View Full Version : When to start testing?

Skittl1321
10-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Alright, I have been skating for about 5 months, and although I don't skate frequently- I feel I have made some progress. I am now in Basic 8.

When should I start thinking about preparing for testing? It seems like these tests take a long time to learn the required elements for. I am planning on starting working with a private coach next month to supplement my group lessons- do I ask to start working on moves in the field? Or do I need to have more skating experience before I can start thinking about that sort of thing?

Thin-Ice
10-26-2006, 01:09 AM
Private lessons are supposed to help you accomplish your personal goals. Once you choose a coach, explain that testing (and competing, if that's the case) are what you really want to do.. and talk with your coach about how best to go about achieving your goals.

Best wishes and keep us posted on your progress!

Isk8NYC
10-26-2006, 08:01 AM
Plan it out and discuss it with your coach.

The Basic Skills Freeskate tests (which follow the Basic 8 in the USFSA Basic Skills tests) are a good progression to follow in working up to the Adult or regular track freestyle tests.

Start working on the MITF with a goal of testing. The skills help improve your freestyle or dance skating. They're an independent track, so it doesn't require you to skate any particular freestyle level.

PreciseIce
10-26-2006, 08:05 AM
I agree with Thin-Ice ...

Private coach is choice you've made to work for your own goals.Work with the coach & it's really going to be great if both of you are on the same track...it makes improvements easier & more increase motivation.

Moves in The Field is never too early to start at a Basic 8. it helps strengthen your basic. You know- Go for it!!!!! Work towards the test ..the best way both of you think is good & achievable.

Clarice
10-26-2006, 08:09 AM
I'd definitely start working on the Pre-Bronze Moves test (I seem to remember you're an adult skater, right?). If you're Basic 8, you can already do the basic skills needed for this test, but will have to learn the specific patterns. As you work to master the patterns, you will strengthen your skills. The Pre-Bronze test calls for forward perimeter stroking with crossovers around the ends (in both directions), consecutive edges across the width of the rink (you alternate feet and do forward insides, forward outsides, back insides, and back outsides), forward and backward crossovers in a figure-eight pattern, a waltz eight (a pattern of edges and 3-turns skated in rhythm), and the new forward three-turn pattern. As you plan ahead, I know there are usually test sessions in Iowa in Ames in November, Cedar Rapids in March, and Davenport in June. These are held in conjunction with competitions; other sessions are scheduled around the state at other times.