introduce our kids-to-be to skating and hope that they love it as much as I do (by then mommy might have to quit to accommodate the expense but hope not!)...anyway my husband's "hobby vice" is tennis...he bought the same racket that Rafael Nadal has and also has been taking lessons. He loves it a lot too so who am I to complain....i'd rather we piss away our $ on sports and fitness rather than dropping $50 in the club on weekends...