View Full Version : Females only...

sue123
10-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Men, you have been warned. I'm just wondering if any other women have the problem of not being able to skate at all during that time of the month. Every time I try, my balance is always off, I get dizzy much easier, and for some reason, nothing works. Since I've started birth control, I don't really get cramps, so I dont think that might be throwing me off. My right foot also swells for some reason, not my left just my right, and so my foot doesn't really fit so well in my boot either. Anyone else have a few days a month when no matter what, they just can't skate even if they try?

renatele
10-25-2006, 02:00 PM
I noticed that I lose whatever spinning ability I have (not much to start with... LOL) about 1 week before af is due through the first couple of days.

Skate@Delaware
10-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Maybe it's due to water retention. I recently had a bout of labrynthitis which is fluid buildup in the inner ear (where your balance center is) so maybe the extra fluid buildup affects that part of the body also. It's worth blaming that! :twisted:

Rusty Blades
10-25-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm past menopause and on HRT, so things aren't as cyclic as they used to be but I still find my feet are fatter some times than others - go figger! How easily I get dizzy seems to have more to do with how well rested I am. (Didn't skate from age 19 to 56, so can't comment further.)

jazzpants
10-25-2006, 02:48 PM
Maybe it's due to water retention. I recently had a bout of labrynthitis which is fluid buildup in the inner ear (where your balance center is) so maybe the extra fluid buildup affects that part of the body also. It's worth blaming that! :twisted:If you are also dizzy, the heavy blood loss is definitely partly to blame, especially if you are anemic (as I am...)

In my case, I have totally zapped by Day 3!!! No energy!!! I'm lucky that I can even skate, b/c I lost so much iron that I'm drained... 8O :giveup:

sk8_4fun
10-25-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm just more likely to desolve into tears when it dos'nt go right:frus:

Isk8NYC
10-25-2006, 03:10 PM
In my case, I have totally zapped by Day 3!!! I'm exhausted for 2-3 days UNTIL mine begins. Then my energy returns.

My OB/GYN has me take Vitamin B12 (?) daily, which has helped somewhat.
(I'm terribly out of shape.)

I get more clutzy than usual, but my spins don't suffer - just the footwork (haha) and jumps. More often, I get frustrated and have to leave early.

skaternum
10-25-2006, 03:41 PM
One of the skating moms at our rink is an OB/GYN. She said that the hormonal imbalance that occurs monthly has a known effect on balance and depth perception, regardless of water retention or other factors.

PattyP
10-25-2006, 03:54 PM
I used to not be able to skate at all the first day of my period. Like others said, just clutzy and bit off balence, but it was only that one day. I finally learned not to have my lesson on that day.

I've now had the "plumbing" removed, so I don't have that problem any more...woohoo!

lovepairs
10-25-2006, 04:19 PM
I find that if I go on the ice, during the second day, I'm totally drained and feel like a wet noodle. However, I also find that if I push myself through this feeling and skate that not only does this feeling go away rather quickly, but the cramps completely go away, too! Skating does have it's advantages :D

vesperholly
10-25-2006, 04:37 PM
My coach always knows it's my time of the month when I start crying in lessons. :giveup:

e-skater
10-25-2006, 04:39 PM
I used to not be able to skate at all the first day of my period. Like others said, just clutzy and bit off balence, but it was only that one day. I finally learned not to have my lesson on that day.

I've now had the "plumbing" removed, so I don't have that problem any more...woohoo!

Oh I had a big problem when I used to ski. Balance, everything. I had some of my worst falls skiing actually.......due to a strange clumsiness! But now I don't have to worry about it anymore. When I first started skating I did, and it wasn't fun, as I felt "off", but now....YIPPEEEE! No longer have that worry!

Sonic
10-25-2006, 04:50 PM
I really feel lousy on the first day, but like lovepairs I have found that skating eases the discomfort. Even if I don't attempt any moves, just stroking helps.

I am dreading the day it and when coincides with a skating-dress-wearing occasion....:frus:

S xxx

sue123
10-25-2006, 05:00 PM
One of the skating moms at our rink is an OB/GYN. She said that the hormonal imbalance that occurs monthly has a known effect on balance and depth perception, regardless of water retention or other factors.

Nice to know I'm not crazy, and that there actually is something that affects everything.

I am dreading the day it and when coincides with a skating-dress-wearing occasion....

My mom had it on her wedding day. Of course, she was wearing layers and layers of skirt, so nothing came through teh front, but I can imagine in a skirt. Which is why I will never be seen in a skirt around that time.

Although I am considering practicing in a skirt because I've gotten my skates caught in my pants after I've fallen trying to get up too many times. So imagine if you will I fall, try to get up, but my toepick is caught in my pants, so I end up falling again.

coskater64
10-25-2006, 05:24 PM
It took some time but like several of the others I'll feel out of balance but if I push through it will make me feel better in the end. It did take some time, having currently lost about 10 lbs of serious lean muscle I currently have serious back pain for several days during "that time" combined with 50% of my normal strength makes skating very difficult.8O 8O 8O

looplover
10-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Yes I am worthless on the ice the day before, and probably the first day as well but I don't think I've ever skated on the first day of my period. I hope I never have to! 8O

lovepairs
10-25-2006, 05:27 PM
I am dreading the day it and when coincides with a skating-dress-wearing occasion....

I always get it on the morning of a competition--never fails! It's like winning the negative lottery.

I am having my seamstress put extra lining you know where, becaue I know it's going to happen, again...never fails. Always, on important days, and never on days when I'm just home doin no-thing! :frus:

doubletoe
10-25-2006, 05:40 PM
The week leading up to my period, I have no patience, get discouraged and frustrated easily, and sometimes just feel like plopping myself down on the ice for a good cry. I always warn my coach. :roll:
The day before, I have a surge of energy which can either help or hurt my skating (since it doesn't come with an extra surge of control).
The first two days of my period, I have cramps and am tired, especially in my core muscles. That's how I pulled a back muscle a few months ago, skating my program on the first day of my period.
My cramps weren't as bad when I religiously took my calcium and Omega 3/fish oil every day. . . Hmm. . .that reminds me. . . (reaching for my calcium and fish oil capsules!).

kateskate
10-25-2006, 05:48 PM
I always get it on the morning of a competition--never fails! It's like winning the negative lottery.

That happens to me all the time!

I never feel a negative effect on my skating though. Maybe I'm lucky. I even had a coach who said with everyone else there was a noticable different with skating and mood but with me nothing. I guess I'm lucky.

Terri C
10-25-2006, 06:31 PM
I am dreading the day it and when coincides with a skating-dress-wearing occasion....:frus: S xxx

For me it's happened not once, but three times. Auntie decided to accompany me to two out of three competitions last season- arriving on the first day of events.
What happens to me is strange. A few days before, I can center spins like mad! Last week, the monthly occaision stole my sitspin, and forward perimeter stroking, but let me keep power threes and jumps.

2salch0w
10-25-2006, 07:30 PM

slusher
10-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Am I allowed to comment on what it's like for ME when my partner is having HER period? Just wondering.

Tim

all you're allowed to say is

"I'm sorry, everything must be my fault. I'm sorry, everything must be my fault, I'm sorry, everything must be my fault" Repeat as needed.

Back to topic, I do know that my joints feel different during my cycle, there is always a couple of really painful days before aunt flow visits, and about a week later, evyerthing feels absolutely great. I'm hoping test day is going to land on a non-puffy, painless joint day. I'm planning on wearing the black skirt though, because I don't get that kind of luck.

jazzpants
10-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Am I allowed to comment on what it's like for ME when my partner is having HER period? Just wondering.Only if you have a death wish!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sk8pdx
10-25-2006, 07:54 PM
The week leading up to my period, I have no patience, get discouraged and frustrated easily, and sometimes just feel like plopping myself down on the ice for a good cry. I always warn my coach. :roll:
The day before, I have a surge of energy which can either help or hurt my skating (since it doesn't come with an extra surge of control).
The first two days of my period, I have cramps and am tired, especially in my core muscles.

Ditto here. The first day is completely disabling. (*weeping from emotional/hormonal turmoil, she folds in half with a heating pad, downs 6 Ibuprofen and turns out the light for a long 4 hour nap*). ... and bring on the carbs and lots of ice cream!

I am dreading the day it and when coincides with a skating-dress-wearing occasion...

I have won the negative lottery too! 3 times:twisted:

Lovepairs: I am sure that in your skating discipline this manifests other unique umm... circumstances :oops:.:halo: ??? (NO pairs practice for a week until its over! :twisted: :P)

Rusty Blades
10-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Only if you have a death wish!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ROFLMAO!!!!

Years ago, when I was still married, a bunch of us (men and women) were talking and one of the women mentioned PMS. I said I never had PMS - the look my husband gave me would peel paint! Ok, I was never bothered by it.

Do you really want to comment Tim? It is worth it? :roll:

sue123
10-25-2006, 08:54 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!

Years ago, when I was still married, a bunch of us (men and women) were talking and one of the women mentioned PMS. I said I never had PMS - the look my husband gave me would peel paint! Ok, I was never bothered by it.

Do you really want to comment Tim? It is worth it? :roll:

Lol Tim, I don't know if you really should. You could probably talk to my dad though, he's in a house full of women, and we're all on similar cycles. Well, my mom is premenaupasal now, which means it's like PMSx10. Add on me and my sister, and my poor father goes running out of the house.

Actually, I get to go on a plane tomorrow with my auntie coming alons as an extra passanger :roll: Oh well. Hopefully the security won't go through my bag at the x-ray and pull out all my pads and tampons.

FallDownGoBoom
10-25-2006, 10:10 PM
I try to work through it. I tell myself to listen to my body and work with it. Aim for what I can accomplish instead of what I can't. I consider it a little time off for concentrating on flexion or balance. For slowing down, fooling around, watching other skaters, enjoying a cup of tea.

That said, the whole thing is hateful.

Chico
10-25-2006, 10:14 PM
When I first started skating my coach of the time always knew. She said that balance always went out the window for female skaters at this time. I'm another one who gets tired and cold three or four days before and always feel great during. During the poor balance time I get frusterated easily and I have cried on a few occasions. My old coach could be a yeller and some days the combo was just too much. So, yes.

Chico

tidesong
10-25-2006, 10:27 PM
My skating generally goes downslope until its about to happen... then it gets better and is generally decent DURING... and after that it slowly goes down again. :frus: I wonder if its because of the weight loss due to the end of water retention that helps the skating then? Yikes. And no, luckily I dont get any pain during.

Mercedeslove
10-25-2006, 10:44 PM
I get really dizzy with my spins as well. I also have no energy and get killer cramps and knee pain. I hate skating when aunt flow his here, but I hat not skating just the same.

aussieskater
10-25-2006, 11:27 PM

"I'm sorry, everything must be my fault. I'm sorry, everything must be my fault, I'm sorry, everything must be my fault" Repeat as needed.

Alternatively, if that isn't working, you can try, "It's all my fault. Here, have some chocolate." :)

SkatingOnClouds
10-26-2006, 03:33 AM
It never occurred to me that my menstrual cycle might affect my skating. I know I am off when I've coming down with a cold or something.

I embrace the notion of anything else I can blame for poor skating, so I shall have to pay more attention to any menstrual effect.

lovepairs
10-26-2006, 05:49 AM
On the tail end of it, I get this HUGE energy surge and those are my best skating days. I figure that it is the change in hormones. If only all of my skating days could be like that third, or fourth day after, then I'd be in business! ;)

Tinkerbell
10-26-2006, 08:24 AM

Wow!
That's an insight. I thought I was the only one who stood out in the center circle choking back tears of frustration and rage.

I really thought I was developing clinical depression last week and bawled my whole way home--just because I was politely asked to stop hogging the middle so this kid could work on his spin.

Of course, the latter might be true as well.

And my spins seem to just have good days and bad. More bad than good most of the time. Once upon a time--weeks/months ago--I could do a one foot spin. Today--no more. I'm lucky to get the two feet going.

skate_star
10-26-2006, 09:07 AM
I have a really funny story about this. I was at skating with my friends and there were 5 of us. All of us had rly bad cramps and we were completely PMSing. We were really hyper and found absolutely everything funny and we couldn't stop laughing for the whole time we were at skating. Our coach got really mad at us and starting yelling at us, but we all didn't care because at that point we just found it so funny that all of us had it at the same time.

Mrs Redboots
10-26-2006, 12:32 PM

"I'm sorry, everything must be my fault. I'm sorry, everything must be my fault, I'm sorry, everything must be my fault" Repeat as needed.To which you add, "Have some chocolate!"

Oh, the joy of being past all that! Utter, utter, bliss. Getting old does have some compensations - not many, but that is quite definitely one of them!

icedancer2
10-26-2006, 01:04 PM
Oh, the joy of being past all that! Utter, utter, bliss. Getting old does have some compensations - not many, but that is quite definitely one of them!

I totally agree! Being menopausal, I find those little things called "hot flashes" very sweet when I am skating in a cold, cold rink -- no more sweaters for me! (Well, just for those brief period of time, but still, it feels good to skate sleeveless sometimes!!).

I think our periods (or lack of them, hormonal surges or the body's desparate cry for them), the tides, barometric pressure, etc., have a great deal of effect on our lives, and of course, our skating -- how else to explain why one day's practice is fabulous and you feel great, and the next day, the same elements, you can't even think about getting right!

I usually blame the ice, or my blades, but there's more to it than that!

Isk8NYC
10-26-2006, 01:13 PM
It's the moon, I tell you!

We're all skating lunatics!

Rusty Blades
10-26-2006, 01:47 PM
I totally agree! Being menopausal, I find those little things called "hot flashes" very sweet when I am skating in a cold, cold rink -- no more sweaters for me! (Well, just for those brief period of time, but still, it feels good to skate sleeveless sometimes!!).

Speak for yourself! I hated being wrapped in 6 layers of Polar Fleece one minute and then being stripped to a T-shirt, saying to the coaches "My gawd it's hot in here!" the next (and then being back in the fleece 20 minutes later)! Thank gawd for good drugs! LOL!

Mrs Redboots
10-26-2006, 02:05 PM
I totally agree! Being menopausal, I find those little things called "hot flashes" very sweet when I am skating in a cold, cold rink -- no more sweaters for me! (Well, just for those brief period of time, but still, it feels good to skate sleeveless sometimes!!)Indeed it does! What makes me laugh is when you are at a competition and the skaters are rushing to the open door to get some air because of their hot flushes! You think, well, this doesn't happen to the Kerrs or Kimmie Meissner - YET!

ouijaouija
10-26-2006, 05:50 PM
well when i was first learning crossovers I would catch my 'bits' and it would always hurt, but luckily this doens't happen any more, but im sure many males know what I'm on about.

Figureskates
10-26-2006, 07:31 PM
Serious question from the male of the species.

Could a ladies Synchro team all come into "synch" with each other?

It would go a long way to explain how a team will just seem to not have it all together every once in awhile and at other times they will be totally on their game..

Rusty Blades
10-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Serious question from the male of the species.

Could a ladies Synchro team all come into "synch" with each other?

It would go a long way to explain how a team will just seem to not have it all together every once in awhile and at other times they will be totally on their game..

When I was much younger and lived in a dorm with 20 or so other women, it seemed very common to end up in sync after a few months. Absolutely no idea how it happens but it seems to require spending a LOT of time together.

crayonskater
10-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Women can sync, but it takes more than practicing a couple times a day together. (Classmates don't often sync.) More likely it's just that if some of the synchro team is having a bad day, it affects everyone's mood.

I haven't noticed much of an effect in my own skating, except that my legs get tired slightly more easily. I basically feel like I've already worked out for an hour.

sue, after you've been on the pill a while, you'll probably notice that most of the PMS symptoms lessen.

I think I can
10-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Let's not mention the fact that I just ate a HUGE hamburger with onion rings. Its amazing how much I can eat the week before and two days into it.

I am usually so bloated that jumping should not be attempted!

PreciseIce
10-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Everyone of you is unique & different ... When skaters are having classes on these days & it affects them alittle more, we work on edges getting them stronger ... then spins ... and it's interesting - I found that they enjoy classes alot better when you help them work on the edges getting it stronger, cleaner ... stretching gets easier.

Somehow skaters also find themselves more flexible during these days too!

It's all in the mind ... positive, negetive ... why not accept it & work on something what might actually help & get better? There so maybe ways ...just have to find the right one for you.