View Full Version : Champion cords

Scarlett
10-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Has any one here used Champion Cords? Do you find them helpful? Is the instructional video of any use?

Thanks

Isk8NYC
10-27-2006, 03:03 PM
I attended an on-ice demonstration/teaching seminar given by Champion Cords this summer. They had student demonstrators followed by our actually using the cords. It does take some getting used to, but they have a thousand uses.

I keep a cord in the pocket of my skating jackets when I'm coaching. I don't have any high-level skaters, but I use it for stroking (stops the wing flapping), turns (teaches CHECKING), spins (coordinates arm and foot movement), and single jumps (checks again). When all else fails, you can use them for limbo contests. (I usually use a cut-off hockey stick; this is much easier to transport.)

One of my students considers it remedial education or punishment (LOL!) while most of the others like the cords. They're an interesting way to learn/relearn and they get attention from onlookers. (Which explains why the first student hates it - she's very shy and self-conscious.)

The cords are high quality and safe to use, but you MUST hook them onto the skate properly as recommended by the company. The clips are unique and well-made.

I've never seen the video in its entirety, though it was playing at the trade show. Too many other things to see and play with.

Michael Weiss' coach, Audrey Weisinger, is one of the promotors/owners. She gave the on-ice workshop I attended.

Team Arthritis
10-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Oh so that's what they are called!
http://www.championcords.com/servlet/StoreFront
Yes these are interesting to practice with.
Pro: helps you concentrate on your foot or arm position.:)
Con: when using them all you can think of is your foot or arm position.:frus:
Lyle
P.S. when your back is stiff and cold these are easier to get on and off if you use the larger S clips

PreciseIce
10-27-2006, 03:35 PM
I've used to assist the skaters for 2 years now ... In general I like it because it helps them concentrate on the arms & legs. I call it the "posture enhancer" during these lessons time.

Students who uses them loves them as they helped them "feel" their spins, jumps & stretches as well as strengthen their body.

Frankly, I did not use the video... I improvise the cord to all kinds of usage. There's never a limit to it.

Skate@Delaware
10-27-2006, 08:30 PM
My coach used them on me a bit ago...at first I joked about being her "marionette" but I was really afraid of getting caught up in them and falling...8O

After doing some simple stroking, my shoulders and arms were burning! We didn't use them on spins (my spins had been bad because of an inner ear thing), but we did use them on spirals and they really helped with body awareness and helping me realize where my legs/arms were and getting into different spiral positions (traditional, star). Then we used them on crossovers and I really felt the difference on my upper back and where my arms should be.

I'm hoping we get to use them again soon!

Chico
10-27-2006, 08:59 PM
I've also used them. The first time my coach came over with them it crossed my mind that she enjoyed torturing her students. =-) Seriously, after the initial strange feeling period I found them useful. I could feel want my coach was saying besides just seeing and hearing it. I embrace however she can get her point across and anyway I can learn. I liked them after the initial "weird" feeling moments.

Chico

Mrs Redboots
10-28-2006, 08:23 AM
I'd not actually heard of them before, but they do look as though they would be brilliant for correcting postural faults. I hate to think what the Husband would do with them, given the way his shoulders sometimes go (mine too!).

Has anybody seen them in use over here?

PreciseIce
10-28-2006, 08:30 AM
I use them on my skater almost everyday ... of coz with different people.

My skaters has the joke of saying it's a torture in the begaining.Now they love it! I uses a few little helps from different equipments for lessons ... I find them nice & easy to use & makes learning interesting.

Give it a try ... I recommend ... it's interesting!

Isk8NYC
10-30-2006, 12:49 PM
I used them (as usual) yesterday with my students. Both were doing the "Hop-a-Long Waltz jump" where you hold your free foot in front and HOP around to a weak little landing. Here's how I used them:

For CCW jumper:
Slip the loop around the right wrist.
Wrap the clip end around the right foot, going under the boot at the midsection, so the blade shaft holds it in place.
Run cord through the clip and hook onto the right skate lace. (at the toe laces.)

It takes about 5-6 practice jumps before the skater gets comfortable with the "leash."

Have the skater keep the right arm and foot back before the jump in a "racing dive" postion. Next, s/he brings both arms and the right foot forward at the same time to jump. The right foot kicks through, while the arms "hug a tree." Upon landing, they check the jump with the left foot back and the left arm in front. The right arm is held in place by the cord, keeping them from rolling off the RBO landing edge because they threw that arm to the back.

jazzpants
10-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Oh, it's definitely torture! The funny part is that I'm more determined to make it work for me just so I can finally get my coach to take these blasted things off me!!! :lol: :twisted: (ISk8NYC: I was dealing with the Frankenstein arms and shoulder issues with stroking. They really work on those!!! :lol: )

Skate@Delaware
10-30-2006, 02:29 PM
My coach gave me the "head up" that we will be using these again, right after my competition!!! So, Sunday I'll be sore again! I have found them to help me with correct positioning of my arms, especially with the back crossovers (never seem to lift that back arm high enough!).....8O

and she still wants to try them on the backspin, once I get my new boots!

Isk8NYC
10-30-2006, 02:40 PM
They're great for backspins, I use them frequently.

At the conference, the presenters did a demonstration with waltz jump, back spin, waltz/backspin then axel, and finally double axel. The demonstrators (high school age skaters) said the cords really made them aware of their positions.

Skate@Delaware
10-30-2006, 02:43 PM
That's what I liked about them-I have a hard time "feeling" where my arms are in relation to my body and the same with my legs (it's weird but true 8O )...I have a poor sense of body awareness. Since we have been using them they have helped.

We backed off using them on the backspin, since mine disappeared...we are hoping that they come back (as in more than 2 revs) once I have my new boots.

I liked using them for spirals and my waltz jump, although it was weird at first.

Scarlett
10-30-2006, 04:55 PM
So I'm taking your word for it....I ordered the set from the PSA. That way I get 2 of them and the video for about $46. Hopefully they will be here soon so I can torture myself on the ice. Maybe then I will finally remember to hold my left arm back when attempting a flip. The following dialogue with coach is getting old:

Coach: What are your arms doing?
Me: I dunno.
Coach: Are you even aware you have arms when you jump?
Me: What? Arms? But look I crossed my legs.

Hopefully these will help and we can then move on to checking jumps or in my lack of checking jumps.

Mrs Redboots
10-31-2006, 06:20 AM
I rather think these would help us with our arm and shoulder issues (and after today's lesson, I am :frus::giveup: about both of our arms & shoulders!) but don't know if they're available in the UK. Does anybody know?

Isk8NYC
10-31-2006, 07:33 AM
I don't use the *official* cords. I picked up some thin bungee cords at the Home Depot and added keychain caribiner clips to one end. (I thought I had posted this, but I don't see the post now. Must have been eaten by cyberspace.) I use two or more "tarp tie down" cords looped together, depending on the student's size and what I'm doing with the cords.

The *Official* Champion Cords are much nicer, and their clips are much better than the caribiners, but you can make do in a pinch with substitutes. (More for our UK members than the US.)

I didn't realize the PSA website had the same prices as ChampionCords.com. That's good to know if I decide to pick up a real set at some point.

Make sure you study the video on how to clip on the cords safely - you don't want one coming loose and getting under your blade or snapping you in the face. I enjoyed the on-ice demo very much, let us know if the video's good.

renatele
10-31-2006, 07:48 AM
Isk8NYC, you have to show me those tomorrow!

Isk8NYC
08-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Just as a follow up to my DIY toys, I was in an ACE hardware store last week and I saw a display of "S-Biner" clips that looked incredibly similar to the ones used on Champion Cords.

The manufacturer is "Nite Ize" and their website is www.niteize.com (http://www.niteize.com) The clips come in different sizes and the website has lots of interesting items. (I like the LED Flying Disks)

Check it out and see if it would work in a pinch until you can get a replacement clip from Champion Cords themselves.

FlyAndCrash
08-03-2008, 06:47 PM
My coach used these on me a few times... Usually its for head awareness rather than limb awareness, but she's used it for both on me.

For the head, she hooks it onto my ponytail and then loops it around my waist. This makes me keep my head UP and keeps me more aware of the direction my head is facing... I sometimes cheat when I'm not actually doing an exercise by physically holding the cord behind my head so that it isn't putting pressure on my head. :oops:

Thin-Ice
08-04-2008, 02:09 AM
I really like the cords, although I felt incredibly awkward at first. They helped with both my backspin and camelspin. They're also useful for smoothing out moves, once you get used to the "marionette" feeling. But I thought the video was a waste of money. Mostly it goes on about how useful they are and shows a couple of examples, which you've probably already seen or read about here. I have two cords (so I can use them on both sides of my body when working on moves) -- but ended up giving away the DVD. Maybe you can cancel the order and re-order just the cords????

LilJen
08-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Coach: What are your arms doing?
Me: I dunno.
Coach: Are you even aware you have arms when you jump?
Me: What? Arms? But look I crossed my legs.

Gee, this sounds like my coach and me. Lots of "Ya think?!!!?" from her after my "I dunnos".

sk8lady
08-05-2008, 05:54 PM
My coach gave me the "head up" that we will be using these again, right after my competition!!!

My coach threatened to tie these to my ponytail to keep me from looking down when I jump. I gave her "THE LOOK" and she gave up! ;)