View Full Version : How to spin?

BlueIcePlaza
10-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Hi there..

I'm, as some of you might know, a fairly non-serious recreational skater of 9 months into practice.
I'm doing well with backwards slaloms, foward one-foot spirals, and not too bad with forward crossovers - and just learning backwards crossovers. (Just to give you some idea of my progress).
I have a recent new-found obsession with using a fast swizzling action on a tight curve, to switch from forward to backwards stroking, lemons or slaloms - and on occasion, it feels wonderfully overplayed into a sort of brief spinning action.
Just wondering, if this is a reasonable enough action to go on to practise a very basic two-foot spin, or can anyone suggest something easier, or more to the point, better?

I'm not having lessons, due to financial and attendance restrictions - so I'm mainly self-teaching at the moment!

Many thanks for any suggestions and all replies.

Kind regards, BIP. :D

PreciseIce
10-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Lots of ways to Try ... these 2 are some ...

Anti-Clockwise in place

~ Swing & check both arm to right with body all twisted
~ Look left & Swing both arms in left now
~ Let it spin with open arms to balance (slow spin)
~ Once balance, close arms to increase spin rotation

Anti-clockwise direction while gliding

~ Skating forward to gain speed
~ Go on a 2 foot glide in a circle (from bigger to smaller circle)
~ Practice placing left hand forward with left leg & hand slightly front while gliding into the circle (right arm 90 degrees on right side)
~ Turn head & shoulder to left into middle of circle
~ Look back into the middle of the circle
(These 2 action will increase the movement to curl into the circle)
~ With the right leg gliding behind, bring them in closing the toes side by side
~ let it start spining standing tall
~ the close your arms to increase rotation

If this helps!

BlueIcePlaza
10-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Lots of ways to Try ... these 2 are some ...

Anti-Clockwise in place

~ Swing & check both arm to right with body all twisted
~ Look left & Swing both arms in left now
~ Let it spin with open arms to balance (slow spin)
~ Once balance, close arms to increase spin rotation

Anti-clockwise direction while gliding

~ Skating forward to gain speed
~ Go on a 2 foot glide in a circle (from bigger to smaller circle)
~ Practice placing left hand forward with left leg & hand slightly front while gliding into the circle (right arm 90 degrees on right side)
~ Turn head & shoulder to left into middle of circle
~ Look back into the middle of the circle
(These 2 action will increase the movement to curl into the circle)
~ With the right leg gliding behind, bring them in closing the toes side by side
~ let it start spining standing tall
~ the close your arms to increase rotation

If this helps!

I prefer doing the 2 foot glide on a circle, clockwise - but I will give it a try, it sounds like I could do it with a little practise!
Many thanks. :D

Skittl1321
10-26-2006, 06:17 PM
We learned how to do two footed spins by standing still with our feet parallel, and then essentially winding up our body and then swinging it into the spin as if hitting a baseball. I never could spin at all until I got "real" blades though.

I'm also a clockwise spinner, although I try and try to do it counterclockwise. CCW is the "norm" in skating and I want to do synchro, so I'm going to have to figure it out somehow. (There are some moves I'm able to pick up in both directions already)

PreciseIce
10-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Actually I'm a CW training skater too. But I can do CCW recreationally as well ... for singles jumps and scratch spins, some camel, etc...

They are about the same.
It's just how comfy you are.

They are all about edges & if you're good in it, you can do anyside. ;P Just reverse them... but can be messy & challening when you 1st started. Most of my skaters cab do both sides for very basic stuff (half rotations ... use them for footwork).

Have FUN ... we are skaters !!!!